• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Send Bennell to the VFL

Summer Blease

People... please!! I believe Bennell had a good game yesterday, this is totally beside the point. He is a second year player, this is also beside the point. My suggestion of dropping him to the VFL has nothing to do with his game yesterday, it has everything to do with his lack of bravery and that alone. He doesn't like body contact, full stop!

To become ruthless we need to start acting ruthless, not that a temporary drop to the VFL to address a pertinant deficiancy is being exactly ruthless, but we need to stop being so timid for once.

Yes I agree, I didn't see the game yesterday unfortunately, but I did see fox-tel for the last Qtr & a half. I saw that effort when Davey chipped the ball to him & the disappointment when I saw him do that was deflating for me, how would it be for his teamates who were putting their bodies on the line.

This needs to be nipped in the Bud right Now.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%. It needs to be stopped not just for JB but for the rest of the team. Call it a line in the sand the same way that good players like Robbo and Trapper were let go for not doing the 1%'er team things. We can't afford to have players not going 100% all of the time. But he is young and I think he will learn. Fear of letting down your mates is often stronger than the fear of getting hurt.

'Rojik of the Arctic', good point, we've let players go for not doing the team things, we must stand by those principles.

Bennell will be ok. As stated it will be pointed out to him this week and its really then becomes all about how he responds...

We let him off, then we'll let the next one go as well, then Sylvia can go out on the town, & Bail can miss a training run?

We let him off, then we'll let the next one go as well, then Sylvia can go out on the town, & Bail can miss a training run?

Yea because people cannot learn from their mistakes can they? They must be punished no matter what. Otherwise he will probably end up doing it again right? Do you really think the fact it will be made a deal out of and pointed out to him wont make a difference next time he goes for the ball? Do the other excellent things he did yesterday count for nothing? What do you think is actually achieved in terms of his development by dropping to the VFL? To teach him a lesson? A lesson I'm sure he will have already now learned....

Yea because people cannot learn from their mistakes can they? They must be punished no matter what. Otherwise he will probably end up doing it again right? Do you really think the fact it will be made a deal out of and pointed out to him wont make a difference next time he goes for the ball? Do the other excellent things he did yesterday count for nothing? What do you think is actually achieved in terms of his development by dropping to the VFL? To teach him a lesson? A lesson I'm sure he will have already now learned....

They can & do, that s how I learn, that is the things that I have learnt, theres plenty I struggle with comprehending, more than most.

But there's bigger issues here than Bennell himself, & that is the team culture that is growing parallel with these boys.

We see plenty of Lack of a good culture on the news every week on the news, usually around Southbank or King street, & we've seen it in recent years @ the Pies, see Didak & Shaw, also see Betts & Houlihan, & Fev.

Its time to make a stand & draw a line in our own sandpit.

Yes, he undid all the good hard work he'd done for the game with that effort & the others I noticed following. Don't ask me which Qtr, I'd need to see the replay to be certain of the time in the Qtr.

Edited by dee-luded

yea i think they are different issues tbh...

your reference to off field issues are where people have made poor considered judgements placing themselves in those situations.

Bennell is of good character and as was pointed out did some other things which showed character as well as doing a good job for the team up forward...

Drop him if performance warrants..

Drop him if he consistantly has shirked these contests...

If not give him an opportunity to show us and his team mates what he is prepared to do..he will never look back and that will lift some of his team mates who are less inclined to have a crack on a weekly basis at a much higher weight division....

bennell wasnt that bad.

if anyone should b dropped its bloody newton.

he is more afraid then bennell..

least bennell can add abit of pace

drop newton for martin!

Newton at least showed a bit, Should we bring Miller back. Were you at game Armstrong ?? Because if you were you would have liked how Newton gave us a bit of structre early on. Just another cliche post !! My advice go to games and watch what players offer before offering short sighted opinions.

I don't think Bennell shirked it. I believe he heard a call from Newton to leave it and as a result he half pulled out of the marking contest. That's how it came over on foxtel anyway.

I saw it live and on Foxtel. You'd have been better claiming he was hit by a seagull. It was a shirk.

He wont get dropped this week for it but he would want to rectify this quick smart. There are 15 clubs that are giong to work him over for it

I saw it live and on Foxtel. You'd have been better claiming he was hit by a seagull. It was a shirk.

He wont get dropped this week for it but he would want to rectify this quick smart. There are 15 clubs that are giong to work him over for it

I agree Rhino it was a shirk plain and simple. I have been watching football for 50 years and played in my earlier days ( unfortunately not enough skill for this level ). I have seen plenty of guys like JB. lots of skill but they are frightened and from my experience it never goes away. I saw JB do it last year, last week and twice yesterday. Unfortunately in spite of his other talents this problem will not go away. Back to Casey for me and I doubt he will be with the Dees a couple of years down the track. Hope I am wrong but my gut tells me otherwise.

No doubt he dogged it. That's not the issue. It's what the coach does about it that's the key to Bennell's success. Bennell and Bailey should read The Red Fox. Smithy had a very straightforward approach to players with courage issues

'Rojik of the Arctic', good point, we've let players go for not doing the team things, we must stand by those principles.

Fair point but i would hope the Team can remind him of it during the week. No we cannot let those 1% mistakes become acceptable, but don't forget the mark he took down the city end. I would give him a game next week along with a rocket in his ear-it is a Team battle out there, everyone has to stand up.

Edited by why you little

No doubt he dogged it. That's not the issue. It's what the coach does about it that's the key to Bennell's success. Bennell and Bailey should read The Red Fox. Smithy had a very straightforward approach to players with courage issues

I can't read. What was his approach?

I can't read. What was his approach?

You should get your mum to read it to you.

Norm Smith played with, and coached, a few players who had served with our armed forces during the Second World War and this was where the standard was set. Showing courage and respect for team mates was the most important quality that MFC players could possess. If a player 'jibbed it' ( as Smith referred to the act of pulling out of a contest ), Smith would tear him apart verbally in front of his team mates, eyeballing the player ferociously. If he did not compete relentlessly and bravely at every opportunity after that, he would be shown the door. So developed players of the character of McGivern, Cordners, McMahen, Beckwith and Barassi.

The Demons of 1952-53 showed similar characteristics to our current list. As I said, get your mum to read it to you.

You should get your mum to read it to you.

Norm Smith played with, and coached, a few players who had served with our armed forces during the Second World War and this was where the standard was set. Showing courage and respect for team mates was the most important quality that MFC players could possess. If a player 'jibbed it' ( as Smith referred to the act of pulling out of a contest ), Smith would tear him apart verbally in front of his team mates, eyeballing the player ferociously. If he did not compete relentlessly and bravely at every opportunity after that, he would be shown the door. So developed players of the character of McGivern, Cordners, McMahen, Beckwith and Barassi.

The Demons of 1952-53 showed similar characteristics to our current list. As I said, get your mum to read it to you.

She can't read either, so thanks for explaining that part of the book to me.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Fair point but i would hope the Team can remind him of it during the week. No we cannot let those 1% mistakes become acceptable, but don't forget the mark he took down the city end. I would give him a game next week along with a rocket in his ear-it is a Team battle out there, everyone has to stand up.

I agree that that mark was a pearler it might explain why I felt so let down when he didn't go the next time. I also agree that it can be worked out in house with a little bit of "name and shame". As long as the group understands that if they don't want to go there is a big queue of players behind them that would love the chance to play and that will go when it is there turn.

Skill errors I can forgive but for a couple of years now we have had players that have been given games no matter how soft their last weeks dig was and it produced a culture of near enough is good enough. Those days are over and it is time other teams feared our footsteps.

Have to say guys, one of Brad Green's goals came from Bennell backing into danger and emerging with the ball. He showed a lot of poise, kept his feet and never took his eyes off the ball. Had the two Pies not hit each other he would have been crunched. Admittedly, this is not always the case, but you have to admit that he doesn't always shirk the contest.

The claim's not that he always shirks the contest. Once is too many though and it was very costly in the context of this game. As Rojik said, it was extremely disappointing especially given his other efforts in the game.

If this element of his game is not repaired now, his career is cactus before it's really gotten off the ground and that would be hugely disappointing since it's clear the guy can play. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that.

I agree that that mark was a pearler it might explain why I felt so let down when he didn't go the next time. I also agree that it can be worked out in house with a little bit of "name and shame". As long as the group understands that if they don't want to go there is a big queue of players behind them that would love the chance to play and that will go when it is there turn.

Skill errors I can forgive but for a couple of years now we have had players that have been given games no matter how soft their last weeks dig was and it produced a culture of near enough is good enough. Those days are over and it is time other teams feared our footsteps.

It produced this culture we're trying to leave behind now, because we let that fungus grow between our toes, without treating the cause back around 2002/3.

I can tell you now, Barassi wouldn't tolerate it for one second, let alone Jordan.

If Jordan was coaching that team on the weekend, he would have coached from the boundary line, & No person in the MCG would be under any illusion about his thoughts regarding Bennells NON EFFORT.

And he would have had some time to ponder his time off the field & if he wanted a game next week.

This is a crucial time for young Jamie's football, as he's forming the mental template that he will play by throughout his career, I think he would expect punishment, if he gets away with it, it'll happen again in the future.

Maybe in 2014 in a Grand Final against Collingwood during the 3rd Qtr whilst we're 4 pts up & have them on the ropes.

Newton at least showed a bit, Should we bring Miller back. Were you at game Armstrong ?? Because if you were you would have liked how Newton gave us a bit of structre early on. Just another cliche post !! My advice go to games and watch what players offer before offering short sighted opinions.

i was there or i wouldnt have said anything about him??

you said your point and i can say mine

i never said anything about miller

but i think to get delisted and then re drafted says alot about a player

he only got picked up IF no one else picked him up

i just cant find anything i like about this guy....

It produced this culture we're trying to leave behind now, because we let that fungus grow between our toes, without treating the cause back around 2002/3.

I can tell you now, Barassi wouldn't tolerate it for one second, let alone Jordan.

If Jordan was coaching that team on the weekend, he would have coached from the boundary line, & No person in the MCG would be under any illusion about his thoughts regarding Bennells NON EFFORT.

And he would have had some time to ponder his time off the field & if he wanted a game next week.

This is a crucial time for young Jamie's football, as he's forming the mental template that he will play by throughout his career, I think he would expect punishment, if he gets away with it, it'll happen again in the future.

Maybe in 2014 in a Grand Final against Collingwood during the 3rd Qtr whilst we're 4 pts up & have them on the ropes.

Totally agree. Except for that last bit. Collingwood won't be within cooee of the 2014 Grand Final, so there's no need to worry there.

So I guess most people say he shirked the issue, and I tend to agree, but to say he needs to be punished and if he does not get punished it will set a bad example so lets drop him.

Who is to say he has not been berated at 3/4 time!

Who is to say he will not be shown the video and be told about!

Who is to say his teammates gave him a bake on the ground!

Who is to say they dont show it in a club video review!

We dont know what will happen, but so many people jump on him and want retribution. I am certain something will be made of it, but if he is dropped (which I think would be a bad move) I would be very surprised.

There are plenty of players who are a little scared, but courage is not always putting your head over the ball to be smashed or running back with the flight (although I wish all players did it all the time), courage is also seeing JB chasing players the full length of the ground in the final quarter, it is seeing JB try and chase and harrass 2 opponents in the final quarter. We are not all made to be Jonathon Browns!

(and just wondering how many people play/have played football and have never "shirked" an issue, sadly I know I have!)

So I guess most people say he shirked the issue, and I tend to agree, but to say he needs to be punished and if he does not get punished it will set a bad example so lets drop him.

We dont know what will happen, but so many people jump on him and want retribution. I am certain something will be made of it, but if he is dropped (which I think would be a bad move) I would be very surprised.

There are plenty of players who are a little scared, but courage is not always putting your head over the ball to be smashed or running back with the flight (although I wish all players did it all the time), courage is also seeing JB chasing players the full length of the ground in the final quarter, it is seeing JB try and chase and harrass 2 opponents in the final quarter. We are not all made to be Jonathon Browns!

(and just wondering how many people play/have played football and have never "shirked" an issue, sadly I know I have!)

HHhmmmm tough issue this one. It is horrible to see a player pull out of a potential contest on the field and if you're playing with them your 1st reaction is to blow your stack... I do hope we have gone away from that in todays footy. Not to sure giving someone a spray for it is the way to go unless it is a continueing theme for that player.

Take him aside and have a quiet chat, show him the incident and mention he must continue it. I'm sure he would have been disappointed in himself and felt some shame for it BUT it is something that can change over time and I hope it does. If not then it can tend to dilute the confidence you have in that team mate on the field and denegration off it.

Bennell shows a lot of dash and drive out of def 50 and his little bit up fwd on Sat was nice to see. He needs to lift a few things and heres hoping he gets the support to do it.

They seemed to accept the non efforts and buffoonery of Crosswell, Jackson and Keenan at MFC. Time to get off the soapbox.

Silly isnt it. Dropping him at this point is not the answer. But he will counselled on it.

There are plenty of players who are a little scared, but courage is not always putting your head over the ball to be smashed or running back with the flight (although I wish all players did it all the time),

Its about 99% of it. Courage is committing to the contest. At AFL level there can be no compromises.

courage is also seeing JB chasing players the full length of the ground in the final quarter, it is seeing JB try and chase and harrass 2 opponents in the final quarter. We are not all made to be Jonathon Browns!

He has great aerobic capacity and pace but thats not courage. I would like to see him put more pressure on the ball carrier each and every time.

Maybe its how many people have played AFL and shirked a contest. If he cant rectify it he wont last in AFL.

People still don't get it.... it's not a punishment for F's sake- it's sending him to a weaker to work on his toughness. In theory, even if it's only in Bennell's head, Bennell should by rights dominate in these games and hopefully that confidence can translate into confidence in body.

Bennell knows he stuffed up and was embarrased. He was looking for a hole to bury himself in, couldn't find one so had to 'stretch out his aching calf'- which incidently made it even more embarrasing. We can leave him in the side and tell him he stuffed up when he would already know, or we can be proactive and do something about it. And sending him to the VFL is not a punishment- people get sent their to work on fitness as to not 'show them up' in the big league, why can't it be the same for courage?

Once again, this IS NOT punishment..

Guest 45 double agent

People still don't get it.... it's not a punishment for F's sake- it's sending him to a weaker to work on his toughness. In theory, even if it's only in Bennell's head, Bennell should by rights dominate in these games and hopefully that confidence can translate into confidence in body.

Bennell knows he stuffed up and was embarrased. He was looking for a hole to bury himself in, couldn't find one so had to 'stretch out his aching calf'- which incidently made it even more embarrasing. We can leave him in the side and tell him he stuffed up when he would already know, or we can be proactive and do something about it. And sending him to the VFL is not a punishment- people get sent their to work on fitness as to not 'show them up' in the big league, why can't it be the same for courage?

Once again, this IS NOT punishment..

your born with courage,its not something you can coach, hes going to be good player, but i dont think it will be the last time young jamie hears footsteps.