Changes for Rd 3 vs Adelaide

Bang Bang Bang

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance Maric and Martin might be required to show some form at Casey first?

Despite his tremors, Bennell has shown more than Maric. Why trade down at the moment?

If he is fit Sylvia for Bartram.

Agree.

I agree; he's good but no world beater. Doesn't have enough arrows in his quiver - unlike Petterd - but has the turning circle of a Landcruiser. Can't mark overhead, as a rule. I'm not denying he's an important if limited player, but under-done he's just not giving enough. Perhaps if he retains his place, he'll show something next week.

Bate mightn't be a world beater but I reckon you've got short memory syndrome. There aren't too many players who can play as a KPP, a midfielder and a half-forward flanker with aplomb, and two top-five finishes in the B&F in the past three years is testament to his consistency.

Not as many "arrows in his quiver" as Petterd? You're kidding. I'd suggest that Bate is a far more rounded player than Ricky at AFL level. You've been blinded by Ricky's strong start to 2010.

I suspect you and many others are deceived by appearances - while Bate might look ungainly at times, he's certainly quick for his size. A thumping long kick for goal and what's more, a generally accurate field kick. Finally, lumping him in the same 'can't mark over his head' basket as Paul Johnson is plain wrong.

Edited by MikeyJ

I would think we should be keeping Newton in for this week... I get the feeling that part of the reason for Petterd's good showing was that Newton took some of the heat off him (don't ask me why, but I think there is still this perception that he can be a damaging forward). The upside of keeping him there is that if Adelaide turn their focus on Petterd, then all of a sudden Newton does become a genuine option. Just a thought :)

IN - Sylvia Rivers

OUT - Bruce Bartram

Sylvia and Rivers are certainty's if fit.

Bartram is a weak link. Enough said. He is lucky to have played one senior game this year.

Bruce is soft, soft, soft.

He puts team mates under extreme pressure with his pissy little handballs whenever it looks like he is about to receive physical contact.

This in my opinion is 10 times worst than Bennell's shirking effort.

Bruce is a 200 game player who constanly takes the soft option, while Bennell is a second year player, very small and slightly built and still coming to grips with playing AFL against full grown men. Give him a break. He will learn from this.

I doubt you will see this again from Bennell.

Happy to persist with Strauss and the other kids. We have to get games into these kids as they are our future.

IN - Sylvia Rivers

OUT - Bruce Bartram

Bartram is a weak link. Enough said. He is lucky to have played one senior game this year.

He puts team mates under extreme pressure with his pissy little handballs whenever it looks like he is about to receive physical contact.

Bruce is a 200 game player who constanly takes the soft option, while Bennell is a second year player, very small and slightly built and still coming to grips with playing AFL against full grown men. Give him a break. He will learn from this.

Happy to persist with Strauss and the other kids. We have to get games into these kids as they are our future.

I was feeling a bit down today, back at work after a good Easter break, then I read your bit about Bruce, gave me a really good laugh and cheered me up no end.

Bruce played a lot of the time on Saturday on Cloke, Collingwood's midget, obviously Bailey wants to give him a nice soft job.

Bruce is our Mr Fixit in the back half, coming off an interrupted pre season, finishes in the top 10 in B&F every year, obviously you can see something everybody else can't

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Will Bate survive this week? I guess he served a purpose up forward but geez he looked slow. Like he was jogging on the spot again. Not sure what has happened there. His hands and vision were off too. Will be lucky to survive IMHO. May survive purely because there is no replacement for him. The options are Martin, Miller or some lesser known commodity. Sylvia may come in for Cement legs ..who knows!!

I think that at this stage it is best to get as much continuity in the team as possible. I dont think too many ins and outs are good for the side. I would persist with Juice. Although he didn't fire many shots, he provided a tall option up forward. At least there was a contest and the ball was brought to ground when he was there. I would rather see that than an empty fwd 50 and an opposition backman marking unopposed.

* +

* -

OUT:

Bennell: I like the kid and think he could become a fine player, however, you simply can't let any player get away with not going hard enough, skirting when it was his time to go. An example must be made, a week or two at

Casey to refect will set an example and hopefully teach Bennell a leason he never forgets.

Bartam: I was happy with his game on Saturday, but simply must get dropped for a better player "Sylvia". If a good match up (Tag) exists for Bartam then Strause may be the unlucky one.

IN:

Maric: direct replacement for Bennell. Was a goal kicker during the preseason (in every game) and although slightly disappointing he seems ready for a break out game.

Sylvia: must return

OUT:

Bennell: I like the kid and think he could become a fine player, however, you simply can't let any player get away with not going hard enough, skirting when it was his time to go. An example must be made, a week or two at Casey to refect will set an example and hopefully teach Bennell a leason he never forgets.

IN:

Maric: direct replacement for Bennell. Was a goal kicker during the preseason (in every game) and although slightly disappointing he seems ready for a break out game.

Stupidity.

Maric showed nothing in the pre-season and has no form to speak of.

Bennell didn't play brilliantly, but he showed enough, that one dropped mark aside, to keep his spot.

I see a lot more upside to Bennell than Maric anyway.

Edited by titan_uranus

OUT:

Bartram - depth player at best. Served his purpose.

Newton - same again.

IN:

Sylvia - can wreak havoc.

Martin - can perform the role Newton was asked to but, I think, better.

I doubt Bennell would be dropped because of the negative effect it could have on his confidence.

Those dropped marks will not need to be pointed out to him and they will play on his mind all week. He should be given a chance to redeem himself.

Every player these days knows it's very simple: when it's your turn to go, you go.

He'll be spoken to, but I doubt they'll even need to do that.

If he happens to come out this week and do it again then he goes on the trade table. Simple.

Stupidity.

Maric showed nothing in the pre-season and has no form to speak of.

Bennell didn't play brilliantly, but he showed enough, that one dropped mark aside, to keep his spot.

I see a lot more upside to Bennell than Maric anyway.

I don't agree with dropping Bennell, but it's hard for us to speculate from outside the club.

We don't know who is performing better on the track and adapting to the gameplan quicker.

Maric showed quite a bit in the preseason and will be given chances this year, but he has to take them this year too or he will miss out.

Martin's an interesting one.

If we're going to play someone as a second-string ruckman who doesn't have a lot of ability in the ruck, and Newton currently holds that spot, then Martin could easily take that position. But we've seen Martin as a ruck and as a forward, and he's never really looked capable in either position at AFL level. I think Newton is probably a better forward, which says more about Martin than Newton.

Martin certainly has more upside than Newton though. I can't see Newton improving much from where he is now, but Martin could.

Martin's an interesting one.

If we're going to play someone as a second-string ruckman who doesn't have a lot of ability in the ruck, and Newton currently holds that spot, then Martin could easily take that position. But we've seen Martin as a ruck and as a forward, and he's never really looked capable in either position at AFL level. I think Newton is probably a better forward, which says more about Martin than Newton.

Martin certainly has more upside than Newton though. I can't see Newton improving much from where he is now, but Martin could.

I rate them equally as forwards and Martin the better ruckman.

I don't agree with dropping Bennell, but it's hard for us to speculate from outside the club.

We don't know who is performing better on the track and adapting to the gameplan quicker.

Maric showed quite a bit in the preseason and will be given chances this year, but he has to take them this year too or he will miss out.

I think he should be, but I now wonder If the club will.

His stats were very good, so he was quite busy.

I'll say it again, I'd drop him to make a statment to the whole list.

But I doubt the selectors will want to make too many changes & unbalance the side.

Ins: Sylvia / Rivers if fit

Out: Dunn / Bartram for Rivers

Bate's style of play isn't flashy- even at full flight and 100% fit he lacks style and grace, this is where people confuse unspectacular with lethargy- Bate is a SOLID workhorse- he is a steam train- he pulls out from the station slow and steady but once he gets a full head of steam up he is very hard to stop. Being a big clunky kind of guy he also has the turning circle of the Apollo 11 and likes to stay on a predetermined straight path, he is also solid overhead, without being flashy once again- workman like, unflashy and uncomprimising. Bate is cranking back into it. I am happy we have him, under-rated because under-sexy!

Maric no in- must show more.. I don't want to stuff around with the team too much this week as last week was one of our better performances in recent memory.. Do we actually have anyone BUSTING for selection? I'm just assuming Sylvia is ready to go..

I don't think Maric showed anything in the pre-season, but that's just me.

I rate Bennell higher, but there's no doubt he has to harden up (or, more aptly, rid himself of the moments in games where he looks like he opts out of going hard).

Agree that this is Maric's last year if he doesn't seize his chances. Same goes for McNamara and Cheney (if they do end up getting chances) I guess.

I don't think Maric showed anything in the pre-season, but that's just me.

I rate Bennell higher, but there's no doubt he has to harden up (or, more aptly, rid himself of the moments in games where he looks like he opts out of going hard).

Agree that this is Maric's last year if he doesn't seize his chances. Same goes for McNamara and Cheney (if they do end up getting chances) I guess.

Maric is an interesting one. I think we need to see him playing in an AFL game to judge him, preseason doesn't count for me.

For some reason I feel like McNamara and Cheney will be given more time.

McNamara because he is significantly younger and a medium-tall, Cheney because we lack a real nuggety midsize defender.

It really depends on what is on offer come draft time.

I think we stand to lose a combination of PJ, Newton, Meesen, Hughes, Healey, Bell, Miller and Bartram, depending on contract expiries.

I know 4 of those are rookie list, but i think it actually gives us scope to recruit well and retain all 3.

Maric is an interesting one. I think we need to see him playing in an AFL game to judge him, preseason doesn't count for me.

McNamara because he is significantly younger and a medium-tall, Cheney because we lack a real nuggety midsize defender.

I think we stand to lose a combination of PJ, Newton, Meesen, Hughes, Healey, Bell, Miller and Bartram, depending on contract expiries.

I know 4 of those are rookie list, but i think it actually gives us scope to recruit well and retain all 3.

Absolutely agree with all of that. I feel it's safe to say PJ, Bell, Miller, Hughes & Newton (barring minor miracle) are no longer dees next year for a start, with the rest depending on whats available in draft if better option. Cheney definately fills a niche in the small nuggety defender and he looks like he can become a good player! McNamara's age gets him over the line, plus there are so many more that have already been tried and failed, sheer numbers before them will see those two safe.

PJ, Bell, Miller will not be demons in 2011

Are people actually saying they would delist Maric if he does not become a premanent player this year?

I would not be doing that, he will get more of a go this season and hopefully show the doubters. He needs to get 4/5 games in a row, where he can play FP rotating in the midfield. If JB struggles, he will replace him.

We also need to have depth, we cant just have 22 players, we need 30 players capable of doing their bit when required.

I will get shouted down, but I would almost delist Wonna before Maric (even though I would not get rid of either yet), as he is always injured, at least Maric is available.

This is my two bobs worth.

Sylvia will be in, but not sure who he will replace.

Rivers will be in, again not sure for who.

These may or may not be the only changes

The next cabs off the rank will be Gysberts (already named as an emergency, Blease, will be knocking the door down, Jetta once fit had a taste and wants back in, Cheney who knocks the door down constantlym and then Watts.

Believe because of the physical development that Tom McNamara has shown, he is over 90k now so I believe and has grown a bit, will be developed as a backup for Warnock as our Gorilla minder, with a bit more of a skillset

If Newton is dropped this week, he will be deflated for him. As much as I would like to drop him for Martin, he needs a sold 5 games in the AFL to prove his worth to the side... Come on MFC delisted him then picked him up as a rookie, they obviously need him... Right???

On the other hand, Martin adds 5cm & 10kg to Newton this should add the needed support for Jamar in the ruck.

IN - Sylvia & Martin

OUT - Bartram & Bruce (he does seem flat, maybe a run for Casey would be good for him, a little nudge)

Love to see Garland back in the side.

Cheney definately fills a niche in the small nuggety defender and he looks like he can become a good player! McNamara's age gets him over the line, plus there are so many more that have already been tried and failed, sheer numbers before them will see those two safe.

PJ, Bell, Miller will not be demons in 2011

How many mid paced small nuggety forwards will a small nuggety defender like Cheney who lack pace will be required to play on and at whose expense in defense will he come in for?

McNamara will need to show something more than age to be continued in 2011.

I am no PJ fan. He might survive by default. Will Jamar take another contract with MFC next year? Will Spencer continue to improve throughout the year for a permanent elevation? If Jamar stays and Spencer is elevated, PJ is gone.

I would not be doing that, he will get more of a go this season and hopefully show the doubters. He needs to get 4/5 games in a row, where he can play FP rotating in the midfield. If JB struggles, he will replace him.

We also need to have depth, we cant just have 22 players, we need 30 players capable of doing their bit when required.

I will get shouted down, but I would almost delist Wonna before Maric (even though I would not get rid of either yet), as he is always injured, at least Maric is available.

Maric needs to justify selection for 4 to 5 games. And I would only extend his contract if the Footy Dept believed he would seriously challenge for a best 22 spot over the next 1 to 2 years. The day we hold players merely for "depth" is they day we go backwards.

If Wonna does not regain fitness this year, he might be cut. Could we rookie him? Mind you it is not necessarily a case of Maric or Wonna? If the right conditions exist both could go.

If Newton is dropped this week, he will be deflated for him. As much as I would like to drop him for Martin, he needs a sold 5 games in the AFL to prove his worth to the side... Come on MFC delisted him then picked him up as a rookie, they obviously need him... Right???

On the other hand, Martin adds 5cm & 10kg to Newton this should add the needed support for Jamar in the ruck.

IN - Sylvia & Martin

OUT - Bartram & Bruce (he does seem flat, maybe a run for Casey would be good for him, a little nudge)

Newton should count himself lucky he is still there. He has only got a game because Jurrah, Watts is injured, Miller, Martin out of form and Spencer a last minute withdrawal.

Its amazing that supporters will put one player above the team interest and player form to say that player is somehow needing or deserving of 5 games to prove his worth when he has not done so elsewhere at the Club in nearly six years. Amazing. So we drop our VC and 2008 B & F winner who played a fair game to keep Newton. Great.

I somewhat agree. It's tough to judge players when they're not playing in the AFL side, but similarly it's tough to get into the AFL side if you're not playing well at VFL level.

Maric hasn't shown anything (yet) at AFL level, and until his form warrants selection, he won't get back in.

So if he doesn't improve at Casey, he mightn't get back into the Melbourne side, and that might mean his chances for next year are diminished.

I definitely believe McNamara has what it takes to be an AFL player. I reckon he could be a good forward, as he has a nice long kick. Cheney is also a good player I think.

What I meant was that if the FD isn't giving them games this year then that doesn't bode well for their futures. Especially while we play players like Miller, Dunn, Newton, Bartram, an under-performing Bruce etc.

PJ, Bell, Miller, Bartram make 4 spots available. That should be enough I think, which gives Maric, McNamara, Cheney (and Dunn) more time.

IN - Sylvia Rivers

OUT - Bruce Bartram

In: Sylvia

Out: Bartram

Not sure on Garland or Rivers.

It does irk me that some of Bruce's hesitation and weak handball's do put some of his teammates under pressure from time to time. However, he wasn't the only one from Saturday's game. Not sure if Rivers is an adequate replacement for Bruce either, as Rivers plays down back and Bruce may have a role to play other than just down back. So if Rivers does come in, who does he replace down back ? MacDonald ? Warnock ? Frawley ? Strauss ? IMO these four went ok and Strauss needs games and his kicking is a weapon.

The Bate comments amuse me somewhat. Whilst it might be somewhat of deja vu for Bate's form compared to the first 4 rounds last year, he really lifted and I think he is on the improve.

You'll find my comments on Bate elsewhere. Last year Bate missed some pre season before the season, he appeared heavier and slow and his form early suffered. Soon enough he stripped fitter with a few games under his belt and had his best season to date in '09. I think he finds himself again short of a gallop having missed a fair portion of pre-training and is coming into form now having provided lead up options and running the game out on Saturday. He was one of our main targets all year last year. The others being Jurrah & the retired legend *cough* in Robbo.

Maybe a few are just frustrated with his last disposal of the game.

With regard to Bennell, I agree Haydo he is still young and inexperienced, but that game on Saturday, I think, will prove valuable for his game.