Our 1st game team vs Hawks

2014-Flag

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/36819/default.aspx

We have 4 of the most sought after players of the 2004 draft who have now done the best part of 5-6 pre seasons and are 23 -24 and should be entering their prime. Meesen, Bate, Dunn and Newton

While I think our woes are predominantly due to game plan and midfield issues causing the ball to not go into our forward line (inside 50) enough generally I think we really need to experiment with our forward line until Jurrah, Watts and Woenamarri are ready/ return from injury.

I think Newton can play. He seems to get the ball when he plays and his tackling and effort has improved despite his body language and general listlesness issues. His real problem is kicking for goal.

Dunn was drafted as a Centre Half Forward with superb endurance and around 2005 / 2006, while admittedly playing in a supporting role to Neitz and co in a much better forward line with better supply, appeared to have goal sense and finishing ability. With his endurance he should be able to run many defenders of their legs presenting to our half back and midfield.

Bate, of the 4, is probably the furthest away from being delisted, his long kicking is very valuable, just would love to see more of it along with some deep pack marks.

I would tell the Bate, Dunn and Newton that they have responsibilty of carrying the forward line and will be given a 5 game run to prove their worth. They are good mates and I think they will relish the challenge.

What have we got to lose?

Otherwise, without good 2010, going into season 7 for these guys there future has to be in some question.

Miller can help in the short term with his workrate.

Maric was recruited as a deadly finishing forward so he should go here too

and Petterd has bobbed up as a goal kicker in the last year and a half.

Bruce and Green should definately rest in the forward line too to provide leadership and class in this area of the ground.

Jamar too should rest here too given his goal kicking display against Carlton too.

Garlands speed on a lead could also be experimented with here forward

S. Martin does just not appear to have the aptitude to play the forward role, his best football has been played down back and he should return there. With Warnock, Frawley and Rivers we are probably ok for key backs that is why a trade should be sought for one of these 4 players to bolster a weak area e.g. Ruck or Key Forward.

My round 1 team v the Hawks, (several injury and selection assumptions here) would be as follows:

Bennell Warnock Frawley

Joel MacDonald Rivers Cameron Bruce

Trengove Moloney Davey

Bate Miller Maric

Petterd Newton Green

Jamar Grimes James MacDonald

Jones J. Spencer(relief ruck while Jamar rest forward or bench) Scully Dunn (Go Forward/ relief midfielder)

Emg. Martin Gysberts Strauss

Out of our best 22

I think are Morton, Jurrah, Watts (eventually), Sylvia

We should have an edge in the ruck and without S. Taylor, Franklin, Bateman, Burgoyne, C. Young, Brad Sewell, Cyril Rioli (OP) and co we have to be a slight chance

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 4 of the most sought after players of the 2004 draft who have now done the best part of 5-6 pre seasons and are 23 -24 and should be entering their prime. Meesen, Bate, Dunn and Newton

Sought after?? Really??? More so than Deledio, Buddy, Roughy, Lewis, Williams etc. Beyond the first seven picks, the 2004 draft has been an ordinary year. None of the players you mention are sought after at all.

After six years, Meesen and Newton are not up to it and its amazing posters still see a Coleman medallist in the making based on the 2007 MOTY. For Dunn, the issue is not where he plays.....its how he plays.

Bate is still part of our future but our rise up the ladder wont be on the vintage of 2004.

Slow day at work today, so here's my attempt. I'll go through the reasoning too.

B: Rivers Warnock McDonald

HB: Grimes Frawley Macdonald

C: Sylvia Bruce Davey

HF: Petterd Bate Miller

F: Scully Martin Green

R: Jamar Jones Moloney

IC: Strauss McKenzieSpencer Trengove

EM: Cheney Maric Bennell

I hope we get to see something close to this against Hawthorn. I would choose Maric, possibly in place of Spencer like you said. I think Dunn will play too because someone likes him. But whatever the result, we'll get heaps of pleasure watching this side develop.

I hope we get to see something close to this against Hawthorn. I would choose Maric, possibly in place of Spencer like you said. I think Dunn will play too because someone likes him. But whatever the result, we'll get heaps of pleasure watching this side develop.

Sylvia won't be playing.

I'll have a stab: -

FB: Cheney Frawley Bennell

HB: MacDonald Rivers Bruce

C: Trengove Moloney Scully

HF: Petterd Bate Davey

F: Martin Miller Green

Foll: Jamar Grimes McDonald

Int: Jones Dunn Maric Bartram

Emerg: Watts Warnock Strauss

*Watts in for Dunn if available.

I think Frawley will take Roughead. No Buddy might mean Warnock to miss with a predominantly small Hawk forward line. Bailey would have the option to throw Martin down back if need be and have Dunn or Watts (if fit & available) to call upon accross half forward / forward.

I'm also very tempted to slot Strauss in for Cheney. Our kick outs are very important. Very undecided between these two and a little hesitant whether Strauss is in fact ready.

Sylvia won't be playing.

I'll have a stab: -

FB: Cheney Frawley Bennell

HB: MacDonald Rivers Bruce

C: Trengove Moloney Scully

HF: Petterd Bate Davey

F: Martin Miller Green

Foll: Jamar Grimes McDonald

Int: Jones Dunn Maric Bartram

Emerg: Watts Warnock Strauss

I think Frawley will take Roughead. No Buddy might mean Warnock to miss with a predominantly small Hawk forward line. Bailey would have the option to throw Martin down back if need be and have Dunn or Watts (if fit & available) to call upon accross half forward / forward.

I'm also very tempted to slot Strauss in for Cheney. Our kick outs are very important. Very undecided between these two and a little hesitant whether Strauss is in fact ready.

I would also replace Bartram with Strauss, I think this kid is going to be a superstar. Either way if that is the team we will be a great chance to beat them.

Last years compared to Hawthorne.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_comparison?team1_id=11&team2_id=12

If available?

How many minutes has Watts played this preseason? Count them all, MFC preseason + Casey preseason.

He's not a ten year vet who can afford to miss preseason games and be right for rd 1.

Roughheads a better match up for Warnock. Frawley can play on dangerous midsized players but I'm not sure hawks have any but Frawley on Dowler will do.

Strauss is physically ready. Pump games into him.

Revised team based on Sylvia injury and change of mind as per my previous post:

B: Rivers, Warnock, McDonald

HB: Grimes, Frawley, Macdonald

C: Trengove, Bruce, Davey

HF: Petterd, Bate, Miller

F: Scully, Martin, Green

R: Jamar, Jones, Moloney

IC: Strauss, McKenzie, Maric, Bennell

EM: Cheney, Spencer, <someone else - who cares really>

In: Maric, Bennell

Out: Sylvia, Spencer

For the record, based on the experience level of this side (3 debutants!) I suspect it will probably get a bit of a smashing. If we were playing anyone other than the injury decimated Hawks I'd be willing to put money on a smashing, actually.

For the record, based on the experience level of this side (3 debutants!) I suspect it will probably get a bit of a smashing. If we were playing anyone other than the injury decimated Hawks I'd be willing to put money on a smashing, actually.

Nice side Nasher.

If available?

Yes, if available. I don't like his chances though. But I'd take Watts over Dunn any day of the month, including Sunday's.

PS. I can count.

Strauss is physically ready. Pump games into him.

Ok. Pump games into him.

I don't think Jetta has been a standout this season, but don't you think he deserves at least a shot at a spot on the interchange?

I think he was great at the end of last year and love his attack on the footy.

Or is he injured and this somehow got by me..?

I don't think Jetta has been a standout this season, but don't you think he deserves at least a shot at a spot on the interchange?

I have no idea if he's injured, but if he's not he gets in over Maric IMO.

I have no idea if he's injured, but if he's not he gets in over Maric IMO.

I herd bailey say he was injured in a press conference about a week ago saying he has groin problems and he would be touch and go for round one.

Strange as i had never herd a word about it up untill then.

TBH at first i was quick to judge jetta as i thought he was picked at 50 as a gamble seeing he was pretty speedy, indigenous and good mates with Bennell, but things i saw late last year he definitely deserves a spot in the team so if fit id play him.

Edited by Carn dees

It was a deliberate omission (edit: I didn't know he was actually injured until seeing Grimes to Watts' post above). Including him has to be at the expense of someone, and I currently rate the other players I've listed there more, and that's the only reason. Who I "currently rate" can and will vary throughout the year. That is, I haven't picked him for round 1, but that doesn't mean I won't pick him for round 2 for instance. If it makes you feel better, you can slot him in the emergency spot that I left vacant :)

I like that 22. Tipping it'll be pretty close to that.

Sought after?? Really??? More so than Deledio, Buddy, Roughy, Lewis, Williams etc. Beyond the first seven picks, the 2004 draft has been an ordinary year. None of the players you mention are sought after at all.

After six years, Meesen and Newton are not up to it and its amazing posters still see a Coleman medallist in the making based on the 2007 MOTY. For Dunn, the issue is not where he plays.....its how he plays.

Bate is still part of our future but our rise up the ladder wont be on the vintage of 2004.

Mate,

The point I was making was Bate, Dunn and Meesen are all top 15 draft picks in 2004. Obviously Deledio, Buddy were picked ahead of this group and are way better players.

If you look at some of the reports from the Casey game Newton and Bate went quite well all be it in a VFL praccy match.

My point is more along the lines of, these guys Newton (form/lack of opportunity/goal kicking issues) and Dunn (played out of position) really need a go in the forward line. If they do not cut it, given ample opportunity, they have to be seriously looked at for a trade or delisting.

As they are really clogging our list at their current standing in our side.

Do you agree Rhino?

What would be your ideal forward line for Round 1 and in a perfect world in 2010 with no injuries?

I stopped reading here

Mate,

The point I was making was Bate, Dunn and Meesen are all top 15 draft picks in 2004.

In 2010, your draft number in 2004 is as relevant as yourzodia sign to indicate AFL talent.

Meesen was pick 8 in the 2004 draft by the Crows was traded in 2007 to MFC for pick 38. At the end of 2009 Meeson was put on the rookie list by a bottom dwelling Club with a shortage of good rucks. Hmmmm....what does that tell you? :unsure:

Newton was pick 43 in the 2004 draft by MFC with questions about attitude and maturity. After making an impact in 2007, Newton has failed to make an impact since at MFC despite the bottom dwelling Club which is screaming out for forwards even despite getting a dubious 2 year contract extension. He was put on the rookie list in at the end of 2009. Hmmmm....what does that tell you? :unsure:

Unless there is a complete change of form and/or fitness, neither play will be playing AFL in 2010.

Dunn is in his sixth season and since his first season there has been a question about his stomach for the contest. And being built like Tarzan does not hide that you play like someone else. Has cute skills but has been put on tagging roles to take him to the contest more because he does not do enough offensively. Its got nothing to do with the position he is played. The forward line is not a place for shrinking voilets. Not best 22 for mine. And injuries give him a chance to actually show that he has got it. Put on the first 5 years he has been a fail for a first round pick. If he is still at Casey at year end then he should go.

Mathew Bate is very underrated and has done a wonderful job in a difficult role up forward. I hope he blossoms further.

If you look at some of the reports from the Casey game Newton and Bate went quite well all be it in a VFL praccy match.

My point is more along the lines of, these guys Newton (form/lack of opportunity/goal kicking issues) and Dunn (played out of position) really need a go in the forward line. If they do not cut it, given ample opportunity, they have to be seriously looked at for a trade or delisting.

Aside from you conspiracy theories, neither Newton or Dunn has shown they are good enough. The reports on here suggest with Newts..its more of the same. Bate is returning from injury and once match fit will be best 22.

What would be your ideal forward line for Round 1 and in a perfect world in 2010 with no injuries?

Nasher covered the side for Rd 1.

I'lll give you a hint....Dunn and Newton are not even on the bench. And I'd play Max GAWN on one leg ahead of Meesen.

My take is like 'zis,,,;)

Bruce Warnock Frawley

JoelMac Rivers Bennell

Davey Grimes Jun'Mac

Green Bate Sylvia

Pettard Miller Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Jones

Int: Spencer/Martin, Scully, Trengove, Dunn,,,,Wonna/Jetta, Maric,

My Rnd 1 team v Hawks {take 2}

Bennell Warnock Frawley

JoelMac Rivers Grimes

Green Bruce Jun'Mac

Pettard Miller Davey

Maric Bate Martin

Jamar Moloney Jones

Int: Garland, McKenzie, Scully, Trengove,

Emerg/ Spencer, Strauss, Cheney, Jetta,

Bennell Warnock Frawley

JoelMac Rivers Grimes

Green Bruce Jun'Mac

Pettard Miller Davey

Maric Bate Martin

Jamar Moloney Jones

That's the closest thing I've seen to my preferred team. Hopefully Garland and Sylvia back the following week at the expense of maybe McKenzie and Petterd/Maric/Bennell depending on performances. I really hope Scully and Trengove in particular as well as McKenzie perform from the word go and really put some pressure on Jones and Moloney.

Here’s mine:

B Cheney Warnock Bennell

HB MacDonald Frawley Rivers

C Scully McDonald Trengove

HF Jones Miller Davey

F Petterd Bate Green

FOL Jamar Moloney Grimes

INT Bruce, Martin, Strauss, Maric.

EMG McNamara, Bail, Garland

Presuming Garland and Watts aren't ready, and Sylvia will be back round 2

Bennell Warnock Frawley

JoelMac Rivers Grimes

Green Bruce Jun'Mac

Pettard Miller Davey

Maric Bate Martin

Jamar Moloney Jones

Strauss makes it before Maric.

IMO, Jetta does too.

Strauss makes it before Maric.

IMO, Jetta does too.

Jetta has missed the last few weeks of the preseason with an injury & I would assume is underdone for this Rnd1 clash in which we have a chance with fit strong bodies, & not too many first gamers at once. McKenzie & Maric have been in the system for a couple of years now & have strength.

You want Strauss as a small forward??????