Australian Pie by Whispering Jack

Demonland

AUSTRALIAN PIE by Whispering Jack

"A long, long time ago

I can still remember..."

Well, it must have been a long, long time ago because I can't remember two recruits making such an impact in a Melbourne intraclub practice match as Jack Trengove and Tom Scully did this morning at Casey Fields.

Trengove showed enormous poise and skill for an 18 year old and he simply took off from where he left the football world at the end of last season playing in a grand final for Sturt in the SANFL. He was a prolific ball winner on his wing, played with great confidence and demonstrated sublime skills and football smarts. At one stage he had the 2,000 strong crowd gasping as he sidestepped Aaron Davey with all the aplomb of a veteran. Not many people in football could manage that, let alone a kid playing in his first practice match in this sort of company. Trengove also showed an uncanny ability to read the play and was constantly in the action until he was matched against Scully for a brief patch in the final term.

The #1 national draft pick from 2009, Scully had to be content to be in Trengove's shadow this time although he still showed flashes of the sheer brilliance that had recruiting scouts salivating last year. The intense youngster has been in full on training mode for less than a month after knee surgery kept him out of last year's TAC Cup grand final and was playing in his first open age game of football. He collected many possessions (often lightning fast handballs that were delivered precision-like to their targets) and he kicked a goal in the final quarter to give the white team the lead after it had, at one stage, trailed by six goals. It took some sublime magic from Liam Jurrah to boot the last two goals of the match to turn the tables. Jurrah had only a reasonable game but a few cameos saw him finish with four goals for the winning red side.

The star of the day was 10-year veteran Brad Green at half forward who was in everything and finished with three goals. Skipper James McDonald belied his age and directed proceedings to the praise of coach Dean Bailey who also cited Brent Moloney and Jared Rivers as important cogs in the line up, each having gone through their initial seasons after lengthy lay offs through injury. One typical hard Moloney tackle on Scully was not quite the welcome the youngster would have wanted in this game but it was the type of tough initiation to the big time that was handled manfully by both the tackler and the tackled.

Colin Sylvia started slowly but showed enough to suggest that his forward progression of the last season or so will continue to gather momentum while former Brisbane Lion Joel Macdonald showed he will be a welcome addition giving some good run off half back. I also liked Ricky Petterd's game.

Mark Jamar who is also coming off an injury lay off was strong in the ruck in his allocated half of football. The Demons need a fit Jamar because a full season from the improving Russian will be of great importance to the club's stocks. The Demons have struggled in the ruck department in recent years.

A few of Melbourne's younger brigade showed that they will be stepping up another notch this year. James Frawley in defence is bigger, stronger and faster and played his key defence post with great confidence and flair. Jack Grimes, in the middle, was smooth all day and showed in his step up from defence that he has all the ingredients necessary to mix it with the competition's elite midfielders. It's quite extraordinary when you realise he is a veteran of only 12 games! Jamie Bennell looks stronger and fitter this year and he literally ran rings around some of his opposition forwards. Every time I see him play, he reminds me more and more of a young Andrew McLeod.

Rookie Jake Spencer is not renowned for his kicking as the small band of Demon fans that witnessed his fresh air blooper at Etihad Stadium last year. This morning he was right on target kicking the first two goals of the game prompting cries of "who needs Naitanui". The 203cm Spencer has worked on most facets of his game and it showed today. Fellow rookie Jordie McKenzie has also stepped up a notch or two in the off season and looks set to claim a berth in the club's midfield just as soon as he can be uplifted from rookie status.

The game itself was a mixture with the standard vacillating from high to low calibre but generally, one would have to say that it was satisfactory for a first up hit in February.

Missing from the game were Jack Watts, Matthew Bate, Paul Johnson, Colin Garland, John Meesen, Cameron Bruce, Austin Wonaeamirri, Luke Tapscott, Max Gawn and Sam Blease. Apparently, only the three big men in Johnson, Meesen and Gawn are likely to miss more than a couple of weeks.

photo01.jpg

The two teams were supplemented by some young Casey Scorpions who would have gained an enormous boost playing against a squad of AFL regulars. The best of the loca lads was Glenn Chivers while Chris Wylie kicked a goal for the winning red team and Matt Fieldsend was prominent early for the whites.

The atmosphere at the ground was very friendly and it was great to see that the club is settling in well at Casey Fields and is in tune with the local community (although something should be done about ensuring a smooth flow of traffic from the car park after games). The importance of the Casey venture should not be underestimated in terms of developing the club's support base to ensure its long-term survival.

Nothing should be taken for granted in football these days. I was reminded of this when thinking back to the days when I was a teenager who used to enjoy going to the MCG to watch intraclub games in the 60's. Back then, you didn't have NAB Cup games and clubs didn't meet until the beginning of the season proper. The first signs of change occurred circa 1970 when games against interstate clubs were permitted and Melbourne took on SANFL powerhouse Port Adelaide, winner of 36 premierships, for a couple of years in pre season games. The SA Pies have struggled on and off the field in recent years. They're now broke and on the brink of extinction with their power base eroded by tough economic times and well ... among other things the Power.

I'm more confident today than I have been for some time that the same fate doesn't await Melbourne. Jimmy Stynes, who was at Casey today, has worked hard with the Board to shore up the club's financial situation, and while we are not likely to see an immediate surge back into the finals this year, today's events give reason to believe that we are on our way.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I can't remember the advent into the club of two youngsters with the capacity to make a first up impact as Jack and Tom ... and I think there's more to come yet.

Reds 6.2.38 9.6.60 11.7.73 14.7.91

Whites 1.2.8 6.3.39 10.7.67 12.10.82

Goals

Reds Jurrah 4 Green 3 Spencer 2 Jamar Miller Moloney Petterd Weekes

(Casey Scorpions)

Whites Jones Maric Newton 2 Dunn Gysberts Hughes Morton Scully Sylvia

Best Green Trengove Frawley Grimes

photo02.jpg

Mark Jamar who is also coming off an injury lay off was strong in the ruck in his allocated half of football. The Demons need a fit Jamar because a full season from the improving Russian will be of great importance to the club's stocks. The Demons have struggled in the ruck department in recent years.

If The Russian can keep on the park our ruck issues are solved for the next 2-3 seasons, and probably beyond.

His tap work today and play around the ground was imposing enough for the brains trust to rest him for most of the second half. Terrific attack at the bounces.

That said, Spencer has improved out of sight. His kicking on the run had none of the un-co signs of last year. Strong improver.

Most importantly the general skill level was way above what we saw last year. Shane Crawford's spies aren't up to much. I liked the rapid fire, to the target handpassing that was set up to release a player in defence. We also had much less switching of player and a more direct attack.

I particularly liked Grimes, Rivers who was moving beautifully in defence, Sylvia who looks like having a cracker of a year - strong running, powerful accurate kicking, and an awesome hit on Grimes at the end - Jurrah, whose marking and position play showed great anticipation and inventiveness around goal, Warnock who looks like building on last year, Dunn who improved over the course of four quarters and Jamie Bennell - won heaps of it and used it well finding targets at will. Brad Green, like Sylvia will be a big impact player this year - looks terrific. Ah yes, and Scully, impressed plenty around me who loved his attack in and under.

Less impressive was Miller, who started really well but spilled several marks as the game progressed, and Maric, who did a bit but was caught hanging on too long and missed a couple. Jury still out.

Overall, plenty to be quietly excited about.

If The Russian can keep on the park our ruck issues are solved for the next 2-3 seasons, and probably beyond.

His tap work today and play around the ground was imposing enough for the brains trust to rest him for most of the second half. Terrific attack at the bounces.

That said, Spencer has improved out of sight. His kicking on the run had none of the un-co signs of last year. Strong improver.

Most importantly the general skill level was way above what we saw last year. Shane Crawford's spies aren't up to much. I liked the rapid fire, to the target handpassing that was set up to release a player in defence. We also had much less switching of player and a more direct attack.

I particularly liked Grimes, Rivers who was moving beautifully in defence, Sylvia who looks like having a cracker of a year - strong running, powerful accurate kicking, and an awesome hit on Grimes at the end - Jurrah, whose marking and position play showed great anticipation and inventiveness around goal, Warnock who looks like building on last year, Dunn who improved over the course of four quarters and Jamie Bennell - won heaps of it and used it well finding targets at will. Brad Green, like Sylvia will be a big impact player this year - looks terrific. Ah yes, and Scully, impressed plenty around me who loved his attack in and under.

Less impressive was Miller, who started really well but spilled several marks as the game progressed, and Maric, who did a bit but was caught hanging on too long and missed a couple. Jury still out.

Overall, plenty to be quietly excited about.

Agree with that even to an extent that if "Frank" Spencer can continue the improvement level Jamar could also join Green in slotting into the fd line for stinks to hopefully give us more bite whilst Frank spend time in the ruck. Heres hoping the improvement continues rapidly.

That is what I love about peoples impressions of seeing the same game, we all have such different views on things. I'm not having a crack in any way shape or form pitmaster I thought out skill level was poor. Turn overs by hand and foot and running ourselves into trouble similar to last year was pretty prevelant today.

That is what I love about peoples impressions of seeing the same game, we all have such different views on things. I'm not having a crack in any way shape or form pitmaster I thought out skill level was poor. Turn overs by hand and foot and running ourselves into trouble similar to last year was pretty prevelant today.

I would agree in the 2nd half skills dropped off but I think the first half, especially from the Reds, was good quality attacking football and by hand they consistently found targets,

That was my first look at Casey today and i'm very impressed,great setup and only a 32 minute drive from Parkdale.On to the game,the standouts for me were Trengove and Grimes,Trenners had so much time (i know it's intraclub) and hit targets with ease.Grimes is ready made for the midfield,can't wait to watch him blossom into a topline mid.Jones was hard at it all day as was Moloney but i was a bit disappointed in Sylvia after hearing the great preseason reports.Miller started well with some good leads and marks but faded.LJ was his dazzling self and will kick 10+ one day.Bennel moved really well and is progressing really well.Flash played the first half and was rested for next week,we know his game.Joel Macdonald looked good in patches but was caught out of position quite a bit but this will improve as he jells with the team.Scully is as tough as nails for his size and dazzled the crowd with a few nice moves through packs,it was a nice touch to see Scully & Trengove line up on the wing on eachother at the start of the last quarter,i get the impression that Scully wants to prove he is no. 1 and Trengove couldn't care less,maybe i'm wrong on that but i noticed a bit of body language after the match in the 30 minute warm down on the ground,i spoke to both when they were signing autographs and they are both great kids,Trenners told me it was a good hitout and that he was stuffed,8 day break for the NAB Cup opener next week.It was also good to see Brad Green back in the forward line and kick 3 or 4,he'll spend a lot more time in the forward line this year and his kicking was as straight as ever.I also like the look of Cheney,just something about his game.Big Jamar was crashing through packs and dominating the ruck around the ground.It was a shame Watts didn't play but he said to Gary Lyon in the half time interview that he has a quad and is 3-4 weeks away.It was fantastic to see Jim Stynes there,he's such an inspiration to everyone and just his presence made it a great day.

I came away from the game thinking Grimes is well on the way to being an absolute gun who has captaincy written all over him,i know he's young but he's such a natural leader and while he won't be our next captain,i for one can't wait until he captains our great club.

Thanks for the reports people.

This is what I wanted to hear. Connolly was talking about Spencer being our premier ruckman in the SEN interview he did a few weeks ago, so it's good to see we've actually got something to watch in that department.

It was also good to see Brad Green back in the forward line and kick 3 or 4,he'll spend a lot more time in the forward line this year and his kicking was as straight as ever.

Ah, that's good to hear as well. I think we'll see Green play predominantly forward this year, and I reckon it will really help us.

I was rapped to see him play 2 quarters. He is the key to our season , if fit. I worry that he only has a one year contract. Hate to see him go to GC or GWS.

AUSTRALIAN PIE by Whispering Jack

"A long, long time ago

I can still remember..."

Well, it must have been a long, long time ago because I can't remember two recruits making such an impact in a Melbourne intraclub practice match as Jack Trengove and Tom Scully did this morning at Casey Fields.

Trengove showed enormous poise and skill for an 18 year old and he simply took off from where he left the football world at the end of last season playing in a grand final for Sturt in the SANFL. He was a prolific ball winner on his wing, played with great confidence and demonstrated sublime skills and football smarts. At one stage he had the 2,000 strong crowd gasping as he sidestepped Aaron Davey with all the aplomb of a veteran. Not many people in football could manage that, let alone a kid playing in his first practice match in this sort of company. Trengove also showed an uncanny ability to read the play and was constantly in the action until he was matched against Scully for a brief patch in the final term.

The #1 national draft pick from 2009, Scully had to be content to be in Trengove's shadow this time although he still showed flashes of the sheer brilliance that had recruiting scouts salivating last year. The intense youngster has been in full on training mode for less than a month after knee surgery kept him out of last year's TAC Cup grand final and was playing in his first open age game of football. He collected many possessions (often lightning fast handballs that were delivered precision-like to their targets) and he kicked a goal in the final quarter to give the white team the lead after it had, at one stage, trailed by six goals. It took some sublime magic from Liam Jurrah to boot the last two goals of the match to turn the tables. Jurrah had only a reasonable game but a few cameos saw him finish with four goals for the winning red side.

The star of the day was 10-year veteran Brad Green at half forward who was in everything and finished with three goals. Skipper James McDonald belied his age and directed proceedings to the praise of coach Dean Bailey who also cited Brent Moloney and Jared Rivers as important cogs in the line up, each having gone through their initial seasons after lengthy lay offs through injury. One typical hard Moloney tackle on Scully was not quite the welcome the youngster would have wanted in this game but it was the type of tough initiation to the big time that was handled manfully by both the tackler and the tackled.

Colin Sylvia started slowly but showed enough to suggest that his forward progression of the last season or so will continue to gather momentum while former Brisbane Lion Joel Macdonald showed he will be a welcome addition giving some good run off half back. I also liked Ricky Petterd's game.

A few of Melbourne's younger brigade showed that they will be stepping up another notch this year. James Frawley in defence is bigger, stronger and faster and played his key defence post with great confidence and flair. Jack Grimes, in the middle, was smooth all day and showed in his step up from defence that he has all the ingredients necessary to mix it with the competition's elite midfielders. It's quite extraordinary when you realise he is a veteran of only 12 games! Jamie Bennell looks stronger and fitter this year and he literally ran rings around some of his opposition forwards. Every time I see him play, he reminds me more and more of a young Andrew McLeod.

Rookie Jake Spencer is not renowned for his kicking as the small band of Demon fans that witnessed his fresh air blooper at Etihad Stadium last year. This morning he was right on target kicking the first two goals of the game prompting cries of "who needs Naitanui". The 203cm Spencer has worked on most facets of his game and it showed today. Fellow rookie Jordie McKenzie has also stepped up a notch or two in the off season and looks set to claim a berth in the club's midfield just as soon as he can be uplifted from rookie status.

The game itself was a mixture with the standard vacillating from high to low calibre but generally, one would have to say that it was satisfactory for a first up hit in February.

Missing from the game were Jack Watts, Matthew Bate, Paul Johnson, Colin Garland, John Meesen, Cameron Bruce, Austin Wonaeamirri, Luke Tapscott, Max Gawn and Sam Blease. Apparently, only the three big men in Johnson, Meesen and Gawn are likely to miss more than a couple of weeks.

photo01.jpg

The two teams were supplemented by some young Casey Scorpions who would have gained an enormous boost playing against a squad of AFL regulars. The best of the loca lads was Glenn Chivers while Chris Wylie kicked a goal for the winning red team and Matt Fieldsend was prominent early for the whites.

The atmosphere at the ground was very friendly and it was great to see that the club is settling in well at Casey Fields and is in tune with the local community (although something should be done about ensuring a smooth flow of traffic from the car park after games). The importance of the Casey venture should not be underestimated in terms of developing the club's support base to ensure its long-term survival.

Nothing should be taken for granted in football these days. I was reminded of this when thinking back to the days when I was a teenager who used to enjoy going to the MCG to watch intraclub games in the 60's. Back then, you didn't have NAB Cup games and clubs didn't meet until the beginning of the season proper. The first signs of change occurred circa 1970 when games against interstate clubs were permitted and Melbourne took on SANFL powerhouse Port Adelaide, winner of 36 premierships, for a couple of years in pre season games. The SA Pies have struggled on and off the field in recent years. They're now broke and on the brink of extinction with their power base eroded by tough economic times and well ... among other things the Power.

I'm more confident today than I have been for some time that the same fate doesn't await Melbourne. Jimmy Stynes, who was at Casey today, has worked hard with the Board to shore up the club's financial situation, and while we are not likely to see an immediate surge back into the finals this year, today's events give reason to believe that we are on our way.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I can't remember the advent into the club of two youngsters with the capacity to make a first up impact as Jack and Tom ... and I think there's more to come yet.

Reds 6.2.38 9.6.60 11.7.73 14.7.91

Whites 1.2.8 6.3.39 10.7.67 12.10.82

Goals

Reds Jurrah 4 Green 3 Spencer 2 Jamar Miller Moloney Petterd Weekes

(Casey Scorpions)

Whites Jones Maric Newton 2 Dunn Gysberts Hughes Morton Scully Sylvia

Best Green Trengove Frawley Grimes

photo02.jpg

Hey thats my boy in the JW photo, cool!! We both had a great time today, the game was really entertaining and the whole day was well organised. I had some great chats with several of the injured players; Sammy Blease says that Luke Tapscott is in Adelaide because his Gran died during the week, other than that he is fit and ready to go. Sam is not bothered by his ankle now and he doesn't give it any thought at all, reckons that he will be back and playing in a week or two. The Big Unit was lovely with my boy and had a good chat with him about school as well as footy. Very impressive over all.

Like many of you, I was very impressed with the time on the ball that Trengove displayed on the ball, all class and an early tip for rising star. I was also pleased to see Strauss doing what he does;i.e. accurate clearing kicks from defence.

All in all, a great day out and bring on the season.

Highlights and Lowlights

Highlights

* Trengove

* Brad Green

* Casey Fields surface

* few injuries

* Scully

* game well umpired but perhaps too many penalties at bounce down and stoppages.

Lowlights

* Flash getting injured and limping around at the end of the game.

* injured and unavailable list

* skill errors - especially dropped mark

* the car park (worse than he old VFL Park car park)

feel free to add

Great morning at Casey Fields! My son loved the jumping castle & the Go-Karts the club put on. Go-Karts distracted him for the last half and left me to enjoy the footy for the last half! I have never seen so much positivity from a supporter base whose club finshed last for the past two years! Spoke to a bloke who said he had been a member for 24 years and had never felt more excited about being a dees fan. Made me realize that despite being under 30, I'd been a member for 19 years but I felt like it was a short time compared to his tenure! Connolls dropped in during the third qtr and was shocked that over 3000 people were at the ground. There's a buzz in the air about the dees. Jack Trengove.... awesome, Scully sublime, Jurrah freakish.

Best

Jurrah

Trengove

Scully

Moloney

Silvia

Dunn

Grimes

Green

Good

Jones

Gysberts

Jamar

Miller

JMac (McDonald)

JMac (McDonald)

JMac (McKenzie)

Frawley

Warnock

Petterd

Terrible

Juice (Worst on ground)

Healey

Bail

Maric (Others around me thought differently)

Definately a good feel around the club and looking forward to 2010

Edited by Demon Tragic

There was a very attractive blonde singer on last year's American Idol who had tatts like Jonesy all the way down her arm. I wonder if he might end up regretting it one day?

BTW who's the bloke pictured on Jonesy's arm?

I heard the tatt is a tribute to his grandfather. and that pic is him