3 big improvers

Still Waiting

I am eager to see who can not only improve their output this year, but really step up and become strong leadership contenders for the future. Here are 3 that I see being vital to the overall improvement of our team.

Jonesy will relish more responsibility and be more consistent as well. His disposal is improved and fitness no concern at this early stage. He seems to have developed core strength in spades and really trains like he is in the middle of a game. Would be a nuisance verbally to opponents too!

Jurrah will get more attention this year but is the sort of player you would hate to man up on. He can mark, run and turn you inside out. If he can average 2-3 goals a game we have a forward very few sides will better, let alone match up on. Maybe not a leader in the future, but one for his team mates to really be excited about and look forward to playing with.

Chip Frawley could be anything. Now has a very strong body matched with pace and endurance. It's up to him whether he goes up another notch and starts to even more consistently, shut down some big name forwards. He must continue to work on his disposal and develop even better understandings with his fellow backmen.

Who else can give the Dees more, so as to enable us to be more competitive and climb a few rungs ????

If he stays fit I'm backing Matty Bate to go bananas next year. Should The Stefan Martin Experience not play as much next year I appoint Bate and Rivers my equal favourite players in his absence.

I predict Beamer will win the Bluey this season

Addam Maric is my nomination for improver. He's been around for a couple of seasons now. In his first season, he was restricted because he was still at school while last year, he had his share of injuries. I think the club is trying to make him a more versatile player and would like him to play further downfield rather than as a deep forward crumbing player. I reckon he might blossom this year.

Addam Maric is my nomination for improver. He's been around for a couple of seasons now. In his first season, he was restricted because he was still at school while last year, he had his share of injuries. I think the club is trying to make him a more versatile player and would like him to play further downfield rather than as a deep forward crumbing player. I reckon he might blossom this year.

Yeah, its gotta be hard for a forward pocket when the ball is hardly down there, and when it is the disposal is ordinary.

His development will come from playing further up the ground and from playing deep in the forward-line whilst we are competitive.

Makes good decisions this kid, I think it has only been a matter of getting the body up to speed.

Guest Scattsgove

Col Sylvia's about to explode, I'm tipping him to have a standout season in 2010 and really become the player we've hoped for. I also think a bit of grunt in the leadership group might be good for the team, if he does indeed earn a place at some stage.

I'm going to stick my neck out and reverse my opinion from the last 3 or 4 years. I think Dunn is going to improve out of sight next year. Yeah, I know, I'm shocked as well :blink: If anyone remembers my opinion on him it's been pretty low, however I think Bailey has slowly been working on him and he could be a big surprise this season.

Bails has been working on his defensive part of his game, he's shown he can run with good mids, he's also got a big frame and now can run pretty well. Overhead has still been a weakness though.

Sticking my neck out here but I am going to say Straussy. He has had a year of injuries but a player of his talent and exquisite disposal must be utilised. If he stays fit and keeps up his training track form i am tipping him to be the big improver. Also if he plays well it allows grimes to go into midfield and morton to stick to a wing where he is damaging.

Also Colin Sylvia i am tipping will become more consistent now that he has confidence in his body and more importantly his ability.

Jack Grimes is my standout for this year. Another two I think will improve significantly are Cheney and Bennell.All 3 have had a great pre season have now the knowledge of the quickness of the game and will be settled into possibly a great backline.The best we have had for decades.

expect frawley, bate, garland, sylvia, dunn, jones, morton, maric and grimes to all step up. they have now all played a number of games together, have either got through their first couple of years (or shaken off some injuries) and will have big years this year.

meanwhile players like watts, strauss, and this years draftees will play and show some class but will only really step up to consistency in 2011-2012.

Maric, Jetta, Bennell.

Personally i think Jetta is the most underrated player on the list.

Sylvia, Grimes and Frawley are already out.

I agree, I think Jetta is great the way he takes a mark, plays on and immediately finds a target further ahead before the defense gets a chance to react. Much like a Bob Murphy.

Definitely underrated for mine, but I just worry he won't get enough opportunity with all the players returning from injury that compete for the same spots.

I'll stick my neck out - big improvement to come from Strauss, Maric, Jetta, Dunn, Bennell, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Frawley, Garland, Wonaeamirri, Jurrah, Bate and Blease.

We have a lot of kids ready to explode.

I really think we'll have a season like Essendon in 2009 where we are on the kinfe's edge of the 8.

I agree, I think Jetta is great the way he takes a mark, plays on and immediately finds a target further ahead before the defense gets a chance to react. Much like a Bob Murphy.

Definitely underrated for mine, but I just worry he won't get enough opportunity with all the players returning from injury that compete for the same spots.

I'll stick my neck out - big improvement to come from Strauss, Maric, Jetta, Dunn, Bennell, Grimes, Morton, Watts, Frawley, Garland, Wonaeamirri, Jurrah, Bate and Blease.

I really think we'll have a season like Essendon in 2009 where we are on the kinfe's edge of the 8.

If they all improve and we get good seasons from Bruce, Green, Jamar, Davey, Sylvia, Jones, Rivers, Warnock and A show from Watts it'll be no knife's edge, it'll be the 8 in a canter. We just might be getting a year or 2 ahead of ourselves but who knows.

Sticking one's neck out would be Newton to have a bomb of a year, not young kids or players who improved last year.

I expect guys like Sylvia, Dunn, Morton, Jurrah, Grimes Frawley, etc to build on the good year they had in 09 which is fairly obvious.

I think this year we might see Newton come in and Kick a 4 or 5 goal bag and people will be talking again. If he can kick straight which he has tried working on then he might do a lot better. In saying that he needs to produce that a few times to stay on our list...even though he probley won't.

Edited by Mr Morton

Sticking one's neck out would be Newton to have a bomb of a year, not young kids or players who improved last year.

I expect guys like Sylvia, Dunn, Morton, Jurrah, Grimes Frawley, etc to build on the good year they had in 09 which is fairly obvious.

I think this year we might see Newton come in and Kick a 4 or 5 goal bag and people will be talking again. If he can kick straight which he has tried working on then he might do a lot better. In saying that he needs to produce that a few times to stay on our list...even though he probley won't.

I sincerely hope you are right- I for one would be rapt- another whom W.J pointed out in his report whom really looks well is Spencer(only just turned 20 in October). He seems to have grown, filled out and also seems remarkably fitter.His kicking seems to have improved- although this is at training and not in match conditions. However, one can only see his personal improvement which is almighty to give himself every effort to move forward. Go Spence & Juice-two very good rookies at least.

Edited by jayceebee31

I'm tipping we'll have a season like the Bombers in 1993, where we surprise everyone including me....

I thought about that, then decided it was un-wise, because he is on the rookie list and even if he shows good form, he still needs to be elevated to play at AFL level.

He'd have to perform pretty damn well and our other forwards would have to be underperforming for that to happen, in my opinion.

Unlikely at this stage.

I was also thinking about non rookie/newbies (edit: Newton being a rookie now notwithstanding) moving from the peripheral player category to, at least, 'makes an impact'. Injuries would demand as much, though hopefully promotions will be earned. If nothing else both player and club win with an improved showing.

Edited by Trident

I thought about that, then decided it was un-wise, because he is on the rookie list and even if he shows good form, he still needs to be elevated to play at AFL level.

He'd have to perform pretty damn well and our other forwards would have to be underperforming for that to happen, in my opinion.

Unlikely at this stage.

What is unlikely to happen?

That he won't kick 4 or 5 goals in a game next year? Or that he won't make our list like I said?

Anyway I think he will improve and will give something back even if it's only for this year.

What is unlikely to happen?

That he won't kick 4 or 5 goals in a game next year? Or that he won't make our list like I said?

Anyway I think he will improve and will give something back even if it's only for this year.

Uh... no, you said

In saying that he needs to produce that a few times to stay on our list...even though he probley won't.

He's on our rookie list - he needs to be upgraded to play AFL.

Kicking 4 or 5 is definitely possible for him in the VFL - in the AFL it is highly unlikely.

Either way, I don't care.

I've expect anything more from Newton now - if he manages to put in any more worthwhile appearances for MFC in the future it is only icing on the cake.

I'm going to say Jamar, he is primed to really stamp himself on the game. He absolutely loved kicking that bag of 5 and I think he got the taste for it. For a massive lump of a bloke he never really threw his weight around before like he did in the last few rounds of 09. I remember the Ox commentating that day against Carlton I think it was, saying that he must know something because it was the first time he was playing without stress. He just looked like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Maybe he had been told he was safe for another year. But whatever it was, it worked. He almost had an arrogance about the way he crashed packs and jostled aggressively and it bluddy well worked a treat. Given the opportunity again he will do it again i think. Maybe not 5, lol but I can see another couple of 3 goal games for the big fellow. Plus, his tap work has improved out of sight, he's at the perfect age for a ruckman to come into his own and barring more tragic injuries I see 2010 being his year.