TIME FOR DEMONS TO FIRE UP

jayceebee31

After reading this article TIME FOR DEMONS TO FIRE UP, I concur that this is the year for us to show something.

If we languish down in either last or second last place it will be really disappointing.

Need to win at least 7 games.

Your thoughts?

Hi, I'm new and want to introduce myself. I really enjoy reading the forums and hearing from other Demons tragics.

I am a little worried about everyone getting ahead of themselves on how the Red and Blue will perform this year. I watched the last three games that we won in 2009 and feel the pace and skill-level of the team is well below the other 75% of clubs in the competition. It's almost like watching a practice match. There were some really great improvements in some players, Sylvia being the standout, and the team has certainly gotten stronger. But some clubs had thrown in the towel during the second half of the season and we were playing weak oppositions, it seems to me. Anyone have thoughts on that? I am just afraid that come round one against a hungry Hawthorn it may not be pretty.

Good post Ned. It happens most preseasons where every team is filled with optimism about the coming year, as 2009 becomes a distant memory. Even Carlton supporters think that they'll make a massive leap forward despite what's happened there, and Richmond supporters are convinced that a new coach will keep them off the bottom.

There's nothing wrong with optimism, especially when we are on the rise, but we have to make sure that we don't have unrealistic expectations because that will only lead to disappointment.

Watch it happen: Everyone will be thinking we might make finals and then if we're 1-4 the site will turn into a feedy frenzy calling for every player/coach/boot studder to be sacked. Also watch for the standard phrases "accepting mediocrity", "do we have to wait 45 more years for a premiership". and the old favourite "if we don't do something now then we won't have a club".

Enjoy your time here.

Cameron has to say that now...Been on the list for 10 years, for him there are absolutely no excuses.

Not suggesting that all the problems of the on field are on his shoulders, BUT i do expect strong performances from the few senior players we have left on the list.

If the likes of Bruce don't Fire up what chance do our young guns have of reaching their potential.

In today's Fairfax Press - TIME FOR DEMONS TO FIRE UP

Exactly what we want to hear. Now if they can only translate that into performance on field ...

Has 'the sunday age' got the wrong date on the caption? It says 'melbourne players return to the rooms after a rare win....in Dean Bailey's second season as coach'.

That would make it 2009. However I reckon it's colin Garland in the centre of the photo. Col only played one game in 2009, and that was the first of the season against north, which we lost.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

Yes, Geelong and St. Kilda took six or seven years to reach the potential provided by high draft picks. (Let's face it, Hawthorn was incredibly lucky to win the premiership in 2008). I would be over the moon if we made it to 10th. Richmond and Fremantle (and possibly Port) are the only teams obviously below us -- and the Dockers are a different side out at Subiaco. So 12th-14th is probably more likely. I just don't want to see any more floggings and real stability in the team, including the coach. The club has held together well during this dire period. It would be terrible to get too cocky and then see instability if we fall down. As to Carlton, I reckon there are real problems there!

Has 'the sunday age' got the wrong date on the caption? It says 'melboune players return to the rooms after a rare win....in Bailey's second season as coach'.

That would make it 2009. However I reckon it's colin Garland in the centre of the photo. Col only played one game in 2009, and that was the first of the season against north, which we lost.

Wouldn't surprise. The Age is dying.

Yes, Geelong and St. Kilda took six or seven years to reach the potential provided by high draft picks. (Let's face it, Hawthorn was incredibly lucky to win the premiership in 2008). I would be over the moon if we made it to 10th. Richmond and Fremantle (and possibly Port) are the only teams obviously below us -- and the Dockers are a different side out at Subiaco. So 12th-14th is probably more likely. I just don't want to see any more floggings and real stability in the team, including the coach. The club has held together well during this dire period. It would be terrible to get too cocky and then see instability if we fall down. As to Carlton, I reckon there are real problems there!

Geelong and St Kilda did make prelims years earlier and only just failed to make it through, much like the doggies the last couple of seasons.

Right, fair enough. I only got back to Australia a couple of years ago. Anyway, patience is my call!

I've just been reading an interesting post on BomberBlitz under the thread title of "Lies, Damn Lies and statistics, 2010".

According to the poster who has analysed the ages and experience of the various club lists, there is virtually no difference statistically in this area between Essendon and Melbourne after taking into consideration the primary, veterans and rookie lists. The Bombers' median age and median number of games is only slightly greater than that of the Demons.

In terms of games played, the bottom four averages are:

Essendon: 44.73 

Melbourne: 43.65

North 43.00

Richmond 42.28

At the other end of the scale, the Western Bulldogs are the most experienced at 72 games.

The Bombers made the finals in 2009 and, despite losing Lloyd, Lucas, McPhee and Lovett (a large slice of experience but not so influential relatively to the team's finals effort), most Essendon fans are expecting their team to perform as well, if not better than it did last year. There isn't the same caution or negativity as I am sensing here.

I don't expect that we will make the finals this year but, without the distractions of tanking and with a better draw and a decent run with injuries, I can see us making positive strides and you never know your luck. I'm hoping for 10 wins but if a couple of teams above us fall over we might do a "Bradbury" and end up in the 8.

Call it wishful thinking or relying on damned lies and statistics but why do Bomber fans have reason to be more optimistic with their inexperienced line up than us?

Not sure about caution or negativity, but the quality of Essendon's more senior players was much greater last season.

I loved Whelan, but I'd never put him, Wheatley or Robertson in the same league as Lloyd or Fletcher, or even Lucas.

We were also cruelled by injuries, so yeah, I think we're a good chance to scrape into the 8.

So much so that I've put some money on it, considering the favourable odds on offer.

Edit: and I think Essendon supporters greatly overestimate their list.

Their midfield is second rate at best, in my opinion.

Edited by Keyser Söze

Has 'the sunday age' got the wrong date on the caption? It says 'melbourne players return to the rooms after a rare win....in Dean Bailey's second season as coach'.

Also I think that is Bell in the photo and I cant' recall him playing in that game either.

Interesting on the stats. Very interesting. I think the Bombers are likely to battle a bit this year (just my hunch but they lost a lot of talent) and they only fell into the eight. Having said that, their games against Collingwood on ANZAC Day and against the Saints were unbelievable. The speed and skill level were very high. In a different league. I am as hopeful and optimistic as the next Demons supporter and entertained thoughts of finals until I watched those three wins. That brought me back to Earth and made me think a bit more cautiously. Then again, a big pre-season and no injuries and anything can happen!

Interesting on the stats. Very interesting. I think the Bombers are likely to battle a bit this year (just my hunch but they lost a lot of talent) and they only fell into the eight. Having said that, their games against Collingwood on ANZAC Day and against the Saints were unbelievable. The speed and skill level were very high. In a different league. I am as hopeful and optimistic as the next Demons supporter and entertained thoughts of finals until I watched those three wins. That brought me back to Earth and made me think a bit more cautiously. Then again, a big pre-season and no injuries and anything can happen!

I suppose everything's relative but there's nothing shabby about beating Fremantle with more than a dozen players (some of them your best) missing. The game against West Coast wasn't too bad either considering how they finished the season and Port Adelaide were in the running for a place in the eight. Considering everything I wouldn't worry about looking back at our wins or our losses. This year's a whole new ball game.

Not sure about caution or negativity, but the quality of Essendon's more senior players was much greater last season.

I loved Whelan, but I'd never put him, Wheatley or Robertson in the same league as Lloyd or Fletcher, or even Lucas.

We were also cruelled by injuries, so yeah, I think we're a good chance to scrape into the 8.

So much so that I've put some money on it, considering the favourable odds on offer.

Edit: and I think Essendon supporters greatly overestimate their list.

Their midfield is second rate at best, in my opinion.

great call mate they think there awesome but really i reckon our midfield is as good as theres already and half the blokes we have on the ball under the age of 20. i reckon they'll struggle heaps this year!

Chief, you've won me over (as did reading about the recent training session). New season new ballgame.

I think also, that you have to be positive at this time of the year, weather you are premiership contenders or most likely wooden spooners, if you go out to play with the mindset that you're only going to win a few games, then you probably will.

But realistically i am with you, stoked for 10th, and jizz in my pants if we make the 8

Hi, I'm new and want to introduce myself. I really enjoy reading the forums and hearing from other Demons tragics.

I am a little worried about everyone getting ahead of themselves on how the Red and Blue will perform this year. I watched the last three games that we won in 2009 and feel the pace and skill-level of the team is well below the other 75% of clubs in the competition. It's almost like watching a practice match. There were some really great improvements in some players, Sylvia being the standout, and the team has certainly gotten stronger. But some clubs had thrown in the towel during the second half of the season and we were playing weak oppositions, it seems to me. Anyone have thoughts on that? I am just afraid that come round one against a hungry Hawthorn it may not be pretty.

On the flip side Ned we were not really trying to win games last season, some even say we might have manufactored a loss or two.

I think (I hope) we will see much improvement and at least another 4-5 wins this season but we will still be a long way off the top sides.

Cards, that to me is the great unknown. Switching players all over the place and running few interchanges made it difficult to judge -- other than when we didn't do it we seemed to win! That's the great hope for me (outside of the new faces and everyone being fit).

In reviewing our results in 2009 where we all know that we won 4 games and tanked for the later part of the year.

In RD 1 we were beaten by North Melb by 34 points, in RD 5 were beaten by Adelaide by 17 points, RD 6 beaten by Geelong by 43 points,beaten by WC by 8 points in RD7. In RD 8 BEATEN by the Scraggers by 7 points.Rd 9 beaten by Hawthorn by 22 points.In rd 17 & 18 we were beaten by the Swans by 18 points when we were tanking, and Richmond by 4 points.

And to show how well we could or can play belted Fremantle by 63 points.

The above results show me that with natural improvement, allowing our players to play in their rightful positions will allow us to win at least 7 games