Training 8 January 2010

2for1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone heading down to training tomorrow?

most definitely. what a way to start my 3day weekend

and give myself a much needed footy fix

much much needed...

I stayed for 90 minutes , until the heat overwhelmed me , and the following observations were noted:

Scott West seemed to be issuing most of the instructions and I didn't notice if Bailey was present .

Morton has finally developed a chest and arm definition.He is also wearing his hair longer .

Moloney has massive arms

Tapscott is extremely fit and strong .

Scully is very scrawny and pale , but knows how to handle the football .

Jurrah did not train with the main group , but did 200m run throughs only , and appeared to be struggling .

Wona also did run throughs , without discomfort , but was not the lithe bodied player we noted at pre season last year .

Garland was involved in alot of the main drills , though I didn't notice him kicking . He appeared fit and strong .

Watts , like Morton , has developed definition in his arms and shoulders , but still appears to need significant more building up before he can hold his own amongst the Scarletts of the world .

Sylvia looks remarkable and appears to bear the same countenance that led me to predict his coming out season last year , about the same time of year . He will have a top season if his body stands up !

Gawn and Spencer are both huge boys , with the latter having obviously added significantly to last year's relatively light frame .

Green looks supremely fit .

Davey was enthusiastic and involved as ever - he is a leader .

Trengove showed classy movement with the ball .

Gysberts is a nice , smooth mover and seemed to enjoy his involvement at training .

Maric doesn't look scrawny or hunched now ,and appears to have worked hard and unhindered in the pre season.

Jamar didn't seem to do anything other than slow laps from my observation .

Dunn was probably the most enthusiastic trainer in at my view . He did everything with thorough conviction and application and enthusiasm .

Newton was also an impressive trainer , much to the dismay of many at Demonland , I'm sure .

Edited by joeboy

Jurrah did not train with the main group , but did 200m run throughs only , and appeared to be struggling .

hmmm.... I haven't heard one positive report about Jurrah this summer. I wonder if he's recovering from an injury or can't cope with the heavy demands of a pre season or a combo of both??

Thanks heaps for the report mate! Much appreciated.

hmmm.... I haven't heard one positive report about Jurrah this summer. I wonder if he's recovering from an injury or can't cope with the heavy demands of a pre season or a combo of both??

Thanks heaps for the report mate! Much appreciated.

Jurrah picked up a slight injury just before the break; he should be fine.

I went down this morning. First things first there wasn't much of a crowd I would say 30 tops.

Things that impressed me were the size of Tapscott. Looks like he has ripped up a bit. He has a great leg on him. He didn't train much just did some running at the start with Jurrah, some kicking and tackling with the main group then I think went to the pool. Trengove looks like he's been there a while was doing a kicking drill with Flash and didn't shank many if any trained the whole session. Scully did about an hours work with the main group then did so me running with Bruce looks very good by foot I know some posters said he was loopy with his kicks but to me he was kicking bullets today. Watts did about as much as Scully. Didn't notice much he didn't attract too much of the footy in the full ground drill. Has great latteral movement the tackling drill that's something I did notice tho. Gysberts and Fitzpatrick trained the whole session without shining. Gysberts seems move around at a good crusing pace. Prob needs to work on his kicking bit floaty.

Players that went for a bike ride were Blease Garland and I think Gawn Messon Jamar and TMac

I went down this morning. First things first there wasn't much of a crowd I would say 30 tops.

Things that impressed me were the size of Tapscott. Looks like he has ripped up a bit. He has a great leg on him. He didn't train much just did some running at the start with Jurrah, some kicking and tackling with the main group then I think went to the pool. Trengove looks like he's been there a while was doing a kicking drill with Flash and didn't shank many if any trained the whole session. Scully did about an hours work with the main group then did so me running with Bruce looks very good by foot I know some posters said he was loopy with his kicks but to me he was kicking bullets today. Watts did about as much as Scully. Didn't notice much he didn't attract too much of the footy in the full ground drill. Has great latteral movement the tackling drill that's something I did notice tho. Gysberts and Fitzpatrick trained the whole session without shining. Gysberts seems move around at a good crusing pace. Prob needs to work on his kicking bit floaty.

Players that went for a bike ride were Blease Garland and I think Gawn Messon Jamar and TMac

Excellent

Cheers for the review.

I've just got back from Casey Fields, a great day and I was impressed with the crowd considering it was just a training session. I'd be interested to know how many people would attend training at previous locations.

You can never take too much away from a training session because most players tend to look pretty good, but just a few notes:

- Trengove looks like a five year veteran. He moves well, is strong, smart and has very good skills. I'm not sure which is his dominant foot because he is so strong on both sides. Barring injury I see him playing Round 1 without any hesitation and I put my money on him for the Rising Star (which isn't a surprise).

- Compared to last Summer there looked to be much more game simulation training which is not only more entertaining but it brings out the best and worst of the players skills and decision making as there is pressure on the ball carrier. I was impressed with Jones' kicking under pressure as well as Miller's marking.

- As mentioned Scully didn't train as much and his kicking was pretty good. Physically he is quite a bit smaller than Trengove but his explosive pace was evident.

- Tapscott is big, very big even compared to most older players and the penetration in his kicking is sublime.

- Grimes looked really quick, much quicker than I remembered, his kicking is good it's just that he has an awkward looking action.

- Casey Fields looked magnificent, the ground is as good as any and the renovations to the main building looked to be coming on very well. The benefit of this facility was highlighted with players able to go a few hundred metres down the road to swim at the new RACE swimming complex as well as making use of the Criterium Cycling Track within Casey Fields.

It was good to see the full contingent at Casey Fields even if a few were in the rehab group and perhaps a few others were being rotated to do lighter work for various reasons. Colin Garland was one of the rehab guys who was doing laps of the oval when I arrived. He didn't appear at all inconvenienced by the leg injury that cruelled his year in 2009. Aussie was also doing laps and light work. Scully and Trengove look like they will fit into AFL nicely. Gysberts, Tapscott and Strauss should all get games this year and Joel Macdonald will be an aquisition.

I'll try a full report later.

Jan 8 training observations.

Bell; fairly good session , seems to know he needs to be at it more!

Bruce; a lot of running and a pool session later. Worked with Scully.

Davey; sublime, encouraging others verbally, very professional.

Dunn; Very strong session from him, looks ripped too.

Frawley; looks ripped and ready.

Green; great session from him too,a good season should follow.

Jonesy; manic trainer, running machine, very audible to himself and others too.

Jurrah, moving well but needs a feed or two. Easing him back into 2010.

Junior Mac; audibly encouraging, cruised along well.

Miller; strong trainer, still misses too many shots at goal.

Moloney; good strong session, looks a treat visually.

Newton ; actually trained quite well and moved around a lot more!!!

Rivers; looks a bit stronger in upper torso and did well.

Scully; worked with Bruce running a fair bit - good session.

Sylvia; similar to Moloney, strong hands on the lead.

Tapscott; body is amazing for a kid, strong in tackle drills.

Trengove; seems to be getting the confidence he will need - moves well.

Watts; perhaps more shoulder and arm definition, went for a swim later.

Wonna; steady, a bit of grinding running, obviously under management of rehab crew.

Strong session with a few fumbles that had the whole squad doing push ups, on the spot, for excessive blunders. These seem to be happening less and the disposal is on the improve helped by a few of the new recruits. Tackling drills were IMO sensational with upper bodies being tested strongly. Ruck work is also an area on the improve. Size in this area now is excellent. Even the new ruck types have a bit of muscle on them and this will improve even more with time.

Movement thru the centre during end to end work was first class with some strong gut running from Jones, Dunn, Grimes, Sylvia, Molly, and others. Miller took a few very strong forward grabs that had all his mates applauding. Loved the way our skipper quietly pulled a couple of younger blokes aside during general end to end work and told them that they must finish the hard work done down thru the back and middle lines. He is a unsung legend at Melbourne, leads by example and encourages continually. Still a few on lighter duties and 5 or 6 went out on the bike route with probably double that sent up to Casey Pools for water rehab. The whole squad is moving along nicely. ;)

Also went today and echo other posters comments. Sorry no camera

The most noticable absentee was Bails.Cannot remember seeing Mahoney either.

The players that did not do all training included- Bate, Blease, Bruce,Garland, Gawn, Jamar, Jurrah, McNamara,Meeson,Tapscott, Wonaeamirri,Healey. Whilst Strauss and Bartram did not complete all of the last section or session of training.

I have attended training at the MFC for over 40 years now and watched them consistently and thought today the atmosphere both on the ground and supporters were amazing.

Some of my thoughts are:

The improved kicking - both at goals and around the ground were so much improved. There training was very much different from recent years. They were using the ball in most drills and played a type of match play. Both Newton and Miller have improved there kicking dramatically. Just hope in goes into match day.Both did extra kicking after training

Watts shows something but in my opinion is a long way off.

The surprise to me- was the improved strength and size of Jetta. The fitness of JB- Jamie Bennell. Truscott & Trengrove , whilst already mentioned look immediate players in the seniors. Scully will be a gun. Strauss-is the biggest surprise- his dash and kicking of half back or a wing will be awesome.Maric, has filled out and like Wonaemirri will be a very dynamic small forward.Jurrah has an elbow injury or is just recovering from it. Flash told me he will be unbelievable this year.Gysberts whilst his kicking needs improvement will be right there in selection for the first game. Two other factors worth stating was the fitness and build on Sylvia-WOW.Rivers, Warnock and Frawley looks like they will be sensational down back. The voice on the ground was amazing with great encouragement coming from all- with Jones,Flash,Beamer and Greenie being very audible. The only player I do not remember being there was Morton. However, it is hard picking up all- in caps etc..

I left feeling great and it was the best New Years present going there. all be it a huge drive from Kensington.

Lastly- McLean would be lucky to get a game this year due to his slowness, Chris Johnson- never along with Buckley very doubtful. Actually it is going to be very hard for the selectors now with the list they have now.

Two other points are: Trengrove is nicknamed- J C & BENNELL- JB.

So with my name - jayceebee- these two will be my favourie players. Gawn will be massive when he grows up.

Scully looked good and Fitzpatrick has had his hair chopped very short.Leave the rest to others & Jack's report.

Edited by jayceebee31

Morton did have a white cap on. His hair has grown and he wore no. 33 (blue and red jumper) during the match simulations.

Thanks- I did not recognise him.Spencer was another that I felt had mproved his bulk, kicking , fitness and speed.

WOW- I CAN'T WAIT TILL THE REAL GAMES START !

Thanks to all for your reports.

You can never take too much away from a training session because most players tend to look pretty good,

Agree. But the observations are still good at this time of year.

Casey Fields looked magnificent, the ground is as good as any and the renovations to the main building looked to be coming on very well. The benefit of this facility was highlighted with players able to go a few hundred metres down the road to swim at the new RACE swimming complex as well as making use of the Criterium Cycling Track within Casey Fields.

I think this is a point to easily overlooked. Two years ago we could not even train on an oval with goal posts and the gym was a rat infested building 40 minutes away.

Its a pity Casey is where it is...so far away.

Look forward to your report Jack.

So with my name - jayceebee- these two will be my favourie players. Gawn will be massive when he grows up.

Scully looked good and Fitzpatrick has had his hair chopped very short.Leave the rest to others & Jack's report.

I believe Jack Trengove's nickname is JT

Hate to be pedantic , but it is Trengove!!!! No "r" after "g". (Noah)

I am the 1st to admit I misspell sometimes, but we all need to get his name right.

The media are pathetic with this and previously Russel Robinson's??????? surname.

Remember Flour and Lion! LOL

Love ya passion JCB, not having a go at you , just trying to be considerate to the player. ;)

Also went today and echo other posters comments. Sorry no camera

The most noticable absentee was Bails.Cannot remember seeing Mahoney either.

The players that did not do all training included- Bate, Blease, Bruce,Garland, Gawn, Jamar, Jurrah, McNamara,Meeson,Tapscott, Wonaeamirri,Healey. Whilst Strauss and Bartram did not complete all of the last section or session of training.

I have attended training at the MFC for over 40 years now and watched them consistently and thought today the atmosphere both on the ground and supporters were amazing.

Some of my thoughts are:

The improved kicking - both at goals and around the ground were so much improved. There training was very much different from recent years. They were using the ball in most drills and played a type of match play. Both Newton and Miller have improved there kicking dramatically. Just hope in goes into match day.Both did extra kicking after training

Watts shows something but in my opinion is a long way off.

The surprise to me- was the improved strength and size of Jetta. The fitness of JB- Jamie Bennell. Truscott & Trengrove , whilst already mentioned look immediate players in the seniors. Scully will be a gun. Strauss-is the biggest surprise- his dash and kicking of half back or a wing will be awesome.Maric, has filled out and like Wonaemirri will be a very dynamic small forward.Jurrah has an elbow injury or is just recovering from it. Flash told me he will be unbelievable this year.Gysberts whilst his kicking needs improvement will be right there in selection for the first game. Two other factors worth stating was the fitness and build on Sylvia-WOW.Rivers, Warnock and Frawley looks like they will be sensational down back. The voice on the ground was amazing with great encouragement coming from all- with Jones,Flash,Beamer and Greenie being very audible. The only player I do not remember being there was Morton. However, it is hard picking up all- in caps etc..

I left feeling great and it was the best New Years present going there. all be it a huge drive from Kensington.

Lastly- McLean would be lucky to get a game this year due to his slowness, Chris Johnson- never along with Buckley very doubtful. Actually it is going to be very hard for the selectors now with the list they have now.

thanks jayceebee. Any reason you think Watts is a long way off? Is it lack of fitness, or not yet confident enough ? he seems to be still nursed through by Melbourne.

thanks jayceebee. Any reason you think Watts is a long way off? Is it lack of fitness, or not yet confident enough ? he seems to be still nursed through by Melbourne.
from what i saw this morning JW looked awesome, JW is rite on target for round 1, as for casey feilds being 2 far away, its a magnificent ground, but you cant please everyone.