Gawn to Full Forward?

jacey

Kurt Tippett and Jessie White were both drafted as ruck and they are two of the most promising KPP in the game.

Tippett and White are both aggressive 'I was raised by wolves' type players but they both have wonderful hands and have excellent mobility. Being a true ruck size, they've also got a few extra inches on the true KPD like Scarlett, Glass, Rutten etc who are around 192. They've got good speed for their size which is good for leads and height for bombs. They make their presence felt and if they don't mark it, they def bring it down.

Obv we need to have a closer look at Gawn live but the vision shows someone who's very mobile and has good hands.

A perfect one two three punch with Watts and Jurrah?

Edited by jacey

Kurt Tippett and Jessie White were both drafted as ruck and they are two of the most promising KPP in the game.

Tippett and White are both aggressive 'I was raised by wolves' type players but they both have wonderful hands and have excellent mobility. Being a true ruck size, they've also got a few extra inches on the true KPD like Scarlett, Glass, Rutten etc who are around 192. They've got good speed for their size which is good for leads and height for bombs. They make their presence felt and if they don't mark it, they def bring it down.

Obv we need to have a closer look at Gawn live but the vision shows someone who's very mobile and has good hands.

A perfect one two three punch with Watts and Jurrah?

It wont work.

He's not moblie enough and when the ball hits the deck he is no chance.

Maybe Paul Johnson might work Jaecy. ;)

One thing. Can he kick straight?

If not, then it's not worth it. There's so much that goes into being a great forward, but as far as I can see a decent kick would have to be the defining difference between a good career forward and a great one.

Personally I reckon when Watts and Jurrah start to come into their own, I wouldn't mind going down a Gehrig path. Recruit a player from another club who has been overlooked as a forward, and shift him there.

One thing. Can he kick straight?

If not, then it's not worth it. There's so much that goes into being a great forward, but as far as I can see a decent kick would have to be the defining difference between a good career forward and a great one.

Personally I reckon when Watts and Jurrah start to come into their own, I wouldn't mind going down a Gehrig path. Recruit a player from another club who has been overlooked as a forward, and shift him there.

You're putting a suitcase load of pressure on a first year player recovering from an ACL to expect him to do well from the start as a KPP.

I think that's more the role they have in mind for Fitzpatrick.
Agree, because it has been mentioned by FD. However, supporters need to be just as patient with the likes of Fitzpatrick and Gawn as we have with say....Tommy Mac. Don't expect the world from these two. Fitzpatrick is raw and will need alot of work if he is to be anything.

Agree, because it has been mentioned by FD. However, supporters need to be just as patient with the likes of Fitzpatrick and Gawn as we have with say....Tommy Mac. Don't expect the world from these two. Fitzpatrick is raw and will need alot of work if he is to be anything.

Gawn is coming off a knee op and Fitzpatrick off chronic fatigue. That of itself will take time for both. 2010 will be a settling in year for both at best most likely. Hopefully they will get in some games at Casey and be ready for a good preseason next year. Gysberts will also need time. The other three are of course in a different boat.

Yep and he's closer to being ready to play than big Maxi as well.

Also, Fizzy is quick on a lead for a big guy! Perfect for KPF

don't be surprised if fitzpatrick plays down the back in a key position. he may not have the elite skills required of a key forward.

Bailey indicated in a recent interview on Foxtel that they may go for Jamar up forward (esp in short term).

Gawn - possible similar player to Salmon. that would be terrific.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

hmm.. we finally get a real looker of a prospect as a ruck to add to the depth in this position ....and we want to put him down the pointy end ??

As others suggest Fitzsy I think was drafted with this kind of role in mind perhaps.

One caveat....lets just see how they all evolve... often they tend to pick themselves into positions once they find their feet and develop proess.

I actually think this is a good idea. A big body up forward that plays like no one else in the competition is an advantage. The lack of defensive pressure is irrelevant. If we have the tallest forward you just put three aaron Davey types at his feet and you have no problem with defensive pressure.

I can happily say I know nothing about either Gawn's or Fitzpatricks skills but I would take a 208 forward if they could manage the role over a 208 cm ruck. There are different skill sets between forward and rucks and players that can ruck can not necessarily forward, however I think there is a third position possible of forward spoiler where a monster forwards only job is to bring the ball to ground.

This setup will work great with three or four small forwards at the feet of the forward spoiler. It might not suit Melbourne with our embarrassment of decent talls in the forward line. Watts, Bate and Jurrah but if you place, one at CHF and the other two on the wing it could work great.

You're putting a suitcase load of pressure on a first year player recovering from an ACL to expect him to do well from the start as a KPP.

I was?

I think you'll find I was trying to temper peoples' enthusiam by doing the exact opposite. It bothers me when people get on here and say "Grimes for captain" within his forst 5 games based on a recruiters' blurb, or that Gawn could be a FF based on nothing but his height.

When it all comes tumbling down posters get narky. Gawn is nowhere near this point yet, and won't be or 5 years or so.

Although it must be said, it is a good point in the OP that some of the better KP forwards at the moment were drafted as ruckmen.

I must be missing something... Gawn was picked for his rucking.. its these skills and abilites that he was demonstrating with the dragons. We have issues with our rucking depth, we have players in place to develop and assume the roles of goal kickers. You dont take a 208 and growing ruckman and put him out to pasture at FF. ..yes thats exactly what youd be doing putting him there.. He is a tall ...very mobile unit...hes not a forward.

I must be missing something... Gawn was picked for his rucking.. its these skills and abilites that he was demonstrating with the dragons. We have issues with our rucking depth, we have players in place to develop and assume the roles of goal kickers. You dont take a 208 and growing ruckman and put him out to pasture at FF. ..yes thats exactly what youd be doing putting him there.. He is a tall ...very mobile unit...hes not a forward.

Very black and white.

We won't know what he can do for 3 or 4 years.