Robbo

Courtney_Fish

A little Harsh this answer i believe BB. Easy to write from a nice comfy chair. Robbo gave us all a lotta joy and some frustrations sure-but he deserves a little better than what you write above, Maybe we should listen to his farewell speech to the players again. I thought it was great.

I would be playing it to the new recruits

This for me just reinforced how much he was going to miss being the centre of attention.

It wasn't about the mateship, the comaraderie, for him it was about hearing the roar of the crowd at one of his speccies.

No wonder he lost interest in chasing and doing the hard things - for him they weren't the rewarding part.

Guest apple
Yep. You've told us.

So..?

Still doesn't change what I said.

theres no comeback< your a keyboard critic hero, he kicked 450goals , whos the winner a nd whos the critic, hes a winner your a loser, why bag a guy that kicked 450 Majors, he completed why you could only dream about.

Guest apple
This for me just reinforced how much he was going to miss being the centre of attention.

It wasn't about the mateship, the comaraderie, for him it was about hearing the roar of the crowd at one of his speccies.

No wonder he lost interest in chasing and doing the hard things - for him they weren't the rewarding part.

:lol::lol::lol: You think your the enforcer, enforcers kick 450 GOALS, dreamers go an watch them bag 450GOALS, you need show respect, the only time you bleed for the colors is wen you buy a membership, there doing wat you dream about enforcer.

I wouldn't want to see him in another team's colours.

He is a player of a bygone era. Clubs won't recruit guys like him now.

You probably believe that dogs can't look up too don't you? I really love some of the myths that become gospel on message boards.

Robbo was our best forward for years. He should have spent his entire career playing as a third marking option, not the primary target, yet he still managed to kick bags of goals against bigger and stronger opponents. He finished his career in third place on our all time goalkicking list, two ahead of Gary Lyon. Oddly, I never hear anybody taking a shot at the way he played the game.

Sadly for all those poor folks who don't let reality get in the way of a good bias, Robertson was in fact a very good player and remained a highly effective forward to the end of his AFL career. His game did suffer from the lingering effects of a torn Achilles tendon, but even with this handicap (and having played only half the season) he topped our goalkicking this year.

What I'm getting at here is that a player of Robertson's abilities would be at home in any team in the AFL. His mobility was only going to improve with a proper pre-season, which would cure the perceived weakness in his defensive efforts and if his output remained the same he would be good value to a premiership contender. 50+ goals from a third forward is gold. Imagine if the Saints had had that. For that matter, imagine if the Hawks, Dogs or Cats had had that.

It is truly a shame that he wasn't given the chance to play with a contender that he so richly deserves. I hope that wherever he winds up next he can still find joy in playing the game, since he's provided so much to all of us.

How the Hell do you know if that's how Robbo Felt?? Jesus H Christ there is a lot of crap written on this Forum these days.

Show some respect to someone who played 12 years at the club.

You have no idea what Robbo's mateship status with the players in the change room was. Nor you should.

What you stated was disrespectful.

How the Hell do you know if that's how Robbo Felt?? Jesus H Christ there is a lot of crap written on this Forum these days.

Show some respect to someone who played 12 years at the club.

You have no idea what Robbo's mateship status with the players in the change room was. Nor you should.

What you stated was disrespectful.

I'm going by what he said as his career came to an end.

It was all self serving waffling...

I'm going by what he said as his career came to an end.

It was all self serving waffling...

He still loved playing with those guys. Don't underestimate that.

Hey if i could take hangers in front of a big crowd i would Love to hear the Roar too, But what's wrong with that.

Without team mates Robbo would not have got the ball. so i just think he deserves a little more respect.

He still loved playing with those guys. Don't underestimate that.

Hey if i could take hangers in front of a big crowd i would Love to hear the Roar too, But what's wrong with that.

Without team mates Robbo would not have got the ball. so i just think he deserves a little more respect.

I reserve my right to criticize him for the pain he personally caused me throughout his career.

I reserve my right to criticize him for the pain he personally caused me throughout his career.

Fair enough, but don't diss his farewell speech that's all i ask, because that to me came from his heart.

Footy careers do fly by & it would be a great excercise to show that to the new boys, so they don't waste any opportuniies.

Edited by why you little

Robbo was our best forward for years. He should have spent his entire career playing as a third marking option, not the primary target, yet he still managed to kick bags of goals against bigger and stronger opponents. He finished his career in third place on our all time goalkicking list, two ahead of Gary Lyon. Oddly, I never hear anybody taking a shot at the way he played the game.

Robbo had a very good career at MFC after coming off the rookie list. He improved his game particularly his kicking in the first 8 to 9 years. It is one of the myths that he should have played as a third marking option. He was in fact at various times our first and 2nd marking option (after Neitz). As you point out he regularly beat bigger and stronger opponents. He was a hard match for this size at his peak but the demands of the game changed 5 years ago and Robbo started to get found out inceasingly in some of those areas of his game that were never strong.....

Sadly for all those poor folks who don't let reality get in the way of a good bias, Robertson was in fact a very good player and remained a highly effective forward to the end of his AFL career. His game did suffer from the lingering effects of a torn Achilles tendon, but even with this handicap (and having played only half the season) he topped our goalkicking this year.

Even sadder for you my friend that you are caught by this bug. Robbo started to struggle in 2006 and his following years tracked a slow decline with fewer and fewer cameos to save his bacon. By his last two seasons, he was a shadow of the player he was and the demands of the game were making him looking more and more out of place. MFC have to move forward and Robbo was not part of that move.

What I'm getting at here is that a player of Robertson's abilities would be at home in any team in the AFL. His mobility was only going to improve with a proper pre-season, which would cure the perceived weakness in his defensive efforts and if his output remained the same he would be good value to a premiership contender. 50+ goals from a third forward is gold. Imagine if the Saints had had that. For that matter, imagine if the Hawks, Dogs or Cats had had that.

Now you are dreaming and along way from reality. 16 clubs had the chance to take him for free. They didn't....reality check. His mobility was suspect pre the ankle injury. It was not any better afterwards and his perceived weakness were real....reality check. Now lets imagine....damn it...reality keeps coming back again that he is finished. The rides over. Time to get off the dream.

A little Harsh this answer i believe BB. Easy to write from a nice comfy chair. Robbo gave us all a lotta joy and some frustrations sure-but he deserves a little better than what you write above, Maybe we should listen to his farewell speech to the players again. I thought it was great.

I would be playing it to the new recruits

amazing how many lose sight that it is...all said and done..a career.. a job. My comments were quite matter of fact.. ..yo dont like them..thats your opinoin...not a fact.

His speech didnt actually line up all that much with his parting sentiments...so which ever you prefer ..is your perogative.

he was a good player.. fantastic fo rsome years.. He was also his own worst ambassador and a lazy player at times..more in the latter years.

My rose glasses are off.... doesnt mean I didnt enjoy many of his games.

amazing how many lose sight that it is...all said and done..a career.. a job. My comments were quite matter of fact.. ..yo dont like them..thats your opinoin...not a fact.

His speech didnt actually line up all that much with his parting sentiments...so which ever you prefer ..is your perogative.

he was a good player.. fantastic fo rsome years.. He was also his own worst ambassador and a lazy player at times..more in the latter years.

My rose glasses are off.... doesnt mean I didnt enjoy many of his games.

Robbo did say a few things at careers end that in time he may regret, that's life. We have all done that. For a couple of weeks he was [censored] off no doubt. That probably erupted after doing all his Rehab last year, now the career is over was all that hard work worth it??

But i don't think it had anything to do with farewelling his team mates. Footy careers do rock by quick & i think he got that point across really well.

And it hasn't tarnished my view of his 12 year stint at the MFC.

Considering his Height i reckon he did a great job, not every player his size could hold down a key position-Robbo did a pretty fair job. And because of 1 or 2 incidents i think he cops a pretty raw deal.

Allen Jakovich had a pretty ordinary defensive game, but nobody bags him. Jako was a Genius in my eyes. Robbo was a bloody good player & that's how i will remember him.

Jesus H Christ there is a lot of crap written on this Forum these days.

This view is offered quite a bit I think - was there ever a time where crap wasn't written on this forum?

I agree Robbo's speech came from the heart and as a long time fan of Robbo it was sad to see - but I think there were elements of it that reminded me of the very elements that frustrated us all. It was pretty much all about Robbo and there was little consideration for the club's plans.

Jesus H Christ there is a lot of crap written on this Forum these days.

This view is offered quite a bit I think - was there ever a time where crap wasn't written on this forum?

:lol:

And here's you two talking "crap", again...why don't you guys start up a thread on this ? Go for it. Leave Robbo alone. ;)

:lol:

And here's you two talking "crap", again...why don't you guys start up a thread on this ? Go for it. Leave Robbo alone. ;)

:lol: :lol: Gotta Pay that one. My Shout. I still reckon Robbo is harshly treated in here, but that's my opinion.

Allen Jakovich had a pretty ordinary defensive game, but nobody bags him. Jako was a Genius in my eyes. Robbo was a bloody good player & that's how i will remember him.

wait a sec...

jackovich kicked 208 goals in 54 games, an average of 3.85 goals per game. robbo kicked nearly exactly double the ammount of goals (417) in 223 games.

Im not taking anything away from robbo here, he did it consistently over the course of 223 games not just a few seasons ala jacko, but jackos output was on average, double that of robbos on the scoreboard.

also, this is a perfect example of the 'player of a bygone era' discussion of above. in 1991/92 not many forwards applied defensive pressure. the game was about attack across the ground. in 2009/10 it is a requirement of all players to attack and defend. it is a requirement that players put in the 1%'s to keep the ball up forward, to chase their man etc.

18 years on it is a different game.

And....

Jako was a player from a bygone era. As is Robertson.

When I say that, what I mean is that players who don't apply defensive pressure in the forward line do not get played in today's game.

And Robbo only ever applied token pressure, if that.

wait a sec...

jackovich kicked 208 goals in 54 games, an average of 3.85 goals per game. robbo kicked nearly exactly double the ammount of goals (417) in 223 games.

Im not taking anything away from robbo here, he did it consistently over the course of 223 games not just a few seasons ala jacko, but jackos output was on average, double that of robbos on the scoreboard.

also, this is a perfect example of the 'player of a bygone era' discussion of above. in 1991/92 not many forwards applied defensive pressure. the game was about attack across the ground. in 2009/10 it is a requirement of all players to attack and defend. it is a requirement that players put in the 1%'s to keep the ball up forward, to chase their man etc.

18 years on it is a different game.

I don't disagree, i was just using Jakovich as an example. Jacko was a Flawed Genius, Robbo was great and that's how i hope they are remembered by us all at the MFC.

I reckon everyone should stop having cracks at robbo i bet u were all on his band wagon when he was takin hangers on the G or kicking 7 goals against collingwood in the queens birthday game a year or too back, a game we should not of come close too winning and there is a heap more that i cant be bothered sitting here and trying to remember but i upsets me that you can all turn on him like that.

Yes he had hes faults and at times went one too many hangers but bloody hell he was good too watch, you dont get too many players like him and i just reckon its weak as [censored] coming on here and having a crack at him, hes a club legend!

Some of you carry on like we have been up there as one of the best teams in the league.... umm hate to break it to you but we havent won a grand final in 45 years and didnt play finals for 23 of those years... imagine if the MFC had kicked 400 less goals in the last decade?

It really gives me the poo's coz i can put my house on it that a few years back if Robbo took a screemer at the G' and while i was jumping around telling my mates all about how Robbo just sat on there teams defenders head you blokes were sitting there going 'oh he doesnt do one percenters, he goes for to many marks, hes up him self, its all about robbo" turn it up, and have some respect you muppets! i loved the bloke and will miss him and i just think you should really look back and think before you write because alot of the stuff people write is just horse poo!

I reckon everyone should stop having cracks at robbo i bet u were all on his band wagon when he was takin hangers on the G or kicking 7 goals against collingwood in the queens birthday game a year or too back, a game we should not of come close too winning and there is a heap more that i cant be bothered sitting here and trying to remember but i upsets me that you can all turn on him like that.

Yes he had hes faults and at times went one too many hangers but bloody hell he was good too watch, you dont get too many players like him and i just reckon its weak as [censored] coming on here and having a crack at him, hes a club legend!

Some of you carry on like we have been up there as one of the best teams in the league.... umm hate to break it to you but we havent won a grand final in 45 years and didnt play finals for 23 of those years... imagine if the MFC had kicked 400 less goals in the last decade? It really gives me the poo's coz i can put my house on it that a few years back if Robbo took a screemer at the G' and while i was jumping around telling my mates all about how Robbo just sat on there teams defenders head you blokes were sitting there going 'oh he doesnt do one percenters, he goes for to many marks, hes up him self, its all about robbo" turn it up, and have some respect you muppets! i loved the bloke and will miss him and i just think you should really look back and think before you write because alot of the stuff people write is just horse poo!

Had a great time watching robbo over the years.......his 7 goal hall against collingwood in 2007 was fantastic!

If MFC had of kicked 400 less goals in the last decade, than we'd still would be in the same position we are now... :rolleyes:

Some of you carry on like we have been up there as one of the best teams in the league.... umm hate to break it to you but we havent won a grand final in 45 years and didnt play finals for 23 of those years... imagine if the MFC had kicked 400 less goals in the last decade?

It really gives me the poo's coz i can put my house on it that a few years back if Robbo took a screemer at the G' and while i was jumping around telling my mates all about how Robbo just sat on there teams defenders head you blokes were sitting there going 'oh he doesnt do one percenters, he goes for to many marks, hes up him self, its all about robbo" turn it up, and have some respect you muppets! i loved the bloke and will miss him and i just think you should really look back and think before you write because alot of the stuff people write is just horse poo!

agree :rolleyes:

Still love robbo.

Can we leave it at that on not continue at Robbos expense please!