How many players will debut in Round 1?

Dee tention

I think Tapscott and Trengove are the most likely to play Round 1. Especially being our home game!

Both have played senior football in the SANFL and have the bodies to withstand AFL.

And I do think the football club will debut them together with them being best mates. It's a given I would think.

Will Scully be a part of Round 1? I aint too sure. It will depend on whether his body can withstand the punishment straight up.

Debuting 3 players in Round 1 is a bit too much. But 2 is very possible!

Strauss and Blease I would expect to play at Casey for the first few rounds at least. But I do think Strauss could be alot sooner than later.

I think we should get a few games into these players early without burning them out.

TRENGOVE & TAPSCOTT straight up for me! And add JOEL MCDONALD to that list for his first as a Dee!

I have painful memories of getting smashed in Rd 1 by a physical Hawthorn side in the past. Personally I would rather see an experienced line-up with maybe only one of the SA boys being introduced. It will of course depend in how the NAB cup goes.

Next year is important for us to start well with 7 of the first 8 games at the 'G. If we can win 3 possibly 4 out of 7 it will go along way to setting up our season (Rich/North/WCE the best bets) with positive vibes. Hence its important we are super competitive against the Hawks in Rd 1.

I dont think we are going to have any problem spreading our debutants.

Scully, Trengove, Tapscott, Blease, Strauss we are going to see plenty.

Agree completely that its more important to be competitive and introduce them based on fitness / form.

Scully and Trengove only, or 1 of the 2.

Both will be good enough to go from Round 1 and at least one will or else questions will be asked, it'll be a PR disaster and many people will be scratching their heads.

Ok, maybe an exaggeration.

Gawn & Fitzpatrick definitely not. I think they'll be lucky to get a game this year, but may get one to help development.

Gysberts would be capable but too light at the beginning of the season, although he will get a taste towards the end of the year.

Tapscott will be capable and will play early on in the season, but it will take him longer to earn a spot than Bones or JT.

Edit: Forgot Blease. He also will play early. Not sure about Round 1. I guess it depends on his recovery from the leg injury. If he's 100% I'd back him to get a game in the first 3 matches.

Strauss to take a bit longer.

Edited by Keyser Söze

If they are fit and showing form then Trengove and Scully should be lock ins given our midfield last year.

I understand Scully is on a modified program given his post season op. It might hold him back. It might open a spot for either Grysbert and Tapscott or Blease.

If they are fit and showing form then Trengove and Scully should be lock ins given our midfield last year.

I understand Scully is on a modified program given his post season op. It might hold him back. It might open a spot for either Grysbert and Tapscott or Blease.

But who gets squeezed out to allow them in?

I have the feeling it is someone like Jetta which is a shame cos he was quite good at the end of 2009 season.

Its almost a case of needing to get games in to too many players and just not enough spots.

What a great headache to have.

I have the feeling it is someone like Jetta which is a shame cos he was quite good at the end of 2009 season.

Its almost a case of needing to get games in to too many players and just not enough spots.

Great problem to have. It will also mean guys will be working alot harder, both young and old. I can't help but think the likes of Scully, Trengove, Grimes will help raise the bar at training & their professionalism to set new benchmarks. It's all positive.

That's not to say the likes of stalwarts in McDonald, Green & Bruce haven't provided that in the past....but sometimes a fresh coat of paint helps improve the "vibe" or "atmosphere", therefore an improved focus or attitude. It can replenish the vets and give them renewed hope.

Edited by High Tower

Scully eill only be a maximum of a fortnight behind - however he is that fit- it will take weeks for the others to catch up with him.Scully will play first up- I would even bet yours on it.

I am not sure it is or if there is a problem.

We lack class and proven mature ball winners. Many of the young players have potential but some wont make it. Some of the older players may find there are younger and more proficient at the game. I would hope that many of the top 4 recruited are better than what we have. Its great we will have more competition for spots but the hope is those displaced get better to be real competition for the best we have.

While we showed some promise last year, we just weren't good enough. I hope we have gone a long way to addressing that.

Scully eill only be a maximum of a fortnight behind - however he is that fit- it will take weeks for the others to catch up with him.Scully will play first up- I would even bet yours on it.

If its true that is good. But he has not done any football for two to three months after that operation on his leg. He was ver fit prior to that operation. I understand he is starting behind the main group but on a modified program. I am not sure for how long and what impact it will have on his pre season. If he is fit enough,I am sure he will play but I would only bet your own.

Guest hellter skelter

IF jetta completes a full pre season he will play round 1, i was at training last friday and he stood out, why would they drop him or bennell when they gave them so much time last season?

Something to bear in mind with all of this is that we have become too used to early and abundant blooding of new players over the past few years. This should not be the norm in a successful team as a settled team is what every club is striving for. Without doubt we have assembled a terrific bunch of talent over recent times but I would rather see the newbies forcing their way into a competitive set up made up of more mature bodies. Paul Roos put it well when he said that although Rohan is a fantastic prospect, he is nowhere near the likes of Kirk et al fitness wise, he described him as a long term project. Rather than what has happened lately which has seen us having to play the young kids due to shocking levels of injuries and a lack of class I hope that recruits of the previous couple of years will start to play consistently and injury free. Maric, Grimes, Jones and Garland and even Dunn are the ones who I am excited about this year. If they can make the move up in gear that Chip did last year we will see great improvement in the team. Similarly, I look forward to some of last years crop starting to play a game or two as well. Blease, Strauss and McNamara are next in line. Having said that, I am sure that Scully and Trengove will feature early on.

GH - Rohan is like a tall in that he was drafted more on potential than performance - he averages 12 possesions (I think that is in championships not TAC). Trengove's SANFL form would've put him in a lot of AFL sides late last year, so after an AFL preseason if he remains fit it seems logical for me that he will be in the side.

NAB cup form will dictate.

Trengove, Scully, Strauss, Blease, Tapscott must all be in with a good shot. Those 5 are more advanced than the 4 who had their debut this year - Spencer, Jetta, Bennell, Cheney. I'd be surprised if anyone else debut outside those 5.

And we shouldn't forget it is more than likely that Joel Macdonald will make his debut.

I would think that Given MacDonald will walk in to the dees best 22 (someone existing then needs to be cut to make way for him), spots for Kids will have to be earnt rather than just given out.

The dees know given a kid on debut will draw a crowd, so I expect for there to be one kid playing round 1.

My bet is Strauss, Trengove or Tapscott based on their physical make up. I think Scully might be a chance round 3-4, along with Blease who also is coming back from injury.

I doubt we will be seeing Gawn/Fitzpatrick until late in the year, so the dees have to spread Trengove, Scully, Blease and Strauss's debuts over the first half of the season so they do not upset the team balance too much.