LIST MANAGEMENT (POST 2009 DRAFT)

jayceebee31

After the draft and sifting through our current list and new recruits I started to think what do we need to cover of the next few years. I made a team based on 40 or less games- a development team.

Best Developing Team (40 or under)

B: CHENEY WARNOCK MARTIN

HB: BENNELL FRAWLEY STRAUSS

C: McNAMARA GRIMES BLEASE

HF: TAPSCOTT MORTON MARIC

F: WONAEAMIRRI WATTS JURRAH

R: GAWN TRENGOVE SCULLY

I: PETTERD JETTA GARLAND SPENCER

EMERG: MEESON FITZPATRICK NEWTON McKENZIE HEALEY HUGHES

What I concluded is we need to recruit a top class tall back, tall forward, a top class winger and maybe a small/ medium back. This can happen over the next couple of years ,also upgrading our rookies. What do you think? Before you criticise- made Garland an interchanger as can play many postions.

After the draft and sifting through our current list and new recruits I started to think what do we need to cover of the next few years. I made a team based on 40 or less games- a development team.

Best Developing Team (40 or under)

B: CHENEY WARNOCK MARTIN

HB: BENNELL FRAWLEY STRAUSS

C: McNAMARA GRIMES BLEASE

HF: TAPSCOTT MORTON MARIC

F: WONAEAMIRRI WATTS JURRAH

R: GAWN TRENGOVE SCULLY

I: PETTERD JETTA GARLAND SPENCER

EMERG: MEESON FITZPATRICK NEWTON McKENZIE HEALEY HUGHES

What I concluded is we need to recruit a top class tall back, tall forward, a top class winger and maybe a small/ medium back. This can happen over the next couple of years ,also upgrading our rookies. What do you think? Before you criticise- made Garland an interchanger as can play many postions.

Do you think there is enough pace in this side? I was surprised we overlooked Jetta in the draft, although i heard he was 'off the radar'.

Also, who is your tagger or 'run with' player in this group? Maybe McKenzie can step up and fill this role.

Thats a hell of a lot of kids who need game time.

This probably should be on the drafting board.

I think we will need another tall forward. Probably a crumbing forward (not a flanker)

I really cannot see that many gaping holes in our list anymore. We just need to develop the player we have drafted.

Do you think there is enough pace in this side? I was surprised we overlooked Jetta in the draft, although i heard he was 'off the radar'.

Also, who is your tagger or 'run with' player in this group? Maybe McKenzie can step up and fill this role.

Blease & Strauss are quick-good point re tagger- maybe it is that good of a side we do not need a tagger- however got your point- McKenzie in -out whom ?

Edited by jayceebee31

Thats a hell of a lot of kids who need game time.

This probably should be on the drafting board.

I think we will need another tall forward. Probably a crumbing forward (not a flanker)

Fitzpatrick / Maric

I really cannot see that many gaping holes in our list anymore. We just need to develop the player we have drafted.

Exactly right

The amount of competition for spots is going to go along way in shaping a competitive team

We have options like never before and thats good news

Exactly right

The amount of competition for spots is going to go along way in shaping a competitive team

We have options like never before and thats good news

Agree totally, however a young Nathan Bock, A tall young Roughhead, a young Robbie Flower ,a Jack Viney and Gee look out because the DEES ARE COMING.

GO DEES

The major issues are that we're slow and we lack talls, so it'd be nice to remedy that.

Virtually every [non-ruck] tall on our primary list is in our best 22, and the only tall on the rookie list will be Newton (assuming we pick up him and Meesen, as suggested on melbournefc.com.au when they were delisted).

The ruck cupboard is also pretty bare, which is a bit of a concern considering how long young ruck prospects take to make the grade. However, they do seem to be a 'type' you can trade for.

IMO we also need to find a small crumbing forward (as Davis333 has said) and a quick 'lock-down' defender. The options for the former seem to be Wona and Maric, while options for the latter seem to be Cheney and Bennell.

Our midfield's not quick, so it's important Blease comes on.

Blease & Strauss are quick-good point re tagger- maybe it is that good of a side we do not need a tagger- however got your point- McKenzie in -out whom ?

Possibly cheney or McNamara. Theres a lot of competition.

Good story from CC on draft night about McKenzie. He was going to be promoted to the senior list, but he volunteered to stay on the rookie list next year so melbourne could draft another young player.

The major issues are that we're slow and we lack talls, so it'd be nice to remedy that.

Virtually every [non-ruck] tall on our primary list is in our best 22, and the only tall on the rookie list will be Newton (assuming we pick up him and Meesen, as suggested on melbournefc.com.au when they were delisted).

The ruck cupboard is also pretty bare, which is a bit of a concern considering how long young ruck prospects take to make the grade. However, they do seem to be a 'type' you can trade for.

IMO we also need to find a small crumbing forward (as Davis333 has said) and a quick 'lock-down' defender. The options for the former seem to be Wona and Maric, while options for the latter seem to be Cheney and Bennell.

Our midfield's not quick, so it's important Blease comes on.

Interestingly, the article on the weekend by Mark Robinson (who would have thought !) on Melbourne and Cameron Schwab at the AA function back in September writing on a serviette "RUN" - indicating we need a side full of run in today's game.

I think Scully, Trengove & Gysberts will provide some of this. With Scully providing the lightning pace. I agree that Blease must come on in this regard (pace department). I was hoping to secure someone like a Colyer (pace;skill), but that wasn't going to happen given in most opinions he was to fall mainly between 20 and 30 in alot of mock drafts. I think we secured the best available at pick 18 in Luke....Tapscott.

If you look at Essendon's recruiting of late, pace is a big indicator. Despite them saying goodbye to Lovett.

Our ruck stocks are Jamar, Spencer, Martin, PJ and now Gawn (208cm) and Fitzpatrick (201cm) with Fitzpatrick reportedly recruited as a Forward/Ruck.

Despite Meesen being delisted, with the promise of being picked as a rookie, I wouldn't refer to the ruck stocks are "pretty bare" unless you are referring to the sheer quality in making the grade - which is what I think you may be alluding to in hindsight. Nevertheless, it's a little healthier IMO than the 2009 ruck list options.

Interestingly, the article on the weekend by Mark Robinson (who would have thought !) on Melbourne and Cameron Schwab at the AA function back in September writing on a serviette "RUN" - indicating we need a side full of run in today's game.

I think Scully, Trengove & Gysberts will provide some of this. With Scully providing the lightning pace. I agree that Blease must come on in this regard (pace department). I was hoping to secure someone like a Colyer (pace;skill), but that wasn't going to happen given in most opinions he was to fall mainly between 20 and 30 in alot of mock drafts. I think we secured the best available at pick 18 in Luke....Tapscott.

If you look at Essendon's recruiting of late, pace is a big indicator. Despite them saying goodbye to Lovett.

Our ruck stocks are Jamar, Spencer, Martin, PJ and now Gawn (208cm) and Fitzpatrick (201cm) with Fitzpatrick reportedly recruited as a Forward/Ruck.

Despite Meesen being delisted, with the promise of being picked as a rookie, I wouldn't refer to the ruck stocks are "pretty bare" unless you are referring to the sheer quality in making the grade - which is what I think you may be alluding to in hindsight. Nevertheless, it's a little healthier IMO than the 2009 ruck list options.

Very good summary- actually we have only- Jamar, Gawn, Meeson, Spencer as true ruckman with what I call makeshift ruckman in Martin,PJ-Johnson and Fitzpatrick. Plenty of scope to pick up experienced ruckman over the next couple of years, if necessary.However, we seem to have ticked the boxes very well with this latest draft.

Edited by jayceebee31

I dont how you can assess ruck stocks any other way than on quality. Number of talls and how tall they are, only blindside the true picture.

Currently our true ruck options are the same as they were in 2009. Jamar if fit is the only player who offers us any real competitive. PJ is not good enough and Meesen is finished. If MFC are serious, they will be focussing on VFL game time on GAWN, Fitz or Spencer to the detriment of Meesen.

Neither GAWN or FItz are likely to play AFL in their first season. They are project players like Spencer. They may or may not work out as AFL footballers in the LT. They are unlikely to be plausible solutions this year.

MFC were right to draft them given our predicament. But they are a LT solution and not a quick fix.

I dont how you can assess ruck stocks any other way than on quality. Number of talls and how tall they are, only blindside the true picture.

Currently our true ruck options are the same as they were in 2009. Jamar if fit is the only player who offers us any real competitive. PJ is not good enough and Meesen is finished. If MFC are serious, they will be focussing on VFL game time on GAWN, Fitz or Spencer to the detriment of Meesen.

Neither GAWN or FItz are likely to play AFL in their first season. They are project players like Spencer. They may or may not work out as AFL footballers in the LT. They are unlikely to be plausible solutions this year.

MFC were right to draft them given our predicament. But they are a LT solution and not a quick fix.

I believe the club is not looking for a quick fix. They are trying to build a club. PJ was recruited as a forward/ part time ruckman,similar to Fitzpatrick. The only true ruckman recruited have been Jamar, Meeson. Gawn & Spencer.You seem to forget how Meeson played earlier in the season before he got injured.Also, others seem to think he has ability. Adelaide drafted him at eight and did not want to let him go. As human beings we are all different. We mature differently, injure differently,heal differently, think differently. Furthermore, talls seem to develop at a slower rate- seem to reah their prime from 25 on.To say he is finished is just plain ridiculous. At least give him a chance whilst he is on the list.Actually I hope he sticks it right up you.You are so,so negative at times,jump to conclusions.Go Dees- Go Meeson & Newton. Hope you both succeed.

Edited by jayceebee31

So if a few of our key talls (not necessarily ruckmen) either back or forward got injured, we would be in a bit of "Barney rubble", one would think ?

I agree we've been far too slow. I think we'll improve in this area in 2010.

I don't agree that Jamar is the only competitive ruckman we have. Martin is coming along in leaps and bounds in that department and with his leap and mobility he is very competitive in the ruck. He may not be a 200cm plus giant but he showed us last year how far he has come in this role and he will continue to improve and be more than competitive in 2010.

I don't agree that Jamar is the only competitive ruckman we have. Martin is coming along in leaps and bounds in that department and with his leap and mobility he is very competitive in the ruck. He may not be a 200cm plus giant but he showed us last year how far he has come in this role and he will continue to improve and be more than competitive in 2010.

Martin may become a mobile ruckman- however feel the club may be grooming him for a tall forward position.

Martin may become a mobile ruckman- however feel the club may be grooming him for a tall forward position.

Gawn isn't a project player like Spencer at all.

It was interesting to read in the Herald Sun today that Geelong may look at a mature age rookie re this current draft-He confirmed the Cats were considering the possibility of adding VFL captain and best and fairest winner James Podsiadly to their list as a mature-age rookie at this month's draft.Maybe we should look at experienced quality footballers whom can balance our star youngsters in following drafts- especially when we have the money to spend- don't forget we were thinking about spending 500K A YEAR ON Ball .Your thoughts?

It was interesting to read in the Herald Sun today that Geelong may look at a mature age rookie re this current draft-He confirmed the Cats were considering the possibility of adding VFL captain and best and fairest winner James Podsiadly to their list as a mature-age rookie at this month's draft.Maybe we should look at experienced quality footballers whom can balance our star youngsters in following drafts- especially when we have the money to spend- don't forget we were thinking about spending 500K A YEAR ON Ball .Your thoughts?

Impossible, unless we renege on our public commitment to redraft both Newton and Meesen as rookies. If you're talking about the pre-season draft, we've already committed to Joel Macdonald from the Lions - who fits the bill as an experienced, reasonable quality footballer.

I can't see us doing a number on Meesen and Newton - Cameron Schwab has publicly declared that we will redraft them if available - so your suggestion is a moot point, regardless of how much money we've got to spend.

Edited by MikeyJ

Gawn isn't a project player like Spencer at all.

Injuries aside. GAWN is still a kid whose body is still developing and growing and he needs a couple of years development before he should be playing AFL.

Spencer is three years older and while still developing is going to be physically ready for AFL it at all around the same time.

GAWN might well be a better player than Spencer but time will tell.

Impossible, unless we renege on our public commitment to redraft both Newton and Meesen as rookies. If you're talking about the pre-season draft, we've already committed to Joel Macdonald from the Lions - who fits the bill as an experienced, reasonable quality footballer.

I can't see us doing a number on Meesen and Newton - Cameron Schwab has publicly declared that we will redraft them if available - so your suggestion is a moot point, regardless of how much money we've got to spend.

Agree with that.

So if a few of our key talls (not necessarily ruckmen) either back or forward got injured, we would be in a bit of "Barney rubble", one would think ?

That's my contention, absolutely.

I think we need almost all of them to come on as we hope, stay fit and stick with the Dees.

I agree we've been far too slow. I think we'll improve in this area in 2010.

I hope so.

The good thing is that just a few personnel changes can make a significant difference.

PS. Yes, I was talking about ruck quality (I gave a rundown on our talls in 'CHF's thread on Demonology).

Over the last 3 drafts MFC have gone for quality players that thankfully cover most of our needs- in particular weaknesses in kicking, Talls and mids. In discussing it further and from your responses- it seems we need to gain extra speed-Blease & Strauss have good speed whilst Watts & Fitzpatrick are the 2 quickest in the last 2 drafts, I believe.I think to cover the list & knowing we have Viney to come in & compliment the mids - I see we require a fast wing type, a covering versatile tall, maybe an existing player like Martin may be able to handle that, however, the most important is a quality maturing experienced tall- around the 23/25 age group-a Cameron Cloke, Chris Dawes,type whilst not over endowed with ability can come in throw their weight around ,look after the younger talls and crumbers and do a job similar to Leigh Brown has done for Collingwood this year. He has played back, forward, ruck and been very servicable- I think we could do with what Isuggested until our list matures further through development.A job that Miller or Newton should be able to do- however have failed us over the last 2 years. It is up to them - this is how I see it.

Edited by jayceebee31

however, the most important is a quality maturing experienced tall- around the 23/25 age group-a Cameron Cloke, Chris Dawes,type whilst not over endowed with ability can come in throw their weight around ,look after the younger talls and crumbers

"Quality Cameron Cloke type" is an oxymoron.

I think if anyone was a "quality maturing experienced tall around the 23-25 age group who whilst not over endowed with ability can come in, throw their weight around, and look after the younger talls" it would be Jamar.

"Quality Cameron Cloke type" is an oxymoron.

I think if anyone was a "quality maturing experienced tall around the 23-25 age group who whilst not over endowed with ability can come in, throw their weight around, and look after the younger talls" it would be Jamar.

Agree Maurie.