Meesen and Newton

Jurrah Coffee

Interesting article on the GC team below. It basically says they will be looking to draft delisted players and mature players with their 5 rookie selections. This certainly increases the chances of a Newton or Meesen getting picked up. Personally id say Newton is most likely for them.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gold...91130-k150.html

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article on the GC team below. It basically says they will be looking to draft delisted players and mature players with their 5 rookie selections. This certainly increases the chances of a Newton or Meesen getting picked up. Personally id say Newton is most likely for them.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gold...91130-k150.html

Here's a list of delisted players (including those drafted in the ND) who are available:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...61/default.aspx

Delisted players who have nominated for the 2009 NAB AFL Draft:

Luke Ablett (Sydney Swans), Jarryd Allen (St Kilda), Luke Ball (St Kilda), Jordan Bannister (Carlton), Adam Bentick (Carlton), Ryan Brabazon (Sydney Swans), Simon Buckley (Melbourne), Chris Bryan (Collingwood), Adam Campbell (Fremantle), Cameron Cloke (Carlton), Scott Clouston (Brisbane Lions), Eljay Connors (St Kilda), Mark Coughlan (Richmond), Jake Edwards (Carlton), Leigh Fisher (St Kilda), Andrew Foster (Fremantle), Greg Gallman (Adelaide), Jonathan Giles (Port Adelaide), Nick Gill (Adelaide), Scott Harding (Brisbane Lions), Daniel Harris (North Melbourne), Rhan Hooper (Brisbane Lions), Aaron Kite (Adelaide), Matthew Laidlaw (Sydney Swans), Nick Lower (Port Adelaide), Malcolm Lynch (Western Bulldogs), Dan McKenna (Geelong Cats), Jamie McNamara (West Coast), Matt Maguire (St Kilda), John Meesen (Melbourne), Michael Newton (Melbourne), Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (Richmond), Daniel O'Keefe (Sydney Swans), Guy O'Keefe (Western Bulldogs), Paul O'Shea (Western Bulldogs), Adam Pattison (Richmond), Kayne Pettifer (Richmond), Sam Power (North Melbourne), Dean Putt (Richmond), Matt Riggio (North Melbourne), Russell Robertson (Melbourne), Jason Roe (Brisbane Lions), Scott Simpson (Geelong Cats), Wayde Skipper (Western Bulldogs), Jesse Smith (North Melbourne), Danny Stanley (Collingwood), Kane Tenace (Geelong Cats), Mitchell Thorp (Hawthorn), Matthew Tyler (Brisbane Lions), Cameron Wight (Western Bulldogs), John Williams (Essendon), Michael Wundke (North Melbourne)

Luke Ablett would be a good one for GC17
Perhaps. Keyser as I posted earlier, I was actually alluding to that perhaps one of Meesen or Newton could be looked at by GC before our pick 6 in rookie draft. Because of the list available, no real other names jump out at me in terms of KPF or Ruck if that is what the GC are looking at with one or even two selections. The GC can take 2 mature age rookies & 3 players under 23.

Perhaps. Keyser as I posted earlier, I was actually alluding to that perhaps one of Meesen or Newton could be looked at by GC before our pick 6 in rookie draft. Because of the list available, no real other names jump out at me in terms of KPF or Ruck if that is what the GC are looking at with one or even two selections. The GC can take 2 mature age rookies & 3 players under 23.

Yeah, I get that... but I think for them Luke Ablett would be a decent pick up, so potentially, there is one of their 2 spots for mature age recruits already gone.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if one of Meesen or Newton gets taken, but until then I'm going to consider it very very unlikely and move on.

Not sure exactly who we'd be hoping to take in the event it does happen anyway.

Grimes would be nice but I expect him to go to Essendon in the PSD.

Patrick I'm still not sold on. I just don't know where he fits in an AFL side and I'm not convinced his freakish abilities are that freakish at AFL level.

Yeah, I get that... but I think for them Luke Ablett would be a decent pick up, so potentially, there is one of their 2 spots for mature age recruits already gone.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if one of Meesen or Newton gets taken, but until then I'm going to consider it very very unlikely and move on.

Not sure exactly who we'd be hoping to take in the event it does happen anyway.

Grimes would be nice but I expect him to go to Essendon in the PSD.

Patrick I'm still not sold on. I just don't know where he fits in an AFL side and I'm not convinced his freakish abilities are that freakish at AFL level.

Agree that someone like Ablett or Harris may appeal

But they will nedd at least one mature ruckman.

And Newton is younger than mature age so wouldn't take one of those slots.

It might seem like a missed opportunity to redraft Meesen and Newton when there are more appealing types left for the Rookie Draft... but as HT said, none of them are the type that we really need.

Whats the point in picking up a couple of extra list cloggers that have minimal chance of being in our best 22?

Yes, you can find gold like Davey or Aussie, but its a big risk and I'd not take it if it costs MFC their reputation for seeing out contracts and for fair & reliable business dealings.

These things mean a lot to players and their managers, and I'm already sick of the whingeing by posters that no big names spurning trades/PSD to MFC even though we are the wooden spooner.

Burning Meesen and Newton will ensure this continues to happen even if we become a top 4 side.

I'm sure that we will honour our commitment, as we did by re-drafing Hughes however, I would be very surprised if BP is not somewhat [censored] off that we can't have at least one selection in the rookie draft. Afterall if GC17 are going to take mainly re-cycled players, and with pick 6 I bet BP has some young kid in mind that he would love to draft that he thinks will make a greater impact than Meeson and Newton.

If he has a player in mind then I would seriously consider paying one of these players out with the proviso that he play at Casey all year and be re-rookie next year (if form is O/K and nobody else picks him up) as we did with Hughes. Let's face it, Meeson may or maynot play much footy next year with stress fractures anyway.

Next year CC said that we are likely to upgrade some of our rookies. We could probably afford to carry one of these players as a rookie in 2011 as we are likely to have a few spots available.

Think about it. Who would you rather be:

1. Newton- play as a rookie all year and receive his contract amount then be delisted at years end; or

2. Meeson - delist and pay-out. Play at Casey and receive contract amount and then be re-rookied with the chance of being put back on the main list.

Option 2 sounds pretty good to me. No loss of money next year and comes back to the club in 2011. Possibly upgraded in 2012 when GWS are raping the draft.

It can be done. WIN WIN

Let's do it.

Edited by Theo

Not sure why all the frustration is being directed at the slots occupied by Newton and Meeson.

To me Hughes - the oldest of the lot of them - is the main list clogger.

Take a look at Warnock, some players mature a bit later and Hughes has had injuries.

You're clearly off the pace - the FD rate Hughes or they wouldn't have re-contracted him.

His style of player has made an impact in recent times.

I would be very surprised if BP is not somewhat pissed off that we can't have at least one selection in the rookie draft.

I'm sure BP recognises that this was the necessary trade-off for having picks 34 and 50 available.

Is the MacDonald call a lock in?

I would assume that it is. The fact that he did not nominate for the ND eliminates any doubt; there's no way he would limit the possibilities of being drafted like that unless he had a concrete promise.

First I think Ablett is about 28 and if he is that is probably too old for their needs.

Second I wonder if there isn't a way to do some sort of deal here. For example we could agree that if they drafted a player or two that we wanted like D. Grimes and Daw/Temel/etc they could agree to swap him or them to us for a player next year.

Third we could ask them to consider taking Newton and Meesen. Given that they need some big bodies for their VFL side next year to help the youngsters and both may kick on and additionally we pay most of their salary, we could then agree in advance to a player swap next year. This would give both boys a chance in a developing team which is more than they might have on our rookie list.

Longshots I know but sometimes you have to think outside the square.

Edited by Redleg

Third we could ask them to consider taking Newton and Meesen. Given that they need some big bodies for their VFL side next year to help the youngsters and both may kick on and additionally we pay most of their salary, we could then agree in advance to a player swap next year. This would give both boys a chance in a developing team which is more than they might have on our rookie list.

Longshots I know but sometimes you have to think outside the square.

I like the idea to incentivate GC to pick them, I agree that it's most likely a win for Meesen and Newton.

While I think GC are flush for cash this may be our only offer.

What sort of player swap do you have in mind?

GC said in that same article that they're targeting 8 uncontracted players with their 16 options next year.

I think they'll be gunning for one of Blease, Frawley, Garland, Jones, Jurrah, Strauss, Warnock or Watts.

There's no way we'd want to entertain a deal with any of them.

Our Qld players Petterd, Miller, Spencer and Bail are all OOC next year but I doubt they'd use an option on any of them.

They could just get them to go into the draft and draft them if they want them.

It seems a high price to pay to pre deal a trade with them now just so we can rookie Grimes or Daw.

I like the idea to incentivate GC to pick them, I agree that it's most likely a win for Meesen and Newton.

While I think GC are flush for cash this may be our only offer.

What sort of player swap do you have in mind?

GC said in that same article that they're targeting 8 uncontracted players with their 16 options next year.

I think they'll be gunning for one of Blease, Frawley, Garland, Jones, Jurrah, Strauss, Warnock or Watts.

There's no way we'd want to entertain a deal with any of them.

Our Qld players Petterd, Miller, Spencer and Bail are all OOC next year but I doubt they'd use an option on any of them.

They could just get them to go into the draft and draft them if they want them.

It seems a high price to pay to pre deal a trade with them now just so we can rookie Grimes or Daw.

Aside from Jurrah the players you named are all Victorians and I would think not interested in leaving Victoria and Jurrah has a special relationship with us. We would be keen not to let any of them leave.

The four Queensland boys are in a different category and I would think we would be keen to retain Petterd and Spencer. Miller is the most experienced with a strong body and leadership qualities and may appeal to GC17 and Bail will be a 22-23 year old in 2010 and may have some appeal to them as well.

It should not be forgotten that there is a go home factor with some players and some players taken by a new club in Queensland that may struggle may want to return to Victoria.

That said we of course need to keep our interstaters that we want to retain, happy and contracted.

My idea might be pie in the sky but you don't get if you don't ask.

Take a look at Warnock, some players mature a bit later and Hughes has had injuries.

You're clearly off the pace - the FD rate Hughes or they wouldn't have re-contracted him.

His style of player has made an impact in recent times.

Warnock is 192cm and plays tall - Hughes is 186cm and tries to play tall .

The law of averages says the FD are going to get it wrong from time to time. Who would you rank below him?

They are most likely to take Cameron Cloke!

But I do hope they do surprise us and take Meesen! Very unlikely though.

Even if they took Cloke it moves Meesen up the pecking order for GC or first round rookie.

They seem to be trying to get in ahead of someone and that someone will make next best selection.

Edited by old55

As I've pointed out in other topics- Just read in the Herald Sun today- that Bomber Thompson is seriously thinking about a mature aged rookie.He confirmed the Cats were considering the possibility of adding VFL captain and best and fairest winner James Podsiadly to their list as a mature-age rookie at this month's draft.This maybe the way, we may have to balance our young list in future drafts, mature experienced players. We have the money to do so. And well under the Salary cap. Therefore, he must think their is or maybe a shortage of good talls. Therefore in keeping both of these as rookies is strategically brilliant in my opinion. In particular Newton - whom hopefully is a late developer. Actually in watching some replays lately his lack of confidence was a major factor, in particular his kicking.Maybe a good kicking coach could help

As I've pointed out in other topics- Just read in the Herald Sun today- that Bomber Thompson is seriously thinking about a mature aged rookie.He confirmed the Cats were considering the possibility of adding VFL captain and best and fairest winner James Podsiadly to their list as a mature-age rookie at this month's draft.This maybe the way, we may have to balance our young list in future drafts, mature experienced players. We have the money to do so. And well under the Salary cap. Therefore, he must think their is or maybe a shortage of good talls. Therefore in keeping both of these as rookies is strategically brilliant in my opinion. In particular Newton - whom hopefully is a late developer. Actually in watching some replays lately his lack of confidence was a major factor, in particular his kicking.Maybe a good kicking coach could help

This is brought up every few months.

The guy can't kick well for goal.

But he also can't:

Put in the work required in the gym.

Take a grab in a pack, unless on top of one.

Beat an opponent one-on-one.

Lead fast.

Track back on his opponent.

Make compotent decisions with the ball.

He has only learnt in the last 12 months:

Not to run his mouth off.

Chase and tackle when the ball is loose.

If we are to employ coaches specifically to improve the talents of Newton, we'd be broke. Get a goal kicking coach, but don't expect that to fix all the problems that encapsulate Michael Newton.