New training ground and base?

Guest Neitzblitz

A place to celebrate after a win, or comesurate a loss....

A place with the longest honours board in the AFL...

A place where a stranger to AFL, can learn about the oldest football club in the world...

A place where MFC really means something.....

We need a social club....A place where we belong.

The Lindsay Hassett room has been good but we do need something more offical.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has "Melbourne Heart" got anything to do with the new facilities at "BubbleDome" ?

Can't remember off the top of my head and I don't have the plans on me at the moment.

I don't think so specifically, but there are some non-specified or vague areas on there.

Its actually quite a large facility and I remember there is space set aside for a Union team and i think also for hockey.

With MFC's admin there we are certainly the major tenant.

We take up about a quarter of the space there. It will mostly be on the side facing Swan St

No room for Melbourne Heart, a rugby union team or a hockey team at MRS. That's not to say those teams won't play matches there, but in terms of additional team bases, she's too tight. There'll be some interesting negotiations over the next 2 years methinks.

Appreciate your help

Your proof that we have so many designated facilities has overome my scepticism ( You get that way as a Melbourne supporter!)

Sounds great

Hoopla, have you even been to the Casey ground and seen the facilities there?

Why are you being such a "septic"? MFC is on the way up and they may even get Luke Ball to play for them! You should lighten up and maybe look for a place on the Board.

No room for Melbourne Heart, a rugby union team or a hockey team at MRS. That's not to say those teams won't play matches there, but in terms of additional team bases, she's too tight. There'll be some interesting negotiations over the next 2 years methinks.

I have no doubt about that casey scorp. It will be regarded as most likely the best RS in Australia, even perhaps the Southern Hemisphere - including Suncorp, QLD.

Edited by High Tower

I have no doubt about that casey scorp. It will be regarded as most likely the best RS in Australia, even perhaps the Southern Hemisphere - including Suncorp, QLD.

and still shy of FIFA accreditation... some brilliant forward planning and know how there for sure :lol:

Hoopla, have you even been to the Casey ground and seen the facilities there?

Why are you being such a "septic"? MFC is on the way up and they may even get Luke Ball to play for them! You should lighten up and maybe look for a place on the Board.

Darren, I may be a sceptic - but I trust I am not septic

I have actually been to the Casey ground .... and I liked what I saw -except there was no a gym etc

Do you have any inside info on Luke Ball?

Darren, I may be a sceptic - but I trust I am not septic

I have actually been to the Casey ground .... and I liked what I saw -except there was no a gym etc

Do you have any inside info on Luke Ball?

No, not interested in Luke Ball like you are. The Red and Blue Foundation you seem to have taken over should invest in like a blood transfusion unit and a massive stapler/stiches machine if he comes to Melbourne given the amount of times he gets cut. Is it because of courage or because he is slow? I don't think he has the Kosi 'no pheriperal vision' but as a player he has no penetration and does not carry the ball in the way required by a modern midfielder. He cannot be a tagger nor kick goals so he gets by on reputation. His body is crocked and his biggest fan aside from you is Grant Thomas. For bang for buck Valenti was a better option cause he's much cheaper.

and still shy of FIFA accreditation... some brilliant forward planning and know how there for sure :lol:

Wasn't that our fault?

I've read a lot about this and if I remember correctly MFC were pushing for it to be built much earlier and it was pushed back and the design was altered because the Victory were threatening to pull out?

Because of a govt deal signed with Etihad, no stadium seating more than 30K could be built in melb before 2010.

Originally the stadium was to be a few thousand smaller, but slight alterations were made to the design and the finish date pushed back so that they could exceed this number (after Victory averaged crowds higher than expected)

Only minor alterations were made to the original design as from the ouset it was never intended to be a large-scale world-cup-requirement standard stadium (as, if it had been finished when originally intended, it could not exceed 30k capcity).

To change the capacity a bit any more than that would've required a re-design.

Sorry, I know I rambled a bit but I've not had much sleep.

That makes sense though, doesn't it?

IN hindsight...Im the first to concede Bubbledome was a total [censored] up for us...grabbing at straws really. Still it was reflective of the lay of the land back then but it has been shown how that could be changed.

Vic Gov should have always built it as a 40,000 stadium and just got on with it. As it is it wont be used til 2010 and they come up short..whether it was really our doing or not.

Seems strange that in this day and age there has been no contingency built in to it for extra seating.

The Gov does sign some strange deals doesnt it !! :rolleyes:

No, not interested in Luke Ball like you are. The Red and Blue Foundation you seem to have taken over should invest in like a blood transfusion unit and a massive stapler/stiches machine if he comes to Melbourne given the amount of times he gets cut. Is it because of courage or because he is slow? I don't think he has the Kosi 'no pheriperal vision' but as a player he has no penetration and does not carry the ball in the way required by a modern midfielder. He cannot be a tagger nor kick goals so he gets by on reputation. His body is crocked and his biggest fan aside from you is Grant Thomas. For bang for buck Valenti was a better option cause he's much cheaper.

Interesting perspective DC. But Ball has bled just as many times and had his head bandaged - as much as Brock did. It's Ball's willingness and thirst for contact and putting his head over the ball many times that has lead to these little injuries. Anyone who can do that and get his hands on the pill first for possession and advantage to his team is worth their weight in gold. It's courage.

Ball's work early in the GF, directly or indirectly correlated to alot of forward 50 entries into St.kilda's forward line. If they finished well enough they'd have their second Premiership.

I'm not a huge fan, but i can see how he would benefit the Mfc. There are numerous benefits too.

I'm not so sure you could get as much "bang for your buck" with Valenti as opposed to Ball. In fact I'm almost certain.

The Lindsay Hassett room has been good but we do need something more offical.

Lindsay Hassett Played Cricket so i fail to see the connection, But if this is the place to go after a match the MFC admin should tell its members exactly where it is & when it is open.

I am happy to open the wallet after a game & spend over the Bar if i know the money is going back to the MFC.

We need a room that shows the History & Future of this club. Makes supporters feel warm & Proud.

A day at the footy consists of THE MATCH & then i head over to the social club for a few, win lose or draw.

Back in the 70's & 80's as a kid i was taken to Carlton,Collingwood & Hawthorn Social Clubs at Different Times.

They used to pull a fortune over the Bar. They were Clubs. We have never had that

i hope it happens in 2010....

I'm very certain!

Let's see then, Valenti is a cheap VFL level player but he has fitness and although he is limited he is a good citizen that wins the good citizen trophies. Ball is an expensive and like Valenti now a one dimensional and limited midfielder who is on the decline. Also bringing him in will cause a shift in culture at MFC, potentially shafting the likes Moloney and Aaron Davey. Better to spread the money he gets to pay the young Demon players coming up when their market value increases and keep what you are building. If Luke Ball goes to Melbourne he doesn't want to be there and remember his greatest lover aside from you is Grant Thomas.

Let's see then, Valenti is a cheap VFL level player but he has fitness and although he is limited he is a good citizen that wins the good citizen trophies. Ball is an expensive and like Valenti now a one dimensional and limited midfielder who is on the decline. Also bringing him in will cause a shift in culture at MFC, potentially shafting the likes Moloney and Aaron Davey. Better to spread the money he gets to pay the young Demon players coming up when their market value increases and keep what you are building. If Luke Ball goes to Melbourne he doesn't want to be there and remember his greatest lover aside from you is Grant Thomas.

I only want Ball if he wants to come. If he nominates for the primary draft in the hope of going somewhere else, I wouldn't take him- though I might talk him up to try to persuade another club to use an early pick to get him.

Why are we talking about Luke Ball in the middle of an Olympic Park thread anyway?

Edited by hoopla

I only want Ball if he wants to come. If he nominates for the primary draft in the hope of going somewhere else, I wouldn't take him- though I might talk him up to try to persuade another club to use an early pick to get him.

Why are we talking about Luke Ball in the middle of an Olympic Park thread anyway?

It just happened that way I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

According to this story just published on the little papers website, Collingwood will have exclusive use of the old Olympic Park area when it gets redeveloped. Athletics Australia are getting shunted off there to a new complex in Albert Park. Co-incidentally, who is on the Athletics Australia Board, none other than an Edward McGuire. Hmm, something smells very fishy there!

So i assume that means we'd be training at Goschs Paddock?

Collingwood Get Exclusive Access to Olympic Park Redevelopement

Yep we get Goshes paddock, get onto the MOPT website and it has the plans for the oval that is currently being developed next to the Bubble dome. For the short term we will share that oval with the storm and victory, but as soon as the scum get there oval we will claim the oval they are currently training on.

• 2 weeks later...

*BUMP*

This was posted by Robbie87 on Demonology, after a most recent tour of the new site for the Mfc's offices & FD...: -

Fortunate enough to join a few notable Club contributors and current staff on a Club-guided tour and explanation of the new 'bee-hive' shared stadium facility in the Olympic Park precinct.

While well short of a fit out, the new facilities will be the much needed (!!) and anticipated (!!!!) quantum leap from the old (!!!!!!!!!!). Official completion is slated as April May 2010, but Club expects more likely June for the Football Department to move in.

Some highlights/specifics/confirmations as best I recall:

- we are the co-tenants with Storm and Victory, and from our point of view, this apparently will be very much our 'winter' base, with Casey our predominant 'summer' venue

- initially we will use (share) what is currently being called Gosch's Paddock 'One', the new oval currently being laid alongside Swan Street. This will be MCG-sized but multi-use, ie removable soccer, rugger, AFL goal posts etc.

- Club expects little problem in negotiation use with an estimated requirement of 6-8 hrs a week (plus still using Casey at times), and Victory being off-season to us

- eventually, when the Pies transfer to a redevelopment west of Lexus centre, the oval they currently use (the original Gosch's Paddock 'Two') will be ours more exclusively (although smaller than MCG size)

- Football Department only (General Admin will stay in MCG) will take up residence via street level entrance on the north west 'corner' of the stadium, closest by line of sight to the MCG.

- the 'admin' area (to the left viewed from Swan Street) is about 800m2 and consist of reception, coach and football staff offices, physio, multi purpose meeting rooms and plasmas etc, IT room etc., and includes: a 'Heritage Walk' honouring amongst other things Premierships (replicas trophies and flags as the MCC 'owns' all the originals), lists of players (to be added to annually), major contributors to the Club etc. Initial schematics suggest some use of polished timber, etched glass, mandatory red and blue 'v', old MFC logo etc. for a 'sophisticated' visual treatment (more so than the Lexus centre we all like to think!!!)

Player-specific facilities start comprise:

- the 'player' locker room area (to the right of admin) will include: new 'rugby' style open lockers (still with previous players listed, but also some narrative on the more notable ones), showers, toilets etc. There is a player lounge somewhere in the layout also (maybe in the admin area?).

- via a series of short walkway corridors-come-'tunnels' (bypassing Storm player area) our players will access a 1000sqm open space state-of-the-art gymnasium, including: sprung wooden floor section for beep tests, indoor drills etc., and $500,000-fully equipped gym. This is approximately 10 times the size of current Junction sweat shop, and basically faces out through a full glass wall to the east side of the Storm playing stadium. This facility will be shared between the three tenants - again no problem expected negotiating this.

- another corridor or tunnel takes us further south to the adjoining shared pool area (about 600m2 at a guess) featuring: a combined walking/deep swimming depth pool, group spa pool and 4 cold plunge baths, all again with glass wall to Storm stadium area

- via another short and low 'tunnel' (under the lower seating in the stand above) further to the south will be a 26 terminal and plasma equipped computer viewing room for individual and/or group analysis of player footage etc. Only concern here is anyone over 6 ft will need a crash helmet and might have to double over to avoid head injuries in the tunnel! Look out Max!!

- car park is a short walk on-site to behind Storm stadium, with additional spaces across Swan Street.

- in the foreseeable future, our players would be walking across from the 'G' after any games there, but the precinct masterplan includes extending a covered walkway all the way across from the current one to Swan Street, possibly right across into the 'bee hive'.

While yet to look anything like a completed project, it is still very impressive - and puts us at the top of the tree facilities-wise according to our guide Mat Green (impressive young man and encouragingly a longtime Demons fan). Apparently, not a match-stick of any of the furnishings or equipment from the Junction will be utilised - all brand spanking new!

Importantly, we have a long term arrangement, and (along with our co-tennants) have a right of 'veto' over any other tenancy applications. I believe there is also an exclusion on any other same code (AFL at least) club being allowed to join the facility.

This gives the Club a great deal of control and 'leverage' in regards to any future arrangements at the venue.

There seems to be a subtext here that suggests that given the right alternative or better opportunity and the appropriate and commensurate financial compensation, the Club would certainly consider moving from the 'bee hive'.

Think along the lines of another sporting club being desperate to join the facility, and MFC having the opportunity to consolidate our training and admin base into equivalent or better facilities at the MCG, or possible alternate stadiums at Docklands or as-yet-unnamed other sites.

It would seem we are open to these possibilities should the right and beneficial 'deal' present itself - a good piece of 'positioning' and long-term strategy it seems to me.

It almost seems surreal to see the bricks and mortar (or more correctly concrete) manifestation of something that been an awful long and troubled time coming - but it will be really something for our players and Club - practically, performance-wise and psychologically.

Well done to the administration and all involved! Another exciting element to add to 2010!!!!

Thanks Robbie87.

The Red & Blue Foundation was actually put in place by the previous committee so the club is aware of it. It is on the website. I have just been surprised that it hasn't been promoted more aggressively.

The only reason I can think of is that equipment is such a small part of the overall budget that a strong R&B Foundation campaign is not worth the effort.

That would surprise me given that we sell home games for amounts like to $200k -$300k

It also shows the supporters some imagination - which is good for the image.

If enough people respond positively to the R&B Foundation thread... the club will surely increase its profile

The real potential of the R&B foundation is to provide a vehicle for wealthy demon supporters, if they so wish, to have somewhere to leave a portion of their estate to the MFC when they die, tax effectively. As we continuously hear that melbourne has many wealthy supporters, in the long term this is probably one of the most effective ways of building a strong base for the club. It should be promoted as such to all supporters. I must say the promotions I have seen for this has not really reflected this, although I know as a marketing man from way back this is a difficult message to deliver in-offensively.