Give him the captaincy

Mondê

I hope I don't get attacked for this - but I don't reckon Beamer should have a had a crack at Brock. Brock's gone. Don't give him the satisfaction of knowing that we care enough to highlight his departure in a public forum.

Beamer has the passion to be key member of the leadership group - but has he got the judgment to represent the club as its captain ? Perhaps he has ... and perhaps he will develop it.

Flash's speech was gracious and sincere - and he is passionate about the MFC. He's got to be a strong contender..... and I wouldn't write off Greeny who is clearly a a good on-field general

I don't see what's wrong with it.

It showed solidarity. It pleased the supporters. It showed leadership.

It fortified a clear message to the player group.

Brock wouldn't be proud of walking out on his mates - hearing Beama say that would most likely make him feel like sh**, albeit momentarily.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of passion never hurts especially in this day and age of micro-managed, mind your P's and Q's responses. I actually saw it as more of a dig a Carlton than at Chook, CJ etc. To me he seemed to be saying that Carlton was the place for footballers that put themselves before the jumper, and I don't see it as a comment that was that far off the mark. Anyway I wouldn't expect any less from a bloke that bleeds red and blue.

Thats how I saw it.

Need blokes like beamer. Having been around footy clubs all my life passion is infectious and a key element of success.

Call it bleeding red and blue, passion for the club, willingness to die for the jumper....whatever. We need it.

A bit of passion never hurts especially in this day and age of micro-managed, mind your P's and Q's responses. I actually saw it as more of a dig a Carlton than at Chook, CJ etc. To me he seemed to be saying that Carlton was the place for footballers that put themselves before the jumper, and I don't see it as a comment that was that far off the mark. Anyway I wouldn't expect any less from a bloke that bleeds red and blue.

I'd certainly be far more comfortable about it if it was a dig at Carlton - as long as he doesn't get himself reported when we play them!

At the end of the day I guess I believe that Brock has always been about promoting Brock - and I don't like seeing him in the headlines.

The majority of supporters did seem to love it - so I'll just shut up!

I hope I don't get attacked for this - but I don't reckon Beamer should have a had a crack at Brock. Brock's gone. Don't give him the satisfaction of knowing that we care enough to highlight his departure in a public forum.

Beamer has the passion to be key member of the leadership group - but has he got the judgment to represent the club as its captain ? Perhaps he has ... and perhaps he will develop it.

Flash's speech was gracious and sincere - and he is passionate about the MFC. He's got to be a strong contender..... and I wouldn't write off Greeny who is clearly a a good on-field general

I see where you're coming from. I just hope Brent and the boys really stick it up Carltank next year.

I'd certainly be far more comfortable about it if it was a dig at Carlton - as long as he doesn't get himself reported when we play them!

At the end of the day I guess I believe that Brock has always been about promoting Brock - and I don't like seeing him in the headlines.

The majority of supporters did seem to love it - so I'll just shut up!

No, I'd agree with that to an extent. He may have been a leader, or at least, possess some leadership skills... but he seemed a bit of a lone wolf to me at times.

Just a feeling I got.

No, I'd agree with that to an extent. He may have been a leader, or at least, possess some leadership skills... but he seemed a bit of a lone wolf to me at times.

Just a feeling I got.

Me too Keyser. Dunno why, but I was never all that taken by Chook's leadership potential.

I was lucky to be in the rooms at the G before the Geelong game with my 13yo daughter. During the warm up Beamer had boxing gloves on and was smashing into some padding held by a trainer.

He then gathered the players into a group and led them in a rousing expletive driven loud rev up.My daughter looked at me in amazement and said "that guy is scary" Was by far the most animated player there.

Has leadership written all over him and would not be out of place as a Captain

Love you beamer good to see your luck has turned with injuries,

Touch wood all that kind of stuff, all the best next year i think he; really improve sticking to full pre seasons together,

My choice of captain.

I love Beamer's passion.

But the parochial bluster does not rate very highly in what we should look for from a captain. There are many players who are just as passionate about the team as he is, in fact most of them. Just because he expresses it in rev ups or at the B&F does not make him the best candidate for captain. Leadership group? Yes.

Though Beamer had a good year, to me he still only runs one way, and needs to add more strings to his bow. Even in 2009 he averaged a goal every 3 games, and the difference between good and bad games is too large.

I love Beamer's passion.

But the parochial bluster does not rate very highly in what we should look for from a captain. There are many players who are just as passionate about the team as he is, in fact most of them. Just because he expresses it in rev ups or at the B&F does not make him the best candidate for captain. Leadership group? Yes.

Though Beamer had a good year, to me he still only runs one way, and needs to add more strings to his bow. Even in 2009 he averaged a goal every 3 games, and the difference between good and bad games is too large.

Choko, I think that is an excellent summation of the situation regarding Beamer.

I don't see what's wrong with it.

It showed solidarity. It pleased the supporters. It showed leadership.

It fortified a clear message to the player group.

Brock wouldn't be proud of walking out on his mates - hearing Beama say that would most likely make him feel like sh**, albeit momentarily.

I Totally Agree. It just let's Brock know that next year in the Return match he is going to cop some good spirited stick, from the players & supporters.

Brock walked out of this mighty club, he was not pushed.

Ime Glad Beamer gave him some stick. I Hate Carlton.

But is Beamer Captain Material....Too Early to Tell. He Just Loves the MFC.

Edited by why you little

I like Moloney but .. his comments come across as hypocritical especially given the current time frame.

At least Melbourne were compensated decently for McLean .. meanwhile his very own club are trying to convince Luke Ball to ditch "the straight and narrow" with St. Kilda and jump ship to Melbourne for free.

Glass houses.

But boy .. I cant wait for the opening bounce: Melb vs. Carlton :)

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

Seems to me not alot of you posters have ever played a team sport and what is involved in being a captain

Beamer and Davey for that matter i dont rate as Captain material

I like Moloney but .. his comments come across as hypocritical especially given the current time frame.

At least Melbourne were compensated decently for McLean .. meanwhile his very own club are trying to convince Luke Ball to ditch "the straight and narrow" with St. Kilda and jump ship to Melbourne for free.

Glass houses.

But boy .. I cant wait for the opening bounce: Melb vs. Carlton :)

Ball is still contracted to the Saints so as yet i doubt we have done anything. It is not up to us to actuually do anything except show interest.

If St.Kilda & Collingwood could not agree to a trade i wouldn't be holding the MFC responsible..

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Glass houses.

Apples and oranges. As far as I know our interest in Ball began once trade week ended and the only way we will get him is if Ball and St Kilda cannot patch things up. St Kilda's not being compensated is between them, Collingwood and Ball, and has nothing to do with us.

Seems to me not alot of you posters have ever played a team sport and what is involved in being a captain

I think they both could be Captain. I would agree that there is a dearth of real leaders at the club, but I would say that one of those you mentioned will be tapped on the shoulder at the start of 2011.

They are leaders of men, in their own very distinct way. Choko has done a reasonable job describing Beamer's style (although completely misses the mark with his judgement of Beamer's very consistent season. But that is beside the point). Aaron is very much in the quiet, 'do as I do' model of leadership, that has served James McDonald very well.

Both would do a fine job.

Who do you rate as captain material, just out of interest?

Moloney's a fantastic club man and I thought it was great that he showed his passion at the B & F. I couldn't give a toss about Mclean anymore and I'd be happy to see Moloney standing over him with a snarl after putting him into the turf. However does this make Moloney Captain material, I don't think so. He's just not a talented enough footballer to lead what is fast turning into an extremely talented lineup. Remember the next Captain of this club will be expected to lead us to our first Premeirship in over 45 years.

Who do you rate as captain material, just out of interest?

At the present moment

None

Adequate

McDonald

Future

Too early to tell but Grimes seems likely

Problem is the void between now and then

Who knows what Trengrove will bring if we pick him up

Knowing a lot of Croweaters they have big wraps on his leadership qualities much like some Victorian insiders say about Grimes

Then who is it to be?

Grimes?

Watts?

Jones?

Morton?

Did I hear Sylvia?

I didn't?

Good. Stupid suggestion.

We have those two at the 26 year old mark, and our next leaders will 22 or younger in 2011.

You gotta pay someone, and someone's gotta be Captain. Two universal rules of AFL.

There are probably more but I can't be stuffed listing them.

We our currently suffering from a Leadership Void. Personally I'd like to see one of Grimes, Watts, Scully or Trengove as the next Captain, problem is none of them are over 19, one has an injury possibly clouding his future, one's only played 3 games and 2 aren't even on our list yet.:o Davey will go close if he takes another step forward this year. Who else is there?

In a few games I went to this season, I could actually hear Beamer shouting instructions and pumping up his troops, while the ball was in the center. I sit behind the Punt road end goals usually and I could actually hear him quite clearly in the West Coast and Freo games. He is such a good leader and good on him for getting stuck into McLean at the B&F.

It's going to be really interesting to see who takes over JMac. Davey or Moloney are the likely candidates. Or even Col Sylvia, if he can build on this year, has become somewhat of a leader in the way he's been addressing the media and admitting he's underperformed for too long. I'd expect him to be a part of the leadership group next year.

Hey mate i agree with you and not many will on that Col Sylvia if he has a good year could be a very good leader... i took my duaghter to the kids training at junction oval earlier this year and Col was a stand out (even though they are only kids) very good qualities which you don't get the chance too see often... Also can't see any reason Grimmes couldn't do the job if he steps up another level and matures as from reports he was an excellent leader and captain all through out his junior years.