Demons cut Valenti and Buckley

Brettmcg

I'd give McNamara the flick before Bartram.

I'm still holding out hope that Bartram can return to his 2006 form. Plus we need a run-with player who has some pace. I can understand though if we do get rid of Bartram because his disposal is barely AFL standard.

So for me it's out of McNamara or Cheney. A pity considering we still have a few list cloggers hanging around.

So... with a choice between:

A player where you know what you're going to get and you know its not good enough...

AND

A player who is very young and has barely shown what he can do or might be capable of in the future...

You would choose the first option???

And when you talk of Bartram's 2006 form, I believe he still maintains that. Its not like he had fantastic disposal then and it has eroded over time -- we just had a side good enough to hide his deficiencies for the time being

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when you talk of Bartram's 2006 form, I believe he still maintains that. Its not like he had fantastic disposal then and it has eroded over time -- we just had a side good enough to hide his deficiencies for the time being

Agree. Bartram is playing with the same ability he had in 2006, that's the problem, the game has evolved but he hasn't.

Edited by torpedo

So... with a choice between:

A player where you know what you're going to get and you know its not good enough...

AND

A player who is very young and has barely shown what he can do or might be capable of in the future...

You would choose the first option???

Spot on. Clint is never going to be a polished midfielder and he hasnt got the body to be a a workhorse.

^^

But who is going to play the role as tagger/run with role?

Bartram is one of our rare options to play a run with role. For example, I was watching the opening game V's North and he kept Harvey very quiet. We need players who can contain the opposition game winners.

Dunn has done this in the past. Jones had a crack on Ablett in round 16 but we need him to win the footy now that McLean is gone.

I'm not advocating keeping Bartram (as I think he has serious disposal issues) but I think he fills a need more than McNamara does at the moment.

^^

Bartram is one of our rare options to play a run with role. For example, I was watching the opening game V's North and he kept Harvey very quiet. We need players who can contain the opposition game winners.

Dunn has done this in the past. Jones had a crack on Ablett in round 16 but we need him to win the footy now that McLean is gone.

I'm not advocating keeping Bartram (as I think he has serious disposal issues) but I think he fills a need more than McNamara does at the moment.

Whichever one of our highly rated young midfielders fails to pan out, or takes some time to grasp the AFL game.

Taggers are a dime a dozen, just pick any kid with a big tank late in the draft.

Until we're contending we need to use every pick we can on REAL players.

And I'd happily keep a REAL tagger, like Ling or Clint Johnson who is damaging going back the other way.

Bartram is not this.

Edit: Bail possibly?

Edited by Keyser Söze

Taggers are a dime a dozen, just pick any kid with a big tank late in the draft.

And I'd happily keep a REAL tagger, like Ling or Clint Johnson who is damaging going back the other way.

Bartram is not this.

Completely agree with those points.

Whichever one of our highly rated young midfielders fails to pan out, or takes some time to grasp the AFL game.

Bartram is not this.

Spot on. You don't recruit a player JUST to be a tagger. Likewise you don't retain a tagger unless your window is likely to close in a couple of years and you need to hang on to mature players.

The club should be trying everything possible to make every midfielder drafted (or traded for) a star... if it doesn't pan out, then change your tactics. Give him run-with roles and you might find the player effects the outcome of games, acquires a few "bunnies," and may learn a thing or two about how to hurt teams by watching champions closely. If they can pick up 20 touches going the other way then yes, maybe you'll have a Ling type. The point is, though, that these players shouldn't be drafted with this in mind. It's a plan B.

^^

1. As the above few posts have said, it would be stupid to keep a player if their sole talent was to be a tagger.

2. Bruce could perform the tagging role if we had to. So could Dunn, and given that they're both contracted, Bartram shouldn't be getting a new contract.

3. McNamara's played 2 games. From what I saw of those 2 games, the kid can kick (and kick long) and mark. That'll do for now.

Miller has been given a one year contract. He fills a 3rd forward spot that is currently challenged by no one. His football skills are ordinary but leadership, character and his physical attack on the ball provide some options to MFC, some of which are in short supply in a young and inexpereienced list. Your outright condemnation of Miller is naive.

Miller has everyone at Melbourne fooled. What leadership does Miller have? He doesn't show it on the football field. His decision making and skill level are as poor as anyone's. He's also been on the list twice as long as Buckley. The only thing he has going for him is his physical attack on the ball but in most games he doesn't get near it to be physical. The more senior games he plays for us the further down we will slide. He destroyed Daniher's career and he will do the same to Bailey.

Miller has everyone at Melbourne fooled. What leadership does Miller have? He doesn't show it on the football field. His decision making and skill level are as poor as anyone's. He's also been on the list twice as long as Buckley. The only thing he has going for him is his physical attack on the ball but in most games he doesn't get near it to be physical. The more senior games he plays for us the further down we will slide. He destroyed Daniher's career and he will do the same to Bailey.

Yep, that's it - Miller has fooled the football dept, the players and numerous supporters.

It couldn't possibly be that you yourself are wrong.

Daniher destroyed his own career, or rather, his time at MFC was up.

If you are correct about Miller, then Daniher is guilty of being the one that kept him on the list.

Miller has everyone at Melbourne fooled. ...... He destroyed Daniher's career and he will do the same to Bailey.

Oh dear...We've got one here :wacko:

Thank God you picked it up. Ye gads it was staring us all in the face for all this time.

A revelation.

I'm still holding out hope that Bartram can return to his 2006 form.

I don't think that Bartram's form has dropped off from 2006, I think it's about the same.

The difference is, he is no longer a first year player, taken late in the draft who played every game in his first season. He is now a fourth year player who performed above expectations.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

I don't think that Bartram's form has dropped off from 2006, I think it's about the same.

The difference is, he is no longer a first year player, taken late in the draft who played every game in his first season. He is now a fourth year player who performed above expectations.

The only thing Bartram will be performing above expectations is being at Melbourne after 2010

I really dont think he is good enough

Yep, that's it - Miller has fooled the football dept, the players and numerous supporters.

It couldn't possibly be that you yourself are wrong.

Daniher destroyed his own career, or rather, his time at MFC was up.

If you are correct about Miller, then Daniher is guilty of being the one that kept him on the list.

Firstly I'll be wrong when he actually has a good season. Considering he's had 0 out of 8 good seasons I think I'm safe there.

Secondly you have no arguments with me about Daniher destroying his career anyone who keeps Miller on the list is destroying their career.

Bartram will stay on the list in 2010. He has had his injury and form problems like all players, that and he father passed away which is not an easy thing to deal with at any age.

We don't have players who can run with league stars at this point, and bartram is the #1 option for this role.

You all say taggers need to do more, Rawlings stayed on Norths list for the best part of a decade purely as a tagger. Until we can develop a player that can be damaging and tag, Bartram is the #1 guy at the club and will be on the list until someone else can take over.

Sure McNamara has only played 2 games, but this also tells you he hasn't been able to push for more than 2 games when we have been the worst side in the comp for the past 3 years. Bailey has given all kids a chance to blossom (just ask the vets who have been cut or forced to retire) yet here we are with McNamara with 2 games to his name. There are worse players on our list, but someone has to make room for a PSD pick (Ball??) or a budding pick #34 (Grimes??)

2 games does not warrant a spot, Bartram and Fetta stay, McNamara goes.

Oh dear...We've got one here :wacko:

Thank God you picked it up. Ye gads it was staring us all in the face for all this time.

A revelation.

Are you serious Rhino? You wanted him out as much as anyone now that that hasn't happened your suddenly sticking up for him calling him a great leader and all. Give me a break.

The only thing standing in the way of Miller getting the axe is a whole bunch of skinny forwards blocking exit door. If he kicks 30 goals I'll be happy. Jack is weighting in the wings.

Are you serious Rhino? You wanted him out as much as anyone now that that hasn't happened your suddenly sticking up for him calling him a great leader and all. Give me a break.

As I said in my post Miller is an ordinary footballer but the strengths I have listed is what has given him a 12 month breathing space.

And Stars, entertain me, which player is Miller playing the 3rd up forward keeping out of the side at the moment? His leadership, work ethic and physical attack on the ball are elements we lack in a young side.

I would not have cared too much if he wnet but I can understand why they have kept him on.

You may wish to try a little thinking before you post.

You linkage of Miller to Danihers and potentially Bailey's downfall is malicious, dishonest, disingeneous and plain wrong. I suggest you work hard on your content in future.

And Stars, entertain me, which player is Miller playing the 3rd up forward keeping out of the side at the moment? His leadership, work ethic and physical attack on the ball are elements we lack in a young side.

You may wish to try a little thinking before you post.

You linkage of Miller to Danihers and potentially Bailey's downfall is malicious, dishonest, disingeneous and plain wrong. I suggest you work hard on your content in future.

If he's picked in the side by rnd1 then I will tell you.

As usual I don't agree considering he is playing in arguably the most important position on the ground at CHF and is continually getting a game and continues to let the club down by not performing so I have no doubt that he is one of the reasons why we are last. I don't care what he does off the field but I can't see how anyone who continually fails on the field could possibly show leadership. Miller " Train hard Jack so you can become as good as me". That will definately motivate Watts.

As far as Miller goes IMO he has(as I've posted before)good leg speed,strong attack on the football,good work ethic,trains hard by all reports,tackles well,good motor,decent mark and is a good team man.I have no doubt he would be a good role model for the young players coming up with those qualities including and especially Jack Watts.

It was nowhere stated he is, or will ever be the complete footballer but I believe he brings a fair bit to the MFC.

It is of little importance to the whole scheme of things what I or "Brockstar" or anyone else think of Miller.The people that count (The MFC football dept) believe he brings something to the team.