Brisbane/Voss have to be kidding!!!

Dee1987

Honestly, they r an ageing list now just look at there over 28s, Fevola,Brown,Bradshaw,Johnstone,Charman,Buchanan,Power,Black. Aside from Rich, Merret, Sherman, Rischetelli and Clark, i dont think they will land another flag within the nxt 5 years? Who did they get in trade week?

Buchanan- Just a handy player

Raines- Injury prone, poor disposal

Fevola- Good on when song but will be 29 nxt year and carrys too much baggage

Staker- Just like Buchanan

Clarke- Soft and no 1 rates him

Plus they dont enter the draft until pick 27 and considering this years draft is shallow, they will get jack!!!

Thoughts??

theyre looking at next year as a real chance.. dont blame them either...will put a few dollars on them as top 4 at least.

Voss isn't stupid...i watched them beat the blues in the finals...they were def a bottom 8 side this year...but next year they could jump above pies...for 4th spot...so i'm tipping them to finish 4th next year.

...Black and Brown are on the out...they are champs...if u add Fev ,etc etc etc,,,they will be a fair chance to win the flag next year. pending injuries...

i would be putting money on them to win the flag too...but expect a massive clean out to happen in the near future...

Voss knows the Lions have a window to challenge for a flag while Brown, Black and Power are around.

They were not good enough in 2009 and would not be in 2010 with their 2009 line up.

Voss has rolled the dice. It could work or it might fail. But I admire him having a shot rather than sitting on his hands.

yep...hes rolled them for sure and time will tell us whether its box-cars or craps !! :lol:

People need to realise that you don't need a five year plan that revolves around draft picks to win a Premiership.

They also need to realise that once a player turns 28 he is no longer completely useless.

EDIT: I remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that the AFL seems to be the only competition in the world where winning a Premiership in five years time is more important than winning one now.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

People need to realise that you don't need a five year plan that revolves around draft picks to win a Premiership.

They also need to realise that once a player turns 28 he is no longer completely useless.

People also need to realise that the above is only true when your 28 year olds are the likes of Brown, Black, Power and Bradshaw, and not Robertson, White, Yze and Bizzell.

Voss still has 4 elite players that he can try and steal another premiership with. It's a really long shot, but whether or not he chose to bring in more youth this year is irrelevant, as either way the Lions will need to rebuild once their stars have left.

For as long as he has a big chunk of his premiership midfield and Jonathan Brown, Voss owes it to the team to try and win as many games as he can. The sort of mature quality he has to work with is seriously rare. Add Fevola to the mix and well... stranger things have happened. On paper, their team is better than Collingwood's, Essendon's and Carlton's. A top 4 position is definitely not out of the question for them in 2010.

Dogs, Saints and Magpies would be very worried.

Guest hangon007

Do the Demons have the same salary cap as the Lions? Have they always had the same salary cap restrictions?

Do the Demons draw their local sponsorship from a monopoly type scenario situation? ie if you want to sponsor a AFL team how many choices have you had in

Brisbane? (Which is about to massively alter)

Do the Demons and Lions have exactly the same list rules or does one have extra spots available?

Do the Demons get the "fixture" they want? Do the Lions?

The list goes on & on.

Edited by hangon007

You've answered your own question:

Honestly, they r an ageing list now just look at there over 28s, Fevola,Brown,Bradshaw,Johnstone,Charman,Buchanan,Power,Black

Where is their talent? It's in their older players, and thus they should go all-out now. Guys like Brown and Black don't come along every year.

Where is Melbourne's talent? It's in our youth. That's why we're not bringing in olds, and instead stocking up on more youth.

If I was a Brisbane supporter I would be stoked with there inclusions. Voss has done well and is a smart fella. I think the Lions will be very hard to beat next year. Fev is gold for them. He will kick 100 at the Gabba!

Fev FF, Brown CHF, Buchanon Forward Pocket, Raines HBF, Staker Back or Forward, Bradshaw CHB or Forward, Clarke possibly wing.

Fev and Bradshaw could line up as two full forwards with the likes of Brown, Rich, Black etc hitting them up all day long.

Brisbane will be scary next year!!! Top 4 side for sure.

still more likely to utilise Bradshaw now down back

Clarke- Soft and no 1 rates him

That might just be the most ridiculous comment made on this website in the last year*.

*Exceptions are those made by YM or Freak...

Voss knows the Lions have a window to challenge for a flag while Brown, Black and Power are around.

They were not good enough in 2009 and would not be in 2010 with their 2009 line up.

Voss has rolled the dice. It could work or it might fail. But I admire him having a shot rather than sitting on his hands.

Agree. They have 4 or 5 stars, as well as some good youth (Clark, Polkinghorne, Redden, Sheldon). They and Adelaide are the two interstate teams with chances next year, and probably the only 2 teams outside of Geelong, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs who can win it.

That might just be the most ridiculous comment made on this website in the last year*.

*Exceptions are those made by YM or Freak...

I'll take a stab and suggest that he probably meant the trade for Xavier Clark, rather than Mitch Clarke.

Don't really agree with that either, but it's a lot more understandable.

Yep.

Voss is Taking a Gamble, & i totally would do the same. Some of the 3peat dynasty are still there, so why would he not have a crack.

His 2010 Philosophy is similiar to Ross Lyon. All out Attack for the Grail.

EDIT: I remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that the AFL seems to be the only competition in the world where winning a Premiership in five years time is more important than winning one now.

I am so sick of the Term "5 year window" It's crap. Each Team & Era is different. The 5 year reference is used by journalists to cover their ass if they get things wrong.

Hawthorn proved in 2008 that flags can still be won with the right mindset & luck.

Those who believe in the "5 year before we..." will always find excuses for decades.

Just remember if the Demons string a few consecutive victories together next year those same journalists will call our players champions & our Coach a genius.

Nobody Rates us at this stage-Good. We will swim under the Radar again next year & win more games than expected i Believe.

Training starts this Monday while most other teams are still sunbaking.

Train Hard Demons & hopefully a few "experts" will be proved very wrong.

Edited by why you little

I'll take a stab and suggest that he probably meant the trade for Xavier Clark, rather than Mitch Clarke.

Don't really agree with that either, but it's a lot more understandable.

Uh oh...

Surely you're right Kit.

Apologies to deefella for lumping him in with YM and Freak. I agree that X. Clarke is soft. I really don't know what Brisbane sees in him.

Premiership revolve quality players..stars. Team success is driven by the quality of your top six. You dont have the stars you dont have the premiership.

Brisbane still have a backbone of key players that delivered them three in a row. Brown, Bradshaw, Black and Power. MFC have had none of that. Neither did Hawthorn.

I doubt they will cuz all those blokes i mentioned are at twilight of their careers, in the nxt 3 yrs most of their spine will be gone!

Blokes like Brown n Fevolas calibre are hard to find and take years to develop!! They will be lingering in the 8 but no cigar

There'll come a time soon when we are threatening for a flag and will need to supplement the list. I don't blame the Lions for having a crack like they are. I don't think it'll work, but you have to roll the dice with Brown, Black, Power and others in the side. When these players age and retire, THEN they'll look to rebuild. If they time it right it'll be juuuust after the GWS team raids the draft.

Give it 5 years and we'll likely be doing exactly the same thing. Try to win a flag for 5 years, then get rid of EVERYONE, bottoming out to end up with a premiership team again. Whatever enables us to avoid being 5-8 for 3 years again.