This would free 7 for the Fevola trade:

Fev to Sydney for 7

7 to Carlton for Fev

Nett:

WC +Davis+38-7

Collingwood +Jolly+Ball-Davis-14

Sydney +Fevola-Jolly-38

Carlton +7-Fevola

Sydney have 28 from the Buchanan deal so you can substitute that for 38 if you like.

[censored] could get done but clubs are focussed on trying to gain too much advantage rather than win-win

Id swap 11 for Ball. if fit, he could play 100 games for the club. Is a leader and hard at it. Straight swap for Brock, who left us remember. While 1 & 2 should be at least 150-250 game players. In my opinion 11 and 18 are much more speculative.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jurrah wasn't good enough for you?

Jurrah was not an "established player". We hit the jackpot with Liam, but it was a smokey risk that panned out. I am talking about someone you can slot in round one that can contribute from round 1, hence the use of the word "established".

Davis must be on thin ice. His reputation for melting in the big games that matter strikes me as potential exit for the Pies.

......and this particular trait must be so appealing to other clubs as well ;) !!!

I really doubt Ball will slip through the cracks to the PSD

Would be a quality player for us though and you cant have enough midfielders these days

Davis must be on thin ice. His reputation for melting in the big games that matter strikes me as potential exit for the Pies.

Sounds like a Fremantle option then

Ball would be a perfect replacement for Brock, maybe a better one.

Out: Mclean

In: Ball, Pick 11

Looks good to me.

Hope to god he slips through.

Also would be great to lure a good player to the club. Keeping Davey was important, of course we've got loads of kids w. potential but attracting an established top player would give us an image boost (not to mention an onfield advantage).

Good work Sweet dreams.

Ball would be a perfect replacement for Brock, maybe a better one.

Out: Mclean

In: Ball, Pick 11

Looks good to me.

Hope to god he slips through.

Definitely - an upgrade on Brock AND pick 11 to boot.

We can dream...

that is good news. glad we are pushing hard through the PSD

the 500K under the MINIMUM salary cap payments is an interesting one. that means that we at the moment are paying 500K + 7.25 % of the salary cap less than other clubs at full TPP. that'd be close to 700-800K. that is a lot of room to move

the problem if we dont get someone else is that then we start paying people like sylvia (i know he signed) more than they are worth...setting a dangerous precedent when watts, grimes etc etc etc come for contract renewal.

that is good news. glad we are pushing hard through the PSD

the 500K under the MINIMUM salary cap payments is an interesting one. that means that we at the moment are paying 500K + 7.25 % of the salary cap less than other clubs at full TPP. that'd be close to 700-800K. that is a lot of room to move

the problem if we dont get someone else is that then we start paying people like sylvia (i know he signed) more than they are worth...setting a dangerous precedent when watts, grimes etc etc etc come for contract renewal.

We could have a lot of players already on front-ended contracts giving us that cap space now so we can fit in a gun player come this trade week and this year's PSD...

A gun player like Luke Ball even.

Our football dept. does think ahead on the odd occasion.

It hinges on whether Ball can get to the Lexus centre. He won't be staying at the Saints according to the paper. Ball would take the PSD over the uncertainty of the ND if nothing's done by 2pm tomorrow. The current suggested trade is that The Dogs trade Everitt to the Saints, Ball to Collingwood and Pick 30 to the Dogs... The Bulldogs have of course stated that they're after a top 20 pick for Everitt. So the real winners in this deal are Collingwood, the Saints break even (a young player, but more importantly salary cap relief) and the Bulldogs get shafted. If we trade pick 18 for Everitt, both Collingwood and the Saints have to go back to doing a direct player swap, something they haven't managed to do so far. Still two days of trading left, but it's getting interesting.

I guess it comes down to whether the club rate Everitt as good enough to use pick 18 on it's own, and a question of timing, doing the deal at 1pm tomorrow is better than doing the deal at 1pm today.

The Age is saying Fraser is to be potentially traded by the Pies given they have Jolly to free up space to get Ball.

I agree with your assessment of the proposed 3 way trade between the Saints, Dogs and Pies. Rather ironic as I thought the Saints had learnt from their last experience with an Everitt on the list!

MFC could get both Ball and Everitt for pick 18. If they offer pick 18 for Everitt, then that would force the Saints and Pies to deal directly. Pies can offer pick 30 for Ball. Wont be enough. Saints dont want Fraser and he is worth more than Ball. We could force Ball to the PSD if we did the Everitt deal at the last moment and snooker the Pies and Saints.

The Age is saying Fraser is to be potentially traded by the Pies given they have Jolly to free up space to get Ball.

I agree with your assessment of the proposed 3 way trade between the Saints, Dogs and Pies. Rather ironic as I thought the Saints had learnt from their last experience with an Everitt on the list!

MFC could get both Ball and Everitt for pick 18. If they offer pick 18 for Everitt, then that would force the Saints and Pies to deal directly. Pies can offer pick 30 for Ball. Wont be enough. Saints dont want Fraser and he is worth more than Ball. We could force Ball to the PSD if we did the Everitt deal at the last moment and snooker the Pies and Saints.

Very tactical Rhino...and I like it

How good would it be to get Ball via the psd?

He is an upgraded version of McLean and we have an extra first round pick, this would be a major coup for this club

I guess I've followed Melbourne too long - it just sounds too good to be true!!

The other issue is that without Brock - we are struggling to reach the salary minimum. Ball would just be soaking up money we're going to have to spend anyway. We don't want to have to artificially increase the salary of our current list just to comply with the 92.5% minimum rule. All that will do is increase the long-term salary expectations of our youngsters.

It really would be a coup

It hinges on whether Ball can get to the Lexus centre. He won't be staying at the Saints according to the paper. Ball would take the PSD over the uncertainty of the ND if nothing's done by 2pm tomorrow. The current suggested trade is that The Dogs trade Everitt to the Saints, Ball to Collingwood and Pick 30 to the Dogs...

Instead of pick 30 to the Dogs, there is talk of Nathan Brown (Coll) to the dogs for this three way.

I guess it comes down to whether the club rate Everitt as good enough to use pick 18 on it's own, and a question of timing, doing the deal at 1pm tomorrow is better than doing the deal at 1pm today.

There is talk around that Richmond's pick 19 is on offer for someone.

Just thought I would add that.

i think it would be a great tonic for our club to secure a high profile player. i think it would represent a change in the way our club is going about things.

I think Luke Ball could offer some value to our club. his work ethic is great.

Was just trying to explain the situation to my sister who's first comment was 'Melbourne won't be able to get a good player over Collingwood'

Makes me want this to happen even more because in all honesty it never does for MFC.

I was thinking the same thing.

There are 13 other clubs that could potentially get in the way, so this would need be a Friday deal.

I'm still in 2 minds about Ball.On the one hand he's a tough in and under mid who could feed our outside receivers and provide us great leadership and experience but on the other hand when the footy is cleared he really struggles to get from contest to contest and his opponent exploits this and runs hard off him all day just like Brock.

If we took him as PSD1,it'd be a no-brainer but Rossy Lyon knows that if he doesn't do a deal with the Pies,he'll come to us for nothing so he'll go to the Pies.

I'm still in 2 minds about Ball.On the one hand he's a tough in and under mid who could feed our outside receivers and provide us great leadership and experience but on the other hand when the footy is cleared he really struggles to get from contest to contest and his opponent exploits this and runs hard off him all day just like Brock.

If we took him as PSD1,it'd be a no-brainer but Rossy Lyon knows that if he doesn't do a deal with the Pies,he'll come to us for nothing so he'll go to the Pies.

Im keen to get him even though i share your concerns about his limitaitons. Is it fair to say that Ball still has more pace than Brock even though hes lost his explosiveness somewhat?

Im keen to get him even though i share your concerns about his limitaitons. Is it fair to say that Ball still has more pace than Brock even though hes lost his explosiveness somewhat?

Id say Ball is better than Brock all over...

This being said, he won't be let go for nothing and will be at Collingwood. As much as that sucks.