How did you Spend Grand Final Day??

Sir Why You Little

I spent the Afternoon at the "Duck in" Hotel in Manila.

One eye on the T.V. Coverage & one eye on the Typhoon "Undoy" that was reaking havoc outside the door!

We were ok & the Power stayed on! so a bunch of Aussies & myself watched & Drank San Miguel Beers.

But that Typhoon was going Flat out the whole time that game was on.

Saturday 26th September 2009 i shall never forget, & i daresay my brother who is a one eyed Saint will also never forget it either for completely different reasons....

The Demons will win a Flag before the Saints do...My Bet lives on to fight another year.... :lol:

sounds fantastic. Mine was spent stuck with 10 girls who knew nothing about footy, with two sitting next to me spending the whole first half discussing how the dewey system works in libraries. Go geelong though.

FFS 10 girls on the couch!!!! I hope you scored more Goals than the Game!! What a classic!! :lol:

sounds fantastic. Mine was spent stuck with 10 girls who knew nothing about footy, with two sitting next to me spending the whole first half discussing how the dewey system works in libraries. Go geelong though.

HAHA that is golden!

I sat on my couch at home and watched it by myself and didn't have a drop of alcohol. First GF I've ever watched like that. I actually enjoyed watching it being completely sober, I haven't done that for a GF since 2001 when I was there. I am on a drinking ban ('til end of October, two whole weeks!) and I went to a concert that night and I had to drive. I knew that if I watched it with my mates I would have drunk so had to be responsible!

And then Glenelg went and lost in the prelim in the SANFL yesterday and I almost broke the drinking ban then too!

Flew down from Sydney on the Friday night and queued up at the G from 3.30am on Saturday to get seats before heading into Bridge Rd for some breakfast. Killed time until about 11am when it was time to crack the first beer of the day.

Three hours later, returned from the bar to seats and watched a cracking grand final. Laughed at Milne, cheered for Chappy's goal and thought Schneider had ample chances to win the game.

Celebrated with a Geelong mate immediately after the game, before heading to a pub in Hawthorn to finish consuming my bodyweight in beer. Pulled the pin at 10.30 when my eyes just wouldn't stay open for some strange reason... ;)

We spent the day in the Castlemaine Picture theatre where the have the game on and theres a bar inside the theatre. Crowd was half and half lot of ex melbourne residents going for Saints and country people, a lot of em support Geelong. Is been raining for a week up here, after 8 years of drought that was cheering a lot of people up. Saw all the saints players at the Prince of Wales in StKilda on sunday night, the barman told me..... "they drank 4000 bucks worth of alcohol in 2 hours and I only served em 5 beers...no wonder they lost!"

Queued up at MCG from 6 a.m. (alarm went off at 5 a.m.). Gates opened at 8 a.m. Got seats, then to Brunnettis in Carlton for breakfast, home by 10 a.m. Had a nice nap, then back to the ground by 2 p.m. Had a quick beer at the Bullring bar, then watched the fantastic match. Then went to friend's place for dinner, then home, then had to pick up 16 y.o. son, home by 2 a.m. Long, but fantastic day!! Might not have thought so if the match had been a fizzer.

Not as good as it sounds! Especially when their asking why the defender who picked up Milne's scrubber kick didn't kick it through for him. ergh.

Ahh one of those situations was it, how painful! Long day was it? :wub:

Flew down from Sydney on the Friday night and queued up at the G from 3.30am on Saturday to get seats...

Queued up at MCG from 6 a.m. (alarm went off at 5 a.m.). Gates opened at 8 a.m. Got seats...

MikeyJ & bingers I'm curious to know what sort of seats you got & what level getting there at those times with 2 Vic teams playing for once. Haven't bothered with the MCC walk-ups the last couple of years...

One eye on the T.V. Coverage & one eye on the Typhoon "Undoy" that was reaking havoc outside the door!

We were ok & the Power stayed on! so a bunch of Aussies & myself watched & Drank San Miguel Beers.

Saturday 26th September 2009 i shall never forget, & i daresay my brother who is a one eyed Saint will also never forget it either for completely different reasons....

The Demons will win a Flag before the Saints do...My Bet lives on to fight another year.... :lol:

I had a similar experience in 2008,WYL -although not as bad - in Makati. Managed to catch the Dees 51 point come from behind win against the Shockers.

It is always nice to clear customs at the Aquino Airport and get on that plane

MikeyJ & bingers I'm curious to know what sort of seats you got & what level getting there at those times with 2 Vic teams playing for once. Haven't bothered with the MCC walk-ups the last couple of years...

G'day torpedo - my group was a trio and we scored seats well undercover on level one, as close to the wing as we could possibly get (given the reserved seating occupied all the best seats on the centre wing).

We debated whether or not to head for level two and we probably could have gotten seats, but being undercover was a priority on Saturday!

If you were desperate to get seats on level 2 and needed to be certain of scoring good ones, you'd need to be there at least an hour earlier than we arrived.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Torpedo, I was on level 4, about half way back on the wing. Seats were fine. The entire front half of level 4 was reserved (via the ballet) and we were in the first row of the unreserved (walkup) seats. There were also seats available when we entered the ground on level 1, but level 2 seats went really quickly.

When I came back to the ground at 2 pm. there were no seats left, only standing.

I had a similar experience in 2008,WYL -although not as bad - in Makati. Managed to catch the Dees 51 point come from behind win against the Shockers.

It is always nice to clear customs at the Aquino Airport and get on that plane

How Right you are! That airport was jammed full of people on sunday night (as Flights from Saturday were cancelled).

It was getting tense in there, plus half the Ground staff were not on because they lost houses!!

When the plane finally thundered down that Black Runway i was stoked!! Never forget that weekend.

Watched the game in a pub in Seattle. I had to ask the bar staff to put the game on for me as nobody realised or cared that the GF was on.

Once the game was on, still nobody realised or cared that the GF was on.

The AFL's international department has a pile of work to do in raise AFL intrest in the USA.

I didn't have a classic setting in to relate like you. But the game, the spirit with which it was played (by the Saints as much as the Cats), the closeness, the hardness...

By far and away my favourite Grand Final experience ever. Really whetted my appetite to see the dees in one of these, even on the losing side. And the Cats got up... they're a team and list that are my favourite success story since I've been into footy. Perhaps second best team I've seen next to the Lions, but another GF and they'll knock them off!

Respect them as a club and list for the way they went about it on the weekend. A great example to be set for the kids in our side.