COACHING PANEL

jayceebee31

We have heard nothing regarding this topic in the press or on our website etc..

There has been talk that Fremantle are chasing West as a full time assistant- gee I hope he stays with us full time. Bret Ratten only stayed a year, but I think we have the makings of a great mid field but they really need a quality coach to help them reach it. Also, I think we need an outstanding forward coach or a partime one such as Wayne Carey. Also, a decent ruck coach,such as Paul Salmon whom is a personal friend of Bailley. Or someone like him should be requested to come in on a adhoc basis. I like the development coaches and feel Wellman is a great coach for our backline.It is a pity that Rawlings has gone to Brisbane or he would have made a good forward coach. Your opinions please .

Personally i'd like to see Todd Viney, as midfield coach for MFC. His had success at Hawthorn and Adelaide, this would be great for MFC.

Wayne Carey as partime forward coach, is a good idea. Any chance of getting him away from arden street?

Suggested Carey a while back. Reckon he could be very good.

When trying to recruit him, send Brad Miller and his missus along, we may be in with a shot then :D

Great suggestion-BALLS

Great suggestion-BALLS

Port have said Brendon Lade wants to go to VIC to coach & they know they cant keep him.Was a great Ruckman & also they say hes the brains behind Ports clearances,over the years they have had 1 of the best clearance rates & are ranked up there for goals kicked from throw ins,bounces etc.Would be a handy pick up for us i think & would be a good start.Played under Bailey so maybe that will help.Think he will go with Hardwick though

Port have said Brendon Lade wants to go to VIC to coach & they know they cant keep him.Was a great Ruckman & also they say hes the brains behind Ports clearances,over the years they have had 1 of the best clearance rates & are ranked up there for goals kicked from throw ins,bounces etc.Would be a handy pick up for us i think & would be a good start.Played under Bailey so maybe that will help.Think he will go with Hardwick though

He would be ideal -never thought of him. This is where this forum is great when people put there thoughts forward. Could also help out these young forwards as he was also good up front. I here Jimmy Stynes met the football dept tonight and I hear the coaching panel were discussed as well as list management.And don't forget these forums are read by Scwabbie etc..

There has been talk that Fremantle are chasing West as a full time assistant- gee I hope he stays with us full time. Bret Ratten only stayed a year, but I think we have the makings of a great mid field but they really need a quality coach to help them reach it. Also, I think we need an outstanding forward coach or a partime one such as Wayne Carey. Also, a decent ruck coach,such as Paul Salmon whom is a personal friend of Bailley. Or someone like him should be requested to come in on a adhoc basis. I like the development coaches and feel Wellman is a great coach for our backline.It is a pity that Rawlings has gone to Brisbane or he would have made a good forward coach. Your opinions please .

Scotty West was on MMM last friday night as part of the Bulldogs game build-up and he was asked about his current position. In the discussion, he did mention that a full-time job has been offered to him by Melbourne however he didn't indicate if he had accepted.

Viney or West (full-time) would be great.

I'd like to keep the same team coaching for club solidarity, but also to continue the steady message to our young players.

Often the lesser skilled players who do it tough getting to the top, have had to become far smarter than highly skilled stars. This IMO makes for the best coaching background.

Would not have a clue about assistants.

This is inner sanctum stuff that we would know sh!t-all about.

Williams isn't good enough. Why?

West should be fulltime, Williams should be out. Why?

Mahoney is not a good forward line coach. Why?

These stupid statements, and others, have been made all year.

But, by all means, speculate on Wayne effing Carey...

I mean, come on...

Would not have a clue about assistants.

This is inner sanctum stuff that we would know sh!t-all about.

Williams isn't good enough. Why?

West should be fulltime, Williams should be out. Why?

Mahoney is not a good forward line coach. Why?

These stupid statements, and others, have been made all year.

But, by all means, speculate on Wayne effing Carey...

I mean, come on...

I know! Its hilarious!

The best part is that so many are completely blind to their ignorance and the irony.

It never ceases to amaze and fascinate me.

Carey will not be coming to us for any position!

He was a great footballer but fails all other tests.

Get West tied up, lose Williams and then get the next best available on board.

We want good coaches, not great ex-footballers.

Not all ex players can make coaching a success.

Why?

Explain to me why the midfield line/development coach Mark Williams should be fired.

Edited by rpfc

Wayne Carey has one of the best football brains ever born. Pagan used him for his forward coaching at Carlton with Fevola, Collingwood used him before that. Even to have such an ex brilliant motivated player around young men such as Watts etc.. would be brilliant. With regards to his brain, the way he spoke on Footy Clsssified the other week was superb.Really together. If not, we should try to gain the Ox, David would also be brilliant. We need someone to assist us with our kicking-especially in front of goal. Williams- you thoughts intrigue me here. He is a ripper coach especially with young men. Highly respected and experienced. We may gain great young draftees but our need is coaching to bring out the best. And, by the way, how lucky are we to have Peter German at Casey. We may be gaining the stock but they have to produce- Don't they?

Edited by jayceebee31

Because his name is not as big as Scott West's and our midfield sucked this year, therefore it must be all the midfield coach's fault. Der.

You're right, Nasher.

I personally apologise to all who think with that unassailable logic.

They are truly giants among men.

If Carey is so good why aren't other teams lining up to sign him. Ask Geelong, ask St Kilda, ask Jimmy and co if they want him at Melbourne. What did Jimmy tell you re Carey? Who said he didn,t have a football brain? Read my post properly. He is just trouble with a capital T and our young players thankfully wont have to put up with his less than settled mindset. Get real!

Williams' coaching has taken our midfield backwards this season. Where did we improve here? Look at inside 50's look at contested posessions, look at targets hit, look at skill turnovers compared to even last year. He is employed and paid big bucks to develop the midfield and could you honestly say we saw any improvement from this group? Nice bloke but a top coach he aint. We wont win a lot of games if he continues with this responsibility.

You blokes that get on here and pot posters who have an opinion backed by fact, and then have a weak go at others should do a bit of homework.

Let me give you a bit of advice. Names mean NOTHING at AFL level these days! Performance means everything. Maybe you disagree with that, but most clubs have that philosophy nowadays. This is my opinion after talking to some of the people involved at this level - not just a guess.

Because his name is not as big as Scott West's and our midfield sucked this year, therefore it must be all the midfield coach's fault. Der.

Mark Williams was an excellent coach at Sandy. He carries out a lot of the training sessions pre-season and during the year. While he may not have a high profile he was offered a a similar position at Carlton but turned it down because he signed on with the dees only days before. His cousin told me that he is very loyal and although he played for Carlton he couldn't break a contract that he had agreed to.with us.

Williams' coaching has taken our midfield backwards this season. Where did we improve here? Look at inside 50's look at contested posessions, look at targets hit, look at skill turnovers compared to even last year. He is employed and paid big bucks to develop the midfield and could you honestly say we saw any improvement from this group? Nice bloke but a top coach he aint. We wont win a lot of games if he continues with this responsibility.

You blokes that get on here and pot posters who have an opinion backed by fact, and then have a weak go at others should do a bit of homework.

Let me give you a bit of advice. Names mean NOTHING at AFL level these days! Performance means everything. Maybe you disagree with that, but most clubs have that philosophy nowadays. This is my opinion after talking to some of the people involved at this level - not just a guess.

Is there a reason why with picks 1 and 2 this year we look like chasing midfielders? Hmmmm.

Any chance we have ordinary midfielder stocks?

Is there a reason why with picks 1 and 2 this year we look like chasing midfielders? Hmmmm.

Any chance we have ordinary midfielder stocks?

Maybe previous selections were not up to scratch- Maybe McLean has not lived up to his initial promise, maybe Sylvia hasn't either except for this year, where fitnesswise he improved dramatically. Maybe Bruce is on the way down. Maybe McDonald is virtually retiring. These are the reasons I pertain-why we need better players re the possible recruitment of midfielders for 1 & 2.If you remember we chased Prismall last year.So the club must have thought we had weakness there for a while. Also, if you like we picked up Strauss, Blease, Bennell, Jetta, Healey and McKenzie -all small players whom should be able to rotate in the centre somewhat. Therefore the club may not go for midfielders as 1&2. Food for thought anyhow.

Of course our midfielders have been ordinary this year. They are not exactly old or veteran players in the main. This backs up my point that we went backwards through the midfield with youngish players playing more and more games - why?

Usually most players improve and gain consistency with experience. Ours did not this year !!!!!!!!!

These players have ability but it didn't come out. Two choices here ,get rid of 'em or change the coaching method. Williams at best, has a good knowledge of football. He wont be an outstanding coach but might develop into a handy sidekick. He was left floundering this year along with a few players who need to have a good look at themselves.

We want success not just a promise of success. We've had the latter for years now. Get on with some coaching change and try something different or this time next year it will be as it is now.

Of course our midfielders have been ordinary this year. They are not exactly old or veteran players in the main. This backs up my point that we went backwards through the midfield with youngish players playing more and more games - why?

Usually most players improve and gain consistency with experience. Ours did not this year !!!!!!!!!

These players have ability but it didn't come out. Two choices here ,get rid of 'em or change the coaching method. Williams at best, has a good knowledge of football. He wont be an outstanding coach but might develop into a handy sidekick. He was left floundering this year along with a few players who need to have a good look at themselves.

We want success not just a promise of success. We've had the latter for years now. Get on with some coaching change and try something different or this time next year it will be as it is now.

Nah.

Get better players in the midfield and then see how we go at developing that area against other teams.

BTW, Davey, Moloney, Jones, Jetta, Petterd, Sylvia, Morton, Grimes, and Bennell either had good first up seasons rotating through the middle or had better seasons than previous years.

But Williams isn't a good coach because he has improved their performances but it hasn't led to wins?

Our players are either crap, young, or asked to do too much.

(Bolded that because we are about to enter 2010 with unrealistic expectations and patience is not only desired, it's required)