Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

I don't think bidding for Burgoyne is different to bidding sensibly in any other "auction". You have your financial limit over which you can't go, and you also should not bid any more than the market value. Otherwise you drop out of the auction and go and look elsewhere. It doesn't matter how over-inflated the seller's expectations are.

$750,000 for a $400-450,000 player is ridiculous. I'm sure Melbourne knows exactly what Burgoyne is worth to us, and won't pay more than it.

Wow, has my opinion changed in the last 24 hrs!

(Rhino, you were onto it earliest)

1st of all, Shaun can perse his lips up to my butthole and suck the contents straight out.

Money hungry fellow piglet C. Judd can do it, so can you Burgoyne.

The Dees better stand firm and play 2nd fiddle to NO-ONE. Tell him he's up himself and move on.

$750,000 a year for us, $600,000 for Hawthorn?? Pig.

If The Dees are going to deal with this pathetic mess him and his manager have created.. well.. it would just show why we are where we are!

The whole process wreaks of suspicion and would now be distancing myself as far away as possible from this dodgy deal / blind auction.

I Wouldn't even take him in the PSD for $100,000k a year..

I want J. Grimes type players at my club, not money hungry scum.. put it towards the debt demolition and concentrate on the kids..

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be so quick to believe everything you read..

Yeah, but the report on the process is spot on.

He takes offers from everywhere and then will go with the biggest.. thats playing for the dollar, something i personally despise.

You either want to play with your former coach and cuz at Mfc or Efc, or go with another former coach and co. at Hfc.. dont wait for the biggest offer and then go with that.. thats super-scummy

The fact is - he is using the Dees to entice Port to agree with his demands (or he'll nominate for the PSD - meaning Port gets nothing)

Soon as i heard of the BS auction they're trying to create, I would have made public for everyone involved that the Dees would not be taking SB now or in the PSD

People playing for the dollar well not help build the culture of the MFC.

Boo hoo.

A player wants more from us just because we have come last two years in a row...

It just doesn't make sense.

And Bruce is on $550k a year but Burgoyne is worth $400k.

And for him (sob) to ask (sob) for more than Bruce is just (sob) disrespectful.

I mean, you'd think he was a Premiership midfielder and an All-Australian.

And Pick 18 means a guaranteed star, and it's not like we have any talent from the pointy end of the draft. All we have from the top 15 is Jones, Watts, McLean, Bate, Frawley, Morton, Sylvia, Dunn, Grimes, Bell, Scully and Trengove.

And it's like he is auctioning himself off, he should just come to us through the PSD and say pretty things about the MFC or he should just retire from football gracefully.

I hope we told him that we would pay him more if he came via the PSD (i.e. 700K via the PSD or 600K if we have to compensate Port).

Good thinking. I'm sure Schwab would have hinted at that.

I hope we told him to get effed because no-one should (sob) be paid more (sob) than Cameron Bruce (wahhhhh).

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
And it's like he is auctioning himself off, he should just come to us through the PSD and say pretty things about the MFC or he should just retire from football gracefully.

Finally some sense around here. :lol:

Guest hangon007
Don't be so quick to believe everything you read...

I'm with you, some people just dont get the modern day game/business ... what more can you say.

Funny thing is if they were in his shoes, taking the emotion out of it ... they would do exactly the same.

All those infavour of SB not trying to get the best deal for himself should go to there boss right now and request a pay cut!!

Edited by hangon007

Boo hoo.

A player wants more from us just because we have come last two years in a row...

And Bruce is on $550k a year but Burgoyne is worth $400k.

And for him (sob) to ask (sob) for more than Bruce is just (sob) disrespectful.

I mean, you'd think he was a Premiership midfielder and an All-Australian.

And Pick 18 means a guaranteed star, and it's not like we have any talent from the pointy end of the draft. All we have from the top 15 is Jones, Watts, McLean, Bate, Frawley, Morton, Sylvia, Dunn, Grimes, Bell, Scully and Trengove.

PURE GOLD RPFC

Boo hoo.

You use sarcasm so often its become boring now..

So I'll use it to my advantage..

Yes, a player asking for more money because a team is at the bottom of the competition is dumb, glad you pointed it out.

ANYONE who would prefer a player that would grace us with his presence - for the right price,

over a player thats wants to be at the MFC..

Well, they should barrack for Carlton..

RPFC - Who even mentioned Bruces Contract?? Who said Burgoyne is worth $400,00 a year

(Ive only read $500k+ so far)

YOU brought it up cause you wanted to make a point to suit yourself..

(Btw- Id still have Cam Bruce at 27, before Id have S. Burgoyne at 27 - so imo the $$ issue, isnt one)

I'm with you, some people just dont get the modern day game/business ... what more can you say.

Modern business in AFL and player management evolves every year IMO. Every year player managers get "smarter" in how they do business. Players trying to get the best deal they can is nothing new but the ways they do it should at least be with a straight bat. If Burgoyne genuinely doesn't want to go to MFC then he shouldn't have approached us - period. I actually find it insulting that a player thinks he can dictate to a club his market price and then redefine it for another. Sure he can do it but if our club has any fabric of pride they will go and tell him to shove his 750k up his ass. The reality is that his management has been talking with HFC since June, Hawthorn is his preference and you don't walk out on a club in September unless you have some semblence of a done deal.

Funny thing is if they were in his shoes, taking the emotion out of it ... they would do exactly the same.

Really? Feel free to rattle off all the players who have stuffed around clubs to get their price up just to tell one of the clubs that they have to pay more for the privalege and where they arguably had no intention of going to the club - we didn't chase him, he nominated us remember. There is business and then there is exploitation of clubs, it might be a reality but it doesn't mean we bend over and go along with it.

All those infavour of SB not trying to get the best deal for himself should go to there boss right now and request a pay cut!!

Is there meant to be any meaning in this notion. I am sure 1000s and 1000s of Australians are under paid in what they do already, why would they ask for a pay cut - police, nursed, teachers etc. If we indulge Burgoyne in his excess premium which he has thrown at our club then we are mugs. Seriously some of the posters who are happy to pay him what ever it takes because of who we are make me sick. We don't need to bend over to buy stars, we'll create them instead. I can only laugh at these comments about who makes sense and who is jumping to conclusions - what a naive bunch of souls.

Also I have seen Cam Bruce's name pop up, WTF does he have to do with anything? A veteran of the club who has given great long term service. Yes, he's perhaps over paid for what we get but that is the legacy we have, it doesn't justify anything when we make future decisions.

Burgoyne wants to go to the Hawks and it is pretty obvious that has been the case since June. He wants to go ahead and play games in order to force Port's hand in to getting him over to the Hawks and many of you guys are just lapping all this up: but but, he's a star we need a star, he might still come our way, we have the money - FFS wake up people we are being used!

Modern business in AFL and player management evolves every year IMO. Every year player managers get "smarter" in how they do business. Players trying to get the best deal they can is nothing new but the ways they do it should at least be with a straight bat. If Burgoyne genuinely doesn't want to go to MFC then he shouldn't have approached us - period. I actually find it insulting that a player thinks he can dictate to a club his market price and then redefine it for another. Sure he can do it but if our club has any fabric of pride they will go and tell him to shove his 750k up his ass. The reality is that his management has been talking with HFC since June, Hawthorn is his preference and you don't walk out on a club in September unless you have some semblence of a done deal.

Burgoyne wants to go to the Hawks and it is pretty obvious that has been the case since June. He wants to go ahead and play games in order to force Port's hand in to getting him over to the Hawks and many of you guys are just lapping all this up: but but, he's a star we need a star, he might still come our way, we have the money - FFS wake up people we are being used!

I agree with you and said as much on Demonlogy, I think he has insulted our club and would have shown him the door. We have been insulted by several footballers over the last few years and it's about time we took a stand.

He wants to go to the Hawks, well they can have him.

Just another thing we have had a pretty ordinary record over the last few years with recycled players and it's not as if we are one player short of a flag is it?

Edited by RobbieF

Yeah, but the report on the process is spot on.

He takes offers from everywhere and then will go with the biggest.. thats playing for the dollar, something i personally despise.

You either want to play with your former coach and cuz at Mfc or Efc, or go with another former coach and co. at Hfc.. dont wait for the biggest offer and then go with that.. thats super-scummy

The fact is - he is using the Dees to entice Port to agree with his demands (or he'll nominate for the PSD - meaning Port gets nothing)

Soon as i heard of the BS auction they're trying to create, I would have made public for everyone involved that the Dees would not be taking SB now or in the PSD

People playing for the dollar well not help build the culture of the MFC.

There's nothing wrong with being suspicious about his motives, but its another thing to get all wound up and attack the guy.

Firstly, a lot of this is reported by journalists who often get the facts wrong and are not held accountable.

Secondly, it is completely unreasonable to expect a player to do anything but act in his best interests.

Thirdly, what exactly is wrong with sitting down with the teams you are interested in and sounding out what plans they have for the future and how they intend to incorporate you into their gamplan? You know, seeing as all the info he had on the club previous to this was informal and he'd not yet made the decision to come across.

I just think you're over-reacting to what is a fairly common and sensible process.

All the greediness, demands and subterfuge may be accurate, but they aren't confirmed and you shouldn't take them as such.

if i was applying for a job...and i had three choices or could ask to speak with many companies...i would review all options available and not just narrow my selection to the one, I thought i wanted. It's called being open minded.

it doesn't take a genius to workout that going to hawks is easiest option for him...it's pretty easy money for him...the list is far more developed than melbs...going to melb he's going to be playing with a lesser level/inexperienced players...so based on that theory he's going to be working harder for his money...so that's why he's asking for more money...i would be too...

if i was applying for a job...and i had three choices or could ask to speak with many companies...i would review all options available and not just narrow my selection to the one, I thought i wanted. It's called being open minded.

Actually, Burgoyne has 10 choices not 3. His prime motivation is "reportedly" to move to Victoria.

We are on his "shortlist" of 3 yet for some reason he wants to price us out of the market or at least completely bend us over, I find that curious tbh. He is supposedly keen to join us - but only if we pay 750k per year, go figure. Our PSD pick couldn't possibly have anything to do with us being part of the puzzle. :rolleyes: If the figures quoted in the media are correct then I find the whole thing on the nose, yes I understand that you don't beleive everything that you read but now and again you can join a few dots and it doesn't look on the level.

it doesn't take a genius to workout that going to hawks is easiest option for him...it's pretty easy money for him...the list is far more developed than melbs...going to melb he's going to be playing with a lesser level/inexperienced players...so based on that theory he's going to be working harder for his money...so that's why he's asking for more money...i would be too...

A tad melodramatic I think, Port hardly have the most experienced side. In fact poor old Kane Corns has done all the heavy lifting and has run himself into the ground over the years - Port are looking to ship him on. Either way, if Burgoyne thinks he would have his work cut out at Melbourne it doesn't justify the figure he has apparently asked for (IMHO) and it could be argued to be pretty contradictory to nominate a team as a preferred option then put such a huge barrier up for the club in question.

If he some how falls to the PSD then sure we snaffle him but I think 750k or even that ball park is way over the odds, the club will ultimately decide if it gets that far.

Quote from Mark Williams

"The team that gets him will be very, very lucky."

I wonder if he is referring to PSD 1? :P

Interesting that he virtually said the same thing that I did. If it was up to Mark Williams I'm sure he would do the same thing that he done with Stevens, unfortunately he doesn't seem to have total control these days.

Actually, Burgoyne has 10 choices not 3. His prime motivation is "reportedly" to move to Victoria.

you haven't read my original post properly...please re-read...it says....'if i was applying for a job...and i had three choices or could ask to speak with many companies...'

That covers your first argument....of 10 choices and only speaking with 3 clubs/shortlist as you put it...

personally i agree with you...Burgoyne can get stuffed and we will pay him what we want...he def needs to come via the PSD...why should melb bendover backwards to pay him 750 and give port our draft picks otherwise...

I agree with you and said as much on Demonlogy, I think he has insulted our club and would have shown him the door. We have been insulted by several footballers over the last few years and it's about time we took a stand.

He wants to go to the Hawks, well they can have him.

Just another thing we have had a pretty ordinary record over the last few years with recycled players and it's not as if we are one player short of a flag is it?

What the hell are you on about? He's insulted the club has he? Your joking aren't you? A footballer asking for a lot of money THE SHAME were not living in the 60's any more players don't exactly play for the jumper these days.

About time we took a stand? What stand did we take before? No quality has come to us from another club since Bizzell. We've had a poor record with trading cause we haven't gone for any stars. Pickett was virtually given away cause Port got Motlop a player that we should of chased harder and it's an absolute joke to even think that Burgoyne is a recycled player.

you haven't read my original post properly...please re-read...it says....'if i was applying for a job...and i had three choices or could ask to speak with many companies...'

That covers your first argument....of 10 choices and only speaking with 3 clubs/shortlist as you put it...

No point in arguing over semantics, if by "choices" you mean preferences then I see what you are saying. If by "choices" you mean options then I stand by my statement. In context of this scenario, he supposedly is in favour with MFC but his price tag makes it very hard for me to beleive.

What the hell are you on about? He's insulted the club has he? Your joking aren't you? A footballer asking for a lot of money THE SHAME were not living in the 60's any more players don't exactly play for the jumper these days.

About time we took a stand? What stand did we take before? No quality has come to us from another club since Bizzell. We've had a poor record with trading cause we haven't gone for any stars. Pickett was virtually given away cause Port got Motlop a player that we should of chased harder and it's an absolute joke to even think that Burgoyne is a recycled player.

Burgoyne has offered to play for Hawthorn and Essendon for $600k a season but wants $750k from us implying some sort of risk factor which I find insulting. If you don't find it insulting good for you but I find his attitude to the club to be disrespectful.

Ask yourself the question, why did he select us? Do you think it was because we have the first pick in the PSD? Do you think that by putting this premium on his head he was intent on pissing us off?

BTW I'm aware that it's no longer the 60's, if it was we would have been playing in Grand Finals.

Edited by RobbieF