Paul Wheatley seeking new Club in 2010

H_T

FULL STORY - melbournefc.com.au (Matt Burgan)

"I'm only 28, so whatever I'll be doing I'll be playing footy somewhere next year – at what level I don't know," Wheatley told melbournefc.com.au.

"I've still got the passion for the game and I'm the same age as 'Greeny' [brad Green] – we're both 28 – and six months ago I was feeling really good about myself and flying.

"Things can change pretty quickly and if another club is interested, I'll definitely put my hand up, because you don't want to die wondering and I still think I've got a fair bit to give."

Edited by High Tower

FULL STORY - melbournefc.com.au (Matt Burgan)

"I'm only 28, so whatever I'll be doing I'll be playing footy somewhere next year – at what level I don't know," Wheatley told melbournefc.com.au.

"I've still got the passion for the game and I'm the same age as 'Greeny' [brad Green] – we're both 28 – and six months ago I was feeling really good about myself and flying.

"Things can change pretty quickly and if another club is interested, I'll definitely put my hand up, because you don't want to die wondering and I still think I've got a fair bit to give."

I find this very depressing.

When it was announced that Wheatley was retiring there was so little fuss that I came to believe that Wheats had given up-perhaps because of some recurring soft tisssue injury. If that is not the case--and it had been my understanding that this year he's been hit by a number of different injuries rather than one recurring--then in my view his "retirement" is premature. He's only 28. Given a decent pre-season my view is that he would have been a certainty to be in the top 6 of Melbourn'e's B and F next year. He was 3rd last year wasn't he?

To all of you who are urging us to cull more and more experienced players, let me point out that sometime next year we'll have a large number of kids--players who haven't played 30 games--who'll be buggered. At such times a player such as Wheats, who can play a variety of positions, is invaluable.

How many new players are we planning to take onto the list? When combined with this year and last, I don't think that any more than another 4-5 are required/desirable. I feel differently about Matty Whelan--he's had too many injuries for too long. But I think the delisting of Wheatley is premature--he could have been a good finals player in 2011, then moved on, paving the way for someone who's had enough games to know what it's all about

When it was announced that Wheatley was retiring there was so little fuss that I came to believe that Wheats had given up-perhaps because of some recurring soft tisssue injury. If that is not the case--and it had been my understanding that this year he's been hit by a number of different injuries rather than one recurring--then in my view his "retirement" is premature. He's only 28. Given a decent pre-season my view is that he would have been a certainty to be in the top 6 of Melbourn'e's B and F next year. He was 3rd last year wasn't he?

To all of you who are urging us to cull more and more experienced players, let me point out that sometime next year we'll have a large number of kids--players who haven't played 30 games--who'll be buggered. At such times a player such as Wheats, who can play a variety of positions, is invaluable.

How many new players are we planning to take onto the list? When combined with this year and last, I don't think that any more than another 4-5 are required/desirable. I feel differently about Matty Whelan--he's had too many injuries for too long. But I think the delisting of Wheatley is premature--he could have been a good finals player in 2011, then moved on, paving the way for someone who's had enough games to know what it's all about

Sorry mate, Wheatley has never been up to scratch. Simply racking up a higher number of possies doesn't cut it.

Time to give up on this one and develop another better one.

I subscribe to the Hardwick school of Sentimentality in football

Its not about us. The Footy Dept have made that call. Have a chat with them. I agree with you about the young players. I dont think Wheatley will be challenging for a AFL spot next year. He really struggled this year with MFC and Casey.

Football is virtually a business these days. And in some ways sentimentality is out the door when it comes to list management. However, I'd like to still think there is still room for some sentiment in today's game. Such as Milestone celebrations, testimonials and recognition of players such as Wheels, Wheats & Robbo in send off games.

It's time for us to move Wheatley on.

Unless we were going to have trouble turning our list over by the required few in the next couple of years - we won't - this year's the year to cut players who aren't part of what we think will be our next successful period.

Players who are durable, still performing very well, are very important to the structure, and/or give you leadership are the types to keep.

I doubt other Clubs will be lining up for Wheats but he's an outside chance.

I've loved Wheatley as a player, and it's sad to see him leave the MFC, but he won't be getting picked up by another AFL club next year, and there will be better players than him in the same position from other clubs.

Sorry mate, Wheatley has never been up to scratch. Simply racking up a higher number of possies doesn't cut it.

Time to give up on this one and develop another better one.

If you look back Wheats had his best year in 2008. The reality is that this year he has had injuries and that situation is unlikely to reverse at 28 with 10 years of senior footy under his belt. Nothing to do with possies but they are moot points regarding developing others and senitimentality, i.e. the realties of proffessional sport.

If you look back Wheats had his best year in 2008. The reality is that this year he has had injuries and that situation is unlikely to reverse at 28 with 10 years of senior footy under his belt. Nothing to do with possies but they are moot points regarding developing others and senitimentality, i.e. the realties of proffessional sport.

You don't seem to get what i'm saying.

Nevermind.

Good player but compared to say Bruce & Green he has played about 70 fewer games due to injury. That's 3 full seasons he has missed and at 28 things are not going to get any better.

I don't disagree with a lot of what's been said in the last few posts. It's the footy dept who've made the call and I agree he won't be picked up at another club. I simply think he would have been good value for the next 2 years and I hope we play finals footy in that time.

In a sense, his predicament shows the problems with the current drafting. If, by Christmas, Wheatley's body is showing signs that he won't be up to it, then he should be let go and there should be another draft early in 2010 at which clubs can 'top up" for those who"ve by now fallen by the way-side

He'll be one extremely sought after suburban/amatuer/VFL footballer who'll probably get paid a packet to go to one of the local league clubs and have an influence there. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, at whatever level he's playing at.

He'll be one extremely sought after suburban/amatuer/VFL footballer who'll probably get paid a packet to go to one of the local league clubs and have an influence there. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, at whatever level he's playing at.

he could join 4 to 6 at balwyn.

I think wheatly knows his AFL career is over but plans to play next year.... I think the article was written poorly because I'm sure when he stated he would like to continuing playing football in a lower grade the question would of been asked "would you still play AFL" the obvious answer is yes but I don't think it means he wants it as bad as Robbo...

Totally agree!

i would rather finish in the bottom half of the 8 next year playing kids than finish in the bottom half of the 8 playing people like wheats etc.

Paul Wheatley will dominate suburban football next year with that Long Raking Kick, He will be well paid i am sure. He will always be welcomed back at Melbourne, but i think his AFL days are up.

Good luck Wheaters....Good man.

Had a good crack at the AFL but at 28 with quad and calf injuries somebody would have to be crazy to pick him up. Had a good 2008 but that wont cut it. Good luck Wheats and I hope you prove me wrong!

But I think you should retire from AFL and resist nominating for the draft. Dont go out the sameway as Yze and White. Thats a bit desperate! Have a crack a local league.