Dean Bailey

satspleavaime

thats a bit one dimensional. hell , depends on nature of wins, against whom, depends if were competitive with consistency, etc We may have only lost a few games by points etc etc. Too many variable to make such a call. Youd think 7 not enough but lets wait to se how things go.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
thats a bit one dimensional. hell , depends on nature of wins, against whom, depends if were competitive with consistency, etc We may have only lost a few games by points etc etc. Too many variable to make such a call. Youd think 7 not enough but lets wait to se how things go.
one dimensional is us losing every single week, if he wins 7games next year hes GONE, why do you think todd viney hasnt applied for these coaching positions, is your head that far in the sand, :lol: todd viney will coach the MFC in 2012.

one dimensional is us losing every single week, if he wins 7games next year hes GONE, why do you think todd viney hasnt applied for these coaching positions, is your head that far in the sand, :lol: todd viney will coach the MFC in 2012.

:blink:

if he wins 7 next year...and 7 the following year..Iwould agree hes gone..

If he wins 7 next year with some close games.and wins 11 + in 2011 then we're wellon the way.

Confucious say...better to have head in sand than up your arse !!!

so if he wins 7 next year fool, that means hes won 14 out of 66 games grandpa, now think about it you silly old fool.

you realy are an idiot if you cant see nor understand progression.

4 this year , 7 next, 11 year after..etc..

This past two years hasnt been about winning games... or has that point eluded you ? So it hardly makes sense to include that in any case to dismiss.

I think everyone can see who the fool is...

you realy are an idiot if you cant see nor understand progression.

4 this year , 7 next, 11 year after..etc..

This past two years hasnt been about winning games... or has that point eluded you ? So it hardly makes sense to include that in any case to dismiss.

I think everyone can see who the fool is...

Belz, please, don't encourage the poor boy, just put him on your ignore list like sensible people do.

In the famous words of Yoda - "I sense much anger in him"

I think you mean "Much anger I sense in him"

He's also a lousy speller, but I think that's more my issue than his :lol:

Another year is prudent and clever.It provides him with breathing space and us ( MFC ) with some accountability .............win/win

I reckon the word Jimma would use is STABILITY.

That is what he is trying to bring to the club and that is what he would see an extension for DB bringing.

It means he can get on with the job next year free of distractions about 2011.

That said, I don't see the need for it, but it's interesting given the rumours that G Lyon was falling off DB's bandwagon after our slump around round 14 that he apparently has the board's confidence to continue.

Stability is certainly a word that sfits with it, for sure .

I dont think Gaz could really complain, DB had/has a job to do. Its not one any of us would envy 'walking a fine line " between experimenting and that other word !! lol

GL would be very up to speed on the value of the up and coming kids we already have, and the ones about to lob :D

Theres nearly a whole handful of all but forgottens still waiting to roar. We havent seen Blease, Strauss, still much more to come from Wonna, Watts, Grimes, Cheney, Bail etc.. addd to this teh likes of Scully and Trengove and really theres a whole different nature to a side yet to do battle. It'll be this kind of side that ought to take strides next year. Im sure Bailey is just champing at the bit to really let loose with a real team with real instructions and no limitations.

It wont happen overnight.. and I think a 2 year stint without constraints ought to see whether we're contenders or pretenders !!

7 from 44. (15.9%)

I'm assuming their the win/loss ratio stats for Deans first 2 seasons. I'd say they are exceptionally good stats for our medium & long term future.

Well done to Dean Bailey for having the intestinal fortitude & sturdy vertebrae to withstand the short sighted hecklers off to the sidelines.

:blink:

if he wins 7 next year...and 7 the following year..Iwould agree hes gone..

If he wins 7 next year with some close games.and wins 11 + in 2011 then we're wellon the way.

Confucious say...better to have head in sand than up your arse !!!

Hah, confuscious was one wise dude. :D

I'd expect the pass mark to be around :-

2010 - (6-9) wins

2011 - (10-13) wins

2012 - (13-15) wins

Saints21192076

Cats21174068

Magpies21156060

Bulldogs21147056

Blues21138052

Crows21138052

Lions21128150

Bombers21911138

-----------------

Hawks21912036

Power21912036

Swans21813032

Eagles21714028

Kangaroos21614126

Dockers21615024

Tigers21515122

Demons21417016

1 will do for now... then we can revisit this say mid 2011

At 1 and 11, the season is stil alive and mathematically the finals are still possible. Even more so at 2-10, 3-9, 4-8.

So what if you're not going to renew his contract at the end of Rd 12 and the season is still alive? Do you sack him and derail the year completely?

Fact is you cant keep your head in the sand until then. The call will have to made earlier on the extension. If you are still tossing up at QBW whether to extend his contract then you should sack him because a Coach should have the complete support of the Board.

rpfc's post is on the money here.

No once again RR you completely miss my point.

It is time this club got Tough rather than being the "nice guys" of the comp.

Bailey has done a great job so far- but what happens from now on is how he will be judged.

I would give him incentives for success & asses that Situation Mid season next year. The Fixture taken into account.

Another Long Preseason waits-The Boys will work hard-i expect some results.

We are not a creche, We are the oldest Football club on the planet, 'Bout time we showed it. Bring on 2010

Bailey has done a great job so far- but what happens from now on is how he will be judged.

I would give him incentives for success & asses that Situation Mid season next year. The Fixture taken into account.

We are not a creche, We are the oldest Football club on the planet, 'Bout time we showed it. Bring on 2010

Death by a 1000 cliches. :rolleyes:

Yes lets get tough and screw over the coach. That sets a good standard ra ra rah.

If you cant see the incentive Bailey is working with to develop a team by sacrificing victories now then you are never going to see it

So what if there are injuries also? And at the mid point and Bailey is meeting your criteria, how many years would you give him? Remember, he is doing well and if your offer is low he will walk away and then you will look really stupid. There is no gurarantee that what you will see mid year will be indicative of what you might get longer term. If we are doing well next year, he or his manager will have you over a barrel and rightly so for a longer term and more money as well.

I suggest the extension of one year on existing terms (given he has not yet proved himself) gives you the best of both worlds. If you cant get your mind around that then you should be prepared to sack Bailey now. Chances are you'll wont be certain mid year and if you are you will be paying for a longer contract at higher dollars.

Its a two way street negotiation for a coaching role. Just dont be the one naive bending over the barrel on terms set by the other party saying "Yes Please".

To me this sounds as misguided an attempt to be tough as beating up a disabled kid.

You're fooling no one but yourself and it only serves to your detriment.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face maybe?

I'm not sure we're seen as the 'nice guys' of the competition anyway and by making smart off-field decisions I wouldn't have thought it would enhance or detract from that image in any way.

Death by a 1000 cliches. :rolleyes:

Yes lets get tough and screw over the coach. That sets a good standard ra ra rah.

If you cant see the incentive Bailey is working with to develop a team by sacrificing victories now then you are never going to see it

So what if there are injuries also? And at the mid point and Bailey is meeting your criteria, how many years would you give him? Remember, he is doing well and if your offer is low he will walk away and then you will look really stupid. There is no gurarantee that what you will see mid year will be indicative of what you might get longer term. If we are doing well next year, he or his manager will have you over a barrel and rightly so for a longer term and more money as well.

I suggest the extension of one year on existing terms (given he has not yet proved himself) gives you the best of both worlds. If you cant get your mind around that then you should be prepared to sack Bailey now. Chances are you'll wont be certain mid year and if you are you will be paying for a longer contract at higher dollars.

Its a two way street negotiation for a coaching role. Just dont be the one naive bending over the barrel on terms set by the other party saying "Yes Please".

You Guys!!! I have Supported Bailey all along and will continue to do so.

But the coaching he will be judged on will start after next weekend-Fact.

And yes the Football public out there does not rate this club at present

Only winning will repair that. I'm sure Bails knows this.

To me this sounds as misguided an attempt to be tough as beating up a disabled kid.

You're fooling no one but yourself and it only serves to your detriment.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face maybe?

I'm not sure we're seen as the 'nice guys' of the competition anyway and by making smart off-field decisions I wouldn't have thought it would enhance or detract from that image in any way.

Enforcer i am actually a disabled person so i doubt i was trying to sound Tough.

After 3 years of being under the Radar, next year the media will be waiting for us. (3 years of high draft picks is all the latitude journalists will extend to us)

All i am saying is that we now see Bails coaching a "real" football team, next year & beyond.

We are yet to really see what he can do on match Day when the heat is on.

I would be reviewing the situation at the Half way point of next year-my opinion

You say that the media will be waiting for us. With Bailey on the final year of his contract they'll be like rabid dogs looking for blood. The last thing we want is for Bailey to feel like he's under pressure to get instant results and to start coaching selfishly for his own survival. So far he's been happy to play for the club's long term interests because he feels he has the security to do so.

If we give a contract extension then the media will go looking for someone else and Bailey can continue to coach in the long term interests of the club.

You say that the media will be waiting for us. With Bailey on the final year of his contract they'll be like rabid dogs looking for blood. The last thing we want is for Bailey to feel like he's under pressure to get instant results and to start coaching selfishly for his own survival. So far he's been happy to play for the club's long term interests because he feels he has the security to do so.

If we give a contract extension then the media will go looking for someone else and Bailey can continue to coach in the long term interests of the club.

If Bailey looks for wins next year it will be far from selfish on his behalf.

I spent 10 years working in a TV Newsroom & i can assure you if The Demons do not show ladder improvement next year, the papers particularly will begin to cane us, & not stop.

Bailey has been great, but he has to keep succeeding.

FWIW i think we will start winning. Bailey i see as a long term coach.

If the media knows that, with an extra year on Bailey's contract, there is no what known that Melbourne would sack Bailey then they will not bother to come after Melbourne. They will be looking for stories and the Bailey story would be a guaranteed dead end for them. They'd just go after the next coach. Look at this year - firstly it was Wallace and then once he was sacked they moved straight to Laidley and then onto Malthouse and Williams. Meanwhile an extension to the underperforming Worsfold has seen him fly completely under the radar.

Coaching to win next year could well be very selfish. What if Bailey, knowing that he had to win games next year or face the sack, traded out pick 1, pick 2 or both for some star players who were 27 or 28 years older. Would we win more games if we traded pick 1 and 2 for Adam Goodes and Chad Cornes? Yes we would, but it would be counterproductive in our quest for a premiership because Goodes and Cornes would be finished by the time we'd make our flag tilt.

It's an extreme example, but it's the sort of thing that has happened in the past - look at Richmond only taking 4 players in the drafts last year of which one was Hislop and one was Cousins!

But the coaching he will be judged on will start after next weekend-Fact.

And yes the Football public out there does not rate this club at present

Only winning will repair that. I'm sure Bails knows this.

No The coaching he is actually being judged on has been happening for two years already.

And Fact - You with 10 years experience in the News room should know better than to label something as "Fact" when it is not.

And who gives a rats clacker what the "Football public" thinks. And for that matter I care even less for comfirming how little they know.

If Bailey looks for wins next year it will be far from selfish on his behalf.

Bailey has been great, but he has to keep succeeding.

This sides progress to a successful team wont be as quick as a 2 minute cup a soup!

Bailey will have less experienced team next year and will be blooding at least 6 future stars next year that have either not played AFL or played precious little. I want him to develop them as footballers not chew them through for cheap victories.

He does need to show improvement next year in the players but some of that will not be readily apparent on the scoreboard. This is still a very green team with little experience at the top.

I think Bob and I have been around the block a few times to know how the media (mis) behaves. Its not an exclusive the the media room old boys club.

Bob has nailed the issue well

FWIW i think we will start winning. Bailey i see as a long term coach.

Good. Well back him on terms the Club will at least have some negotiating leverage. And also do it in good faith given the sh!t Bailey has had to deal with off the field and the dedication he has put into a long term plan.

If you dont act on this belief then his manager will hold you over a barrel. And dont the media love a footy dept that sits on its hands while Rome burns!

If the media knows that, with an extra year on Bailey's contract, there is no what known that Melbourne would sack Bailey then they will not bother to come after Melbourne. They will be looking for stories and the Bailey story would be a guaranteed dead end for them. They'd just go after the next coach. Look at this year - firstly it was Wallace and then once he was sacked they moved straight to Laidley and then onto Malthouse and Williams. Meanwhile an extension to the underperforming Worsfold has seen him fly completely under the radar.

Coaching to win next year could well be very selfish. What if Bailey, knowing that he had to win games next year or face the sack, traded out pick 1, pick 2 or both for some star players who were 27 or 28 years older. Would we win more games if we traded pick 1 and 2 for Adam Goodes and Chad Cornes? Yes we would, but it would be counterproductive in our quest for a premiership because Goodes and Cornes would be finished by the time we'd make our flag tilt.

It's an extreme example, but it's the sort of thing that has happened in the past - look at Richmond only taking 4 players in the drafts last year of which one was Hislop and one was Cousins!

Who said anything about Trading Picks for old Hack Quick Fixes?? Don't put that label on me.

Dean is too smart for that. At Present we really only know him as a teacher, & a dam good one.

I am now interested to see how he performs on match day against good Teams.

I don't expect to win the Flag next year, but i would be aiming to get close to position 8.