Rumour around the Traps:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly we disagree. In fact Rivers isn't in my preferred team for 2012. He's just not quick or athletic enough. Yes, he reads the play well, but I prefer Warnock on the bigger bodied forwards, Garland who's fast and can play tall and small, plus the 195cm Frawley. There's backup with Martin and MacNamara if need be and I have the strong marking Green on one flank and the laser like kick Strauss on the other. Bennell takes a small.

Very happy to move Rivers on for a quality draft pick. Unfortunately his currency in the market may not be great despite his somewhat injury free year.

He's a good player, but I'm far from wedded to him. You're a fan - fair enough.

Fair enough, I can see your reasoning in that regard, as you said we just disagree on the issue. One things for certain it will be interesting to see just how active we are come trade week?

Boak is a very good player.

But I still haven't opened my Blease present from last christmas and this chrissy I'm promised two very good mids.

Rivers is tradeable, there aren't many who are not...

But Scully, Blease and Trengove/Morabito change the landscape a bit.

Blease is the forgotten man, but I saw a little bit of him last year and he reminded me so much of Boomer Harvey...

We'll see...

Thats what I saw as well.

Edited by dee-luded

Rivers has great courage equal to Green.

He probably has the best hands of any Melbourne player in a marking contest.

He reads the play exceptionally well.

But hey, lets get rid of him for a kid in the draft who may turn out to be ordinary or Travis Boak who is certainly no star.

Rivers has great courage equal to Green.

He probably has the best hands of any Melbourne player in a marking contest.

He reads the play exceptionally well.

But hey, lets get rid of him for a kid in the draft who may turn out to be ordinary or Travis Boak who is certainly no star.

I know many will feel this way i.e. youre mad to offer Jared up etc. I for one dont think Jared has quite recaptured his edge. He's a yard slower these days and a little prone to allowing the niggle to get inteh way of his othewise deep bag of skills. Im still not convinced we will get any more uninterupted seasons from him. Injury seems his curse.

As such he is a risk of sorts and I think his best days are unfortunately behind him,many may argue against..somewill agree.... so if Im going to risk..I'll take that risk with more upside and thats what Boak would offer

I know many will feel this way i.e. youre mad to offer Jared up etc. I for one dont think Jared has quite recaptured his edge. He's a yard slower these days and a little prone to allowing the niggle to get inteh way of his othewise deep bag of skills. Im still not convinced we will get any more uninterupted seasons from him. Injury seems his curse.

As such he is a risk of sorts and I think his best days are unfortunately behind him,many may argue against..somewill agree.... so if Im going to risk..I'll take that risk with more upside and thats what Boak would offer

I went to a MGC breakfast not so long back and they said that Brock had an interrupted preseason and hadn’t been able to do any sprint work and as Riv had the same problem (interrupted preseason) you would have to assume that he was similarly disadvantaged. Next year he will have the benefit of a full preseason and we will in all probability see a much fitter player and the lost yard returned.

Have you ever considered that the frustration of not being fully fit and having to miss so much football may be the cause of his bad temper? Some forget just how good this guy is.

I went to a MGC breakfast not so long back and they said that Brock had an interrupted preseason and hadn't been able to do any sprint work and as Riv had the same problem (interrupted preseason) you would have to assume that he was similarly disadvantaged. Next year he will have the benefit of a full preseason and we will in all probability see a much fitter player and the lost yard returned.

Have you ever considered that the frustration of not being fully fit and having to miss so much football may be the cause of his bad temper? Some forget just how good this guy is.

I saw this on his face a number of times.. especialy when he was in Zebby gear, he didnt like it. A fit and more together Rivers is anextremely handy bloke.......havent seen him for years...much the shame :( just have a gut feeling I wont see that previous calibre return. We need to be ruthless at this juncture.

Some forget just how good this guy is.

Not at all, but some realise that he gets burnt on the lead due to a lack of pace, some realise that he can't play on smalls, some realise that he's not the right matchup for the big forwards and some realise that we have players to cover his absence in Warnock, Garland, Frawley, Martin and possibly MacNamara.

Any club would do Rivers > Boak in a heartbeat, but as Dr Jekyl asserts, we'd be laughed out the door.

I think what hasnt done Riv any great good is that in his absence others have shown a bit, and possibly in a more balanced way. In short ..unfortuantely for Jared...is hes now replacable !! Hannibal is spot on.... Rivers is good, very good, but has his drawbacks..re matchups...and dont forget that dark shadow of injury.

Jones and Bell for Boak, thanks.

That has a ring of reality to it. Or Jones and pick 33. (Or is that pick 34? The PP seems to throw the numbers out.)

Melbourne WILL shop Jones around.

When you balance trade-value vs. in/dispensability, Jones is our player with the highest currency.

Also, Melbourne would be mad not to shop Rivers around. If we traded him for a reasonable pick or a good young player we would be ahead in the deal.

That has a ring of reality to it. Or Jones and pick 33. (Or is that pick 34? The PP seems to throw the numbers out.)

Melbourne WILL shop Jones around.

When you balance trade-value vs. in/dispensability, Jones is our player with the highest currency.

Also, Melbourne would be mad not to shop Rivers around. If we traded him for a reasonable pick or a good young player we would be ahead in the deal.

Melbourne will be mad not to shop around period. Were at the starting line in a fashion but the kit isnt inthe best shape possible. More will come onboard and others need to be allowed to go elsewhere. The gameboard has changed a little since some can to teh club and a few square pegs/4round holes have developed. This needs to be rectified and no time is better than now.This will I think be quite a different sort of trade week as some teams need toping up, others need youth but cant get enough picks and others just have too many of one type...all this needs to balance out. We are not that different. We WILL trade... or rue not doing so when the iron was hot !!

Boak has had a very impressive year:

Boak is becoming a very good player, has shown why he was Pick 5 this year. Would anyone take Boak + Pick 8/9 (Port's 1st) for Pick 2? That would give them home grown Trengove and we'd get a ready made gun onballer from Victoria.

Big question on how good Pick 9 might be? Ziebell was Pick 9 last year, would happily take Ziebell/Boak for Trengove.

PSD pick is gold. Gee we better get beat this week.....I hate saying that.

I don't understand why there are so many ppl on here that so against getting Trengove he is playing 1s in the SANFL which is what Salopek was and should be doing so i wouldn't bother getting him and asking to to get boak and pick 9 for pick 2. I think Port would jump at that knowing that if will be hard to get a really good kid at 9.

The only thing i think we are missing is someone like Roughead, Kosi or Tippet but i dont think we could get any of them with pick 18 and a player. Picks 1 & 2 should go to getting the best 2 kids.

Just wondering where do ppl think Scully and Trengove whould have gone in last years draft with how they have gone this year?

Just wondering where do ppl think Scully and Trengove whould have gone in last years draft with how they have gone this year?

Hard to say - I would've thought Scully about 3-5 and Trengove 6-12

Edited by Enforcer25

Not at all, but some realise that he gets burnt on the lead due to a lack of pace, some realise that he can't play on smalls, some realise that he's not the right matchup for the big forwards and some realise that we have players to cover his absence in Warnock, Garland, Frawley, Martin and possibly MacNamara.

Any club would do Rivers > Boak in a heartbeat, but as Dr Jekyl asserts, we'd be laughed out the door.

Matrtin has a long way to go, he loses him man in the backline Tippett left him for dead a couple of times and is all at sea in the forward line. He may develop in to a very good player but he has a long way to go before he does and has been among the weakest of the Dees players over the last few weeks.

Garland has had a very serious injury and there is no guarantee that he will come back as good as he was. I certainly hope he does because he has that closing speed all good backmen must have and certainly knows how to play.

Riv will benefit from a full pre season and if he can do the sprint work his pace should pick up.

Hard to say - I would've thought Scully about 3-5 and Trengove 6-12

Those at the club can't split Judd and Scully at the same age. We would have had a very difficult decision to make 12 months ago, and thankfully, we don't have to make that decision. Scully would have gone 2, and Trengove is a harder assessment but may have been after Hill.

Hypotheticals bore me.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I don't get why so many people are keen to trade Rivers. For the first time in a very long time we look like having the makings of an "A" grade backline (which, fwiw, I think makes premiership teams) and people want to trade key components. I think Rivers is at about 80% at the moment and should be a much better player after a full pre-season. If we are going to trade for a mid then the bait should come from there. ie a good mid and a pick for a better pick.

I don't get why so many people are keen to trade Rivers. For the first time in a very long time we look like having the makings of an "A" grade backline (which, fwiw, I think makes premiership teams) and people want to trade key components. I think Rivers is at about 80% at the moment and should be a much better player after a full pre-season. If we are going to trade for a mid then the bait should come from there. ie a good mid and a pick for a better pick.

spot on R of the A, if teams struggle to score against you it makes it hard for them to kick a winning score

spot on R of the A, if teams struggle to score against you it makes it hard for them to kick a winning score

and a lot of scoring is generated from rebound footy.

If people are taking proposed trades on Rivers then that would indicate that they don't believe he is a key component and/or is surplus to needs. Also, if we are looking to add strength to mids/backs etc, why would we trade away one in the process? Sure you can 'win' a trade doing that, but usually by a lot less than you otherwise would have.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
If people are taking proposed trades on Rivers then that would indicate that they don't believe he is a key component and/or is surplus to needs. Also, if we are looking to add strength to mids/backs etc, why would we trade away one in the process? Sure you can 'win' a trade doing that, but usually by a lot less than you otherwise would have.

I would have to agree to disagree with them. I rate Rivers very highly. As to why you would trade a mid for a mid. If we did get Boak along with Scully and possibly Trengrove, and then Blease comes good we would have more mids than we could play. So why would you keep a mid playing at Casey and lose a walk up starter defender.

Disclaimer: I know little or nothing about this Boak fella as I have little interest in Port games so I really have no idea how he plays.

Jones and Bell for Boak, thanks.

Hi all - first post here. The story on Travis Boak is a good one - I've watched him since he was running around the Torquay footy oval as a prep with AusKick - was always a standout ! He was definitely a Carlton supporter. His dad passed away a few years ago and was a Torquay Football Club legend - having the clubrooms named in his honour. He'd definitely be an acquisition for MFC.

As for me ...... well my grandfather played a handfull of games back in the 20's - made more of a mark at the club by becoming a founder / treasurer / life member of the former players association.

Go Dees

Hi all - first post here. The story on Travis Boak is a good one - I've watched him since he was running around the Torquay footy oval as a prep with AusKick - was always a standout ! He was definitely a Carlton supporter. His dad passed away a few years ago and was a Torquay Football Club legend - having the clubrooms named in his honour. He'd definitely be an acquisition for MFC.

As for me ...... well my grandfather played a handfull of games back in the 20's - made more of a mark at the club by becoming a founder / treasurer / life member of the former players association.

Go Dees

Welcome to Demonland!

Just heard a rumor from a reliable source saying Yarran has walked out on Carlton. Being kept hush hush apparently. Looks like that might be a trade for them to West Coast or Fremantle. Both of whom I know aren't fans of trading with Carlton! hehe..... The blues have copped what they deserve if you ask me!