Karmichael Hunt

Mousey

I am after an answer to this question myself.

GC can recruit him because he hasn't been a registered AFL player for 3 years and this rule is used in relation to recruiting players from overseas i.e Ireland,Fiji etc. All 16 clubs have the same right.

He's only 22 and was playing AFL schoolboy footy just 6 years ago,so he knows all the rules and how to kick,handpass,mark etc.

He's very quick and his upper body is pure muscle a la Sonny Bill.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you are overestimating the differences in athletic demands between each sport or underestimating the demands of NRL on the human body.

I suggest you try to run full-bore at a pack of people after 80 minutes of running full-bore at packs of people and you will realise that Hunt is an athlete.

All he has to do is remember how to kick and gain some peripheral awareness. Shouldn't be too difficult, he can throw a decent pass to blokes he barely sees.

He'll do alright.

I think your right, although the thing I think will slow him down initially will be the bigger playing surface.

I think it'llo be like the boxer shedding weight to reach the weight limit thats below his best range, he'll lose wight & some condition with the extra running & endurance training.

But he'll still have his aggression & confidance that is established as a bonafide elite sportsman.

GC can recruit him because he hasn't been a registered AFL player for 3 years and this rule is used in relation to recruiting players from overseas i.e Ireland,Fiji etc. All 16 clubs have the same right.

He's only 22 and was playing AFL schoolboy footy just 6 years ago,so he knows all the rules and how to kick,handpass,mark etc.

He's very quick and his upper body is pure muscle a la Sonny Bill.

But wouldn't that apply to 17 year olds entering the draft because THEY haven't been on a list in 3 years either? Or is there an age minimum?

I believe you though. I guess it'd be exactly the same as when Sydney got Mike Pyke.

• 10 months later...

Interesting start to his Aussie rules career!

Decent tackle rewarded, shot at goal on the full, gifted a goal a couple of minutes later, pushed after he kicked it for a (ridiculous) double goal. All in the first 6 minutes! Both goals from 4 metres out.

there is potential right there. first game not expecting much. as the commentators hav been saying will need to slim down a bit. boy he can tackle tho!

my cousin tommy nicholls is playin for coasters too number 22 :)

When I turned it on at quarter time and they said he had 2 goals already, I was taken aback.

Then I saw the replays. The first was a freebie running into an open goal, handpass over the top. Then he was pushed late and got gifted a second goal from the goalsquare. Less than 10 metres away both times.

After that I didn't see him get another possession or take a mark or really do anything other than tackle or crash into other players. So he's a while off yet.

And might have pulled his hamstring too.

Guest Cougar Magic

No, just watching it on T.V. but his tackling is going to be a real weapon, and once he gets his kicking right he is going to be a good player.

Dunno about his chances. He's got to take at least 4 inches off those thighs! And what was he doing with the ball when he had that set shot in the first quarter, that went out of bounds on the full? Looked like he was changing his grip as he ran in.

It's an interesting argument about the fitness of AFL verses NRL players. We tend to think AFL guys are fitter because of all the running (esp off the ball). However in the 90's there was a fitness competition b/w athletes from different sports. It wasn't like that mixed sport event that Billy Slater wins. It was simply a test of strength and aerobic capacity. AFL was represented by the former Blues player - Andrew McKay. The event was won by a NSW NRL player named Brett Rodwell. This doesn't mean that NRL players are fitter on average than AFL players, but a very fit guy in NRL should be able to reach the required level for AFL without too much difficulty.

There is one guy currently playing NRL who could have been a star in Aussie Rules. - Darryn Lockyer for the Broncos. Fast - fearless and a terrific left foot kick. Sadly he's the wrong side of 30.

Dunno about his chances. He's got to take at least 4 inches off those thighs! And what was he doing with the ball when he had that set shot in the first quarter, that went out of bounds on the full? Looked like he was changing his grip as he ran in.

It's an interesting argument about the fitness of AFL verses NRL players. We tend to think AFL guys are fitter because of all the running (esp off the ball). However in the 90's there was a fitness competition b/w athletes from different sports. It wasn't like that mixed sport event that Billy Slater wins. It was simply a test of strength and aerobic capacity. AFL was represented by the former Blues player - Andrew McKay. The event was won by a NSW NRL player named Brett Rodwell. This doesn't mean that NRL players are fitter on average than AFL players, but a very fit guy in NRL should be able to reach the required level for AFL without too much difficulty.

There is one guy currently playing NRL who could have been a star in Aussie Rules. - Darryn Lockyer for the Broncos. Fast - fearless and a terrific left foot kick. Sadly he's the wrong side of 30.

An assumption based on ignorance of the biggest differences between the 2 codes

Athletic Endurance

360 degree vision

Different skillset with hands and feet

Both Gridiron and Rugby League players would find it extremely difficult to change to AFL

Not saying it cant be done but this whole exercise is based on MARKETING the CODE

These Media fools trying to suggest Jim Stynes did it are not comparing apples with apples

as at least the irish game has far more similarities than any other football code on the planet

What Stynes did was amazing as we all know but his brother Bryan didnt make the grade shows you it isnt easy

I bet Kaka or Wayne Rooney wouldnt make it either not that they would want to drop 40 million to find out

An assumption based on ignorance of the biggest differences between the 2 codes

Athletic Endurance

360 degree vision

Different skillset with hands and feet

Both Gridiron and Rugby League players would find it extremely difficult to change to AFL

Not saying it can't be done but this whole exercise is based on MARKETING the CODE

These Media fools trying to suggest Jim Stynes did it are not comparing apples with apples

as at least the irish game has far more similarities than any other football code on the planet

What Stynes did was amazing as we all know but his brother Bryan didnt make the grade shows you it isnt easy

I bet Kaka or Wayne Rooney wouldnt make it either not that they would want to drop 40 million to find out

It's certainly a marketing exercise but the right guy such a young Darren Lockyer could make the change.

If the AFL are really serious about picking an NRL star to switch codes, then they should look at at rugby league players born in places like Wagga, where both codes are played with equal prominence. Greg Brentnall was born in Wagga and played Aussie Rules in the 60s as a teenager. He reportedly turned down an offer to play VFL and became became a star in NRL, winning the Dally M medal and representing Australia. His ability to continually catch the high ball changed the game.