Prime Time Draft Bid

Mousey

Prime Time Draft Bid

Just wondering what others opinions are on this. I think the Draft being on TV is great, i love watching the NBA draft every year.

but............

Top 10 count down???????????????? hmmmm not too sure about that all lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean that we select them in order but no one gets to know until 6:30-8 and then we get to see the rest of the draft continue as normal?

If it's telecast that last leaks will be all over the place and we will know who drafted who before any telecast. (unless they hold the draw in the evening)

yep i agree mate, love the idea of prime time and making it a tv event but the countdown idea hopefully it will go away because i find it very stupid.

Number 1 pick should always be said first.

Also hopefully they get rid of saying player number 9348295349853 NAME Club.

All they should say is-

"With the 1st pick in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft , The Melbourne Demons select Tom Scully from the Dandinong Stingrays"

Mr Scully then gets congratulated by friends and family, walks up to the stage, shakes Vlads hand and then gets handed a Dees Guernsey to hold up and pose with for photos then moves on :)

yep i agree mate, love the idea of prime time and making it a tv event but the countdown idea hopefully it will go away because i find it very stupid.

Number 1 pick should always be said first.

Also hopefully they get rid of saying player number 9348295349853 NAME Club.

All they should say is-

"With the 1st pick in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft , The Melbourne Demons select Tom Scully from the Dandinong Stingrays"

Mr Scully then gets congratulated by friends and family, walks up to the stage, shakes Vlads hand and then gets handed a Dees Guernsey to hold up and pose with for photos then moves on :)

I like the concept. The draft deserves a better presentation and time slot than it does at present and, of course in the event that Melbourne gets a priority pick this year, it will hold great interest for Demon fans.

The problem is that the concept will be short lived because in 2010 GC17 will have a swag of top ten picks (even if they swap one or two) and the draft could end up a bit of a turn off!

oh and the AFL are so good at live televised shows.. Images of another boring Brownlow type event come to mind.. no thanks..not unless they get a bit more with it .

Prime Time Draft Bid

Just wondering what others opinions are on this. I think the Draft being on TV is great, i love watching the NBA draft every year.

but............

Top 10 count down???????????????? hmmmm not too sure about that all lol

I like the Idea, but definately not fox. Channell 1 digital, the way to go.

Good Idea putting it on in the evening.

... fantastic

This will totally ruin the occaision for me lol

How would this ruin the occasion for you???????

You get to watch it?

I don't see what the problem is, I like the idea. It definately needs to be on TV (free to air) in primetime and I don't mind the reverse order part of it either, adds to the drama of it.

last year I tried watching it on the internet that died the so I listened to it on the radio.

How would this ruin the occasion for you???????

You get to watch it?

Not if its on Fox.

Putting it on pay tv is proper mental. This will [censored] me off in fact.

Sounds like a beauty pageant.

The second runner up is...Stephen Hill. Applause, he cries, accepts flowers.

The first runner up is....

Nik Natanui, which means the winner is Jack Watss! Applause, flowers, tears.

As my brother said last night, the point of being the number one draft pick is being the first to have your name called out on draft day.

I reckon it's a great idea to have it on a thursday night, but why only on foxtel??? It also annoys me when the FTA stations covered it in their news of being live across the nation, they forget to tell us that it is only available to foxtel subscribers. But hey, as long as it's broadcast live on radio i'm not bothered.

And i am not a fan of this countdown from 10-1, what a load of crock. Just call it like they always have, the reason why draft day has become such a huge occasion is also because the current method is working just fine. If it ain't broke why fix it.

If its done at an appropriate time, LIVE, in order, then OK.

If its done at 6.30 on a weeknight (since when is that prime time?), after most teams have actually selected their 1st rounders, then relayed to us out of order, then that sounds annoying.

Will people that are simply interested in knowing whose going wear asap, rather than some stupid circus show, still have the radio option?

Personally I much prefer the idea of simply listening to its on the radio live on a Saturday morning as I have done for years.

I am fairly certain that there is very little a TV station will be able to add that I haven't already seen or read myself prior to the draft.

Not if its on Fox.

Putting it on pay tv is proper mental. This will [censored] me off in fact.

I gather you don't have Foxtel? This type of event is something that is made for foxtel... It won't rate well enough for the free to air networks to show in prime time... One could host it, but I think it would be much better if it were on Foxtel, as I have no doubt, if they were there to broadcast the top 10, they'd hang around for the rest of the draft too, and do it properly... Not sure if One would give it the same attention, as 10 certainly haven't done much with the rights in the past...

And i am not a fan of this countdown from 10-1, what a load of crock. Just call it like they always have, the reason why draft day has become such a huge occasion is also because the current method is working just fine. If it ain't broke why fix it.

It is popular despite not being televised at primetime, because it is a genuinely interesting event for all footy fans, it's probably the 2nd most popular non-game event in footy 2nd only to the bownlow, and I would much rather watch the draft than the Brownlow.

I still havn't heard a good argument for not doing it in reverse order either, it doesn't change anything, it's not a tradition or anything like that it just adds a touch of drama and interest.

I'm always bemused at the woeful presentation of the AFL Draft. That the event is held on a Saturday morning and restricted to SEN radio coverage is embarrassing, and an area in which the AFL has not yet emerged from the dark ages. It's not a difficult concept. The NBA Draft (which is probably the most relevant parallel as their 60 selections are relatively close to our number, as opposed to the NBA and NHL's 200-odd), is something that Demitriou and his cronies need to sit down and watch and learn from. It's very simple. Bring it to prime time and it'll rate very well.

I'm always bemused at the woeful presentation of the AFL Draft. That the event is held on a Saturday morning and restricted to SEN radio coverage is embarrassing, and an area in which the AFL has not yet emerged from the dark ages. It's not a difficult concept. The NBA Draft (which is probably the most relevant parallel as their 60 selections are relatively close to our number, as opposed to the NBA and NHL's 200-odd), is something that Demitriou and his cronies need to sit down and watch and learn from. It's very simple. Bring it to prime time and it'll rate very well.

I think the last couple of drafts have been shown on Foxtel on Saturday although I can't recall if it was live or not.

Anyway, the whole top 10 countdown thing trying to build excitement won't work. When was the last time pick number 1 was a surprise to all? Each year pick one is known by all and sundry - there are no surprises in that regard.

Have you guys seen how the NBA do their draft?

Yes and it sucks.

Stern up there with his monotone voice coming out of nowhere to announce each pick.

I would prefer to watch BP deliberate and then deliver those fateful words "023871 rpfc (MCC)."

And I do a few interviews, it'll be great...

Do it on a Thursday night, fine. But count up (I can't believe that is even a thing you have to say) and make sure there is a different voice for every club and not Andersen announcing them. Interviews are fine but I'm not sure if they are going to be anything other than nervous, cliche-ridden, verbal diahhorea.

The NBA draft is full of verbose 23 year olds who LOVE the smell of their own sh!t. Makes for good TV.

Have you guys seen how the NBA do their draft?

The NBA has archives & archives of footage of the draftees playing in high quality competitions such as US college basketball and in some instances even competitions from overseas. The media is informed about the draftees abilities & backgrounds and actually have useful commentary to provide to the viewer. The USA used to field a team of college players as there representatives in the Olympics ffs!

So I don't think you can really compare the AFL draft and the NBA draft, at least not as a spectacle.

If we are going to televise it I'd prefer something a little more modest to be begin with, simply hosting the draft as normal just with cameras on, as they did a few years back, perhaps? Then afterwards, Hutchy & Co can tell us a whole bunch of information anyone can find for themselves and play some footage thats been on YouTube for 2 months already. I really don't want to have to put up with that mundane crap during the draft though.

Yes and it sucks.

Stern up there with his monotone voice coming out of nowhere to announce each pick.

I would prefer to watch BP deliberate and then deliver those fateful words "023871 rpfc (MCC)."

And I do a few interviews, it'll be great...

Do it on a Thursday night, fine. But count up (I can't believe that is even a thing you have to say) and make sure there is a different voice for every club and not Andersen announcing them. Interviews are fine but I'm not sure if they are going to be anything other than nervous, cliche-ridden, verbal diahhorea.

The NBA draft is full of verbose 23 year olds who LOVE the smell of their own sh!t. Makes for good TV.

Will have to agree to disagree mate :)

I think the NBA draft is fantastic to watch and i look forward to it every year, and its one of the biggest watched things in US every year.

Why do we have to call a stupid number infront of their name? Its like they are getting listed for the army or something.

Argument for not having countdown - imagine the countdown... 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2.... oh well whos left?

Even though there is never much surprise who is going to be number 1 they should always be the ones spoken out loud first!?

The NBA has archives & archives of footage of the draftees playing in high quality competitions such as US college basketball and in some instances even competitions from overseas. The media is informed about the draftees abilities & backgrounds and actually have useful commentary to provide to the viewer. The USA used to field a team of college players as there representatives in the Olympics ffs!

So I don't think you can really compare the AFL draft and the NBA draft, at least not as a spectacle.

If we are going to televise it I'd prefer something a little more modest to be begin with, simply hosting the draft as normal just with cameras on, as they did a few years back, perhaps? Then afterwards, Hutchy & Co can tell us a whole bunch of information anyone can find for themselves and play some footage thats been on YouTube for 2 months already. I really don't want to have to put up with that mundane crap during the draft though.

fair point m8.

Hey, why don't we do it a bit like WWE ?? We could have draftees entering to music they've picked out themselves and cannons firing confetti the colours of the team that selected them... We can arm wrestles to see who gets to walk out to Eye of the Tiger.

Dwayne Russell can interview each new draftee, wearing a ridiculously garish neon suit and asking banal, poorly thought-out questions. He needs to get a bad toupee though.

Bruce Macavaney can gush about all special new kids using incredibly inappropriate terms to describe them. He'd be purring out lines like 'Ooh, isn't he just so seductive the way he caresses the ball...' and 'I could just eat him with a spoon...'

Kelli Underwood can give a running commentary on summaries of draftees, but she'll be running 2 kids behind the one on the podium at all times.

And Vlad Demetriou will find a way to mispronounce names like 'Fitzpatrick', 'Stevens' 'Scully' & 'Butcher', yet be the only man in the room who can correctly spell and pronounce 'Trengove' & 'Morabito'...

Must-see-train-wreck-TV.

Pay-TV at that.

Now where did I put my wireless..? ;)