Just reported on SEN

Gorgoroth

Would it mean that Laidley could become a coach for MFC this year/next?

As everyone always says Laidley is supposedly one of the best match day coaches going around and would be a asset in the box, if Bailey would feel comfortable with him in there.

Would it mean that Laidley could become a coach for MFC this year/next?

As everyone always says Laidley is supposedly one of the best match day coaches going around and would be a asset in the box, if Bailey would feel comfortable with him in there.

Would be happy with that arrangement.

Bailey gets demoted to a player developent management role while Laidley takes the reigns on match day.

From what I hear, Bailey is a great teacher but isn't a capable match day coach.

Would be happy with that arrangement.

Bailey gets demoted to a player developent management role while Laidley takes the reigns on match day.

From what I hear, Bailey is a great teacher but isn't a capable match day coach.

What do you mean "from what you hear"? You have eyes! Have your own view. Don't just repeat someone else's stereotype. People thought Clarkson had on game plan back on 05/06. Turns out he had no cattle and was developing a list, then the game plan came to fruition.

I personally like the way we are trying to play. We have no forward line, so we can't just blaze away, but we try to keep the forward 50 open, we try to play on and use the corridor, and our backline is starting to take shape.

What do you mean "from what you hear"? You have eyes! Have your own view. Don't just repeat someone else's stereotype. People thought Clarkson had on game plan back on 05/06. Turns out he had no cattle and was developing a list, then the game plan came to fruition.

I personally like the way we are trying to play. We have no forward line, so we can't just blaze away, but we try to keep the forward 50 open, we try to play on and use the corridor, and our backline is starting to take shape.

You enjoyed our 5 goaless quarters in the last month? Wow you're easily satisfied with the game plan and style.

BTW Bailey could only dream of Clarkson's performance in 2005/2006. Clarkson had 15 wins in that period. How many for Bailey?

I'll happily eat humble pie if it all comes togethor, but I ain't seen nothin yet!

Good post Choko.

I also think we came from behind the back blocks that Hawthorn did. We have neither the leaders that the Hawks did in their darkest days and we have not had the senior player quality to trade to embellish our picks.

At the moment, its a rumour from the hot aired Andy Maher. If that not the ultimate caveat emptor. I dont know what is.

I have no issue with Bailey consulting with anyone including Laidley. However it might not be more than a cup of coffee and sharing a point of view.

Not that it will stop the running off with the pixies that engulfs this forum from time to time.

You enjoyed our 5 goaless quarters in the last month? Wow you're easily satisfied with the game plan and style.

BTW Bailey could only dream of Clarkson's performance in 2005/2006. Clarkson had 15 wins in that period. How many for Bailey?

I'll happily eat humble pie if it all comes togethor, but I ain't seen nothin yet!

Bailey could also only dream of having Clarkson's list at that time...

pointless comparison

I can see that Choko is more likely to take a balanced view of the situation rather than your reactionary spiels.

BTW Bailey could only dream of the Hawks list. Dont let a little bit of analysis scare you off.

You should lay off the humble pie...you have had too much of late.

Edit: Only just saw E25's post. B)

^^^

K Cool guys. You've convinced me that Bailey's the man.

I'll pretend last month never happened.

Nah man, not saying you have to like Bailey, just make it your opinion rather than someone else's perception. Then we can have a reasoned debate.

And FWIW, I have hated the past month and think that we have taken enormous steps backwards as a club in the past month, but that will happen when senior players are not good leaders and the youngsters fade due to the sheer physicality. The only thing that's important is that we get games into the youngsters to see who is up to it and so they learn and develop. Bailey is doing that for mine.

If you listen more to A.Maher. Laidley is interviewing with Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Melbourne & St.Kilda.

Someone go tell A.Maher that Carlton is 'still coming' please! I'm sure he would love to hear it.

Have been slowly digesting this thread. The club needs to throw everything at getting Laidley. Laidley is reputed to be a great game day coach, a strategist. Laidley has somehow got that North team to several finals apperances and IMO they have perfromed at thier optimum for years.

Bailey is a great communicator and developer of players. I still don't believe that we have had sufficient evicence either way to assess his game day abilities, but if there is a percieved deficiency there then Laidley is a great fit.

I would be stunned if Laidley comes within a bulls roar of us. The AFL scuttlebutt (I have no connections to anyone in the AFL) is he is being chased by a lot of clubs including clubs with big pockets.

He would be a good pick up but doubt it will ever happen.

Have been slowly digesting this thread. The club needs to throw everything at getting Laidley. Laidley is reputed to be a great game day coach, a strategist. Laidley has somehow got that North team to several finals apperances and IMO they have perfromed at thier optimum for years.

Bailey is a great communicator and developer of players. I still don't believe that we have had sufficient evicence either way to assess his game day abilities, but if there is a percieved deficiency there then Laidley is a great fit.

Anything is better than Bailey but having Laidley lead the club would be a disgrace. The kangas have always played a terrible congested brand of football. The only reason they have been reasonable is because their experienced players are a lot better than ours.

Bailey can't even comunicate a game plan and the development of his players is going at snail's pace. What evidence do you need that he can't coach? Another 20 wooden spoons.

Anything is better than Bailey but having Laidley lead the club would be a disgrace. The kangas have always played a terrible congested brand of football. The only reason they have been reasonable is because their experienced players are a lot better than ours.

Bailey can't even comunicate a game plan and the development of his players is going at snail's pace. What evidence do you need that he can't coach? Another 20 wooden spoons.

..... and not long ago the Geelong boards contained ill-informed dung like this in relation to Thompson's coaching ability, and more recently, Hawthorn's in relation to Clarko, and even more recently, StKilda's in relation to Lyon. Remember??

Pretty simple, really; if we our win-loss record doesn't gradually improve when our list gradually improves, we'll come to the conclusion that he can't coach. At the moment, he could be Norm Smith, John Kennedy and Kevin Sheedy all rolled into one, but when the side itself consists of kids, washed-up veterans and downright average footballers, he's not going to get much out of it. Next year, most of the average players and past-it veterans will be gone, and the kids -by and large- will be that little bit stronger, fitter and more experienced. Bailey will have had three years. If things arent looking up by then, he won't last. If they do, you'll probably be the first to call him a genius.

Not as much pressure and no media to contend with. Can be very well paid.

Perhaps, but Laidley doesn't seem like that sort of bloke. He comes across as something who loves the pressure, also can't see him not being the boss. I reckon he's just unwinding and catching up with his old sparring partners.