Get Buckley as coach

jumbo returns

Too emotive? Have I travelled into territory that harbours the blackest desires of all our hearts? Will this thread be allowed to run?

This guy, as a player, single handedly coached every young player in that Collingwood team to the extent that they almost pinched a premiership.

Think of the aura, the presence, the promotion this bloke would deliver.

With picks 1 and 2 pending, I think it deserves some thought.

Are we ready to take some risks????

He won't be available at the end of next year.

I think the genius wants us to fire Bailey and bring Buckley in.

If Bailey is 'unproven' as many on here criticise him for, I don't know what the [censored] Buckley is.

If Bailey is 'unproven' as many on here criticise him for, I don't know what the [censored] Buckley is.

Obviously he's not going to coach Melbourne, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of Buckley's credentials.

I reckon he'll be a fine coach. People often bring up Watson, but he never had the persona of Buckley, Voss, or G. Lyon for that matter.

What I don't understand is if we got rid of bailey why do we replace him with another unproven coach

go after Leigh Matthews

I'd also love Lethal at the Dees.Our biggest onfield problem is 100% intensity,we didn't have it under Daniher and we don't have it under Bailey.

This is solely the coaches domain,to bring the best out of each player and get him to play at 100%,whether he's a champion or a rookie.

That's what i loved about Leigh Matthews at the Lions,if you weren't playing at your optimum,you would be playing in the 2's finding it for 3-4 weeks.

TJ was the perfect example and it's the same under Voss,TJ never worked hard enough but he got away with under Daniher for so long and Bailey and the rest of the AFL could see it,so he moved him on as soon as he arrived.Voss won't accept it and Trav will be playing 2's footy until he realises how hard he has to work.

Most of our players wouldn't get a game under Matthews and Voss,purely on workrate.They would rather bring in a less talented player with a much higher workrate over a very talented player (TJ) with a lower workrate.

Lethal would turn over our list and take us back to a top 4 team quicker than any other coach and he's on the market,just waiting for the right list.He won't touch Richmond or North because both lists can't be rebuilt with GC17 and W. Sydney coming in but if the right list became available,he'd jump at it.

Under Matthews,most of our list would think [censored],is this how hard we have to work to be a top 4 team.

Lethal would also realise why Killer went no. 1 draft pick,because he was the best KPF in the draft and that was our no. 1 priority.

The dream result would be Bailey falling on his sword and resigning at the end of the year, and us not having to pay out his full contract.

I don't know what's going to happen in the future, but Bailey appears to be an absolute disaster of a coaching appointment at the moment. How could you argue otherwise?

I'd also love Lethal at the Dees.Our biggest onfield problem is 100% intensity,we didn't have it under Daniher and we don't have it under Bailey.

This is solely the coaches domain,to bring the best out of each player and get him to play at 100%,whether he's a champion or a rookie.

That's what i loved about Leigh Matthews at the Lions,if you weren't playing at your optimum,you would be playing in the 2's finding it for 3-4 weeks.

TJ was the perfect example and it's the same under Voss,TJ never worked hard enough but he got away with under Daniher for so long and Bailey and the rest of the AFL could see it,so he moved him on as soon as he arrived.Voss won't accept it and Trav will be playing 2's footy until he realises how hard he has to work.

Most of our players wouldn't get a game under Matthews and Voss,purely on workrate.They would rather bring in a less talented player with a much higher workrate over a very talented player (TJ) with a lower workrate.

Lethal would also realise why Killer went no. 1 draft pick,because he was the best KPF in the draft and that was our no. 1 priority.

Brisbane are doing much better this year under Voss than Matthews.

The senior players revolted last year and were refusing to play under Matthews. Brown would not re-sign until Matthews has gone.

And TJ...... Matthews gave a 1st round draft pick to actually get TJ.....a lazy, unaccountable, culture sore.

Yes let get Lethal....Unbelievable

STUPID POST

Can't articulate any better? Need some ROFL, LMAO or LOL to get you going?

All I'm trying to say is let's try something different. Contrary to the belief on this forum, individuals, especially high-profile ones, make a difference.

Jim Stynes becomes president, memberships go through the roof.

Cousins goes to the Tiges, ignites 2-3 million in the coffers straight away.

Judd to Carlton....you get my point.

Not on will Buckley become a huge success on the field, but the club will reap the benefits off the field as well.

I dont think this is a dumb post. How can you dismiss this discussion? I think we can all say we have seen nothing in Bailey so far that says he's a great coach. I think we are all just hoping things will magically turn around in 2010. With this rate of progression you can honestly see us battling for the spoon again next year. How is that progress? The game style we are playing sucks, lets be often. Too many players behind the ball, and when it does go forward all that does is generate a 5 on 2 situation in our forward line making it almost impossible to score. Im not convinced on bailey. Why should we be?

The senior players revolted last year and were refusing to play under Matthews. Brown would not re-sign until Matthews has gone.

I don't want Matthews, but I wouldn't take too much notice that some senior players had become disenchanted. Matthews had run his race after 10 years. The same thing happened to him at Collingwood after he'd been there 10 years, but it didn't stop him being incredibly successful at his next club. The great Norm Smith had many players play in spite of him, not always for him.

In all honesty there is nothing wrong with the suggestion jumbo returns. I just wonder if Buckley thinks if a job such as the coach of Melbourne would suit him? Certainly worth considering from Melbourne's point of view, that is if they wish to pursue a new coach. I can't see Melbournefc not re-signing Bailey at this stage.

Hearing Buckley of late, he may even be looking at an assistants role next year if a senior position is not for him.

I can't see Melbournefc not re-signing Bailey at this stage.

Only half way through his contract and you can't see him not being re-signed ? Why would he appear certain to get an extension beyond 2010 ?

Only half way through his contract you can't see him not being re-signed ? Why would he appear certain to get an extension beyond 2010 ?

Yeah look any one can turn a list over. If hes not winning next year he shouldnt be offered an extension. If we end up on 1 or 2 wins this year isnt that going backwards?

Only half way through his contract and you can't see him not being re-signed ? Why would he appear certain to get an extension beyond 2010 ?

That's what I said. Granted, nothing is ever certain in football or for that matter anything, really. I look at our list, I look at our midfield, I look at who is performing, I look at the work still to be done. There is still, a continued task to be carried out with the playing list - this incorporates/includes the 2009 NAB draft. All the more reason IMO that the rebuild / developing and progress on the field will continue next season after another big turnover of the list. We will have a different midfield, a young midfield trying to find their feet. I expect to see improvement on field with a few more wins and I think this will ensure an extension for Bailey to coach beyond his current contract. I could be wrong.

That's what I said. Granted, nothing is ever certain in football or for that matter anything, really. I look at our list, I look at our midfield, I look at who is performing, I look at the work still to be done. There is still, a continued task to be carried out with the playing list - this incorporates/includes the 2009 NAB draft. All the more reason IMO that the rebuild / developing and progress on the field will continue next season after another big turnover of the list. We will have a different midfield, a young midfield trying to find their feet. I expect to see improvement on field with a few more wins and I think this will ensure an extension for Bailey to coach beyond his current contract. I could be wrong.

G'day High Tower - nice avatar, our boy's going quite well... ;)

There's so much to do and my problem is how quickly some teams re-build compared to us. Look at Brissy, Essendon, and at this stage, even West Coast are in front of us.

Their coaches have a game plan that is set in stone - you don't perform, you're in the seconds.

A big turnover of the list needs to occur. Getting rid off White and Yze was hardly ground breaking.

Take care,

Jumbo

Bailey needs to see out his contract. Or at least see out the season and then half a season next year. Some decisions he makes bewilders me. Surely he can see we lack pace and decision making at center bounces and stoppages in general. Hence why we need Davey and Grimes in there with a harder bodied Moloney to back them up. Brock needs a rest as does Jones. Too slow for modern day football.

G'day High Tower - nice avatar, our boy's going quite well... ;)

There's so much to do and my problem is how quickly some teams re-build compared to us. Look at Brissy, Essendon, and at this stage, even West Coast are in front of us.

Their coaches have a game plan that is set in stone - you don't perform, you're in the seconds.

A big turnover of the list needs to occur. Getting rid off White and Yze was hardly ground breaking.

Hey jumbo.

So he is. And may he continue to... . As more youth comes into the club, he might just realise a little more the importance of leadership and maturity and how exciting it could all be for him on the field in the not-too-distant future. Let's keep those fingers crossed.

I too look at those sides you mention. Those clubs have good records in harnessing and developing their youth behind-the-scenes- it seems. However, as frustrating as it may seem, the likes of Brisbane & Essendon have been replenishing and rebuilding for sometime and are only now seeing good progress. They never really bottomed out like we currently are - as did the Hawks, Blues & Saints of the past. Brissy & Bombers have had KP players, leaders still available to them in the rebuilding phase. We've lost these.

There will be another turnover of sorts this year. But it's all for the better in the long term. The club will manage the turnover as best they can I believe. Making sure there is still the likes of Bruce, Green, Moloney available. The likes of senior players in Whelan, McDonald and perhaps Wheatley & Robbo might find it their last season for Melbournefc.

Brisbane are doing much better this year under Voss than Matthews.

And TJ...... Matthews gave a 1st round draft pick to actually get TJ.....a lazy, unaccountable, culture sore.

Yes let get Lethal....Unbelievable

I know Melbourne get a 4 time premiership coach instead of them geniuses they keep hiring like um... who's that fat guy who couldn’t even get an assistant job? Neil Bum what’s the other one we had um... Neale who? Neale doughnuts it's unbelievable the logic displayed on this site

Personally I’m not calling for baileys head I just want to understand why you would want to get Buckley instead of a champion who has replicated success at multiple clubs

So what is proposed is that we sack the Coach who is teaching kids to play AFL and once he has done the hard yards , replace him with a marketing campaign.

Hey, M FOOTBALL Club.

Too many people want quick fixes (a Month ago Watts was going to be THE SAVIOUR of the Club, Now people want him back @ Casey to grow up !!)

Cannot expect players to show loyalty when we appoint a bloke who is prepared for short term setbacks for longer term reward.

Remember there were 5 first year kids there on Sat night, plus 3 others who are virtually 2nd year players. Just think if we could get the same degree of improvement out of everyone like we have out of Warnock & James Frawley, how good we will be.

Why hand the cake to somebody who is only interested in promoting himself ?

Bailey would be more suited to a red nose and floppy shoes I would rather have Magic coach the club. His flood at all costs game plan sickens me. Seriously he is doing his job his incompetence should garantee us picks 1&2 at the end of the year sack him and go for the man we should be talking about and that's Todd Viney. Hawthorn have been lost without him and he's at the biggest club in the AFL in Adelaide who are looking at a top 4 when at the start of the year most people thought they wouldn't make the top 8 and more importantly he bleeds red and blue and you can garantee the gay [censored] we are playing at the moment won't be tolerated like it has been with Bailey. Forget Buckley we'd have to pay him a fortune and forget Lyon he was the [censored] that recruited Bailey in the first place with his Neil Balme style airy, fairy teacher crap.

You have to give Bailey his third year and it is amazing how a pre season or new players, some confidence can change a club (maybe not in our case) Geelong were ninth with the same players and have gone on and won 67 out of 69 (I know we are not at the stage but sometimes lists click)

If buckley doesn't take a senior position then I think we move heaven and earth to get him as an assistant... we have to sack Josh Mahoney (spelling) as our fwd line structure sucks although it may because the deliver from the midfield sucks more

Bailey would be more suited to a red nose and floppy shoes I would rather have Magic coach the club. His flood at all costs game plan sickens me. Seriously he is doing his job his incompetence should garantee us picks 1&2 at the end of the year sack him and go for the man we should be talking about and that's Todd Viney. Hawthorn have been lost without him and he's at the biggest club in the AFL in Adelaide who are looking at a top 4 when at the start of the year most people thought they wouldn't make the top 8 and more importantly he bleeds red and blue and you can garantee the gay [censored] we are playing at the moment won't be tolerated like it has been with Bailey. Forget Buckley we'd have to pay him a fortune and forget Lyon he was the [censored] that recruited Bailey in the first place with his Neil Balme style airy, fairy teacher crap.

Incessant flooding would lead to numbers around the footy and a sh!tload of stoppages.

Melbourne games have the least amount of stoppages in the AFL.

That would mean a free-flowing style, granted - the last three weeks have been flowing in one direction only, but I wouldn't say we flood to the extent that it is 'the gameplan.'