Martin Flanagan

heartbeatstrue

What do Demonlanders think? I'm enjoying them.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/demon...5961405002.html

As well as all the other emotions, I actually found it funny when Ablett goaled against us in the first 10 seconds. I think if I didn't see humour in following Melb through football-life's fortunes and (mainly) misfortunes, I would be very twisted by now. Character building is what I tell my kids, who got inflicted with my Demon passion. I think it's gotten in the genes or something.

I remember my first grand final where Melb won. It was 1970 and our reserves were unbeatable. I was very young and queued beside a Salvation Army lady with a tin to get a standing room ticket. Fully satisfied after watching us win, I stayed and was even more satisfied to see Barassi's Carrrrlton overun the Pies in the big one. Jezza's mark is indelibly imprinted in my brain.

I've had great times following Melb. And great pain. But it's worth it, and I live in hope. Probably for my kids, the way it's going (wry grin). Flanagan seems to capture some of the essence of life that only us Melb supporters truly know. And seeing the funny side is a very necessary part of it (it even seems funny now being chased through the back streets of Abbotsford after a particularly ugly game at Victoria Park one Saturday afternoon) :D

What do Demonlanders think? I'm enjoying them.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/demon...5961405002.html

As well as all the other emotions, I actually found it funny when Ablett goaled against us in the first 10 seconds. I think if I didn't see humour in following Melb through football-life's fortunes and (mainly) misfortunes, I would be very twisted by now. Character building is what I tell my kids, who got inflicted with my Demon passion. I think it's gotten in the genes or something.

I remember my first grand final where Melb won. It was 1970 and our reserves were unbeatable. I was very young and queued beside a Salvation Army lady with a tin to get a standing room ticket. Fully satisfied after watching us win, I stayed and was even more satisfied to see Barassi's Carrrrlton overun the Pies in the big one. Jezza's mark is indelibly imprinted in my brain.

I've had great times following Melb. And great pain. But it's worth it, and I live in hope. Probably for my kids, the way it's going (wry grin). Flanagan seems to capture some of the essence of life that only us Melb supporters truly know. And seeing the funny side is a very necessary part of it (it even seems funny now being chased through the back streets of Abbotsford after a particularly ugly game at Victoria Park one Saturday afternoon) :D

Good post. Another good article by Flanagan. I'll be sticking around. He does seem to capture the essence of what Melbourne supporters know. I have a feeling my kids who are 7, 4 and 1 (well, almost 1) respectively will enjoy the fruits of what the Mfc is putting into place now for the years to come. It will be a good time for them and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the turn around and hopefully the success that follows.

I think this article was his best so far. Its a pity more posters on this site have not read it. There is some good food for thought for the torch carrying angry supporters who want to push emotive and often ill informed theories about what is going on.

I actually thought this article would have got more attention here for the issues it hits on.

another great article here... I agree Rhino, right up there with his best for the season... When I read them, I'm surprised when they end... The way Martin writes has me expecting it to be 5-6 pages not 2... And I have no doubt he could expand these articles to be that long if the Age gave him the room...

That was a good read. I particualy liked this...

"...ridiculed the notion of a year-12 kid on an experienced player like Essendon's Dustin Fletcher, but Fletcher was a year-12 kid when he played on Stephen Kernahan in the 1993 AFL grand final."

I actually wasnt aware of that.

It's an article from a Melbourne supporter. I feel the same way. All of us do. I could have written the same article.

I just want to see that from someone who isn't a Melbourne supporter. I don't need another supporter to tell me to "stick around". I'm going to do that anyway. I want someone who wouldn't normally give a crap tell us we're going in the right direction.

I don't think Martin Flanagan is a Demons supporter. He is for this year while he's 'embedded' (as he calls it) with MFC to write articles over the year on our struggles and triumphs. Sometime ago he was embedded with the Dogs for a year and supported them.

He's from Tasmania and a supporter of football, and has written a book on Tom Wills (one of the founders of footy).

I hadn't realised that you had similar creative skills, somehow slipped me by. Maybe The Age will give you a call :D

I think this article was his best so far. Its a pity more posters on this site have not read it. There is some good food for thought for the torch carrying angry supporters who want to push emotive and often ill informed theories about what is going on.

I actually thought this article would have got more attention here for the issues it hits on.

*Bump* :D

Here, here.

If you haven't read the article yet. Read it.

I don't think Martin Flanagan is a Demons supporter. He is for this year while he's 'embedded' (as he calls it) with MFC to write articles over the year on our struggles and triumphs. Sometime ago he was embedded with the Dogs for a year and supported them.

He's from Tasmania and a supporter of football, and has written a book on Tom Wills (one of the founders of footy).

I hadn't realised that you had similar creative skills, somehow slipped me by. Maybe The Age will give you a call :D

I might be wrong, but I don't think 'calabreseboy' was actually saying Flanagan is literally an MFC supporter, but merely that he may as well be, because his article touches on the themes and issues that Melbourne supporters themselves feel.

I negelected to say what I've said on a previous post... speaking with Martin, who was sitting behind me for a game, I did ask why he was writing these stories & he said it was at the request of Cameron Schwab who followed his Bulldogs stories in 1993

Here's Flanangan's report from the WC game.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/dees-...6732331711.html

I think he's spot on with this comment:

Melbourne has been too passive in accepting its fate, or that is how it has seemed to me. I may be wrong in this. (It needs to be remembered that in most of its games before the Queen's Birthday capitulation to Collingwood, Melbourne had periods where it looked capable of winning.)

And he gives Warnock a rap. For my part he was almost our best and I admit to nearly having a "Robbo" moment with Warnock (several times actually), and "jumping up and call out his name with joyful abandon" except it would be uncool for a full back.

Another good read.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

For completeness, here is Martin's last article on us this year:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/dees-...1394593920.html

There is a remarkable lack of ego around. There are also some smart, sassy women involved. The club is on a mission. Garry Lyon gave the major speech at last month's debt demolition event, which was a fortnight after the announcement of Stynes' illness. "I don't have the right to ask (for more money),'' Lyon said. "But Jimmy (Stynes) does because of what Jimmy's given."

My kind of club. Go raibh maith agat, Martin! Slán.

And so we scully on to the future... :)

• 11 months later...

Martin Flanagan at his best:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/real-sense-of-spirit-keeps-the-demons-connected-20100730-10zuu.html

I'm sorry to rave on about the Dees, but, since spending last year with the club, I know so much about them. I know their doormen. I look forward to seeing Barry and Arthur. Barry King's got a truly welcoming way. Arthur Wilkinson's a legend. Arthur came to the club with Checker Hughes - winner, as coach, of five premierships. Arthur's in his 50th year at the club.

The play he describes between Wona and Scully last Sunday was football heaven!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/real-sense-of-spirit-keeps-the-demons-connected-20100730-10zuu.html

I'm sorry to rave on about the Dees, but, since spending last year with the club, I know so much about them. I know their doormen. I look forward to seeing Barry and Arthur. Barry King's got a truly welcoming way. Arthur Wilkinson's a legend. Arthur came to the club with Checker Hughes - winner, as coach, of five premierships. Arthur's in his 50th year at the club.

Marin is a terrific writer. He doesn't write like current day journalists, lots of words but no content. He's a story teller and it's great that he wants to help tell the Melbourne story.

He's also a wonderful speaker. I remember him reading a passage at the Dawn Service a few years back. The Dawn Service is always emotional but his words added another layer again.

I think the last paragraph sums it up best for how I feel about the club at the moment. It' bloody exciting to watch the talent emerge but:

"People nowadays talk about ''brands'' and ''franchises''. What I like about Melbourne is that it's become an old-fashioned footy club."

Fantastic article by a fantastic journalist. Has written so many positive pieces throughout the blight of recent times

Fantastic article by a fantastic journalist. Has written so many positive pieces throughout the blight of recent times

That sums it up nicely No16. Another fantastic story about our great Club, which is (hopefully) on the verge of becoming a great team.