Give Juice a Chance

w00dy

Guys, he will get his games. He has a contract in 2010.

They are just making him earn his games.

He will get his chance, will he take it?

Stay tuned.

Next on Footy Classified: Good Call, Bad Call...

Don't know where that came from...

Disturbing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why doesn't he perform at VFL level and earn the chance?

May 2 -- Kicks 10, Handballs 2, Marks 5, Tackles 6, Assists 8, Goals 5

May 18-- Kicks 6, Handballs 2, Marks 2, Tackles 1, Assists 2, Goals 2 (numbers back)

May 24-- Kicks 11, Handballs 4, Marks 6, Tackles 6, Assists 9, Goals 1 (inaccurate)

May 31- Kicks 14, Handballs 5, Marks 9, Tackles 5, Goals 3

v Robbo: Kicks 12, Marks 12, Goals 3 --- (Tackles 0, Handballs 0)

June 6 - Kicks 14, Handballs 6, Marks 8, Tackles 9, Assists 14

v Miller: Kicks 15, Handballs 3, Marks 15, Tackles 2, Assists 4, Goals 3 --- (50%+ stats & goals in junk time)

May 18-- Kicks 6, Handballs 2, Marks 2, Tackles 1, Assists 2, Goals 2 (numbers back)

May 24-- Kicks 11, Handballs 4, Marks 6, Tackles 6, Assists 9, Goals 1 (inaccurate)

v Miller: Kicks 15, Handballs 3, Marks 15, Tackles 2, Assists 4, Goals 3 --- (50%+ stats & goals in junk time)

but his form doesn't warrant selection :rolleyes:

but his form doesn't warrant selection :rolleyes:

Ever thought of watching a game or is it easier just to read the paper or the net.

Those stats are marvellous. Why doesn't he impact games and hurt the opposition at VFL level? He should be. I have been watching this guy at Sandy since 2006. Got talent but not the mindset to make it work at either VFL or AFL level.

Its interesting that Miller has the same stats at VFL level and clearly drives the game. And the so called junk time stats resulted in 7 goals in the last quarter.

Until he starts kicking goals at VFL level then he shouldn't get a game.

Honestly, one of your better statements and posts.

While he continues to do nothing worthy of promotion, he can stay where he is.

I'd argue his form line would be equal or better of all those players, with Jurrah bagging 4 goals today, surpassing him... But unlike LJ, we know Juice is physically ready for the AFL. LJ hasn't had anywhere near the preperation Juice has. If i were picking the team next week, I'd have them both in.

Here is his form line for Casey since he was dropped... I'd say without kicking massive bags week after week, that's pretty good form for a key forward... 27 tackles in 5 games...

Point is he's in good form, and deserves consecutive games for Melbourne.

27 tackles in 5 games is not the be all and end all. He's main objective is to provide a focal point & kick goals with confidence. He's not at the required level.

And Newton has been the best melbourne listed player at casey over the whole season., bar nobody. Ive been to every game so have more idea than people who suggest that any other player has been better.

Don't go applying for any talent scout jobs in a hurry Freak.

Newton is an immature slowish young tall with ability, who's not great below his knees. Will be a good VFL player - once he gains more confidence.

Agree.

Sorry but Newton is NOT in good form. 27 tackles? well how about getting 27 possessions instead?

How about kicking a goal from the goal square instead of show-boating? Not once yesterday but twice.

His performance yesterday was nothing short of appalling, and without a gift goal when he slacked off behind play, not chasing his man, yet again, he would have had nothing.

Reminiscent of the Adelaide game. Checkside from 15m out on a 45 degree angle. Hasn't learnt.

How many people wanted to trade Sylvia, now he's the favourite son around here.

I know I didn't. :D

FMD.

No thanks. :lol:

He will get his chance, will he take it?

Stay tuned.

Next on Footy Classified: Good Call, Bad Call...

Don't know where that came from...

Disturbing.

Correct, it is disturbing...........thanks 'Hutchy'

The stats reflect the Juice is starting to work harder.

Now he's got to make his hard work impact the score board & he'll start getting the respect.

I can't wait for Juice to prove everyone wrong... The worrying thing, i'm not sure any of you will be happy when he does, such has been the vendetta against this guy...

Unfortunately, vanlo, you are probably right. For some reason Melbourne supporters have always loved playes unconditionally and hated others without any good reason. Greg Healey was always canned and yet he was a great player but we embraced Ben Holland who was not in his league but could do no wrong in our eyes. Neita could get 2 possessions for the game and we'd defend his place in the side but others could have a great game and we could not see it. Chisholm was another player we didn't support and I think that Newton is being discarded a little early. I am not a fan of his but I am hoping he does well and proves me wrong.

Unfortunately, vanlo, you are probably right. For some reason Melbourne supporters have always loved playes unconditionally and hated others without any good reason. Greg Healey was always canned and yet he was a great player but we embraced Ben Holland who was not in his league but could do no wrong in our eyes. Neita could get 2 possessions for the game and we'd defend his place in the side but others could have a great game and we could not see it. Chisholm was another player we didn't support and I think that Newton is being discarded a little early. I am not a fan of his but I am hoping he does well and proves me wrong.

I think you'll find its ALL supporters of any club, but its rarely for no reason.

In fact its probably because of the attitude, endeavor and commitment to the team rules which those guys displayed.

Some people just don't get it, and those same people would be in the same boat as Juice if they had the tools to be an AFL player

Edit: Not sure I'd include Healey in that statement I just made. But then again, Newton doesn't merit a mention in the same sentence as Healy.

I hope Juice proves me wrong one day. Won't hold my breath.

neitz had runs in the bank. and it wasnt through lack of effort.

newton was in fact the love child of the forum pre debut ... people were wetting themselves left right and centre. now they realise a lack of effort isnt good enough.

Weird examples.

Holland copped his fair share of criticism over the journey, particularly over his pace, agility and goal-kicking. However, his strengths were generally recognised.

With two AA spots, a Coleman medal, a B&F and the captaincy Neitz had the runs on the board to survive some lean trots. I didn't post on Demonland when Chisholm was playing but he was an average footballer.

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Newton - Kicks 13, Handballs 8, Marks 4, Tackles 7, Goals 4

– Michael was good again. He kicked 4.3 and was a really good target in the first half, particularly in the opening term. Last week he only had one tackle and second efforts have been part of his game this year, but he bounced back with seven tackles. I think he's had a really good season so far with us and he hasn't done any harm in his chances for further AFL selection.

Surely he gets a game soon... Of all the players playing at Casey on a regular basis, he's been consistently the best along with Dunn...

Get him in Bails... We need another target down forward!

Surely he gets a game soon... Of all the players playing at Casey on a regular basis, he's been consistently the best along with Dunn...

Get him in Bails... We need another target down forward!

Just for you Vanlo......then you can stop giving this thread the *Bump* every few weeks.. ;)

The bloke is a plonker, but will get a chance again very soon as I think Bailey has had enough of Miller and PJ.

Just for you Vanlo......then you can stop giving this thread the *Bump* every few weeks.. ;)

Just want to keep pushing the cause... So you'll remember me when he has success at AFL level :) If his form at Casey is poor, then I'll stop, but he keeps getting 15-20 posessions a week from full forward, having 5+ shots on goal per game, and most weeks is laying a heap of tackles... When he stops doing all these things, I'll stop bumping the thread ;)

It may be hard to find him a spot, given we had a lot more contributors last week... I'd bring him in for Petterd personally, even though Ricky P played quite well, I'd still think Juice could do a better job... Play Juice at full forward, Robbo could play Petterd's role perhaps.

Just want to keep pushing the cause.

I'm not interested in "causes".

If Newton plays consistently well enough at Casey to warrant selection, then he gets selected. If he plays for Melbourne and fails to do the team thing, doesn't kick goals and provide forward defensive pressure, then he goes back to Casey.

That's all there is to it.

If Newton plays consistently well enough at Casey to warrant selection, then he gets selected. If he plays for Melbourne and fails to do the team thing, doesn't kick goals and provide forward defensive pressure, then he goes back to Casey.

And yet, what's good for the goose is ignored for the gander. Ah well.

I'm not interested in "causes".

That's all there is to it.

I don't think selection of players is ever that black and white, but I agree completely. If he starts playing badly for Casey, I'll shut up... But he's been consistent all year down there, was a scapegoat for our loss to Adelaide when he was dropped... Think he more than deserves another chance...

I don't think selection of players is ever that black and white, but I agree completely. If he starts playing badly for Casey, I'll shut up... But he's been consistent all year down there, was a scapegoat for our loss to Adelaide when he was dropped... Think he more than deserves another chance...

He was rightly dropped after that game against Adelaide Vanlo. End of Story. It's been well discussed already.

He has another year on the contract so not too sure we will see too much of him for the rest of this year unless he can turn his kicking around quickly....

His defensive pressure seems to have increased another notch which he needed to do, 7 tackles on the weekend. Seems to be a consistent.

I personally want to see him play out the year if his form warrants it, but his kicking and staying in the contest still need to improve.

agree to disagree ?

Ok. Bailey even pointed out in his post match comments during the week (after Adelaide game) of why Newton was going back to Casey. So he could work on his game and more importantly work on his kicking for goal. So when the next time comes. He doesn't opt for a checkside kick 10m out on a 45 angle.

Edited by High Tower