Col Sylvia - the only one who stood up today

If Sylvia's last month is a true indication of the rest of his career, then it's been well worth the wait.

Agreed. Play that way, more often than not, for the next 5 or 6 years and no doubt, all will be forgiven. He's winning a lot of respect back now that's for sure.

He was just awesome today and has been in great form for a while now. His body and fitness base looks so much stronger and he's running out games beautifully. He has more power through his legs and his pace looks much improved. Even in his 'down' weeks over the last month, he's still managed to get over 20 disposals and a goal or two.

After the article that came out the other day, he had to stand up and show that he really meant what he said, and what better way to do that then perform? Almost like he knew that he owed it to us and his team, as well as himself, to give his absolute all. He definitely did that today.

Would indeed be climbing the b&f ladder very quickly.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia definitely had the best game today but there were a few others who had a go.

Grimes was good today and although he made some mistakes I think Cheney at least tried to be purposeful.

Jamar after a slow start got into the game as well.

One player who I noticed for entirely different reasons to his usual game was Warnock. No doubt he didn't have the best of games today but he seemed to have a go a few times at running the ball out of defence and I must say he wasn't too bad at it - nothing flash but reasonable pace and conviction like say a McPhee from Essendon a few years ago. Defensive run is an aspect of our game that I hope we work on more and more and Warnock may have an extra string to his bow that I didn't know about.

Just thought I would say how bloody good Colin Sylvia was today.

In a dismal effort by the team, he was the only one who stood up and took charge!

He was bloody fantastic wasn't he? This kid is beginning to go places.

In a dismal effort by the team, he was the only one who stood up and took charge!

Yes I agree hear, hear - who else stood up , he can't do it on his own!! You feel like running out and helping him don't you - we probably would do better ourselves - we played like a ordinary seconds team!!

How much longer is he banned for anyway? The site becomes x10 less entertaining without him here.

On what planet? Demonland is actually readable for a change.

And just think how much we've actually talked about football, instead of talking about Y_M...

'land has been awesome to come to for the last month.

WORST EFFORT 'RILES' SYLVIA

My toast to Col. :lol:

I thought Jamar worked hard and was serviceable.

Best player at the club at the moment.

Agree. Over the last 3 weeks.

Aaron Davey called to say hi... and he was at Brad Green's house at the time. Having a beer with Beamer.

In terms of form at present, Sylvia is.

I sincerely hope that Col can keep up this form.

because I for one, am looking forward to eating a massive bowl of humble pie.

;) <<<<Pshhhht (sound of opening of stubby whilst reading this thread...)

On today's effort all three should be hanging their heads in embarrassment today.

Sylvia's last two efforts at the G have been awesome individual efforts that other more fancied players should be watching a replay of.

If Sylvia's last month is a true indication of the rest of his career, then it's been well worth the wait.

B&F for Col at the end of year

Finished stubby.

Not so sure about that statement. Further consistency will be the key. Davey would have a sizeable lead.

On what planet? Demonland is actually readable for a change.

And just think how much we've actually talked about football, instead of talking about Y_M...

'land has been awesome to come to for the last month.

I think he was banned from 'Ology' for life recently....- reason 'continual player bashing' after coming back from suspension.....unconfirmed.

Sylvia was very good on Monday.

Reminds me of the story of the famous story of the extraordinary trumpet player Wynton Marsalis.

Maybe they will both share a slow start and successul finish, but Sylvia's problems haven't come because he has taken the time to perfect the basics.

He certainly has a lot of talent. Surest hands ever, and is becoming one of those players who, when in possession, i am confident will do the right thing and something good will come of it.

Are you confident with his disposal by hand, particular in tight positions?

In the age article he talked about how the whole club said he was dishonest well he can throw that straight back at them after Monday. I thought at the start of the year if Sylvia and Davey could click we may start playing good football we may start to look good. They have done that (Davey has tapperd off a bit) and we are still [censored]. Where to for the Dees? I have no idea.

Col has been very good over the last month. Today he once again stood up.

I'm very happy with him and very happy for him. It sounds like the penny has dropped and he's maturing both as a footballer and a man, getting himself together both on field and off.

I think the most pleasing thing is that he isn't getting carried away with playing a few good games. He realises he still has alot of work to do and is committed to the task week in week out.

Maybe they will both share a slow start and successul finish, but Sylvia's problems haven't come because he has taken the time to perfect the basics.

Never let relevance get in the way of a good story :lol:

Beamer was respectable today. On a type of day when the handball should be outlawed, his style of play actually helped us get on the scoreboard. He didn't put in 4 quarters though. Green was OK and made a target early on.

you're joking! Green was awful. A defender fell on him and he got a free which he missed. Otherwise didn't trouble the scorers and made several blunders. Moloney got it a lot more but I can barely recall him finding a target

Another Good week for Col, Keep it up The team needs you, The coach needs you.

I give credit where credit is Due, & you deserve it right now.

I'm especially glad that he backed up the article that was written about him in The Age, by Quayle. Often you find (particularly Melbourne) players struggle to back up after an article is written about them, but perhaps, considering the articles content, it was added motivation?

you're joking! Green was awful. A defender fell on him and he got a free which he missed. Otherwise didn't trouble the scorers and made several blunders. Moloney got it a lot more but I can barely recall him finding a target

Greeny is one of my favourites, but he was poor against the Pies. Easily his worst game for the season. Mind you, he wasn't alone out there, unfortunately.

WORST EFFORT 'RILES' SYLVIA

My toast to Col. :lol:

I thought Jamar worked hard and was serviceable.

Agree. Over the last 3 weeks.

In terms of form at present, Sylvia is.

;) <<<<Pshhhht (sound of opening of stubby whilst reading this thread...)

Finished stubby.

Not so sure about that statement. Further consistency will be the key. Davey would have a sizeable lead.

I think he was banned from 'Ology' for life recently....- reason 'continual player bashing' after coming back from suspension.....unconfirmed.

You haven't given out your password to rhino have you HT?

I had to read this post twice!

Absolutely.

No one on our list can play football the way Sylvia does, that Hawthorn game was something else, like watching a Judd or Ablett in top flight. I couldn't believe what I was seeing to tell you truth.

He was great against the Saints and superb on Monday.

These are good teams he's delivering against.

I hope he plays like he has something to prove every week, because it's working.

In the age article he talked about how the whole club said he was dishonest well he can throw that straight back at them after Monday. I thought at the start of the year if Sylvia and Davey could click we may start playing good football we may start to look good. They have done that (Davey has tapperd off a bit) and we are still [censored]. Where to for the Dees? I have no idea.

:lol: You figured it out. Well done. ;)

Greeny is one of my favourites, but he was poor against the Pies. Easily his worst game for the season. Mind you, he wasn't alone out there, unfortunately.

I think Brad Green would want Round 12 to come around pretty quick. He's been good overall, but Monday was very average.

You haven't given out your password to rhino have you HT?

I had to read this post twice!

Ah.......no.

PS. It wasn't alcohol. Shhh. (for the record, just a toast to someone who seems to now know that the penny has dropped...) ;) <fingers crossed.

Absolutely.

No one on our list can play football the way Sylvia does, that Hawthorn game was something else, like watching a Judd or Ablett in top flight. I couldn't believe what I was seeing to tell you truth.

He was great against the Saints and superb on Monday.

These are good teams he's delivering against.

I hope he plays like he has something to prove every week, because it's working.

Good comment. Agree.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Keep it up Col and I'll remove you from the unfavorite list while happily eating a big slice of that humble pie. I'm always happy to be proved wrong when it comes to underestimating a demon.

I am starting to think that the penny has dropped in regards to Sylvia

His last few games he has played *responsibly* without any regards to the scoreboard

He played like the scores were even and thats a very good sign for Bailey

If he keeps that form up he has not only turned the corner but there is no reason he cant keep improving

When the time comes (and it will eventually) that our clanger count is level with the top sides then players like Sylvia will shine

I just loved seeing him line up Maxwell, flatten him and take the mark. :D

His love of physical contact just adds to his game. That and good skills. Looks like we were all wrong about him (well, those of us calling for his head).

That felt good. It certainly knocked the wind out of Maxwell. It's a pity we were behind on the scoreboard when it happened. If we were in front I'm sure there would have been a roar.

That felt good. It certainly knocked the wind out of Maxwell. It's a pity we were behind on the scoreboard when it happened. If we were in front I'm sure there would have been a roar.

Yeah, it was a nice moment. Made Maxwell look pretty soft too. :P