Russell Robertson

Roost It

I've been calling for an end to his career for awhile now and some of the things I hear in response are as follows

"He'll be able to teach the young ones a few tricks"

"He straightens us up"

"He's exciting and brings people to the footy"

"His defensive pressure isn't that bad"

"He's the heart of the club"

Now after his last few efforts is there anyone left who actually believes any of this rubbish. Yesterday against the reigning premiers he was back to his very worst. I actually think it was the most selfish, disrespectful and sad display from a Melbourne football player I've ever witnessed. On several occasions he leapt for the unmarkable ball only to be found lying on his back as Tassie swept the ball out of defence. His attempted goal whilst lying on his back is not something a 19 year old who's busting his gut for the "TEAM" needs to see from a so called experienced player. His "defensive" game involves a 50 metre chase to an opponent who always hears him coming and is never tackled. In any other team in the comp, beside Richmond, none of this would be tolerated. I'm hoping Bailey and co. think the same and he is delisted at year's end. A key forward in the modern game needs to have a reliable 50 metre kick, great defensive pressure and an ability to inspire others around him. Robertson holds none of those traits.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was the dragging enough?

i have been a big robbo fan for years but what i saw on sunday really disappointed me!!

he took a mighty mark, should have gone back and kicked the goal... would have inspired the team but instead decides to play on and makes a mess of a certainty!!

his forward line pressure is also poor... coming off an injury eys but if not fit, we do not play him!!

perhaps a rest could be granted???

I've been calling for an end to his career for awhile now and some of the things I hear in response are as follows

"He straightens us up"

Now after his last few efforts is there anyone left who actually believes any of this rubbish. Yesterday against the reigning premiers he was back to his very worst. I actually think it was the most selfish, disrespectful and sad display from a Melbourne football player I've ever witnessed. On several occasions he leapt for the unmarkable ball only to be found lying on his back as Tassie swept the ball out of defence. His attempted goal whilst lying on his back is not something a 19 year old who's busting his gut for the "TEAM" needs to see from a so called experienced player. His "defensive" game involves a 50 metre chase to an opponent who always hears him coming and is never tackled. In any other team in the comp, beside Richmond, none of this would be tolerated. I'm hoping Bailey and co. think the same and he is delisted at year's end. A key forward in the modern game needs to have a reliable 50 metre kick, great defensive pressure and an ability to inspire others around him. Robertson holds none of those traits.

I don't normally agree with much you say but I do agree it was one of the most selfish games I've seen in a Melbourne jumper but if you are going to drop or delist someone you have to be able to replace them with someone to equal or more ability, Unfortunatley we don't have that luxury right now.

I have been a fan of Robbo for a long time but what he served up on Sunday is not acceptable.

"He straightens us up"

He deserves to get a kick up the ass for his efforts against the Hawks especially the effort in the goal square but I want to see how he responds against the Saints if he dishes out crap like that again then yes his career should be near the end.

I don't normally agree with much you say but I do agree it was one of the most selfish games I've seen in a Melbourne jumper but if you are going to drop or delist someone you have to be able to replace them with someone to equal or more ability, Unfortunatley we don't have that luxury right now.

I have been a fan of Robbo for a long time but what he served up on Sunday is not acceptable.

His efforts on Sunday are the same as other days. Just that this was one of the most embarrasing ones.

He deserves to get a kick up the ass for his efforts against the Hawks especially the effort in the goal square but I want to see how he responds against the Saints if he dishes out crap like that again then yes his career should be near the end.

Too late for that. He wont change. He can wax all he likes in the media and on the Footy Show but he just does not understand or get the playing for the best interests of the team thing with AFL. This could be his final year.

His efforts last night were disgraceful and appalling, probably bad enough to leave him on the bench for the remainder of the game (after the lying down attempt. Having said that, there’s no doubt that we’re a better team with him out there. He provides a target, he leads well and his kicking isn’t too bad. Better than most (miller/petterd/martin). Martin looked like he’d never kicked for goal before.

I think we all need to remember that he’s had almost 12 months out of the game and he hasn’t done a pre-season.

Robo won't get another contract extension, that's obvious, but what is also obvious is he's one of the very few on our list right now who is capable of kicking a bag and being a realistic and threatening target up forward. For as long as Robo plays he'll commond one of the better defenders to mark him.

Robo is part of the old Melbourne, yes we're going to look forward but let's celebrate his career in a developmental season which will most likely be his last.

Storm in a teacup. He screwed up, and needs to be reprimanded, maybe punished. Dragging him was a start, dropping him would be better. Simple enough. He needs to focus, and take the game more seriously, like we know he can. If dropping him is the way to do this, I think even he would eventually see the merit in this.

I will say this though. Had his ploy worked we would be singing his praises right now for a workmanlike 3.2 goal performance. GREAT mark wasn't it?

Rather than bag a player on his way out through age, injury and a very poor performance yesterday, I think it's fair enough to give Robbo credit for his contribution to the team overall.

Definitely not part of our future but it's poor form, so to speak, to run him into the ground atm.

I don't want to see him lining up for us next year but at least I'd like our supporters to give him a decent send-off for the rest of the season. And that may well be at Casey Fields for a number of matches.

Next to the Tigers I reckon we're the supporter group who too hungrily eats their own when they're on the fade.

I will say this though. Had his ploy worked we would be singing his praises right now for a workmanlike 3.2 goal performance. GREAT mark wasn't it?

No. Goal or not it just a show pony act that puts the team effort at the very risk that actually happened especially when we were battling to get back in the game.

Any responsible coach would have dragged him anyway regardless.

The biggest issue is that Robbo wont learn now. He has not learned in the past. Its too late now for him. Its a very bad example of what he does too often.

It may well be his last year.

BTW, its hardly a storm in a teacup if you want him dropped???

Was a terrible effort on his part and he should know better. I'd say drop him for this week. Miller to FF and Dunn to CHF but leave it at that. Unfortunatly we still need his presence this year and next. However we wont see anymore of Robbo beyond 2010 I believe.

Robo won't get another contract extension, that's obvious, but what is also obvious is he's one of the very few on our list right now who is capable of kicking a bag and being a realistic and threatening target up forward. For as long as Robo plays he'll commond one of the better defenders to mark him.

Robo is part of the old Melbourne, yes we're going to look forward but let's celebrate his career in a developmental season which will most likely be his last.

well said. but while Watts is still learning the game and if Robbo remains are best target up forward their is no need to rush his retirement. For me it was a breathe of fresh air to see Robo back out on the turf bc hes the only true forward the dees have (for the moment).

Storm in a teacup. He screwed up, and needs to be reprimanded, maybe punished. Dragging him was a start, dropping him would be better. Simple enough. He needs to focus, and take the game more seriously, like we know he can. If dropping him is the way to do this, I think even he would eventually see the merit in this.

Dappa, I don't think it is a storm in a teacup at all. This bloke has pretensions of being a leader. He is our only effective lead-up forward. AND he cost us three goals last night just in opportunities he stuffed up, not to mention any chance of scrounging others through defensive pressure. In the context of a young team busting a gut on the hope of a win, Robbo's effort is shocking. He needs a serious spray and a serious demotion. Selfish, arrogant little....

If Newton did it we'd all be saying how unsuitable for top-flight footy he is. I'm sick of waiting for Robbo to change. RR is right - he cannot, he will not. The less he stuffs up other player development the better. Hell, it would be better playing Hughes or Zomer than Robbo. At least we'd see if they could play. Robbo's wares are all too evident.

He was still the ONLY forward to make any presence as a forward.

Pity the game highlight was followed by the game lowlight,

but you can see his thoughts - just tap it through. Pity it failed and pity he didn't go back for a kick.

Dunn to FF, Miller to CHF sure (and not the way Tall Defence put it), and Robbo as the extra forward, not the key forward.

And who has ever said these?

"He straightens us up"

Yeah, I know you can probably show the quotes. I'd go with #3 but none of the others.

Rather than bag a player on his way out through age, injury and a very poor performance yesterday, I think it's fair enough to give Robbo credit for his contribution to the team overall.

Definitely not part of our future but it's poor form, so to speak, to run him into the ground atm.

I don't want to see him lining up for us next year but at least I'd like our supporters to give him a decent send-off for the rest of the season. And that may well be at Casey Fields for a number of matches.

Next to the Tigers I reckon we're the supporter group who too hungrily eats their own when they're on the fade.

I'm not bagging him for his age or his injuries. In fact I commend him for coming back from those injuries at his age. However when a senior player puts on a performance like yesterday he deserves all the scrutiny he gets. I give him credit for his career contribution but only because he comes from a time when his indiscretions were left unnoticed, Daniher must share in the blame on this front. His inability to consistently do the team thing has long been a source of dissapointment to me and I'm sure many at the club. But hell they put up with Travis for 10 years so who's faults that. I think the club is changing and I'd be very surprised if Russell is offered another contract.

I

Robbo has the same selfish attitude to playing that Yze had

To me 4 points is what matters not standing on someones head

With such a young list we dont need this example to cloud the minds of our future stars

Part of the responsibility of veteran players within a team is for sound guidance not bad habits

No. Goal or not it just a show pony act that puts the team effort at the very risk that actually happened especially when we were battling to get back in the game.

Any responsible coach would have dragged him anyway regardless.

Spot on Rhino.

Regardless of whether he kicked the goal or not, to even attempt to kick a goal while laying on his back after taking a mark in the goal square, deserves a dragging and a mighty spray from Bailey. We were 40 points down. Getting soundly beaten pretty much all over the ground. And all Robbo has on his mind is getting on the highlight tape. Ridiculous.

I watched the tape of the Bulldogs game last week. In the last quarter Bate is running with the ball inside 50. He has two options. One, to pass to Petterd on a lead or two, kick long to Robbo. Bate does neither and the ball goes out of bounds. Robbo turns around, hands on hips, glaring back at Bate, a real Matthew Richardson-Brendan Fevola type moment. Meanwhile, a week later, Robbo has the ego to try party tricks when we're 7 goals down. Simply crap form from a veteran and a supposed club leader.

No doubt Robbo will be feeling like a right royal dick right now. Will he be dropped? I don't know. If he does play, he better go all out to redeem himself this week.

This is a guy who should be fighting to remain relevant on a list of emerging and talented young players. He's playing like he's guaranteed a spot.

Spot on Rhino.

Regardless of whether he kicked the goal or not, to even attempt to kick a goal while laying on his back after taking a mark in the goal square, deserves a dragging and a mighty spray from Bailey. We were 40 points down. Getting soundly beaten pretty much all over the ground. And all Robbo has on his mind is getting on the highlight tape. Ridiculous.

This is a guy who should be fighting to remain relevant on a list of emerging and talented young players. He's playing like he's guaranteed a spot.

Does anybody seriously think, that Robbo attempting to kick a goal on the ground was him putting personal glory ahead of the team??? I cant actually figure that one out? It was an absolute lapse of judgment, and that is it.

Robbo got dragged after the incident, and more than likely has been put on notice for him past 2 performances. This should really be the end of the subject.

Robbo is Robbo, and its why you ether love him or hate him. He excites alot of fans and whether you like it or not, provides a valuable target up forward (R9 aside). As someone has previously said, he has kicked 400 odd goals for a reason, hes no dud.

So just relax for another week, because i am sure by then everyone will have another player that they will want to crucify and call for the head!

Does anybody seriously think, that Robbo attempting to kick a goal on the ground was him putting personal glory ahead of the team??? I cant actually figure that one out? It was an absolute lapse of judgment, and that is it.

Why would he not just get up, go back and kick the goal from 3 metres? Its simple its the team thing. He cant do that. Its selfish.

He has cheated the hard work of younger players getting the ball forward against a superior opposition. For an apparent senior player and someone who thinks he is a leader its disgraceful. Its a pity he also stuffed two other opportunities for goal on the day

No other succcessful Club would tolerate selfish play. But its clear many MFC supporters do.

It ironic that his personal tally of goals becomes some kind of justification for a player who plays for himself

I cant believe the over reaction to threads some times.

Robbo is our best foward and besides Neitz has been our best in the last 10yrs.

Hes a champ who had a bad game, which they all do. RE: Fev

So get off his back, Im sure he will bounce back this week, after all he had been out along time, so expect him to improve as the weeks progress.

As for the goal attempt, was simply a rush of blood and he didn't need to be dragged for that.

I'm sure he realised it was stupid, the coaches where probably just sending a message to the team, for the benefit of other fowards so they don't make similar mistakes.

Why would he not just get up, go back and kick the goal from 3 metres? Its simple its the team thing. He cant do that. Its selfish.

He has cheated the hard work of younger players getting the ball forward against a superior opposition. For an apparent senior player and someone who thinks he is a leader its disgraceful. Its a pity he also stuffed two other opportunities for goal on the day

No other succcessful Club would tolerate selfish play. But its clear many MFC supporters do.

It ironic that his personal tally of goals becomes some kind of justification for a player who plays for himself

As previously stated Rhino, perhaps, Rushed, Lapse of judgment or panicked, whatever descriptive word you want to use, but to label him selfish for that particular act, is unfair.

Yes he should have gone back and had a set shot, I know it, you know it, and I would dare say that even Robbo knows it. Lets move on.

I mentioned that fact that he has kicked 400 plus goals to simply highlight the fact, that despite the fact that people now think that his high flying marks are a sign of selfishness, the guy can kick goals.

Theres just some very harsh words being thrown around in the face of what just seems to be a storm in a tea cup.

It does not matter than he can kick goals. It does not matter a hoot. If he cannot give the right example about the most basic aspects of footy then a few goals is not enough to compensate. His output is low - just because it is better than anyone we have doesn't mean that we just cop it.

Thanks for the memories Robbo, but I want no more of yours.

It wasn't his finest day and many of the criticisms are valid, but some views on this thread are indeed over the top. There seems to be a bit of a pack mentality on the forums on occasions and this is a good example.

It will probably be his last year, but some of the comments are disrespectful. He's no "champ" as one poster asserted, but he'll rightfully look back proudly at a very good career. Fifth on our all time goals list - will move higher, and over 400 goals. Not bad for a rookie list elevation.

Some posters are like a dog with a bone.

I cant believe the over reaction to threads some times.

Robbo is our best foward and besides Neitz has been our best in the last 10yrs.

Hes a champ who had a bad game, which they all do. RE: Fev

So get off his back, Im sure he will bounce back this week, after all he had been out along time, so expect him to improve as the weeks progress.

As for the goal attempt, was simply a rush of blood and he didn't need to be dragged for that.

I'm sure he realised it was stupid, the coaches where probably just sending a message to the team, for the benefit of other fowards so they don't make similar mistakes.

Robbo is a talented but selfish footballer. He has not had a sustained impact on AFL since early 2006.

As for Fevola who can and has won games in recent times, I am not so sure Carlton are that rapt with Fev either for other issues.

Robbo had the chance to put the team in closer to the Hawks. He wanted to be a show pony hero. There can be no other excuse for doing something so undisciplined and against his teammates. I know he was thinking of Robbo.

He certainly needed to be dragged and cop an earful. Problem is Robbo wont work it out that it was stupid because he has never been able to work out what committing to the team is all about. And a few supporters have not worked it out either.

Unbelievable the acceptance of what is blatant show pony. And the efforts to explain it away is more putrid than Robbo's selfish act.

As previously stated Rhino, perhaps, Rushed, Lapse of judgment or panicked, whatever descriptive word you want to use, but to label him selfish for that particular act, is unfair.

Yes he should have gone back and had a set shot, I know it, you know it, and I would dare say that even Robbo knows it. Lets move on.

Agree. But to treat the act in isolation is naive. "Rushed, Lapse of judgment or panicked" is not the term you would use for a player in his 13th season of football with a chance to do the right thing for his side and go back and kick a goal from 1 metre out. It was damn selfish. If it had been Newton or Sylvia they would have been hung on this site. No other footballer could be as self serving dumb. No other footballer woud do such a brain dead act. You can do better than be a lame apologist Rusty.

It was a crap act and a show pony cheat on the hard work of his teammates.

TimD is right about it.

.............................. I watched the tape of the Bulldogs game last week. In the last quarter Bate is running with the ball inside 50. He has two options. One, to pass to Petterd on a lead or two, kick long to Robbo. Bate does neither and the ball goes out of bounds. Robbo turns around, hands on hips, glaring back at Bate, a real Matthew Richardson-Brendan Fevola type moment. Meanwhile, a week later, Robbo has the ego to try party tricks when we're 7 goals down. Simply crap form from a veteran and a supposed club leader...................

I have always made a point of not bagging Melbourne players on here, but (sadly), I feel compelled to agree with you 100% Einstein. Robbo's actions were hypocritical in the extreme!