Ad breaks

I wasn't able to make it to the game today so I had to watch the Channel Seven coverage and to my amazement, Channel Seven did something that made it possible to hate them even more.

They went to an ad break after a behind was kicked, not a goal. I've never seen this before and it was disgusting.

They are the most pathetic organisation who really could not care less about the quality of coverage they provide.

Surely there must be guidelines that the AFL has in place that state that while the game is still in play the networks cannot cut to an ad break?

They went to an ad break after a behind was kicked, not a goal. I've never seen this before and it was disgusting.

What?!? I thought it was bad enough that they would cut to an ad break after first replaying the goal (which could take 30-60 seconds).

Channel Seven are absolutely pathetic. They turn a 2.5 hour match into a 3 hour affair, full of ads and pathetic half-time interviews. All just to make sure that people don't turn off before the news comes on.

Add to that their crap commentary team, and they become the worst football broadcasters ever.

I wasn't able to make it to the game today so I had to watch the Channel Seven coverage and to my amazement, Channel Seven did something that made it possible to hate them even more.

They are the most pathetic organisation who really could not care less about the quality of coverage they provide.

Surely there must be guidelines that the AFL has in place that state that while the game is still in play the networks cannot cut to an ad break?

You would think so. And yet they were part of a consortium that forked out $780 million for the coverage.

Record it and use the FF button. Works a treat and makes you realise how much of your life you waste putting up with invasive pulp that Russell Howcroft would laud as "informing" the consumer.

Sometimes the commentary improves when you turn the sound down! :D

Record it and use the FF button. Works a treat and makes you realise how much of your life you waste putting up with invasive pulp that Russell Howcroft would laud as "informing" the consumer.

Sometimes the commentary improves when you turn the sound down! :D

If I had the patience I would of happily watched the replay on Foxtel that night, but I don't have the patience.

so true.. when I watched it I couldn’t believe they would put an ad after a behind.. it was when robbo kicked the behind and they were half way through giving him praise... then it just cuts to ads.. then it returns to them finishing off the robbo discussion.... amazing!

I spent some time living in Brisbane in the 90's. The Friday night games would start on TV at about 11pm. And they regularly cut to adbreaks following a behind. Drove me mental.

I would've thought channel 7 melbourne would be beyond that. That's just terrible.

Once the next Round of Media Contracts are drawn up, they will be $ 1 Billion + or -. Get ready for ad breaks all over the place.

A T.V Station buys programes so they can sell ad space. That's it. The reason they pay top dollar for footy is that you & i will cop it.

No matter how many ads are on we will keep watching.

The only alternative apart from being at the game is to buy a DVD Recorder with a hard drive, that allows you to edit the ad breaks & then dump to disc.

Get used to it-it's going to get worse.

I see what you're saying WYL and I do agree, but buying the footy isn't solely buying ad space during the game.

It's about adding to your brand and selling your other tv shows so that more may watch and your overall ratings increase.

I see what you're saying WYL and I do agree, but buying the footy isn't solely buying ad space during the game.

It's about adding to your brand and selling your other tv shows so that more may watch and your overall ratings increase.

No it isn't. The bottom line in a TV station is to sell ad space. The Programmes in between the ads entice people to watch.

I worked at GTV 9 when Packer was going Full tilt & that was his message. Nothing has changed.

Why do you think 9 saturate "Underbelly" with ads. To Pay for it.

I wouldn't say it's 100%

Why would you waste two ads per set advertising for another one of your tv programs? Why would certain stations buy similar types of shows, setting up a stereotypically "channel 9/10 show"?

I wouldn't say it's 100%

Why would you waste two ads per set advertising for another one of your tv programs? Why would certain stations buy similar types of shows, setting up a stereotypically "channel 9/10 show"?

A TV station advertises its own programme so the viewer will not switch over. Much harder these days with the Remote but still happens. Also why programmes over run the allotted time.

Switch channels & the next programme has already started.

Go back to where you are. That is the Basic philosophy.

You may disagree 45 but i am only telling you what Kerry "The Goanna" Packer told me during Friday Drinks in his office back in 1986.

Fair enough.

Why can I never bury my head in the sand and just pretend to be right? Life's not fair

I have worked in TV for nearly 25 years 45. All Commercial TV Stations are the same. The Ad spaces & their prices pay the bills.

A Top Rating show will always be saturated with ads.

It is exactly why the MFC at the Moment get a crap draw.....We do not Rate....yet.

Brings me a topic that I was reflecting on last Sunday afternoon as I felt myself noticeably ageing waiting for the umpire to bounce the thing after a goal.

If the game's on Foxtel, there aren't any ads.

If it's on delay, they can delay "rejoining" the match after a goal (or point!) as long as they like.

Question: why does the umpire wait interminably for the light? Apart from the very few direct telecast free to air matches.

Oh, I put the blame squarely on Kerry Packer & channell 9 for bumping the AFL TV rights up to almost bankruptcy point, forcing Ch - 7 to match a rediculous figure to win the TV rights back.

Thats why us veiwers are put in this position.

Kerry was an avid Rugby League follower who IMO couldn't give a stuff about the health of Aussie Rules Footy.

Their utter contempt for their audience makes me sick. Take out one add and they would be able to show the team's song at the end of the match, advertise enough in advance and you can show an interstate game live while giving the loyal viewers of Better Homes and Gardens enough warning about the change (hell they might even get a few extra that turn on because they think BH&G will be shown, never underestimate the laziness of someone watching TV), and i noticed one week that they cut out about 30 seconds of GAMETIME between someone marking and kicking for goal, that is disgusting!

Oh, I put the blame squarely on Kerry Packer & channell 9 for bumping the AFL TV rights up to almost bankruptcy point, forcing Ch - 7 to match a rediculous figure to win the TV rights back.

Thats why us veiwers are put in this position.

Kerry was an avid Rugby League follower who IMO couldn't give a stuff about the health of Aussie Rules Footy.

Kerry Knew that 10 & 7 would pay the money-that's the bottom line. He knew exactly the power of Sport on TV regardless of the code. Cricket was his baby, Footy is no different-it just covers the winter months.

Kerry Knew that 10 & 7 would pay the money-that's the bottom line. He knew exactly the power of Sport on TV regardless of the code. Cricket was his baby, Footy is no different-it just covers the winter months.

Do you think 10 are sharing the per game, TV Rights cost, with 7 equally, WYL?

Do you think 10 are sharing the per game, TV Rights cost, with 7 equally, WYL?

Not sure mate- i have watched for that closely. I think 10 have the bigger pie. Channel 7 do treat the viewer as second rate.

I still havent seen the Demons sing the song after Richmond yet. Ime [censored] OFF!!!!!

What?!? I thought it was bad enough that they would cut to an ad break after first replaying the goal (which could take 30-60 seconds).

Channel Seven are absolutely pathetic. They turn a 2.5 hour match into a 3 hour affair, full of ads and pathetic half-time interviews. All just to make sure that people don't turn off before the news comes on.

Add to that their crap commentary team, and they become the worst football broadcasters ever.

I too was disgusted at the number of ads during the game. They must prove to be counter productive as who would buy into anything that was thrown at you ad nauseum. Isn't that Ultratune ad the weakest, most boring ad you have ever seen on TV? I disagree though about the commentary team as I thought Dennis Commetti and Tim Watson were singing Melbourne's praises quite a lot. They seemed to say the right thing about some of our younger blokes too and that the future was bright for us. Dennis, in particular seems to have a soft spot for the Dees.

Question: why does the umpire wait interminably for the light? Apart from the very few direct telecast free to air matches.

Outside Victoria (at least, in Tassie) all the free-to-air games are direct telecast.