Whats more important

Bruce Almighty

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do need a wining culture. Don't forget we have a very young list and we can be critical of many players, but when you see their age and their current progression, all we need is better skill. But in reality are we going to win the flag, I would say no, if you don’t come 1st, then we may as well finish last. So let’s set our side up for decades of dominance and win only 3 more games. They can be against C/wood, Carl & EFC. I would be happy and show good 4 qtr effort in every game. This may be hard to swallow for now but to see the D's back to the success of the 50's, now I’d love to see that.

Name Age @ 1st May

Bennell, Jamie 18

Blease, Sam 18

Watts, Jack 18

McKenzie, Jordie 18

Cheney, Kyle 19

Grimes, Jack 19

Jetta, Neville 19

Maric, Addam 19

McNamara, Tom 19

Morton, Cale 19

Strauss, James 19

Healey, Rhys 19

Spencer, Jake 19

Zomer, Trent 19

Bail, Rohan 20

Frawley, James 20

Jurrah, Liam 20

Wonaeamirri, Austin 20

Bartram, Clint 21

Bate, Matthew 21

Dunn, Lynden 21

Garland, Colin 21

Jones, Nathan 21

Petterd, Ricky 21

Buckley, Simon 22

Martin, Stefan 22

Meesen, John 22

Newton, Michael 22

Hughes, Danny 22

Valenti, Shane 22

McLean, Brock 23

Rivers, Jared 24

Bell, Daniel 24

Johnson, Paul A. 24

Sylvia, Colin 24

Davey, Aaron 25

Jamar, Mark 25

Miller, Brad 25

Moloney, Brent 25

Warnock, Matthew 25

Green, Brad 28

Wheatley, Paul 28

Bruce, Cameron 29

Whelan, Matthew 29

Robertson, Russell 31

McDonald, James 32

Bennell, Jamie18

Blease, Sam 18

Watts, Jack 18

Grimes, Jack 19

Jetta, Neville 19

Maric, Addam 19

Morton, Cale 19

Strauss, James 19

Bail, Rohan 20

Frawley, James 20

Jurrah, Liam 20

Wonaeamirri, Austin 20

Garland, Colin 21

Jones, Nathan 21

Rivers, Jared 21

Buckley, Simon 22

Martin, Stefan 22

Meesen, John 22

Newton, Michael 22

McLean, Brock 23

Davey, Aaron 25

Miller, Brad 25

Moloney, Brent 25

Warnock, Matthew 25

Green, Brad 28

Wheatley, Paul 28

Bruce, Cameron 29

Whelan, Matthew 29

Robertson, Russell 31

McDonald, James 32

The future, and six experienced blokes. Italics just means I'm unsure of them at this stage.

= List is looking good for 2011.

I would love to see us come out and win some games, but lets be realistic, how many games are we capable of winning?

At best we would finish with about 8 wins. Realisticly we could win 5-6. I would much rather only win 4 and get that extra pick.

In 2010 we are going to win more games and head up the ladder, finals should be our aim but we will probably finish 9th - 12th. Normally giving us a good mid range first round pick. GC17 will push this pick back. Which makes it even more vital for us to get that extra pick this year!

Pick 1,2 and 17. Scully, Butcher, Young ruck. Rebuild complete

At the start of the year I would have said win win win, a winning culture is just as important as draft picks - refer richmond, they have a very good list on paper and where are they ATM?.

However 4 games in has changed my mind some what. If we can string together 4 or more wins by mid season I still think we should go for it and see if we can get another 6 in the second half and be knocking on the door. However if we have less then 4 wins at mid point play for the draft picks!

This years draft is not as strong as the last couple, they'll be a big difference between the top 3 picks and the rest of the top 10.

At this point last year, Jack Watts was not even touted as No 1 pick.

Lots can change and players can emerge.

I think statements like that are pre mature and should be taken with caution.

Overall, our target should be the development of what we have. If the players are good to have win a number of games that puts in contention for top 8 then why hold them back?

Alternatively, there will need to be an assessment of the playing group (mid year) to determine strengths and deficiencies and how we improve that through the draft. MFC will need to plot and plan how use the rest of the season to test younger players, transition out older players and develop a final position on borderline players.

Alternatively, there will need to be an assessment of the playing group (mid year) to determine strengths and deficiencies and how we improve that through the draft. MFC will need to plot and plan how use the rest of the season to test younger players, transition out older players and develop a final position on borderline players.

The worst thing IMO that can happen this year is 5 or 6 wins, 4 or less and there is a prize, 7 or more and the group gets a bit of pride and confidence.

We do need a wining culture. Don't forget we have a very young list and we can be critical of many players, but when you see their age and their current progression, all we need is better skill. But in reality are we going to win the flag, I would say no, if you don’t come 1st, then we may as well finish last. So let’s set our side up for decades of dominance and win only 3 more games. They can be against C/wood, Carl & EFC. I would be happy and show good 4 qtr effort in every game. This may be hard to swallow for now but to see the D's back to the success of the 50's, now I’d love to see that.

Name Age @ 1st May

Bartram, Clint 21

Bate, Matthew 21

Dunn, Lynden 21

Garland, Colin 21

Jones, Nathan 21

Petterd, Ricky 21

Rivers, Jared 21

Jared Rivers is 24, turning 25 in October this year - if only he was still 21!

At this point last year, Jack Watts was not even touted as No 1 pick.

Lots can change and players can emerge.

I think statements like that are pre mature and should be taken with caution.

Overall, our target should be the development of what we have. If the players are good to have win a number of games that puts in contention for top 8 then why hold them back?

Perhaps, but you can't deny that the strength and depth of this draft is clearly going to be affected because of the increase of the age requirements.

This years draft is not as strong as the last couple, they'll be a big difference between the top 3 picks and the rest of the top 10.

Maybe not as strong as last year, but certainly some good players cropping up below the trio of Scully, Butcher and Lucas. Inside/outisde mid Allen Christensen's been in stunning form for Geelong (BOG in the first 3 games), and intriguing tall Jack Fitzpatrick bagged five on the weekend. Add Koby Stevens and Jake Melksham and one or two others and the top ten looks full of talent, but think (unlike last year) the dropoff after that will be more apparent than the previous pool. Thank GC 17 taking all of the 17 year olds.

Guest petjud

I cannot believe some of the sentiments expressed in the posts here, let's not win, let's play for the draft picks.........this is utter rubbish..I want Melbourne to go out every week looking to win........

The draft has always been and always will be a lottery, it is littered with picks who did not go on, a good junior player is not necessarily a good AFL player

Also the need for instant success is leading more and more to the top picks being played too early and then suffering the consequences....Cotchin anybody?

If all the players can click on the same day, we are capable of winning any game....apart from St Kilda and Geelong at the moment the ladder is very even...........look at West Coast.......smashed one week, touched up the Bulldogs the next.

I believe the win on Richmond, no matter how we acheived it will do wonders for the group and the confidence, we now remember what it is like to win and how it feels.

If you are not interested in winning, don't post on the board, don't read the newspapers and don't watch, your next important day is in October on draft day....

Whats more important?

Winning a couple of games or getting picks 1 and 2?

With the new teams coming in this is the only time that i dont mind if we lose as long as we are competive.

I still love it when we win, seeing the boys faces after the game was awesome.

tough question though

Whats more important of the two? Having a happy birthday party celebration, or being happy & content for the following years?

i'd rather be consistently content, than a euphoric night.

Keep up the List Management..

Whats more important?

Winning a couple of games or getting picks 1 and 2?

With the new teams coming in this is the only time that i dont mind if we lose as long as we are competive.

I still love it when we win, seeing the boys faces after the game was awesome.

tough question though

Seen our draw in the next 8-odd rounds?

I don't think winning too many games is going to be an issue for the Melbourne Footy Club.

I'm betting on Geelong having a shocker this week and coming out to smash us in a fortnight .. . . seems to be a pattern developing.

I really think it is a non-issue. I hope we play everygame with an eye to win, but I truly see 4 wins is the best we can hope for. From the form we've seen so far, the only two teams I think we are capable of beating are Fremantle (in Melbourne) and Richmond. We may get other wins on a day when we play at our best and the other teams plays poorly (maybe against WCE and Essendon).

For whats its worth though, I don't like the idea of losing specifically to gain draft picks, but do see the sense in doing whatever is required to secure the future. If a player needs surgery, give it to him so he can be ready to start the next pre-season. If young players needs AFL gametime to continue their development, let them have it, even if they haven't completely earned their spot. I know it is a very fine line, but I like to see early draft picks as a bonus rather than an objective.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I think we should just go out and try to win every game we can but realistically we are not going to win that many. We still can't string 4 q's together - just look at the lead we surrendered in the Richmond game - but we will scare some teams with some quality quarters. The most interesting thing for me is who comes off our list to make room for the top picks if we get them. I can see a couple of retirements but most of the others are still young enough to have upsides.

I think we should just go out and try to win every game we can but realistically we are not going to win that many. We still can't string 4 q's together - just look at the lead we surrendered in the Richmond game - but we will scare some teams with some quality quarters. The most interesting thing for me is who comes off our list to make room for the top picks if we get them. I can see a couple of retirements but most of the others are still young enough to have upsides.

Well said. We won't need to be concerned about not getting a priority draft pick. We've had one win - yes it was great but realistically we won two of four quarters and beat a very poor opposition by 8 points. If Richo had kicked 6.3 instead of 4.5 we lose. Sure we missed goals as well and a win is a win when we have been as bad as we have been. When we do get back some of our more experienced players (McDonald, Robbo, Whelan, Jamar and now Green) we will be more competitive and we may well get to 4 wins by seasons end.

But by no stretch are we on the move up the ladder. There are plenty more horrible days ahead. Let's just hope that we don't get embarrassed by Geelong or a rampant St.Kilda on the gold coast or for that matter any other team that is "red hot" when we play them.

At the start of the year I would have said win win win, a winning culture is just as important as draft picks - refer richmond, they have a very good list on paper and where are they ATM?.

However 4 games in has changed my mind some what. If we can string together 4 or more wins by mid season I still think we should go for it and see if we can get another 6 in the second half and be knocking on the door. However if we have less then 4 wins at mid point play for the draft picks!

A very good list on paper? I think they're finding out just how good they're list is now. Some recruiting experts say Melbourne's list is more advanced in a premiership tilt than Richmond's.

Whats more important of the two? Having a happy birthday party celebration, or being happy & content for the following years?

i'd rather be consistently content, than a euphoric night.

Keep up the List Management..

Interesting slant dee-luded. I agree as long as we're competitive week in, week out.

The most interesting thing for me is who comes off our list to make room for the top picks if we get them. I can see a couple of retirements but most of the others are still young enough to have upsides.

Yeah, I was doing a bit of crystal ball gazing and was wondering how many & specifically who we drop from the list this year to make room for recruits?

AND THEN who do we drop the following year to make room for the next crop? Our list will be so young, we'll be giving up on some players before they've reached 22 and denying them the chance to develop over time like a Newton or a Warnock.

Yeah, I was doing a bit of crystal ball gazing and was wondering how many & specifically who we drop from the list this year to make room for recruits?

AND THEN who do we drop the following year to make room for the next crop? Our list will be so young, we'll be giving up on some players before they've reached 22 and denying them the chance to develop over time like a Newton or a Warnock.

Yes a curious problem indeed, how many players do we need to make room for?

Assuming we get a priority pick, and that we want to have a PS pick, at least 5 I would say. Also consider we might want to promote a rookie maybe?

1,2,18,34, PS1... are definates (5)

50 + rookie listed player are maybes. (+2)

................................ The most interesting thing for me is who comes off our list to make room for the top picks if we get them. I can see a couple of retirements but most of the others are still young enough to have upsides.

Excellent point. Too early (and probably unfair) to speculate here, but a thought provoking hypothetical would be .......... if the season ended now, who would be the 5 or 6 to make way??

Which players have good skills by hand's & feet's, :huh: , & which don't? Which players have enough speed & which have the required ruggedness? Who has the hurt factor?

Excellent point. Too early (and probably unfair) to speculate here, but a thought provoking hypothetical would be .......... if the season ended now, who would be the 5 or 6 to make way??

I dont want to be the man who is stuck with that dilemma.

NcNamara and Jamar probably the first names that comes to mind.

Robbo could retire also?

I know this is somewhat silly for speculation so early into the season, and yes I want a win every to the Holy Grail, but I want successful decades. If we are in a position with kids just at the cutting edge and not making the penultimate, then this gives us better trade options. It is already a strong roomer the Pavlich wants to come back to Vic. Now wouldn’t he look nice with Watts in our future forward line!!

I know this is somewhat silly for speculation so early into the season, and yes I want a win every to the Holy Grail, but I want successful decades. If we are in a position with kids just at the cutting edge and not making the penultimate, then this gives us better trade options. It is already a strong roomer the Pavlich wants to come back to Vic. Now wouldn’t he look nice with Watts in our future forward line!!

When did Pavlich ever play in Victoria?