Dean Bailey on before the game

MelbournePassion

Jack Watts has started his first game for the Casey reserves tonight getting a few kicks and copping one early in the Chin. Casey down by 30 points, but Jack has put in a respectable effort and has done the job.

I`m not sure they didn`t say. Does anyone know if Watts kicked any?

He kicked 1 and gave off a couple that he could of kicked. Worked his way into the game and started to turn it on In the 3rd taking a few good grabs working across CHF. Did anyone else see Danny Hughes take that screamer? Great grab!

He kicked 1 and gave off a couple that he could of kicked. Worked his way into the game and started to turn it on In the 3rd taking a few good grabs working across CHF. Did anyone else see Danny Hughes take that screamer? Great grab!

Really, put both Watts and Hughes both in the Casey seniors. I want Watts do get a game as early as possible, copping a bit from my mates because on the show, "on the couch" It mentioned that Jack Watts Is one of the few number 1 draft picks to not get a game round 1 when he has no Injury, but he still does go to school and is still only 17. The show on the couch were terrible by saying "Bailey isn`t doing the right thing by this, they need to get some game time into him", and then later on said that he is playing for Sandringham reserves this week, when it is actually the CASEY RESERVES. These shows bearly know anything about us.

Think you are talking about Before the Game.

BT was ripping in a bit about Watts and comparing him to previous #1 picks. All have debuted in year 1, think 12 games was the minimum. Nothing like making your own history though.

I was listening to Triple M as well. Yea, BT was saying that there had only been one number 1 draft pick who hadn't debuted in their opening year and then talking him down saying he should play and so on.

Half the posters on this board would give better advice regarding matters to do with the MFC.

Some journos just talk for the sake of it, forever thinking their inane thoughts just haved to be heard.

Taylor, Shaw, Pickering, and Robinson are the worst.

BTW, to those impatient to see Watts: Nick Riewoldt played 6 games in his first year.

Jack is a kid, and he ain't built like Daniel Rich.

In fact, that's why we got him...

Poor example. He was injured.

True, but every other draftee is a poor example when compared to Jack... Jack is the only one on that list who was still at high school, who therefore hasn't done all the training... Now you might have gotten away with a limited pre-season like that 10 years ago, but with the pace of the game the way it is now there's no way you would get away with it...

Bailey has been saying from the moment we picked him that his devoplment will not be rapid this year due to his school commitments, i have no idea why these people are talking about it. Must be a really slow day for football issues.

Ultimately, he is young and very raw. If we wanted a walk up start we would've picked Rich.

Does anyone think we made the wrong choice?

That's tongue in cheek......surely??

Really, put both Watts and Hughes both in the Casey seniors. I want Watts do get a game as early as possible, copping a bit from my mates because on the show, "on the couch" It mentioned that Jack Watts Is one of the few number 1 draft picks to not get a game round 1 when he has no Injury, but he still does go to school and is still only 17. The show on the couch were terrible by saying "Bailey isn`t doing the right thing by this, they need to get some game time into him", and then later on said that he is playing for Sandringham reserves this week, when it is actually the CASEY RESERVES. These shows bearly know anything about us.

Ironically earlier in the show they were lauding the playing ability of Dangerfield for Adelaide and he was in the exact same situation as Watts (last year when he did year 12 in Melbourne). I realise Dangerfield wasn't "the" #1 draft pick like Watts but he was still Adelaide's first pick at pick 10 in 2007 so still an important player. Of course, many of the nuffys in the media don't realise these things they just comment on impulse most of the time.

Think you are talking about Before the Game.

BT was ripping in a bit about Watts and comparing him to previous #1 picks. All have debuted in year 1, think 12 games was the minimum. Nothing like making your own history though.

It was from AFL Teams on Thursday night, repeated on Friday afternoon.

BT was rabbiting on about the No.1 picks and how Melbourne must be "spinning a line" with their reasons why Watts hadn't yet been picked. Then, after ranting that Melbourne had to play Watts, he punched a hole in his own argument when he stupidly claimed "My information is that he's simply not ready to play." Liam Pickering and Leigh Colbert slapped him down.

It was Colby who said Watts would be playing for Sandy.

That wasn't the only mistake. Their research was both dodgy, and rubbish: See here.

Poor example. He was injured.

Not such a bad example really. Riewoldt was injured because wasn't ready to absorb the hits he received. He was a young player, with an immature body, that was targeted by opposition CHB's.

I think the management of JW is more than appropriate and I would rather he stays focussed on school, continues to build his body and is eased into the tempo of AFL footy. There are no surprises here and BT is a dill. The club flagged its strategy to manage Jack's welfare on draft day.

When he does play, he will be a marked man. He needs to be fully prepared for the inevitable physical attention he will receive. Having said all that, I am sure the the young man will be more than equal to the challenge, when he is ready.

I am sure the wait will be well worth it.