Our Home The Melbourne Cricket Ground-WE ARE BACK...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I missed anything? All in 8 and a half months.

Got rid of the abhorrent silver clash guernsey (I think that happened under Stynes, but correct me if wrong)

Listened to fans and created a predominantly red jumper instead (even if it seems as though we'll be wearing the white one more often)

No need to slag anyone else off under the banner of such great news. It is such a positive, lets just be happy with that and let sleeping dogs you know what.

. . . lose to the Melbourne Demons?

But seriously, I'm pumped about this. I even called up my family who have no interest in football last night to tell them the BIG NEWS. Believe it or not they couldn't have cared less. But that doesn't make me any less excited. Go Dees.

You are Correct but i still wanted a straight answer from Hazy!!

Anyway today is a new Day at the Oldest Sporting Organization on Earth.

Hazy can answer for himself but he is on the record for congratulating the current administration for many of the sponsorship initiatives.

But for any administration it is reasonable to ask questions about outcomes and accountability for these.

Its a pretty dim world if that process cannot proceed in society.

Nevertheless, Stynes and Co have indeed done well in a number of areas and should be congratulated.

However, they dont deserve their public supporters gloating with some misplaced sense of superiority.

Got rid of the abhorrent silver clash guernsey (I think that happened under Stynes, but correct me if wrong)

Listened to fans and created a predominantly red jumper instead (even if it seems as though we'll be wearing the white one more often)

The process that Stynes undertook was professional and smart to this. His inclusiveness of supporters has been good.

But blind Freddy would have moved heaven and earth to get rid of that terrible soulless piece of knitted polyester.

I heartily endorse the positive posts above, and I particularly laud Jim Stynes for his fantastic efforts.

I do wonder, though, how the complicated interaction between the MCC, the MFC, and the Stadium deal arrangement can pan out.

We must bear in mind that the MCC committee(???and the government-influenced MCC Trust) must represent fairly not just the 25% of MCC Members who support the Demons, but also those who support other clubs.

As an MCC Member, if I,(God forbid), barracked for Richmond, I'd want equal favours given to my Club....or perhaps on a pro-rata basis. With Essendon, this would amount to half our benefits.

I know that there's a fair bit of partiality to the Dees on the current MCC committee,(long may it continue), but it worries me that a lobby group could evolve that opposes favouritism to Melbourne. Presumably we should always keep the balance of power due to us having the highest proportion of supporters.

It's going to be a very intricate problem to sort out the stadium deals(which so far have been so unfair to Melbourne, and the other tenants), now that one tenant is in a privileged position. The other tenants must be a bit miffed.

What does the MCC think about Melbourne's distant hopes for a boutique stadium in South Gippsland?

CEO Steve Gough's a Carlscum devotee, but he has to do what he's told by his committee.

Don't forget that the MFC was except for the last 30 years a section of the MCC. We are just returning.

Also what is good for the MFC will be good for the MCC. MFC successful=bigger attendances=more income for MCC.

Don't forget that the MFC was except for the last 30 years a section of the MCC. We are just returning.

Also what is good for the MFC will be good for the MCC. MFC successful=bigger attendances=more income for MCC.

It is wonderful to have the MFC reinstated formally with the MCC. In hindsight the separation should never have occurred and would not have if we had not had to go into debt to buy Templeton's dodgy knees!

If the term "margin loan" had been invented back in 1980 it would definitely have been one. Was well less than a marginal deal for the MFC and we have been paying for it for 29 years!

Agree with earlier sentiment that all MFC supporters (and those of us who are also MCC members should just take the positives of this announcement and take it as just a restoration of the correct order and realignment which is positive for both MFC and MCC.

There is no immediate impact here, but that is not the point; it is all about getting the image across that we are a strong vibrant club which embraces its past and looks towards a bright future. Changing perceptions is a long slow process; and that is what this is all about. The benefits will be substantial, in the longer term.

Jimma has just one of his four big anouncements to go. They were supposed to be made by round one, but who cares, so long as they get done. The missing one is the announcement of the agreement with Casey, which may well have been dependent upon the MCC announcement. Everybody seems to be assuming that the deal is done, MFC are saying we are at Casey for the long run, Casey are saying that we are there; just get the deal done.

One of the biggest things is now when people want to see if we are good value to sponsor/ back finacially etc, they will know that by sponsoring us they are ina round about way also sponsoring the MCC and the little perks that could fall their way might sway them to us, not the 15 other crappy clubs.

However, they dont deserve their public supporters gloating with some misplaced sense of superiority.

Well put Rhino,

This near cult of Stynes manifesting itself on these boards is slightly irritating and potentially concerning – if only for the fact that unquestioning adulation often turns to blind denigration when things don’t go according to plan or materialise as promised. Neither extreme is of much use in building constructive dialogue.

The view that Stynes has saved the club in some messianic act is somewhat limited to the grander reality. Our debt would not have been significantly reduced had Melbourne’s supporters not been prepared to taken on the responsibility of “demolishing” it. One man hasn’t saved the club, the “Club” has helped save itself (talk in the past tense is premature).

Don’t misinterpret this, I understand and greatly appreciate the role that Stynes has played in the last few months. The club has needed a figure around which to coalesce and it seems as if Stynes has been it. He’s been central to the recent unified and focused approach of the club, which is no small task. He appears to have brought a talented and capable board to the party (again something we haven’t enjoyed for some time), but it is an ‘appears’ up to this point.

The results achieved thus far have been pleasing, but Stynes and co have largely been able to trade on goodwill, promise and symbolism. Sterner and truer tests are to come.

Whilst the realignment with the MCC sounds reassuring (though the detailed outcomes we can expect haven’t been publicised yet), the vision Stynes was pushing yesterday of a global force is chimerical. Happily however this is not an outcome we require. Not for me are the utopian dreams of national or global supremacy, I’ll settle for a well run, financially secure club that enjoys intermittent on-field success (given the way the competition is now structured, that’s about as good as it gets).

Whether or not Stynes is able to assist in the realisation of this is yet to be seen. Though his start has been a good one, I’m not going to bestow an early verdict of saviour upon him.

Resist the temptation for immediate analysis and evaluation. You’ll find you’re more likely to arrive at meaningful assessments if you do.

Hazy can answer for himself but he is on the record for congratulating the current administration for many of the sponsorship initiatives.

That said, the silence is DEAFENING.

He and wing joined within a day or two of our 150th birthday celebrations at Crown when it became apparent that there was to be a Board challenge. From the moment they started posting they showed dissent to the new guard whilst lavishly praising the old guard.

They referred to the Hankook sponsorship as being minor, Kaspersky then came along but they tried to ridicule the circumstances of the deal despite the supporter at the coal face stating how impressed his APAC boss was with Stynes and his social work, and these factors were instrumental in Kaspersky becoming involved. We then announced a third new sponsorship with Betezy, but I've heard nothing.

Now, we are clearly talking about 2 very passionate Demons here Rhino, so surely they'd like to shout from the rafters on these forums about how happy they are about the third sponsorship and now the not so trivial matter of the MFC rejoining the MCC. Yet not a whimper.

And Fan even lauds them for their balanced contribution.

Please...

EDIT:

And now Ho Chi Min gives us more of the 'hero worship' insinuations just as Hazy and wing did before him. Hmm. Are you thinking what I'm thinking B2 ? It seems that anyone that has a modicum of satisfaction in what Stynes and co have done to date runs the risk of being labelled 'starstruck'.

EDIT:

And now Ho Chi Min gives us more of the 'hero worship' insinuations just as Hazy and wing did before him. Hmm. Are you thinking what I'm thinking B2 ? It seems that anyone that has a modicum of satisfaction in what Stynes and co have done to date run the risk of being labelled 'starstruck'.

EDIT:

And now Ho Chi Min gives us more of the 'hero worship' insinuations just as Hazy and wing did before him. Hmm. Are you thinking what I'm thinking B2 ? It seems that anyone that has a modicum of satisfaction in what Stynes and co have done to date run the risk of being labelled 'starstruck'.

I ask for resistance to premature evaluation and I'm instantly categorised. sigh. Predictable though. Although your conclusions are little paranoid and simplisitc for you H.

No, I'm not Hazy nor wing. Nor do I care much for their obvious flag waving of pre-Stynes administrations.

I wasn't implying you shouldn't have your modicum of satisfaction. This board have thus far done a commendable job. Their start has provided greater leadership and delivered better results than previous boards of recent memory. I am feeling more confident in the direction the club is headed than 12 months ago.

However to declare the task of saving the club has already been achieved though is getting carried away. I thought posters such as yourself might have been able to see the more extreme sentiments my post was targeting. Perhaps that was being kind.

Is that clearer for you B1?

Now that is a balanced appraisal. Well done

I'm glad to hear this fantastically good news! :)

The MFC and the MCC have been linked for a lot longer than they have been apart and it was about time they re-joined forces. It will put the MFC in a stronger position in the long run.

In my opinion, that is another box ticked off in a long list of things that needed to be done to get the Melbourne Football Club in better shape.

Congratulations Jim Stynes and Cameron Schwab. Keep up the good work! :)

All we need to do now is sort out our 30 year partnership with the City of Casey down at Casey Fields and then once the club is financially stable then we can start concentrating our efforts on winning AFL Premierships! :D

EDIT:

No, I'm not Hazy nor wing. Nor do I care much for their obvious flag waving of pre-Stynes administrations.

A more verbose response than needed, but I accept your sentiments, although I don't fit into the "club has been saved" brigade.

Also, I'm far from paranoid. What was your last alias ?

:lol:

I do wonder, though, how the complicated interaction between the MCC, the MFC, and the Stadium deal arrangement can pan out.

It is wonderful to have the MFC reinstated formally with the MCC. In hindsight the separation should never have occurred and would not have if we had not had to go into debt to buy Templeton's dodgy knees!

Ok. Like everyone else, I was overjoyed to hear this news. In fact, I probably would have been about one tenth as excited had we made the finals this year as I am about this news.

That said, I have a couple of concerns that I might need some help explaining. I'd love to know (perhaps from you TM) why, exactly, the two organisations split back in 1980. I was born that year, so I'm going to need some info. Was there some sort of rift? Was it believed at the time it was better that we stand on our own two feet? Was it financial? I think, regardless of this, it's a good thing that we go back to our roots, and to be honest, a bit of behind-the-scenes involvement from the MCC might be a good thing. But could this be considered, in the many years the club has been around, a backward step?

Also, as JJC pointed out, I feel there might be some more trouble from rival clubs, especially if we rise to the kind of prominence we had in the fifties, where Melbourne footy club was basically the most powerful football force ever... I'm not saying we'll get there, but I'm certain other clubs would have to be a bit peeved that an organisation they pour money into is feeding directly to a rival club.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I've seen enough false dawns.

A more verbose response than needed, but I accept your sentiments, although I don't fit into the "club has been saved" brigade.

Also, I'm far from paranoid. What was your last alias ?

:lol:

Well H, given how verbose my original post was and still having it misinterpreted, I thought it best to err on the side of caution :lol:

As for my prvious alias, it was many, many a year ago and something like La Fonatine, but not one hundred percent sure, it was rarely used.

Well H, given how verbose my original post was and still having it misinterpreted, I thought it best to err on the side of

Nah, it was interpreted just fine. I just don't like condescending crap :)

Well put Rhino,

This near cult of Stynes manifesting itself on these boards is slightly irritating and potentially concerning – if only for the fact that unquestioning adulation often turns to blind denigration when things don’t go according to plan or materialise as promised. Neither extreme is of much use in building constructive dialogue.

The view that Stynes has saved the club in some messianic act is somewhat limited to the grander reality. Our debt would not have been significantly reduced had Melbourne’s supporters not been prepared to taken on the responsibility of “demolishing” it. One man hasn’t saved the club, the “Club” has helped save itself (talk in the past tense is premature).

Don’t misinterpret this, I understand and greatly appreciate the role that Stynes has played in the last few months. The club has needed a figure around which to coalesce and it seems as if Stynes has been it. He’s been central to the recent unified and focused approach of the club, which is no small task. He appears to have brought a talented and capable board to the party (again something we haven’t enjoyed for some time), but it is an ‘appears’ up to this point.

The results achieved thus far have been pleasing, but Stynes and co have largely been able to trade on goodwill, promise and symbolism. Sterner and truer tests are to come.

Whilst the realignment with the MCC sounds reassuring (though the detailed outcomes we can expect haven’t been publicised yet), the vision Stynes was pushing yesterday of a global force is chimerical. Happily however this is not an outcome we require. Not for me are the utopian dreams of national or global supremacy, I’ll settle for a well run, financially secure club that enjoys intermittent on-field success (given the way the competition is now structured, that’s about as good as it gets).

Whether or not Stynes is able to assist in the realisation of this is yet to be seen. Though his start has been a good one, I’m not going to bestow an early verdict of saviour upon him.

Resist the temptation for immediate analysis and evaluation. You’ll find you’re more likely to arrive at meaningful assessments if you do.

I get the impression that you are waiting for Jim & Co to fail. I want them to win as i think at the time they took over last year the alternative was oblivion.

I think you'll find if you re-read my posts that I'm not waiting for anything of the sort.

I stated that Stynes has been the figurehead around which passion has united (though that sounds very Mills and Boon).

All I'm saying is that we are yet to see whether we can stand independtly, away from strings-attached financial assistance.

Believe me, I hope they don't fail. We can't choose that route too many more times.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
I think you'll find if you re-read my posts that I'm not waiting for anything of the sort.

I stated that Stynes has been the figurehead around which passion has united (though that sounds very Mills and Boon).

All I'm saying is that we are yet to see whether we can stand independtly, away from strings-attached financial assistance.

Believe me, I hope they don't fail. We can't choose that route too many more times.

we cant stand independent, hence the MCC agreement .

Fair enough Ho Chi, but i think Jim is more than a figure head. He was stung into action after Kennett made the "Melbourne must move to the Gold Coast" comment. If he had not reacted to that comment i firmly believe we would now be in the Gold Coast or dead. The Gardner Regime had run out of steam, the way the debt was spiraling shows they had lost control.

This could be our last chance, but if the Board gets it right we will be set & a lot stronger than a good number of other victorian clubs.

Ultimately we need wins & members Imagine if 60,000 Melbourne members showed up to the 'G for a Home Game in 10 years time-it is possible, we can fit them in. That amount of Red & Blue would make a hell of a noise & the visiting team would feel awful!

I remember in 2004 when the Members stand was being built, Walking from the Members Carpark on Queens Birthday the Great Southern Stand was Full and you could see it as we were Driving in. Loads of Red & Blue-Looked Incredible. We can fill the 'G in time, just like Adelaide do it over there. I am Hoping that Jim & Co along with the MCC have the same Vision.

we cant stand independent, hence the MCC agreement .

Correct, we can't stand independent - however, we might be able to stand independently.

I was referring more to AFL financial assistance. And please don't bother diverting into lengthy discourse about why the club needs such assistance. I understand.

The club however will never be safe (let alone saved as so many of the millenarian-inclined here love to believe has already occured) until we are able to significantly reduce the need for financial injections from the AFL. That will be a long and difficult road. To begin with, we need to be able to consistently make profits given the assistance we already receive. Whilst the current proclamations broadcasted from the AFL are 10-team-Melbourne-friendly, I'm not banking on that be a constant.

And yes for the record, the MCC agreement is a great move, even if it is only symbolic (it may take a while to figure out what it translates to in a material sense).