Benelle

Jetta

Jones

Cheney

Missing out

Dunn

Meesen

Martin

If true im happy and excited about that.

Martin being the unlucky one

I am amazed that Moloney is in the side as his preseason form has not been anything to write home about.

You must be easily shocked.

Moloney is in the leadership group, drew even in the clinches against the bulldogs, and led the 'white' midfield (which was dominated by our young midfielders) in the intra-club game.

Considering this thread has been dominated by talk of a talented and mis-guided Colin Sylvia, it can be lost on people that while he may be more talented a player than someone like Brent Moloney, he doesn't give as much and will never be as important to the MFC.

They both have been frustrated by injuries over the last 3 years and they both haven't completed pre-season training until this year.

But only one of them is a leader of men, only one of them has finished in the top 5 in the B+F, and only one of them is playing for Melbourne on the weekend.

I know for a fact that the bench for sunday is

Benelle

Jetta

Jones

Cheney

Missing out

Dunn

Meesen

Martin

I hope these guy do make, but it is a very short bench, and does not give us many options if Nth are killing us in the air. At least Dunn and Martain are marking options.

All I hope for is a FOUR quater game and we dont go missing for a quarter as usual!

You must be easily shocked.

Moloney is in the leadership group, drew even in the clinches against the bulldogs, and led the 'white' midfield (which was dominated by our young midfielders) in the intra-club game.

Considering this thread has been dominated by talk of a talented and mis-guided Colin Sylvia, it can be lost on people that while he may be more talented a player than someone like Brent Moloney, he doesn't give as much and will never be as important to the MFC.

He has done little in the three games I have seen. Not disputing his leadership or work ethic or saying Sylvia should get a game ahead of him. In fact I endorse Sylvia missing. I just dont rate the football ability of Moloney. He is a plodder, poor defensively and although a long kick rarely targets it to affect.

Mark Thompsons rates (or at least rated) him so that counts for something.

I've always been a big fan of Moloney (predominantly his aggression). He's not super quick but I wouldn't quite call him a plodder. His kicking is a bit of a concern in today's game though

Thompson rated him that much that he traded him.........

Guest petjud
He has done little in the three games I have seen. Not disputing his leadership or work ethic or saying Sylvia should get a game ahead of him. In fact I endorse Sylvia missing. I just dont rate the football ability of Moloney. He is a plodder, poor defensively and although a long kick rarely targets it to affect.

Moloney's job will be to stop the opposition getting the ball quickly out of stoppages, this is part of what killed us last year, he is also steady will help keep the panic levels down when we back ourselves into a corner, making sure we get out of there without turning it over. Also he intimidates, I for one would not like to be a oppoisition midfielder about to receive a quick handball out of a stoppage knowing that Moloney is about to try and break me in half......he will also I am sure make sure whoever tags McLean will not get any easy shots on him.....there is a need for players like him in every team

I have to say, I don't mind who makes the final cut, so long as it's not Meesen. And Dunn probably shouldn't play. Other than that, any combination of Martin, Jones, Jetta, Bennell and Cheney would suit me.

I can see the argument for leaving Martin out, but I worry that we're putting all our eggs in the one basket with Warnock. If he can't hold Hale, our next best option is Rivers, which would rob us of serious counter-attack options.

Hale's not that good. I'm happy to place our confidence in Warnock. Garland and Rivers will help out. It shouldn't be that bad a problem.

Mark Thompsons rates (or at least rated) him so that counts for something.

You're kidding. :rolleyes:

I've always been a big fan of Moloney (predominantly his aggression). He's not super quick but I wouldn't quite call him a plodder. His kicking is a bit of a concern in today's game though

He's one paced and his kicking is a concern because of his poor decision making at times when he has the ball.

Looks like we will have 4 players debuting this week, Spencer, Bennell, Jetta and Cheney there is a link to a Jake Spencer interview on the MFC website and it looks like the 4 had jumpers presented today and will play.

Final Squad

B: J.Rivers, M.Warnock, C.Bartram

HB: C.Garland, J.Frawley, B.Green

C:A.Davey, B.McLean, B.Moloney

HF:C.Bruce, P.Johnson, C.Morton

FB: Miller, M.Bate, R.Petterd

Foll: J.Spencer, J.McDonald, S.Buckley

I/C : S.Martin, K.Cheney, L.Dunn, J.Meesen

Emer: N.Jones, N.Jetta, J.Bennell

Final Squad

B: J.Rivers, M.Warnock, C.Bartram

HB: C.Garland, J.Frawley, B.Green