• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne vs North Melbourne Teams

Bates Mate

The two Bunbury boys will play so my bench is Jones, Bennell, Jetta, Cheney.

Sylvia is in our best 22 he just is being taught another lesson and for people to suggest he isn't in our best 22 those people have no idea about football

So obviously I and others have no idea about football because we disagree with your opinion on Sylvia.

Just for the record could you tell me how many times he has been our best player in a game. How was his pre-season this year? Another poster has mentioned his goal kicking stat of .07 goals per game, do you think that is a good one for a player who plays up forward? He is not a midfielder because he doesn't have the engine, so where else do you see him playing? Lastly, based on what statistic or performance do you say guarantees Colin a place in the team every week?

I actually think he is a player of potential rather than performance and has largely wasted his first 5 years of AFL football.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not 100% of all facts however alot of 2008 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft pick will play this round. From the early team listing we have no 4 (Bennel) and 5 (Jetta) as possibles. If these kids cut it, and with Watt, Bleese, Strauss (1,2 & 3) to come and a few seniors (Robbo, Sylvia, Wheelan, Wheatly, Bell, Newton) and the up and comers (Womma, Jurrah, Grimes, Marric) There will be no certs for spots in the team. The pressure to hold you spot will be great, and work out the men from the boys. I think were have a lot to look forward to with some 13 players viaing for a spot when fit.

As the add says "It may not happen over night BUT IT WILL HAPPEN"

Go Dee's

While I agree that Sylvia is probably in our best 18, people need to consider that he's not actually competing with all of the 18 players who got picked.

Look at the backline. Five of the players play completely different roles (four tall defenders, one tagger). It is irrelevant whether or not Sylvia is better than any of them, because they're not competing for the same place. He is probably similar enough to Green to vie for a spot with him, but anyone in their right mind would agree that Green >>>> Sylvia.

Sylvia doesn't have the motor to play midfield for extended periods, so he wasn't competing for a role there (in any case, everyone except arguably Moloney and Buckley are head and shoulders above Sylvia).

The forward line is full of marking types except Bruce and Petterd. Bruce of course is well ahead of Sylvia at this stage. Sylvia might be a nose ahead of Petterd right now, but the discrepancy isn't great; Petterd has shown almost as much in his few games as Sylvia has, has made all the right noises over the pre-season and is skilled, courageous and has been hailed as a possible future leader. For a team on the rebuild and given where both players are at right now, I think it makes more sense to play Petterd on Sunday than Sylvia.

So out of the definite starters, he is basically competing with Green and Petterd, both of whom make more sense than him.

I think his missing out was a combination of merit (or lack thereof) and penance for his recent behavior (if not for his recent conduct I'm sure he'd get a spot on the interchange). He'll be back, and hopefully a little wiser and hungrier for the experience.

That's the point, he isn't. He should be, but he isn't. Maybe he should apply himself to get there.

I am more upset about Aussie, Grimes and even Maric not playing.

Yeah, so am I. Can't help bad luck with injuries. ie Grimes (back)

Hale's the worry. He kills us. Stef Martin seems the logical match-up. He would monster Garland, Warnock and Rivers. Stop supply to him and we're a chance.

Hale & Pace..........hehe.......I mean Hale & Petrie.

Guys. If Dean Bailey was right about the whole pre season then we need to be debuting players that are ready such as cheney jetta and bennel, actually I was surprised that Bail didn't even make the squad I thought he showed something this pre season. All pre season it has been about youth so give them a go.

While I agree that Sylvia is probably in our best 18, people need to consider that he's not actually competing with all of the 18 players who got picked.

Look at the backline. Five of the players play completely different roles (four tall defenders, one tagger). It is irrelevant whether or not Sylvia is better than any of them, because they're not competing for the same place. He is probably similar enough to Green to vie for a spot with him, but anyone in their right mind would agree that Green >>>> Sylvia.

Sylvia doesn't have the motor to play midfield for extended periods, so he wasn't competing for a role there (in any case, everyone except arguably Moloney and Buckley are head and shoulders above Sylvia).

The forward line is full of marking types except Bruce and Petterd. Bruce of course is well ahead of Sylvia at this stage. Sylvia might be a nose ahead of Petterd right now, but the discrepancy isn't great; Petterd has shown almost as much in his few games as Sylvia has, has made all the right noises over the pre-season and is skilled, courageous and has been hailed as a possible future leader. For a team on the rebuild and given where both players are at right now, I think it makes more sense to play Petterd on Sunday than Sylvia.

So out of the definite starters, he is basically competing with Green and Petterd, both of whom make more sense than him.

I think his missing out was a combination of merit (or lack thereof) and penance for his recent behavior (if not for his recent conduct I'm sure he'd get a spot on the interchange). He'll be back, and hopefully a little wiser and hungrier for the experience.

Great post... Particularly the bit in regards to Petterd. We need to see this young kid in action as much as possible, as soon as possible. I see him as one of the kids that will vie for our all-important core list for the next 6 or so years. Col has always been, and likely will always be in and out of that core. I like Col, but there has to come a time that we ignore the drafting number once the player has been recruited. Going on what he's shown so far (even with the OP extenuating circumstances) Petterd is more important. We may have snuck a couple more goals in the game, may have made a difference to the result... but we are in development phase, and I'm loving that DB isn't taking his eye off the ball, even for a minute.

Sylvia has broken my heart, I was massive wraps for the kid and talked him up (As my old man keeps reminding me).

But he has delivered zero, he should be a midfielder but is a lazy forward pocket player who will amass to nothing unless this year he actually applies himself mentally to the task. If not in a few years time he will become a 26 yrd old playing in the EFL regretting his missed opportunity.

Great post... Particularly the bit in regards to Petterd. We need to see this young kid in action as much as possible, as soon as possible. I see him as one of the kids that will vie for our all-important core list for the next 6 or so years. Col has always been, and likely will always be in and out of that core. I like Col, but there has to come a time that we ignore the drafting number once the player has been recruited. Going on what he's shown so far (even with the OP extenuating circumstances) Petterd is more important. We may have snuck a couple more goals in the game, may have made a difference to the result... but we are in development phase, and I'm loving that DB isn't taking his eye off the ball, even for a minute.

With grimes & wonna not in, Petterd would have to be close to our most important "young" player for sunday. He or morton need to kick 3-4 if we are any chance.

Spencer in the ruck is going to be very interesting as well. Looking forward to watching all our 1st, 2nd + newish 3rd yr players!

all 4 new guys WILL play!

Cheney, jetta, bennell and Spencer.

Source?

Bench for mine should be Bennell, Jetta, Jones and Martin. I think it is good that we have not rushed Wonna back and Sylvia and Newton will have to earn there spots. I am amazed that Moloney is in the side as his preseason form has not been anything to write home about.

I would like the bench to be....

Bennell - Will be good for the backline with the Kangas good small forward brigade

Jetta - To be at the feet of the packs up forward in the absence of Aussie

Jones - Is a given imo

Cheney/Martin - Happy with either, that would both serve a purpose

Cheney is needed as a small back in the absence of Whelan.

Jones will definately get the nod.

It would comes as no surprise if the Bunbury boys debut in the same match. It would be great for them to share such a moment and they add much needed flair and pace to the side.

Very reliable.

Some big past favourites to present their jumper to them as well..

That sounds great and I hope it happens.

Fantastic to see Bailey putting faith into the kids from day one, as opposed to rolling them out when the season is already dead and buried.

I can see the argument for leaving Martin out, but I worry that we're putting all our eggs in the one basket with Warnock. If he can't hold Hale, our next best option is Rivers, which would rob us of serious counter-attack options.

PS The Sylvia omission is hardly a big deal. The guy isn't a star... so far he's shown he's just another player who has to do what it takes to earn a spot. Which he hasn't done. My greater concern is the crappy form of Newton, who has rightly not been named anywhere near the side. He might have straightened us up a bit if he was on his game.

Great to see Beamer, Rivers and Ricky Bobby in the side.

I hope Jetta and Bennell both get selected, bit of excitment will be great! Bennell would be good against Thomas and Cambell.

Looking forward to final team today :)

Hope you like my new sig guys :)

Spot on re Sylvia. The guy thinks he's a rolls royce. He should worry about being a Holden first.

He is already a Holden, unreliable and slow. Next step should be a Ford, reliable, fuel efficent and FAST.

I can see the argument for leaving Martin out, but I worry that we're putting all our eggs in the one basket with Warnock. If he can't hold Hale, our next best option is Rivers, which would rob us of serious counter-attack options.

I see Garland and to a lesser extent Frawley being used more often coming out of defence. Don't see what all the fuss is about Warnock playing on Hale. As long as there's pressure up field, I'm backing him and his teammates to clean up. Defenders help each other.