I really like Bailey.....but.

btdemon

As I said, I really like DB. He is calm, measured, has a great footy brain, a quirky sense of humour and I like the direction he is taking the club.

There is one thing that botheres me, his use of language. He is very fond of footy cliches, but not anly that, he minces them around in a bizarre way. He also changes tenses several times in each sentence, eg. "You'd like to have all your players fit and on the ground, especially the Daveys and Woneamirris, plus the taller forwards but, going forward I am just asking the players to be competitive". I just made this quote up but you get the picture.

So I would like DB to 'take this on board', 'have a real dip', and attempt to avoid cliches 'going forward'.

PS. At least I havn't heard him say "yeah no, ......"

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
The way Bailey speaks is of no concern at the moment. What we should be caring about is the way Bailey coaches, and whether he can inspire improvement in players like Newton, Sylvia, Bell, Dunn, Bartram etc.
i dont think norm smith could inspire them,there just not good enough.

What i like most about Bails is that hes a hard nut coaching a team that has always lacked grunt in the way they go about their footy. The wins havnt come and most probably wont come yet, but in my mind I cant think of a better direction he is attempting to take the club or any other coach who could be doing better. Daniher was a panzy and MFC developed a rep for being soft at the footy (not Neita of course), so hopefully when the skills catch up with age this will change.

Plenty of positives to take away from yesterday. DB for mine is one. I thought coached well all day, little unlucky inexperience allowed the hawks back into it but the side and coaches will take a lot away from today. Better then a flogging like this time last year.

Great coaches are usually ex footballers. Ex footballers are not known for their literacy skills nor are they expected to write a best selling novel.

He can reel off as many [censored] cliches as he likes as long as he can get this football team up, running and winning again.

The players believe in him, and that is what is needed for this group to start winning. Will take some time, he is the right man to do it.

Great coaches are usually ex footballers. Ex footballers are not known for their literacy skills nor are they expected to write a best selling novel.

He can reel off as many [censored] cliches as he likes as long as he can get this football team up, running and winning again.

The players believe in him, and that is what is needed for this group to start winning. Will take some time, he is the right man to do it.

Says who? Cliche time - join the club. Good grief. :angry:

Says who? Cliche time - join the club. Good grief. :angry:

There you go again...

I recall your drivel about Bailey from last year.

And now, we lose one NAB Cup game and you're picking at flesh again.

Who says the players don't believe in their coach?

Forget Bailey, I find your comments hackneyed.

As I said, I really like DB. He is calm, measured, has a great footy brain, a quirky sense of humour and I like the direction he is taking the club.

There is one thing that botheres me, his use of language. He is very fond of footy cliches, but not anly that, he minces them around in a bizarre way. He also changes tenses several times in each sentence, eg. "You'd like to have all your players fit and on the ground, especially the Daveys and Woneamirris, plus the taller forwards but, going forward I am just asking the players to be competitive". I just made this quote up but you get the picture.

So I would like DB to 'take this on board', 'have a real dip', and attempt to avoid cliches 'going forward'.

PS. At least I havn't heard him say "yeah no, ......"

Is there anything more cliched or contrived that the post match press conference. Unless you expect an Aurelio Vidmar tirade what do you expect at such a beat up wafer light events?

There you go again...

I recall your drivel about Bailey from last year.

:blink:

And now, we lose one NAB Cup game and you're picking at flesh again.

I have made absolutely no comment about Bailey for months. Certainly not after saturday's game.

Who says the players don't believe in their coach?

You make my point

Forget Bailey, I find your comments hackneyed.

Dash it, dear boy. ;)

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Gotta give him at least until the end of the third season before we judge him. We're in the midst of a huge shake up of both list and game plan. We can't start eating our own at this club or we'll end up on the bottom until the AFL gets sick of us and gives our licence to the Rockhampton Rabbits or some such.

Unless you expect an Aurelio Vidmar tirade what do you expect at such a beat up wafer light events?

I wonder what Aurelio has planned after this weekends loss. his last game v Melb will be hard to top!

That aside there was another great example of a non-Cliche interview last year. After we knocked over freo mark harvey's assessment of the freo list and some of the snr players was nothing short of shocking. My jaw dropped when he was talking about some of his current senior players that he had a hand in recruiting and then tried to blame the prev operation for, of which he was apart. Similar questions have been asked of DB many times and he is only consistaint with his assessments - We need to be more competative etc, a little boring but keeping us out of the spotlight as much as possible.

Imagine where we would be if we had harv's shooting off his mouth. Cliche's or not DB is doing a great job in my eyes, he is not as media friendly as ND but given time he will. Lets face it, DB has taken on one of the hardest jobs in football at the end of 07 and he has to be measured and very careful of what is said otherwise the media will be all over us.

I wonder by the end of the year if harv's views on Perth will be similar to those put forward about adelaide by our newest honourary Victorian - Aurelio. It still make me laugh :lol:

I wonder what Aurelio has planned after this weekends loss. his last game v Melb will be hard to top!

That aside there was another great example of a non-Cliche interview last year. After we knocked over freo mark harvey's assessment of the freo list and some of the snr players was nothing short of shocking. My jaw dropped when he was talking about some of his current senior players that he had a hand in recruiting and then tried to blame the prev operation for, of which he was apart. Similar questions have been asked of DB many times and he is only consistaint with his assessments - We need to be more competative etc, a little boring but keeping us out of the spotlight as much as possible.

Imagine where we would be if we had harv's shooting off his mouth. Cliche's or not DB is doing a great job in my eyes, he is not as media friendly as ND but given time he will. Lets face it, DB has taken on one of the hardest jobs in football at the end of 07 and he has to be measured and very careful of what is said otherwise the media will be all over us.

I wonder by the end of the year if harv's views on Perth will be similar to those put forward about adelaide by our newest honourary Victorian - Aurelio. It still make me laugh :lol:

It's one thing to be positive, but this post is just plain ridiculous on so many levels.

Answer these questions without cliches:

By what measurements do you say that Bailey is doing a great job?

I'm not a Harvey fan, but why would we be any worse if we had a coach that was shooting off his mouth? We are a basket case on and off the field, how could things be worse?

What was so wrong with what Vidmar said? At least he has been able to motivate his players which is something that Bailey has yet to demonstrate.

And btw, I would not be the least surprised if Adelaide knock off Victory this week.

Gotta give him at least until the end of the third season before we judge him. We're in the midst of a huge shake up of both list and game plan. We can't start eating our own at this club or we'll end up on the bottom until the AFL gets sick of us and gives our licence to the Rockhampton Rabbits or some such.

While blind freddie would recognise the inherited list wreckage. woeful lack of training facilities and resources and the appalling off field dramas that Bailey had to contend with last year, there needs to be signs that there are improvements in some of the younger players and the side as a whole otherwise the heat in the kitchen will rise for him quickly.

Outbursts like that are either terminal for the speaker or the target.

Both Vidmar and Harvey are on very short ropes at the moment. Vidmar may well be gone after the A League GF.

In regard to the condemnation of the senior players. He was saying the bleedin obvious and giving a general message that there was no road back for a number of them. However, IMO he was partly culpable for the outcome and I think his role is not safe if Freo are bottom 4 this year.

Staged press conferences are not the appropriate platform for self destructive tirades. I am surprised so many posters expect coaches to rip into/humilate people in such a climate. Amazing.

It's one thing to be positive, but this post is just plain ridiculous on so many levels.

Answer these questions without cliches:

By what measurements do you say that Bailey is doing a great job?

Very simple, our skill level has improved out of site in the 2 hit outs thus far. Our attack on the ball and tackling has also been improved. Both of these "competative" skills that DB spoke about so much last year allows us to implement "the game plan" more effectively.

I'm not a Harvey fan, but why would we be any worse if we had a coach that was shooting off his mouth? We are a basket case on and off the field, how could things be worse?

Can't remember freo winning too many games after this outburst so the opporsite could well be argued that it had a negative effect of their club!

What was so wrong with what Vidmar said? At least he has been able to motivate his players which is something that Bailey has yet to demonstrate.

And btw, I would not be the least surprised if Adelaide knock off Victory this week.

Whats wrong with what Vidmar said? are you on another planet MO? if AUFC fail again against the victory lets see if AV is still coaching them next year!

<EDIT> its one thing to be contsructively critical, but out right general attacks in the main stream media is playing with fire no matter what you do!

Whats wrong with what Vidmar said? are you on another planet MO? if AUFC fail again against the victory lets see if AV is still coaching them next year!

Vidmar's comments were directed at those off the field who were trying to tell him what team he should pick. Vidmar could see that it was having a destabilising effect on the players, and thought enough was enough. After playing like busted a#ses against the Victory, they turned things around against the high flying Roar.

If Vidmar is not coaching AUFC next season because they lose to Victory, that's a poor reflection of the administration of AUFC, not Vidmar.

Vidmar's comments were directed at those off the field who were trying to tell him what team he should pick. Vidmar could see that it was having a destabilising effect on the players, and thought enough was enough. After playing like busted a#ses against the Victory, they turned things around against the high flying Roar.

If Vidmar is not coaching AUFC next season because they lose to Victory, that's a poor reflection of the administration of AUFC, not Vidmar.

Whilst there may be a short term gain, to quote RR - "Outbursts like that are either terminal for the speaker or the target." Long term I will suggest AV and/or AUFC will suffer from the outburst. There is a time and place for this stuff and its not at a press conference after a game. Regardless of the political issues AV's outburst like harv's was unacceptable and if DB was to come out next week and do something similar my view on him would change 100%.

Whilst there may be a short term gain, to quote RR - "Outbursts like that are either terminal for the speaker or the target." Long term I will suggest AV and/or AUFC will suffer from the outburst. There is a time and place for this stuff and its not at a press conference after a game. Regardless of the political issues AV's outburst like harv's was unacceptable and if DB was to come out next week and do something similar my view on him would change 100%.

One of the longest serving and most successful coach in world sport, Alex Ferguson, is renowned for his press conference tirades. I dare anyone to say that they've been terminal to Man U.

Was Blight's radical post match tirade on David Pittman terminal to Adelaide?

Sometimes things need to be said in the open.

One of the longest serving and most successful coach in world sport, Alex Ferguson, is renowned for his press conference tirades. I dare anyone to say that they've been terminal to Man U.

Access to billions of dollars and the best players in the world sure stopped anything terminal at ManU.

Was Blight's radical post match tirade on David Pittman terminal to Adelaide?

It was unnccessary at the time and the issues could have been address without having to publicly humiliate a player in front of his teammates, his coaches, his opposition, Club members and supporters and the general public. I have not noticed other coaches do that. May be they have learnt some lessons other clearly have not.

Sometimes things need to be said in the open.

I note the rule you apply to Pittman does not apply to CJ... How unusual Mo?

Firstly, belittling a person in front of his peers is poor management on any level. And I can't see how it improves Bailey's standing amongst the players, and does nothing for the so called "culture" of the club.

So tell me Mo what do you actually stand for? :lol:

Access to billions of dollars and the best players in the world sure stopped anything terminal at ManU.

It was unnccessary at the time and the issues could have been address without having to publicly humiliate a player in front of his teammates, his coaches, his opposition, Club members and supporters and the general public. I have not noticed other coaches do that. May be they have learnt some lessons other clearly have not.

I note the rule you apply to Pittman does not apply to CJ... How unusual Mo?

So tell me Mo what do you actually stand for? :lol:

Based on your infinite knowledge of football, how does Man U have access to billiions of dollars? And do you know the history of the club pre Ferguson? Obviously not.

The point I was making about the CJ's case was in response to you nuffies who believe the it enhances the culture of the place for Bailey to belittle a player who had already left the club.

Pittman was still playing, and Blight felt that he needed a rocket. 2 flags in subsequent seasons is terminal damage.

So Teflon, answer my question, how were Vidmar's comments terminal to the club?

Pittman was still playing, and Blight felt that he needed a rocket. 2 flags in subsequent seasons is terminal damage.

So Teflon, answer my question, how were Vidmar's comments terminal to the club?

There's a big difference between taking a shot at a player about their performance and taking a shot at your; club, administration, supporters, population etc etc etc.

The term biting the hand that feeds you clearly comes to mind in this case!

Also I would suggest that at this stage Vidmar could well be gone win/loose/draw. This was a brain fade/melt down what ever you like to call it. Harvey fortunately did not go this far but the ice around him is cracking! DB is moving the list forward and with only seeing 1 new recruit on SAT a marked difference could be seen.

I can't see how any of your points are relevant to this tread MO. Facts are Facts but at this time 1 year under DB we are in better shape moving forward then we were before he took over!