MFC Youth Summit

Gippy Dee

Hey Guys,

Just found this on the MFC website about a Youth Summit the MFC will be holding for Melbourne Members and supporters in the age bracket of 13-25.

Link: Youth Summit 2009

Sounds very similar to the Demon Summit held late last year.

I think its a great idea, get the younger kids in to voice their opinions and how they think the club can improve.

The question is will there be any REAL ideas or proposals that could help the club?

Gippy

I read about this for the first time in the HUN today: Stynes puts Dees future in young fans' hands

Sounds like a good idea, except that it possibly suggests a lack of ideas at the Demon Summit last year. But I like the bit about Stynes reinforcing the fact that we need to encourage youth membership, and retain those members when they turn 18 and upgrade to a more expensive adult membership.

Not at all, i see this as a recognition that we lack representation in the younger age groups and the club is calling on that generation to tell them what makes their heart beat red and blue. I'm 22 so i'll put my name down for this and if i go i'll make a report for everyone here.

I put my hand up for this.

I think that there is SO much potential to captivate this age group.. and I think that using websites like facebook and myspace (regardless of what some people think about them..) could be somewhat influential.

This is a great Idea...Get Young supporters involved with the Club. Excellent. I am 45 and i would love to hear what young kids have got to say & think about our beloved MFC.

Bottom line though is the Team on the Field Must start Winning. That is ultimately the only way The MFC will recruit young supporters in any great numbers.

But a Youth Summit is a step in the right direction.

I read about this for the first time in the HUN today: Stynes puts Dees future in young fans' hands

Sounds like a good idea, except that it possibly suggests a lack of ideas at the Demon Summit last year. But I like the bit about Stynes reinforcing the fact that we need to encourage youth membership, and retain those members when they turn 18 and upgrade to a more expensive adult membership.

I think that you will find that a youth summit was one of the ideas to come out of the Demon Summit as well as the heartland idea.

I think that there is SO much potential to captivate this age group.. and I think that using websites like facebook and myspace (regardless of what some people think about them..) could be somewhat influential.

Yeah, i might not be able to get down there (...and I am 25, so just on the cusp) but something as simple as a Twitterfeed from MFC would be fantastic.

I very much doubt any other club is onto this, but many tech-savvy young ppl would appreciate a service like this.

Social media is the way forward, if MFC can harness this during its boom period it would help the club greatly.

Absolutely The MFC must be proactivein the Modern Communication world.

Yep..the youth summit was put at the top of the WILL DO list at the summit as required for immediate action..and fair enough too as it only needed the idea to be turned into an organised day.

Im sure many ideas will flow fro the day..Brainstorming is ALL good..you just take the more usable ideas and note the rest. If the summit is about youth then who better to voice an opinion !!

If you can get alog to it I recommend any intersted member or supported to contact the clb abd put their hand up for it !!

cheers :)

I wouldn't doubt that at all... I think that it will give a fresh look at the way the Club is running and its approach to this age group.

I'm 26 (Old fart I am... :lol: )and unfortunately would love to be there. I would have been involved in the 'Demon Summit' but unfortunately wasn't able to make it.

Will the ideas be formalised and then presented to members at all? This is something that I haven't seen from the original summit...

Gippy

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

lets hope jim and the board, really take in what the youth of today have to say, there the future of this club 12 to 25yr olds are the people that will get this club back on track, not certain people that look straight ahead.

Im in london so i cant get there.

However I would like someone to put forward on my behalf a proposal to change the design of the Demon mascot that walks around before the game.

You know the one, hes the one who looks like a scary yet smiling man from the 70's with a pencil mostach, with a big red head. Its truly terrible, have a look at the essendon hornet thing that they have got, clearly more appealing to kids.

In its place I would have something like the Havey comics 'Hot Stuff' character, for those of you not familiar with the character he is a small child devil who is from the same company as richie rich and casper the ghost. Obvioulsy we cant completley rip him off because of copy rights and that sort of stuff, but something similar would be better

http://home.att.net/~thft/hotstuff.gif

Chuck a demon top on him to start with.

However I would like someone to put forward on my behalf a proposal to change the design of the Demon mascot that walks around before the game.

You know the one, hes the one who looks like a scary yet smiling man from the 70's with a pencil mostach, with a big red head. Its truly terrible, have a look at the essendon hornet thing that they have got, clearly more appealing to kids.

In its place I would have something like the Havey comics 'Hot Stuff' character, for those of you not familiar with the character he is a small child devil who is from the same company as richie rich and casper the ghost. Obvioulsy we cant completley rip him off because of copy rights and that sort of stuff, but something similar would be better

http://home.att.net/~thft/hotstuff.gif

Chuck a demon top on him to start with.

We are already a laughing stock of the afl world I dont think we need our mascot in a diaper to make things worse.

I'm a little over the age bracket, and I got my word in ad the first summit, but my thoughts that might be useful are -

Number 1

Discounted group tickets for under 25s - the bigger the group the better the discount.

A group of 'rowdy youths' are always going to have more fun at a game than just a handful, and a group also makes it easier to have fun even if the game goes to $%#$.

Also encourages people to invite others along, and makes it cheaper for people who have pretty tight cash flows. Could even get a 'group youth membership' going, similar to a family membership except a bunch of friends can sign up together for X number of admissions over a season which they can use in big chunks (like ten at one game).

Number 2

Events where you actually get to DO something. Quad bikes, windsurfing, battle of the bands, hip-hop classes, hire out the indoor rock climbing place in the city, anything. We get to say we're promoting active healthy lifestyles, and the people who go actually get to have fun.

Working with venues and tying it in with a promotion, the club could actually get young members and their friends cheaper access to things that might not be worth the money for thm normally.