THE CAPTAINCY POLL

H_T

Who should be Captain of the Mfc?  

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been much talk on the Captaincy issue for 2009 and beyond, here is a chance to "vent your spleen!"

Have a vote and if you disagree or support anything, go for it! Let it all out!

Personally, I have stated many-a-time I think our next Captain should be Brock McLean. Mainly because our club has seen so much change in the last 12 months and the club is putting things in place for the future. With a replenished young list I believe the club needs to make another bold move and appoint a new Captain. One who is a courageous leader of young men, who sets the tone on the field where the game is won, but is also well respected. But that's my view. What is yours?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have co-captains I would prefer a system like that of the Swans - a captain for the forward line, back line & the midfield.

So... Brock, Miller & Green (assuming he plays off a HBF) for example..

For the life of me I cannot understand the concept of co-captaincy. I feel it cheapens the position of club captain and announces to other teams

that we do not have enough confidence in any one man to lead our side. Surely one individual is available on every club list who is fit to fly the clubs

flag, without resorting to 2 or 3 co-captains. Even with a single captain he will enjoy the support of a core group of leaders or senior players, so

why have multiple captains. If we head down this path again next year it will be a huge mistake.

For mine, Brock is the stand alone choice. I like greeny and his courageous, 'captain like' actions on the field but to me he represents a past

era at melbourne for which we are no longer in. Greeny will be a huge asset to our side in what ever role he plays but it should not be as

captain. Brock is the future and falls within the age bracket of players we are investing our future in. He has talent, leadership and most of all

mongrel. Come on Dean, appoint this man captain and let him lead our boys to greatness.

For the life of me I cannot understand the concept of co-captaincy. I feel it cheapens the position of club captain and announces to other teams

that we do not have enough confidence in any one man to lead our side.

I totally agree about this, however last year was a time where it was probably required due to the sudden depature of a true legend of the game. Time to move on now.

I don't understand why everyone is so against having co-captains.

In this day & age the responsibilities of a captain are much greater than they have been in the past & I imagine it makes the job much easier to share the load.

For those that say it is a 'soft' option, i don't hear too many people calling the swans soft... Nor the Lions for that matter.

And they've both won premierships in the last decade... you sure they're the ones who have got it wrong??

In this day & age the responsibilities of a captain are much greater than they have been in the past & I imagine it makes the job much easier to share the load.

For those that say it is a 'soft' option, i don't hear too many people calling the swans soft... Nor the Lions for that matter.

And they've both won premierships in the last decade... you sure they're the ones who have got it wrong??

I don't see how having co-captains as opposed to a captain & vice-captains would share the load anymore, its the same amount of people in the leadership group. The captain is more symbolic than anything and his time to shine is on the field when it counts, all other duties are still shared amongst the entire leadership group.

Voss was the stand alone captain of the Lions for all 3 premierships & the Lions have just re-instated Jonathon Brown as a stand alone captain. The Swans are an interesting example though because they play like they have a number of leaders rather than one star leading the way... but it could just be pure coincidence?

I think a lot of our problems with co-captains stems from supporters' feelings of inadequacy, myself included, none of us want Bruce or J-Mac or Miller as co-captain or anything resembling a captain because none of these guys stand up against other clubs captains, its makes us feel like a joke! There is a hope that McLean could be the type of player who stands up when it counts like a true captain should - so we cling onto that and want him made captain.

I think there is probably more read into it than needs to be, the role of the captain certainly seems to have lost the importance it once had, but I still want Brock sole captain purely so I can see him rise to the challenge :wub:

your poll cannot be completed if you said No to co captains

you should have included an option to indicate this in the last section

This poll needs to be fixed.

Clarified a bit better.

It's a pity this poll doesn't work properly, because I'd be interested to see what the opinions are of those who think we should have co-captains. In the meantime, I've said McLean and NO. A big fat NO. But if it had to happen, I said McLean and Miller.

It works. That's right, "if" it did happen as you say you voted McLean/Miller. I clarified it a little better anyway.

I hope I have now clarified it a bit better for you three. So, even if you did Vote "NO" , you still have the option to vote co-captains "IF" you even voted YES.

It is going to be hard for the club to rip the captaincy off the B&F winner. Notwithstanding the general feeling amongst posters of Bruce's worth around the club he did stand up last season and was a model of consistency and hard work. He deserves to keep the captaincy stand alone. I think Junior's best footy is behind him and whilst he should remain in the leadership group he is probably going to have less game time next season.

Yes Brock is the stand out next option as the next captain and if he hadn't been involved in so many off field incidents not 12 months ago he would be the prime candidate for captaincy now. He just needs to keep his nose clean and play good consistent footy and he will be captain in 2010.

For me, choosing the co-captains option is a sign of a lack of faith in the leaders at Melbourne. We need leadership, we need someone to be able to inspire. To me, co-captains represent a splitting of responsibilities, not a sharing. I would rather see some faith entrusted in one player (preferably Brock McLean) to lead this club out of the doldrums. If the load needs to be shared, that's what the 'leadership group' is for.

The board of the club has a president/chairman, and then a group of board members. But just the one president. The off-field team is led by one person Stynes, but that's not to say there isn't leadership coming from Peter Spargo, or Russel Howcroft.

For me, choosing the co-captains option is a sign of a lack of faith in the leaders at Melbourne. We need leadership, we need someone to be able to inspire. To me, co-captains represent a splitting of responsibilities, not a sharing. I would rather see some faith entrusted in one player (preferably Brock McLean) to lead this club out of the doldrums. If the load needs to be shared, that's what the 'leadership group' is for.

Good point Titan. Well covered. My thoughts precisely. You can still have your leadership group, but you must have a focal point, one Captain who leads by example in spades.

Although, not so much as a lack of faith in the leaders at Melbourne, but it shows the lack of strong leadership at Melbourne. But I see signs of that improving in Brock and even Jack Watts later on.

Ok this might seem like an odd question to ask but is this even up for debate within the club?

I mean will there be any change from last season at all?

I know what we all want, but is this likely to actually happen, or will we stand by the guys that took over from Neitz last season?

Are Cameron Bruce and James MacDonald the anointed and all we in here are doing is arguing amongst ourselves for no particular reason whatsoever?

Just curious......

McLean for Captain

NO !!!!... to co capts

But should there be co capts McLean/Green

Interesting to see NO ONE wants Macca/Bruce combo !!!!!

Now the club needs to see how the supporters feel !!! Do the MFC check out Demonland or should we send this to them !!!!

The only argument I see for co-captains is for playing with coincidences.

The Brads have it now and pass it on to the Jacks in a few years. ;)

That said, I think I'm pretty much on the same line as the bulk of people here. I maybe favour a two or three year appointment of Green, with Mclean as a very visible Vice Captain.

The only argument I see for co-captains is for playing with coincidences.

The Brads have it now and pass it on to the Jacks in a few years. ;)

That said, I think I'm pretty much on the same line as the bulk of people here. I maybe favour a two or three year appointment of Green, with Mclean as a very visible Vice Captain.

Interesting perspective you have in passing the 'batton' from the Brad's to the Jack's.

If you were pretty much on the same line as the "bulk of people here", don't you think you would have McLean as captain?

The Demon fans are certainly speaking about who they want as captain!

I'm a McLean fan and would go for him in 2009.

But it's understandable if his injuries, overseas escapades and burn-outs make it difficult for 2009. It's unseemly to use Bruce or Green as seat warmers - what's gonna happen when we need McLean to leap-frog them in 2010? So if it can't be McLean I'd go for Junior as captain with McLean, Green and Bruce as deputies. It's pretty likely Junior wont play 22 games so the other 3 will get a chance and I think the cream will rise.

McLean for me. Granted I like most don't see the inner workings of leadership in the club but from what I do see McLean's the complete package.

Good player and on-field leader and he potrays himself and the club well in the media. I think there are significant question marks as to whether Miller, Bruce, Green and McDonald do as well as McLean in all these areas.

McLean for me. Granted I like most don't see the inner workings of leadership in the club but from what I do see McLean's the complete package.

Good player and on-field leader and he potrays himself and the club well in the media. I think there are significant question marks as to whether Miller, Bruce, Green and McDonald do as well as McLean in all these areas.

AMAZING!!!

You ADMIT to not knowing what goes on but you SAY players have shortcomings.

Like most posters , Know little but have BIG MOUTHTHS.

Quite Pathetic really!!!

AMAZING!!!

You ADMIT to not knowing what goes on but you SAY players have shortcomings.

Like most posters , Know little but have BIG MOUTHTHS.

Quite Pathetic really!!!

I reckon realist in his own subtle way has raised a good point. Spectators can judge the value of a footballers playing ability but leadership is intangible and far more difficult to gauge from the sidelines.

The players and coaching staff are in a far better position to make this judgement. I know that the rebuttal of this will be the problems with the leadership group being elected by the players last year but last year was not a normal season. With Neitz injured, Yze and White out of form there were not a lot of players to choose from.