Demons to Name Pick Number 1 early, good or bad?

Redleg

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but i was the one that started the thread on Demonology on Friday.

I am not sure how to post a link, but it is at http://demonology.midnight.net.au/ titled "MFC Draft Preview Night - Inside Word".

In it i stated:

The Mates of Melbourne group are having a National Draft Preview Night next Thursday night with Barry Prendergast speaking about what our club needs in the upcoming draft, which the invite promotes as the "Inside Word on the Draft".

All Foundation Hero members have been invited and they have been told they can bring guests.

Guess who got a guernsey?

BOOYAR!!!

The night is to be held at one of the Volvo dealerships to promote one of their new cars.

I have a feeling that the MFC might do a first and name the number 1 draft pick that night.

It would be a great promotion for one of our sponsors and it would certainly generate a lot of much needed positive press for the club.

I just pray it is Jack Watts they name, whether it is Thursday night or Saturday at 10.01am.

I now can't wait for Thursday night.

uhhh.. know-it-all ??

what exactly do you think you know other than the fact there will be a Draft Preview Night on thursday?

Not exactly exclusive info... & the idea of the number 1 draft pick being announced was in the paper..

Its just that you seem to be only repeating what everyone else already knows... do you have some other 'insider' info you've forgotten to mention?

Cos otherwise i'm confused

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhh.. know-it-all ??

what exactly do you think you know other than the fact there will be a Draft Preview Night on thursday?

Not exactly exclusive info... & the idea of the number 1 draft pick being announced was in the paper..

Its just that you seem to be only repeating what everyone else already knows... do you have some other 'insider' info you've forgotten to mention?

Cos otherwise i'm confused

I believe a large part of proceedings will be devoted to trying to [censored] the latest model in the Volvo range. Prendergast is a bit of icing on the cake.

Carlton announced Bryce Gibbs before the season was even over... amazing they could be so sure that they would get the number one pick that year.

Kreuzer they started hyping as a certainty well before the event.

There's no harm in showing a card when everyone will get to see it first up anyway, and it's not like we're undermining the sancitity of the draft.

A nice idea, adding a bit of value to a sponsor event and also letting a few fans feel a bit more included. Another good little step.

Nothing wrong with it!

Lol i remember in the NBA, in 2003, the NBA draft lottery was done, ( where ping pong balls are drawn to know the order of the draft). Cleveland won the lottery to choose 1st in the draft, and straight away the owner or GM whipped out a Lebron James Cleveland Cav jersey announcing that was their man hahahaha

Nothing wrong with it!

Lol i remember in the NBA, in 2003, the NBA draft lottery was done, ( where ping pong balls are drawn to know the order of the draft). Cleveland won the lottery to choose 1st in the draft, and straight away the owner or GM whipped out a Lebron James Cleveland Cav jersey announcing that was their man hahahaha

Will be at the function with my iphone so, subject to there being an announcement and reception being ok, I'll post the news as it happens.

I can't see how the AFL / NAB could take issue with it, I'm certain Carlton told the media they were picking Kruezer at least a day or two before last year's draft. I don't see how they could say you can release it to the media but it cannot be done at a sponsorship event. Sounds like a great idea to me, the kid needs to know, the pressue must be enormous. There is absolutely no competitive advantage to be gained from keeping it secret.

Guest melbman

Haydo has posted items on Demonology prior to the media releasing it. One being this Thursday night and his belief that the 1 choice would be named as well as CJ leaving the Dees way before the media got hold of it as well as the manner in which DB spoke to CJ regarding his decision to leave

I'm not the only one that looks forward to his posts over there

There's no harm in showing a card when everyone will get to see it first up anyway, and it's not like we're undermining the sancitity of the draft.

A nice idea, adding a bit of value to a sponsor event and also letting a few fans feel a bit more included. Another good little step.

Beyond pandering to a few posters' anxiety complexes, I dont see any need to show your cards before the day you announce. Its got nothing to do making a few overly strung fans feeling included. :rolleyes:

This is what the Mates of Melbourne invite says:

With the National Draft just days away, and the Club holding the No. 1 draft pick, get the inside word when you are treated to a National Draft preview from MELBOURNEfc's National Recruitment Manager, Barry Prendergast.

FWIW, the photograph that goes with it is a picture of Nick Nat handballing to Jack Watts.

This is what the Mates of Melbourne invite says:

FWIW, the photograph that goes with it is a picture of Nick Nat handballing to Jack Watts.

Very cryptic. Can't remember a draft for the MFC filled with more suspense.

How? Massive positive publicity and exposure for our Club before the draft wraps, when the public are inundated with draft news and views on each Club (with positive hype for all).

Other recruiters will have a ranking of all players in the draft and will choose their highest-ranking player that's still available so I don't see that it'd make much difference.

I certainly don't see that we'd lose much competitive advantage in naming the pick a little early.

Ok. So we get some exposure. Maybe Volvo gets mentioned a few times. The NAB draft as well as other sides will still be getting media attention as well.

Maybe I'm playing the devils advocate here, but if our No.1 pick is named on Thursday night. What is to say West Coast can't name there no.2 pick at a function on Friday, before Saturday's draft? Making a mockery of the draft.

Do we know the AFL's stance on this yet? Or have they given the club approval for this?

This'd be the tricky bit.

Pheonix raised a good point here. What if he did supposedly get hit by a tram/bus/car? Unlikely. But what if he did?

Better for us to keep it in wraps until Saturday IMO. :ph34r:

If they do, and the AFL have no problem, so be it. They would have set a precedent for future drafts. In a few years time. We'll all know the first 4 or 5 in order before the draft has started.

P.S. See all at the function. ^_^

I can't see how the AFL / NAB could take issue with it, I'm certain Carlton told the media they were picking Kruezer at least a day or two before last year's draft. I don't see how they could say you can release it to the media but it cannot be done at a sponsorship event. Sounds like a great idea to me, the kid needs to know, the pressue must be enormous. There is absolutely no competitive advantage to be gained from keeping it secret.

I don't have an issue with this..........

That is as long as the idea behind it is to generate some more much-needed publicity for the club, which in turn may help in our sponsor hunt.

But I have to ask, wouldn't the "chosen" kid already know? Or at least know before Saturday? Or is it totally up in the air for him too.

I don't think the AFL will object. It will further increase the publicity and the anticipation for the event. Their only proviso should be that it is referred to as the NAB National Draft at all times.

Carlton have never "officially" announced any of their No.1 draft picks like we have asked the AFL if we can do. All 3, Murphy, especially Gibbs & Kruezer were pretty much known as certainties and all but announced by Carlton, but not at a official function to announce it.

Separate from that, the situation is slightly different this year because of Naitanui. Watts is the stand out pick like Carlton's last 3, but Naitanui's unique athletic abilities & potential throw an extra spanner of unpredictability into the No.1 pick, not that this should effect the AFL decision, but it does add an extra level of excitement when there's no genuine certainty for the No.1 spot, which hasn't really happened since 2001

Greg Miller used to give a draft preview to premium Richmond members and name picks - Jack Riewoldt for one ...

They still do, it's on tonight. They outline who they expect the club to draft with saying exactly who it'll be. They also have a function the week following the draft where they introduce the draftees to the members, they were a bit sneaky last year also introducing the rookies before the rookies draft had even taken place.

Ok. So we get some exposure. Maybe Volvo gets mentioned a few times. The NAB draft as well as other sides will still be getting media attention as well.

Maybe I'm playing the devils advocate here, but if our No.1 pick is named on Thursday night. What is to say West Coast can't name there no.2 pick at a function on Friday, before Saturday's draft? Making a mockery of the draft.

Do we know the AFL's stance on this yet? Or have they given the club approval for this?

The AFL is to stop them. We're are asking for AFL approval to announce the No. 1 pick early & make a spectacle of it, if WC asked the AFL could just say no because there is significantly less interest outside of WC who goes at the No. 2 pick, but everyone wants to know who'll go at pick 1.

Haydo has posted items on Demonology prior to the media releasing it. One being this Thursday night and his belief that the 1 choice would be named as well as CJ leaving the Dees way before the media got hold of it as well as the manner in which DB spoke to CJ regarding his decision to leave

I'm not the only one that looks forward to his posts over there

I was talking about the thursday thing... but anyway, seems i was missing something

Carlton have never "officially" announced any of their No.1 draft picks like we have asked the AFL if we can do. All 3, Murphy, especially Gibbs & Kruezer were pretty much known as certainties and all but announced by Carlton, but not at a official function to announce it.

Kruezer was contacted by the CFC prior to the draft & told he would be taken at No 1 by them & that was confirmed by CFC in the media. Whether or not its at a function 36 hours before the event or in media interviews 24 hours before the event should not be relevant, its either OK or it isnt & last year when CFC did it nobody made a fuss.

At the end of the day, pick 1 is going to get the same level of publicity anyway. By announcing it on the Friday we'll get no more - and no less. We'll see the chosen one on the front of Saturdays sport section in a Demons polo, instead of seeing it in Sundays sport section. We'll hear him interviewed on the TV or radio on Friday, instead of Saturday.

With picks 2, 3 and 4 belonging to interstate sides this year it doesnt concern me as much, but had say Collingwood or Essendon held pick 2 I wouldn't be making an annoucement on the Friday - all you do then is allow the load to get shared with them on draft day. The media would say "we've already spoken to him, lets interview picks 2 and 3 etc"

At the end of the day, pick 1 is going to get the same level of publicity anyway. By announcing it on the Friday we'll get no more - and no less. We'll see the chosen one on the front of Saturdays sport section in a Demons polo, instead of seeing it in Sundays sport section. We'll hear him interviewed on the TV or radio on Friday, instead of Saturday.

With picks 2, 3 and 4 belonging to interstate sides this year it doesnt concern me as much, but had say Collingwood or Essendon held pick 2 I wouldn't be making an annoucement on the Friday - all you do then is allow the load to get shared with them on draft day. The media would say "we've already spoken to him, lets interview picks 2 and 3 etc"

I'm afraid i disagree. If we announce it early we get a big stand alone article in every newspaper. And if we announce a major sponsor at the same time this gives them maximum exposure.

This is as opposed to waiting until draft day, with us picking Watts just another article amongst all the other positive articles about which players were taken by which club and all the draft analysis.

It would be the main article, but if anything it is 'old news' as we were expected to take him anyway. The real point of interest is how the rest of the draft panned out.

Our pick would be swamped with other AFL news it has to share the spotlight with.

Now, if we take Naitanui that is different. But we would benefit from 2 days of people talking about the MFC & little else football related in the lead up to the draft.

In each of these cases it can only be a good thing announcing early.

We need to promote this club.

I agree that on the saturday we wouldn't be spoken to much, but as it is the National Draft & he IS the number 1 pick, the media will rehash everything from the previous days along with new little anecdotes about Watts joining MFC.

Kruezer was contacted by the CFC prior to the draft & told he would be taken at No 1 by them & that was confirmed by CFC in the media. Whether or not its at a function 36 hours before the event or in media interviews 24 hours before the event should not be relevant, its either OK or it isnt & last year when CFC did it nobody made a fuss.

They confirmed that AFTER the draft, that they had contact Kruezer on Wednesday night and told him he'd be No.1 and this is pretty standard practice that the club with pick 1 tells whoever they're going to take before the actual day of the draft. We want to announce it at an event in front of the media, not just Barry knocking on Mr & Mrs. Watts door and sitting down with them & young Jack to confirm he'll go No.1

2 very different situations.

If they do, and the AFL have no problem, so be it. They would have set a precedent for future drafts. In a few years time. We'll all know the first 4 or 5 in order before the draft has started.

Who cares whether WCE name their second pick at a function?

It makes no difference to the MFC.

I'm afraid i disagree. If we announce it early we get a big stand alone article in every newspaper. And if we announce a major sponsor at the same time this gives them maximum exposure.

Exactly.

If we announce a major sponsor as well then its a whole different story.

However, I suspect the AFL will veto any request to announce it on Friday. Why? Well because the AFL are paid a considerable sum by the National Australia Bank for sponsorship of the U18 program and the National Draft and they'll want Pick 1 and all publicity that comes with it to be promoting the NAB.

I don't think the AFL will object. It will further increase the publicity and the anticipation for the event. Their only proviso should be that it is referred to as the NAB National Draft at all times.

The MFC has done a deal with Volvo with this function to promote the new Volvo XC60.

The more column centimetres of PR Volvo get in the newspapers and airtime on TV and Radio, the more dollars we will get paid by Volvo.

That's how PR works.

There are formulas of how it is calculated. Simple as that.

It equates to $$$$ in our coffers and it also provides much needed positive media focused on our club.

I know for a fact last year one of the picks in the second half of the top 10 was contacted by the club that picked him up on the wed or thurs saying they would be picking him up. I think it is very common in the top 10 for the clubs to notify them before the draft.