SUNDAY'S DEMON SUMMIT

Yencks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's certainly not the purpose of the club.

In a way i'm worried enough the club needs supporter ideas to survive. If we asked supporters to come up with a gameplan then i'd give up

Guest Schtacker
Apparently they're now talking about ways to get corporate money

If anyone has any killer ideas in the next 5 minutes, put them here and i can send them on

hilarious post!

OK, I 've got 5 minutes... major financial problems... just a sec... LOL!

Hopefully they're addressing the Brad Miller on 5 opponents game plan.

That's not what it was about; nor was it a session where people could go and gripe about this and that issue with the club.

It was a serious attempt to get feedback from supporters about how to build the club on a number of levels, particularly in its supporter base, membership and in ensuring its viability through sponsorship and partnerships with the community i.e. those off field issues that we’ve been grappling with for a number of years.

There were about 350 to 400 people there including the Board, club greats like Ron Barassi and Trevor Johnson who thought it was important enough to fly over from Perth. Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly were there and some players James McDonald, Jared Rivers, Cale Morton and Jack Grimes. We have just passed 10,000 members but need to get 15k by Xmas.

We were divided into several groups with three sessions devoted to bringing out ideas for the future. While it was all embracing there was a definite emphasis on improving our image and attracting more young people to become supporters and members, to develop partnerships with community groups and of course to find ways to build up on our sponsorships - we currently don't have a major sponsor and, at the next level, we have only 8 sponsors of the game day variety compared with some other clubs that have as many as 20. Studies show that we have the lowest supporter base and the lowest number of Auskick participants so the concentration on the young was understandable.

I won't cover the ground that we covered over the morning, there were a lot of ideas thrown around in my group - some extremely useful, others were ideas that have been put forward before and still more that are already being implemented. My suggestions of more club involvement and assistance for supporter groups and for the club to promote itself and seek partnerships and sponsorships with eg. builders, developers and community groups in the Casey/Cardinia were well received.

The way I see it, if every one of the 400 people put forward 5 ideas, that gives us 2,000 ideas. Even if 1% of them are of value to the club, that makes 20 things that the club can do to improve itself that it didn't have before 9am today. In that respect, it was an important event in the club's history.

thanks jack, were there anything that they announced that we dont yet know? ie logo/away strip/websight?

--was there any new ideas brought up that were really good?

At the start of the summit Jim Stynes mentioned that the AFL had given approval for the MFC to wear red and blue as its away guernsey next year, that was one of the things i picked up on that i didnt already know before this morning.

I hope someone can give me a lowdown on-

Whats the news about our logo? are we keeping it or going back to the dee?

Whats the alternate jersey going to look like?

Any more news about our home and Casey?

Any draft rumblings?

How did Cale Morton look? any bigger?

Sponsor rumblings?

Thanks guys

im surprised there aren't any more reports...thought there would be a number of people that would have gone from demonland...

does anyone that went have answers/developments to any of these questions that i made on another thread?

1) What's the go with Casey?

2) What's the go with MCC?

3a) What's the go with Rectangular Stadium?

3b) If it's over, what's the go with the red and blue foundation?

4) What's the go with the websight?

5) What's the go with the clash strip?

6) What's the go with the logo?

7) What's the go with a major sponsor?

8) When will the AGM be?

9) What's the go with Jarad Rivers never ending injuries?

10) What's the go with our captain?

11) What's happening with Gary Lyon

12) What's happening with David Schwartz?

13) Is Hamish Blake still joining promotion?

I hope someone can give me a lowdown on-

Whats the news about our logo? are we keeping it or going back to the dee?

Whats the alternate jersey going to look like?

Any more news about our home and Casey?

Any draft rumblings?

How did Cale Morton look? any bigger?

Sponsor rumblings?

Thanks guys

Hi Mousey. The alternate strip will be red & blue, it sounds like they are still tweaking the design.

I got the impression that Casey is a done deal and was the focus over several excellent ideas.

Draft was not on the agenda, the search for sponsors continues [given that they may already be in confidential commercial discussionsand so cant discuss]

Cale still growing...mostly up, not so much out as of yet.

Overall the summit was well constructed, the facilitators were very professional, and a host of very good ideas were put forward.

im surprised there aren't any more reports...thought there would be a number of people that would have gone from demonland...

does anyone that went have answers/developments to any of these questions that i made on another thread?

8) When will the AGM be?

I'm sure that in the fullness of time you'll get a few more responses to the summit Nugget.

However, as has been pointed out numerous times, most of your questions are irrelevant to the real business of today's meeting.

It was a focus group, not an opportunity to ask about Jared's (sp) injury or when the AGM is etc.

I admire your enthusiasm but this wasn't the forum to answer most of your questions.

It was about mapping the future, brain-storming, getting supporter feedback and ideas - call it what you like.

Given our dire circumstances, hats off to the club and Jimmy in particular, for their initiative.

I'm sure that in the fullness of time you'll get a few more responses to the summit Nugget.

However, as has been pointed out numerous times, most of your questions are irrelevant to the real business of today's meeting.

It was a focus group, not an opportunity to ask about Jared's (sp) injury or when the AGM is etc.

I admire your enthusiasm but this wasn't the forum to answer most of your questions.

It was about mapping the future, brain-storming, getting supporter feedback and ideas - call it what you like.

Given our dire circumstances, hats off to the club and Jimmy in particular, for their initiative.

Could you share more of the ideas with all pf us

any ideas that could be shared with us?

We were divided up into about half a dozen groups (they were all colour coded and I got into the pink group - no smart comments please). Then within our groups we broke up into smaller groups that discussed ideas on various topics, mainly nuts and bolts stuff. As a result, I can't really give a comprehensive list of all ideas presented but I can say there were a lot passed on to the club, they were all documented and the club will study them and no doubt implement the best ideas.

I was impressed by the enthusiasm of the groups, the number of very capable and articulate people and the quality of some of the ideas. One of the people I met was Stephen Grimes (hope I got that right) and you can understand why Jack is regarded as a potential future leader.

And yes, both Jack Grimes and Cale Morton look like they've grown (heightwise at least) since August.

8) When will the AGM be?

The only one of those questions that was addressed was the alternative strip which will be red and navy blue as mentioned above. It sounds as if they're just doing some fine tuning with the logo for the jumper. And the Demon is here to stay. Someone said they wanted the Demon to look friendly but I prefer it to be more menacing.

Jared Rivers looked OK from a distance but then again we were in the Long Room, not the training track.

The only one of those questions that was addressed was the alternative strip which will be red and navy blue as mentioned above. It sounds as if they're just doing some fine tuning with the logo for the jumper. And the Demon is here to stay. Someone said they wanted the Demon to look friendly but I prefer it to be more menacing.

Jared Rivers looked OK from a distance but then again we were in the Long Room, not the training track.

nice room

thanks jack

out of interest, i know i'm asking questions that weren't addressed much today as it was a brainstorming today, but when you say "the logo for the jumper," does that mean that they are making a logo for the jumper but probably keeping the logo which is my avatar for other stuff?

-do u think they will implement it this season or do u think it is one of things (understandably) currently at the very back of their agenda?

any of particular interest?

btw, cheers maximum bob

Hell NJ, there were hundreds of ideas, some of the themes though:

A lot focusing on how we can build ties with the youth of Casey, lobbying to make Casey our AFL Auskick zone, take the MFC players to Casey, bring the Casey families to "the G"

Some very good ideas on potential sponsors...one classic that came out in regards to chasing environmental companies for sponsors..."Red & Blue = Green" (hell I wish I'd thought of it - that would have primary school teachers tearing their hair out for years to come!).

Concepts to help bring the playing group and supporters closer together.

Many of the ideas put forward are actually already in place, so my guess is that improving the effectiveness of club communications may become a high priority and a cornerstone of making the new ideas that get implemented a success.

were there any left field ideas thrown up that were feasible, and aren't dependant on on-field success?

From what I've heard virtually all of the ideas were unrelated to on-field performance (in so much as a football Club can disentangle itself from the on-field).

We were divided up into about half a dozen groups (they were all colour coded and I got into the pink group - no smart comments please)

I'm sure the pink group had the greatest ideas :P

I'm sure the pink group had the greatest ideas :P

Go GREEN !!! :)..Actually ask Cuddles what two colours make Green !!! pmsl !!

I think many may have a very askewed idea of what today actually was about. It was a "bigger picture " brainsfest of sorts..and nothig really about the playing group at all. Which made sense to me. Some very interesting ideas I thought. Some very left of centre in some respects..to me.. but probably straight as a die to others..and that was the whole point.

We could al spend the next five hours trying to recall many of them, luckily the club has them all on paper.

I could have seriously killer for a coffee on arrival though..lol

Youre all still very welcome to send ideas to the club..This is not about today only...its the start of a process to make us the most innovative club around.

Go Dees :)

Hi Mousey. The alternate strip will be red & blue, it sounds like they are still tweaking the design.

I got the impression that Casey is a done deal and was the focus over several excellent ideas.

Draft was not on the agenda, the search for sponsors continues [given that they may already be in confidential commercial discussionsand so cant discuss]

Cale still growing...mostly up, not so much out as of yet.

Overall the summit was well constructed, the facilitators were very professional, and a host of very good ideas were put forward.

Thanks mate! really appreciate it.

Like Nugget asked though are we keeping our logo ( the avatar of Nugget Jones) or are we putting a demon back on the table?

nice room

thanks jack

out of interest, i know i'm asking questions that weren't addressed much today as it was a brainstorming today, but when you say "the logo for the jumper," does that mean that they are making a logo for the jumper but probably keeping the logo which is my avatar for other stuff?

-do u think they will implement it this season or do u think it is one of things (understandably) currently at the very back of their agenda?

Nugget, if the brainstorming came up with any great new idea's that were considered may give us an advantage over our opposition, then why would those who attended tell the world through a web forum???

Thanks mate! really appreciate it.

Like Nugget asked though are we keeping our logo ( the avatar of Nugget Jones) or are we putting a demon back on the table?

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jim said that the current square logo would remain the clubs AFL official logo, but the Demon would be back in some capacity on the away guernsey.

It was a very interesting day - there were some very smart people with some great ideas. It was also good to see a few players there (Jared Rivers was in my group), and a large amount of club staff attended the day.

Jim said all members will be informed about the results of the day, after they've finished collating all the ideas and summarising them, so expect something in the inbox soon.

That's not what it was about; nor was it a session where people could go and gripe about this and that issue with the club.

It was a serious attempt to get feedback from supporters about how to build the club on a number of levels, particularly in its supporter base, membership and in ensuring its viability through sponsorship and partnerships with the community i.e. those off field issues that we’ve been grappling with for a number of years.

There were about 350 to 400 people there including the Board, club greats like Ron Barassi and Trevor Johnson who thought it was important enough to fly over from Perth. Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly were there and some players James McDonald, Jared Rivers, Cale Morton and Jack Grimes. We have just passed 10,000 members but need to get 15k by Xmas.

We were divided into several groups with three sessions devoted to bringing out ideas for the future. While it was all embracing there was a definite emphasis on improving our image and attracting more young people to become supporters and members, to develop partnerships with community groups and of course to find ways to build up on our sponsorships - we currently don't have a major sponsor and, at the next level, we have only 8 sponsors of the game day variety compared with some other clubs that have as many as 20. Studies show that we have the lowest supporter base and the lowest number of Auskick participants so the concentration on the young was understandable.

I won't cover the ground that we covered over the morning, there were a lot of ideas thrown around in my group - some extremely useful, others were ideas that have been put forward before and still more that are already being implemented. My suggestions of more club involvement and assistance for supporter groups and for the club to promote itself and seek partnerships and sponsorships with eg. builders, developers and community groups in the Casey/Cardinia were well received.

The way I see it, if every one of the 400 people put forward 5 ideas, that gives us 2,000 ideas. Even if 1% of them are of value to the club, that makes 20 things that the club can do to improve itself that it didn't have before 9am today. In that respect, it was an important event in the club's history.

Quite right.

Well summed up WJ. It was a great day for the mfc, by Jim's speech they're considering putting up a Junior Summit before the start of next season too.

Sorry to those who have waited on news, WJ has filled you in, but it was a good day and most important day for the club.

An early start, so early, the steel bollards were not down at Gate 6 from Punt Rd. It took until 8:10 precisely until they were down for cars to drive into the car park.

The morning opened with some hello's before the MC, Jim & Schwab got up for their intro's the Choir Boys song Run to Paradise played over the PA System and got everyone into the right frame of mind. Well, I'm speaking for myself... :P

WJ..I was in blue group! :P (PS. I bought up your view that the club should get the most out of its various supporter groups - more access to club officials, etc). It was supported, and got a few stickers.

So many ideas, thrashed about for 45min-1 hour in each of the 3 sessions. Topics such as "Winning hearts & Minds", Support & Securing tangible commitment' and 'Business expertise & Partnerships' with facilitators taking different approaches into the sessions in order to best capture the 350-odd turnouts ideas.

We were divided up into about half a dozen groups (they were all colour coded and I got into the pink group - no smart comments please). Then within our groups we broke up into smaller groups that discussed ideas on various topics, mainly nuts and bolts stuff. As a result, I can't really give a comprehensive list of all ideas presented but I can say there were a lot passed on to the club, they were all documented and the club will study them and no doubt implement the best ideas.

I was impressed by the enthusiasm of the groups, the number of very capable and articulate people and the quality of some of the ideas. One of the people I met was Stephen Grimes (hope I got that right) and you can understand why Jack is regarded as a potential future leader.

And yes, both Jack Grimes and Cale Morton look like they've grown (heightwise at least) since August.

Cale and Jack do look as though they've bulked up a little. Spoke to Rivers, he said he's body is feeling good. Macca's keen. CC is certainly a character and was pleased with the day's results.

Cameron Schwab was very impressive (so too Jim) and from my view he seems very happy. He's very happy with last weeks appointments and that they're keen Melbourne supporters and more likely to see through their important jobs, than give up.

From what I gather, with regard to the Bubbledome, they're not keen on the move there. Alpha's report the other day was good. As G.Healy said mfc may be used as the pawn, as politics are involved.

Back to Schwab, talk about impressive. The blueprint or model seems right. It is designed not just for the incumbent board, but future boards. It focuses on our Heritage, our Creed, etc.

Great to see Ron Barassi there. He did say to Jim that he would help out when needed.

My group came up with many ideas, likewise all other groups. Nugget, I put forward your DDD idea. 45hotgod - your idea of paying extra for MCC/Mfc and having Mfc logo on membership as well. Also with partnerships and raising funds with Casey, investing in the demographic and tying ourselves to the community.

I suggested, in addition to the Mfc Family Day in Melbourne, have one down at Casey Fields, before the season starts, for children & families to meet players, etc be embraced by the community with promotions, etc. A few other suggestions and additional input to others ideas too. When you get groups of people - everyone feeds off one another, its all positive.

Great to hear Jim say the alternate strip will be red and navy blue, with no white or silver. Having spoken to staff today, they do sift through all the emails and read them. D'Landers - I think they got our message from two months ago in relation to the alternate strip designs. Well done.

So much to write.... ;)

In summary, I was very happy with today, and it concluded with the linking of arms and the team song.

PS. Proud to have stood next to J.Rivers whilst belting it out too.

I hope the club can harness the ideas taken on board. As WJ said even if 1% of the ideas come to fruition which in turn presents several positive steps in various areas which help the bottom line its a remarkable event in the clubs history. It wont be the last summit the club has.

edit:

Other things of interest. We only have around 180,000 melbourne supporters, the lowest, but we sign up nearly 30,000 as members, being the highest in terms of members to supporters ratio. Collingwood, Essendon have around 800,000 and have sign-on members around 40,000+.

Jimmy stated we passed 10,000 members and well on track to getting to 15,000 before Christmas which would be the best result pre-Christmas and would be well on the way to surpassing 30,000 members.

Nugget, if the brainstorming came up with any great new idea's that were considered may give us an advantage over our opposition, then why would those who attended tell the world through a web forum???

if the club were trying to keep things highly secret they wouldnt hold a public "forum" in the first place

forgive me for wanting to find out where my club is heading.

if there is something highly secret or highly intuitive that cant be spread, the people wouldnt say it.

im just after some of the general ideas that might have propped up and a general consensus of the day...

i have pretty much got that so i am happy

btw, the thing you quoted me on was about our logo...why would anything about our logo by highly secretive? if u didnt already know, a logo is something that publicly represents a club/association

if anything, the club would actually want people to see/talk about a logo...or there would be no point in making one