TOM HISLOP

Adzman

Would it have anything to do with the list numbers on the lodgement day (or whatever the F*** it is)?

*edit*

That's one area (inside midfielders) where the Bombers aren't too bad.

Watson, Lonergan, Hocking and to an extent Welsh are all good at finding the ball from stoppages, and the #5 pick could yield someone like Ziebell who is reportedly pretty good in that area

- Probably not anything to do with list lodgement. It's a ways of yet, and they've dropped 8 guys already. Plenty of room on their list.

- The inside midfielders question may have something to do with it. One guy at Bomberblitz said that when Prismall was signed, it made it harder for Hislop to maintain his spot. I dunno if that's reason to go delisting a kid, but it may have contributed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hislop has been delisted by Essendon with the intention of redrafting him as a rookie. His career appears to have been derailed a bit after he suffered some injuries.

Yes, that could be true, but isn't it a danger that he'll be picked up by another club? If he did decide to nominate for the PSD he'd get picked up you'd think. And if they persuaded him not to, he'd still be looked at by us and anyone else above the bombers in the rookie draft order.

Honestly though, I've heard this draft is good early, then it drops off dramatically late, and that it's not too deep. If Tom nominated for the regular draft, you'd think he could go in the 30s or 40s at least? I don't know if I'd condone picking him up with 1, 17 or 19, but perhaps 35? If he does nominate, you'd suggest he might end up at the Hawks, who were apparently very keen on him, according to bomberblitz.

Some interesting factors on bomberblitz:

- It seems like the older, calmer heads hated him. Say he had attitude problems and no love for EFC.

- They reckon he was offered a year, didn't take it, so they delisted him.

- The rumour is he was always on the way to Hawthorn, was just biding his time.

- In general though, many are [censored] as he wasn't really given as much of a chance to prove himself as some of their other young guys.

- I scanned pretty quickly, but from what I can glean he missed a training session. Not sure if it was pre-season or regular season. From all accounts, it was alcohol related. As in, he's a bit of a party boy. Not sure how ironclad that is though.

* I take all of that with a grain of salt, naturally...

One thing I am impressed by? The fact that the Bombers are hard-lined enough to ditch a kid who's not doing enough despite the fact they'd invested an important draft selection in him. You wouldn't find MFC doing that to, say, Frawley...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- It seems like the older, calmer heads hated him. Say he had attitude problems and no love for EFC.

Sounds like he will be my favorite footballer if he comes to us.

One thing I am impressed by? The fact that the Bombers are hard-lined enough to ditch a kid who's not doing enough despite the fact they'd invested an important draft selection in him. You wouldn't find MFC doing that to, say, Frawley...

Possibly because Essendon got it wrong at draft time.

I am not sure why Frawley should be cut after two years on the list and given his first year was injury riddled. I thought he showed something towards the end of 2007.

You werent on the sack Garland bandwagon at the start of the year?

Sounds like he will be my favorite footballer if he comes to us.

I read that as more that he was still a lover of the Hawks, not so much that he didn't like Essendon. Which makes me concerned than for a footballer who wants his piece of the pie, MFC is not the place to get it. If he couldn't find a home as EFC, MFC isn't exactly a step up.

Food for thought.

Possibly because Essendon got it wrong at draft time.

I am not sure why Frawley should be cut after two years on the list and given his first year was injury riddled. I thought he showed something towards the end of 2007.

You werent on the sack Garland bandwagon at the start of the year?

I knew someone would pick me up on that.

I haven't given up on Frawley. It's a poor example. I just used him cos he was close to Hislop in his draft year. My point was that MFC have stuck with NQR a lot over the years, and many of them have played a couple of good seasons here and there. Sylvia, after his domestic violence thing, is an example of this. Perhaps EFC identified that with his attitude he would be a hot and cold player AT BEST and that the young list was better off without his influence? I dunno...

I just reckon dropping a #20 pick 2 years after selecting him, right or wrong, is a gutsy move. They're gonna cop some criticism in the short term... and then again when Hislop is picked up, which you would think he would be. And then again if he goes on to rack up 100 games, which it's conceivable he could do...

Are you on him? Or are you suspicious?

I knew someone would pick me up on that.

I haven't given up on Frawley. It's a poor example. I just used him cos he was close to Hislop in his draft year. My point was that MFC have stuck with NQR a lot over the years, and many of them have played a couple of good seasons here and there. Sylvia, after his domestic violence thing, is an example of this. Perhaps EFC identified that with his attitude he would be a hot and cold player AT BEST and that the young list was better off without his influence? I dunno...

I just reckon dropping a #20 pick 2 years after selecting him, right or wrong, is a gutsy move. They're gonna cop some criticism in the short term... and then again when Hislop is picked up, which you would think he would be. And then again if he goes on to rack up 100 games, which it's conceivable he could do...

Are you on him? Or are you suspicious?

Once picked a draft pick number is just a number. Its no ticket to success or reference for future clubs. Assessed talent at ND time is different to what is displayed. I think its realistic if it is felt that the player is not up to. No criticism there. Essendon should be worried they took Bradley in the 2003 draft at No4 and delisted him three years later. Not gutsy either. Just recognising that Bradley was not good and they made a balls up of pick 4 in a draft. There is no certainty that Hislop will be picked up. The great Luke Molan (Pick 9 in 2001) was not picked up.

I am suspicious that those that push his strengths, would not be needed in spades at Essendon. Someone has it wrong. Essendon or Dland posters. Dunno. I have no evidence of any off field or atttitude issues and I dont see why some are unfairly speculating about it.

Sylvia's issue was a once off matter that I think is separate to the assessment of his football talent.

Once picked a draft pick number is just a number. Its no ticket to success or reference for future clubs. Assessed talent at ND time is different to what is displayed. I think its realistic if it is felt that the player is not up to. No criticism there. Essendon should be worried they took Bradley in the 2003 draft at No4 and delisted him three years later. Not gutsy either. Just recognising that Bradley was not good and they made a balls up of pick 4 in a draft. There is no certainty that Hislop will be picked up. The great Luke Molan (Pick 9 in 2001) was not picked up.

I am suspicious that those that push his strengths, would not be needed in spades at Essendon. Someone has it wrong. Essendon or Dland posters. Dunno. I have no evidence of any off field or atttitude issues and I dont see why some are unfairly speculating about it.

Sylvia's issue was a once off matter that I think is separate to the assessment of his football talent.

Kepler Bradley was taken at pick 6.

Hislop turned down a 1 year deal.

This is from a post on BomberBlitz :

"The more we hear, the more disruptive Tommy appears. Now, i'm not sure i agree with getting rid of him, but when you consider

1) he is obviously a handful, and maybe worse, off-field

2) he has played little footy in the two years at the club

3) so bearing in mind 1 and 2, the club gave him a one year deal

4) he declined said deal and asked to be traded for better pastures

5) no deal could be done due to the O'keefe fiasco

6) he is bluing with team mates, and may or may not have got himself slashed in a knife fight

7) and he obviously doesn't want to be at the club on strict conditions (and maybe not at all)

then it's not easy to see what other outcome is possible. Give in and give him a two-year deal? to a kid off the rails, such a backdown is not likely to haul him into line.

I will be [censored] spewing if he's running around playing good senior footy next year with another AFL club"

Interesting...... I hope the MFC at least have a chat with the kid..... From all reports he is a decent player, just a young bloke who may have been a bit led astray....

From Matt Burgan's 06 Phantom Draft:

12 - MELBOURNE - TOM HISLOP Tassie Mariners, 7 June 1988, 184.4cm, 85.9kg Should a 'slider' fall through, Melbourne's first selection could be a fascinating outcome, yet the Demons are believed to be considering hard-at-it Taswegian Tom Hislop and Queenslander Ricky Petterd with its first selection, while key Victorian talls James Frawley and Ben Reid are also in the mix. Krakouer may also be considered with Melbourne's opening choice. Renouf will also be in Melbourne's thoughts. Hislop is likely to be a sought-after prospect from 10 to 15. His hardness and attack on the ball would compliment the likes of recent draftees Brock McLean and Colin Sylvia. Should Hislop pass Melbourne, expect him to figure in Richmond's plans the following pick and also Sydney's at No.15. Highlights/achievements: Robust and powerful player who is strong overhead and a prolific ball winner. All-Australian at U18 level this year averaging 20 disposals and ranking number one for tackles. Has an excellent speed and endurance combination being sub 3.00sec for 20m and mid level 14 for the Beep Test. AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Worth a look I reckon.

From Matt Burgan's 06 Phantom Draft:

12 - MELBOURNE - TOM HISLOP Tassie Mariners, 7 June 1988, 184.4cm, 85.9kg Should a 'slider' fall through, Melbourne's first selection could be a fascinating outcome, yet the Demons are believed to be considering hard-at-it Taswegian Tom Hislop and Queenslander Ricky Petterd with its first selection, while key Victorian talls James Frawley and Ben Reid are also in the mix. Krakouer may also be considered with Melbourne's opening choice. Renouf will also be in Melbourne's thoughts. Hislop is likely to be a sought-after prospect from 10 to 15. His hardness and attack on the ball would compliment the likes of recent draftees Brock McLean and Colin Sylvia. Should Hislop pass Melbourne, expect him to figure in Richmond's plans the following pick and also Sydney's at No.15. Highlights/achievements: Robust and powerful player who is strong overhead and a prolific ball winner. All-Australian at U18 level this year averaging 20 disposals and ranking number one for tackles. Has an excellent speed and endurance combination being sub 3.00sec for 20m and mid level 14 for the Beep Test. AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Worth a look I reckon.

Looking at this /\, & from reading the bomberblitz, re injuries & attitude problems, against his obvious talent, I suggest we try if he's still there, to rookie him.

We shouldn't spend any hard earned money on a senior list contract for a loose cannon.

Looking at this /\, & from reading the bomberblitz, re injuries & attitude problems, against his obvious talent, I suggest we try if he's still there, to rookie him.

We shouldn't spend any hard earned money on a senior list contract for a loose cannon.

If he nominates for the National Draft, he'll get picked up for sure. Saw him play for the Tassie seniors in the VFL as a 17yo, and the kids got talent.

If he's already knocked back a 1 year deal at Essendon, there's a fair chance that another club has already agreed to pick him up on better terms.

Why would he turn down a one year deal to be rookied by the bottom side?

If he nominates for the National Draft, he'll get picked up for sure. Saw him play for the Tassie seniors in the VFL as a 17yo, and the kids got talent.

If he's already knocked back a 1 year deal at Essendon, there's a fair chance that another club has already agreed to pick him up on better terms.

I know thats a possibility that we'll miss him, but really, so what. We're not that desperate that we can't miss a rejected player here & there.

If he has such severe issues then I think we shouldn't offer him a senior spot prior to testing him as a rookie.

It is RUMOURED that he was offered a 1 year deal and he turned it down.

Lets all be mindful of that.

Guest Schtacker

Christ it has been there a month but that bomberblitz thread has over 500 posts in it!

I hate things that remind me of how outnumbered we are

I know thats a possibility that we'll miss him, but really, so what. We're not that desperate that we can't miss a rejected player here & there.

If he has such severe issues then I think we shouldn't offer him a senior spot prior to testing him as a rookie.

Some coaches have got the confidence in themselves to get the best out of players, and will take a punt on a 20yo who may have some issues. Plus, any kid who gets picked up late in the draft, is a risk of some sort.

Give me a wayward kid with talent ahead of a try hard who's a model citizen.

Christ it has been there a month but that bomberblitz thread has over 500 posts in it!

I hate things that remind me of how outnumbered we are

And there's a fair bit of handwringing over him being delisted. Here's what Wisbey wrote about him:-

HISLOP, Tom (20 Essendon) [10]

Aggressive powerhouse. Plug n play. Versatile bullish onballer/flanker who can play small or above his height, has fairly good pace, takes no prisoners, always gives a contest and gets a lot of contested ball but currently doesn't look for, take or hit the right option often enough - too often kicks long instead of looking for short options (hand or foot). Other main concern AFL-wise might be over-aggression. Main selling points are physicality, competitiveness, courage, intensity, overhead, endurance, balance, strength, consistency. Trademarks are (1) Hardball get, then hurried disposal, (2) Crunch a pack or an opponent, perhaps taking a very strong mark that he has no right to take. Often clean, especially at ground level in "static" situations (although not "routinely: clean overall). If not for the somewhat high number of blind and other inaccurate kicks, I would rank him about #5. I love his competitiveness and aggression at both man and ball but he must start getting better return from his possession tally. Kicking was better in VFL than at U18. He is not a bad kick per se. Good depth and dual-sided. The issue is reliability. Kicking style needs work. He tilts to the left, which limits your error margin over a short distance, and his arm movements need work. IMHO it is important for both arms to work virtually in sync, helping your body stay balanced, both laterally and vertically. Hislop's arms are way out of synch and affect his centre-of-mass transfer and his ability to kick directly through the ball. Left arm often spends time bent at 90 degrees upwards then comes forward and across his body, while his right arm stays back, hangs down and does nothing. By the end of his kick he is often off-balance. Those faults should be fairly "easily" fixed and will make a big difference to his kicking reliability. Hislop and Armitage are similar types, age, great endurance and both are virtually plug 'n play. Both courageous hardnuts with good work rate and both with sub-optimal disposal. Hislop has more pace, is a bit physically stronger, and is the better kick. Hislop arguably has greater impact too. I would definitely take Hislop over Armitage, much as I admire Armitage. Jetta is X-factor vs risk but is a very quick, electrifying magician and is capable of being a quality user (not that he is yet). Hislop is none of those but he will deliver for you every time, whereas Jetta will switch on when it suits him. Jetta's pace, daring, flair and disposal makes him potentially much more of an impact player. Hislop is more a player who stops the opposition having impact through his hardness at man and ball but he too can turn a game. Likes to take opponents on and carry the ball and is often, although not routinely, judicious. Astute in corralling an opponent but usually prefers the bone-crunching tackle or bump. I have been impressed re how very switched on and intelligent he is at the 1/4, 3/4 huddles. With ever-increasing sophistication of team game plans, being able to be on the same page as the coach is more important than ever. Exceptionally strong overhead for his size, especially the big screamer from behind but can mark from any angle/position and attacks his marks / hits the pack like there's no tomorrow. He is on the slower end of the "quick midfielder" scale rather than the quicker end of the "slightly slowish midfielder" scale. Probably best suited to HBF or onball but, despite being only 184cm, is versatile enough to play anywhere down the flanks. Could be exposed by a very quick or very tall opponent but, even then, is likely to be at least mainly competitive, such is his ability to play tall yet also have enough pace and smarts to know where to run, how to cut angles and how to pressure both aerially and at ground level. Has the motor and competitiveness to become an excellent run-with (in time) and that's the role in which I possibly favour him.

Hmmm ...

Some coaches have got the confidence in themselves to get the best out of players, and will take a punt on a 20yo who may have some issues. Plus, any kid who gets picked up late in the draft, is a risk of some sort.

Give me a wayward kid with talent ahead of a try hard who's a model citizen.

I know all about the risk, there's allways risk that most players won't cut it, but the way he's been cut off so suddenly without any takers @ the preseason draft suggests some serious issue. If he's blueing with all & sundry at the club then nothing more than a rookie position should be offered.

Remember this kid has some talent & drew no interest for trade???

If you take all that as read, it's still a surprise decision in Tom's case. Bradley had played quite a bit of footy, and his limitations were clear for all to see. Hislop is still just so young. As far as the rest of the football world is concerned, including EFC members, the fact he's gone is considered borderline premature.

Now I would consider it mandatory that no footy department follows the whims of a fanbase, naturally. Especially if this site is anything to go by. But in Tom's case, it's clear whatever he did wrong (and he must have made a wrong step SOMEWHERE) he did behind closed doors.

Knights' reputation, and that of his recruiters and footy department will now be scrutinised more deeply, as a result of both Bradley and now Hislop. I don't think it's outrageous to suggest this either.

The mistake of recruiting him? That's clear now, and you're right. But the mistake of letting him go, when he could go to another club and play good footy, that will (possibly) come.

As for whether or not he will be picked up... Come on RR. Given that there's basically no-one good nominating so far, it's fair enough to say that he's likely to be picked up. Not as much as, say, Nick Naitanui... but still pretty darn likely. If we see a wave of highly rated but wayward youngsters let go by list-lodgement time, then I'll retract that. But at this stage, I'm gonna say he's a monty to end up at another club.

"I have no evidence of any off field or atttitude issues and I dont see why some are unfairly speculating about it."

Well that's simple. He's a top 20 draft pick with 2 years at a club. His development hasn't gone amazingly, but it hasn't stalled either. He had some injury complaints, but nothing (public) that suggests his career is finished. We don't know the facts. One thing's for certain, there is more to this than we know. Hence, we speculate. But yes. Much of it is unfair...

"Sylvia's issue was a once off matter that I think is separate to the assessment of his football talent."

True.

for once i agree with you dappa!!!

i like this kid alot and would love to take him pick 1 in the PSD

he went pick 20 in 2006 and according to sum he can really play!!

a hard nut midfielder!!!

Ok...., so I take it Charlie Gardiner has got the flick then? :(

If he isn't picked up in the ND or the PSD and he wants to be on an AFL list next season then he probably won't have much of a choice.

If he's still available late in the ND / at all in the PSD (presuming no other viable options come up) then I'm struggling to think of any convincing reasons why Hislop shouldn't be seriously looked at. Admittedly I don't know too much about the kid, but based on the above write-ups, the fact that he was taken at #20 in the draft two years ago and the amount of consternation on the Essendon boards about his delisting, I'm going to presume that he must have some identifiable ability. Of course the (rumoured) off-field concerns should be taken into consideration, but - ultimately - off-field issues can be fixed, an absense of on-field talent cannot.

So if it comes down to it, I'd probably prefer to see us take Hislop over any of the other speculative options that are likely to be available at that end of the draft. If it doesn't come off, then it doesn't come off, but then the odds would suggest that the next best option (a 5th round smokey) probably won't come off either.