State your draft preferences

Little Goffy

I don't know about you but idle speculation helps keep the suspense from killing me.

I have assumed that Carroll is delisted successfully, and Wonaeamirri promoted, or that Carroll is not delisted and as a consequence Wona stays on the rookie list until round one, whereupon Carroll is declared long-term $#$% and Wona gets promoted then. Either way, six picks total in this year's draft.

My preferences, with a little luck going our way, but fairly realistic.

1. Jack Watts.

Talked about so much I don't thing I'll add more here. Bankable Key Forward.

17. This is the one I've struggled with - Shaun McKernan would be great if he dropped this far, which sounds very unlikely. Mobile, reasonably tall (196cm) - kind of a second Paul Johnson? Aaron Cornelius mostly ditto, and somewhat more realistically available at pick 17, but is a little shorter and I'm keen on some full-size forwards. Jordan Lisle is mentioned mostly as a defender, but descriptions of him as disciplined and athletic (also 196cm) makes me think of what we currently lack a bit of up forward. If Lisle is what is left, maybe take O'Keefe here and then Lisle at 19, as he is mostly tipped as a mid-late 20s selection.

19. Rhyse O'Keefe - 'Cos we couldn't afford the other 'ROK'. The words 'run' and 'kicking' keep getting mentioned in his strengths, as does footy smarts. Generally tipped to go early-mid 20s, so 19 should do the job.

35. Kade Klemke - comments made on him are along the lines of tough, smart, skillful, and does team things. ALL of the phantom drafts have him going in the late 30s early 40s.

51. Anyone's guess. But may I suggest a pure ruckman? They are scattered all over the place this draft, with a lot being mentioned only as speculative very late picks. Even if we get McKernan at 17, a pure ruckman for the future is a must. We will use this pick to get whichever of those speculative ruckmen we prefer.

67. Pass (to reserve for PSD)

PSD -

1. Steven Armstrong. Hey, he's a premiership player, and at some point someone or other on Demonland has tagged most of our list with 'we'll never win a premiership with x in our team', so clearly Arma is a superior player... :blink:

or

1. A low-profile player with a good attitude, smart and with the core athletic ability and attitude to succeed, who we have taken the extra time to identify during the gap between ND and PSD. eg. Stefan Martin.

Watts at 1, lock it in.

I'd like a tall and a mid at 17 and 19. I think the weagles will be looking for a mid at 18 if they get Naita at 2 or a tall if they grab Rich. The order of our picks at 17 and 19 should therefore depend on who goes at 2. It's impossible to know who'll be left but the mids I'd take are Blease, Swift, Hill, Robinson and Strauss in that order. At least one of those should slip far enough. If any of McKernan, Trengrove or Johnston slip to 17 I'd grab them straight away (esp McK &Tren) but I think it more likely our second tall will be one of Roughead, Shoenmakers or Cornelius. If McKernan and Trengrove are both gone as expected I'd be tempted to go after Roughead even though 19 could be a little high for him. I like the idea of a ruckman/forward.

I don't know about you but idle speculation helps keep the suspense from killing me.

I have assumed that Carroll is delisted successfully, and Wonaeamirri promoted, or that Carroll is not delisted and as a consequence Wona stays on the rookie list until round one, whereupon Carroll is declared long-term $#$% and Wona gets promoted then. Either way, six picks total in this year's draft.

My preferences, with a little luck going our way, but fairly realistic.

1. Jack Watts.

Talked about so much I don't thing I'll add more here. Bankable Key Forward.

17. This is the one I've struggled with - Shaun McKernan would be great if he dropped this far, which sounds very unlikely. Mobile, reasonably tall (196cm) - kind of a second Paul Johnson? Aaron Cornelius mostly ditto, and somewhat more realistically available at pick 17, but is a little shorter and I'm keen on some full-size forwards. Jordan Lisle is mentioned mostly as a defender, but descriptions of him as disciplined and athletic (also 196cm) makes me think of what we currently lack a bit of up forward. If Lisle is what is left, maybe take O'Keefe here and then Lisle at 19, as he is mostly tipped as a mid-late 20s selection.

19. Rhyse O'Keefe - 'Cos we couldn't afford the other 'ROK'. The words 'run' and 'kicking' keep getting mentioned in his strengths, as does footy smarts. Generally tipped to go early-mid 20s, so 19 should do the job.

35. Kade Klemke - comments made on him are along the lines of tough, smart, skillful, and does team things. ALL of the phantom drafts have him going in the late 30s early 40s.

51. Anyone's guess. But may I suggest a pure ruckman? They are scattered all over the place this draft, with a lot being mentioned only as speculative very late picks. Even if we get McKernan at 17, a pure ruckman for the future is a must. We will use this pick to get whichever of those speculative ruckmen we prefer.

67. Pass (to reserve for PSD)

PSD -

1. Steven Armstrong. Hey, he's a premiership player, and at some point someone or other on Demonland has tagged most of our list with 'we'll never win a premiership with x in our team', so clearly Arma is a superior player... blink.gif

or

1. A low-profile player with a good attitude, smart and with the core athletic ability and attitude to succeed, who we have taken the extra time to identify during the gap between ND and PSD. eg. Stefan Martin.

As for potential draftees, as I've never seen any of them play, so it's impossible to specify a player, other than it's a given that we'll pick up Jack Watts at no. 1.

However, this is the draft where we have to address our needs. Hawthorn did it in the year they picked up Roughhead and Frankilin. So here we go:

1. Watts

17. Quality mid

19. Quality mid

35. Ruckman / Key forward

51. Attacking defender

67. Pass

PSD: Best available

I'll buy another membership if Jack Watts isn't our first choice. (Just don't tell Mrs. Bob.)

17 and 19 will be where the heat and smarts come into play depending on who's already taken.

As such, it's too hard to call with quite a few talented players still in the mix at this stage.

I'd go tall and short, depending.

This will be one of the most interesting and hotly contested drafts ever. I can see each club taking their maximum alloted time before announcing their next pick.

Can't wait.

This will be one of the most interesting and hotly contested drafts ever. I can see each club taking their maximum alloted time before announcing their next pick.

Can't wait.

Me too. They should do it live 'prime time' on tv - about 7:30pm, it would rate through the roof if they built it up. The suspense, drama and emotion of the young kids being picked would be compelling.

My picks:-

1 - Watts

17 - TBC

19 - TBC

35 - TBC

51 - TBC

-_-

Me too. They should do it live 'prime time' on tv - about 7:30pm, it would rate through the roof if they built it up. The suspense, drama and emotion of the young kids being picked would be compelling.

1 - Watts

17 - TBC

19 - TBC

35 - TBC

51 - TBC

-_-

It would be the poorest rating show in history

no one really cares unless ur a die hard supporter

Patrick Heenen with PSD 1 if he is available

Guest Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

Edited for accuracy

1. Watts

17. Blease

19. Cornelius - Taken WAY too early

35. Lisle - Wont be there at #35 - swap him around with McKernan.

51. Sloane

67. Pass

PSD

1. DeLuca

If Melbourne are going to draft Jack Watts I would have thought that someone from the club would have gone to see his parents and give them the Melbourne view of what they are interested in doing...WCE/Freo and Port Adelaide have seen them....

1 - Watts

17 - TBC

19 - TBC

35 - TBC

51 - TBC

-_-

Better, yet, considering there isn't anything of note to see, why don't they play it live on the radio? Oh wait, they already do...

If Melbourne are going to draft Jack Watts I would have thought that someone from the club would have gone to see his parents and give them the Melbourne view of what they are interested in doing...WCE/Freo and Port Adelaide have seen them....

How about a source with that Zebraman? huh.gif

I'm sure the Melbourne recruiters will get down to meeting with Jack Watts and his parents. The National Draft is still quite a few weeks away.

I don't really care too much who Melbourne Draft. As long as they become STAR players and help us win matches. We need to become a champion team and not just a team of champions.

Premierships are why people play AFL.

Guest Golgothan

Then you would've thought wrong. It has been widely stated that last year Carlton has barely said boo to Kruezer before the draft and he had no idea they were going to take him until they called him the night before the draft.

Those other 3 clubs might have said "if you happen to fall to our pick, we'll take you and you can stay in melbourne to finish VCE" ala Dangerfield, because all 3 would require a lot more of Watts to go to them. Going to melbourne is a lot simpler (he can stay at home while he finishes school and not have to worry about moving away at the end of the year) and they also need to try to keep the No.1 pick somewhat confidential.

Maybe Melbourne has spoken to Watts and his family and they're just not saying, but they don't mind telling people about the others because they know he'll be staying at home?

Frankly I am not fussed - there are plenty of very good options at all points of the draft.

But, I only want players with at least some level of toughness, who enjoy and seek out a contest. Big or small, that is a minimum.

I've waxed and waned, changed my mind, viewed footage, etc, and have locked in my preferences for the 2008 draft.

As follows:

Pick 1. Jack Watts

Pick 17. Ryan Schoenmakers

Pick 19. Rhys O'Keefe

Pick 35. Sam Wright

I really like Matthew Broadbent and Strauss, but they won't be there at 35. If either of my listed picks at 17 or 19 are gone I'd be happy with these two. I also really like Walters. Jared Redden will be a very good ruckman, but I doubt he'll slip to 51. I've not named a preference for 51 as it's too difficult to even guess who'll be available.

Naturally if there was a player such as Trengove, Sidebottom, etc, slip to 17 I'd be stoked, but it won't happen. It's going to be a great draft and there are so many players that look good, but those I've listed would please me no end.

Six weeks is a long time to wait.

Guest Schtacker

I've waxed and waned, changed my mind, viewed footage, etc, and have locked in my preferences for the 2008 draft.

As follows:

Pick 1. Jack Watts

Pick 17. Ryan Schoenmakers

Pick 19. Rhys O'Keefe

Pick 35. Sam Wright

I really like Matthew Broadbent and Strauss, but they won't be there at 35. If either of my listed picks at 17 or 19 are gone I'd be happy with these two. I also really like Walters. Jared Redden will be a very good ruckman, but I doubt he'll slip to 51. I've not named a preference for 51 as it's too difficult to even guess who'll be available.

Naturally if there was a player such as Trengove, Sidebottom, etc, slip to 17 I'd be stoked, but it won't happen. It's going to be a great draft and there are so many players that look good, but those I've listed would please me no end.

Six weeks is a long time to wait.

You make it sound like you've seen any of them play. impressed.

Well, being a keen under 18's watcher I feel I should throw in my 2 cents.

Ive seen all the state rep teams play at least once.

Ive been questioning our picks all year.

But im pretty certain what players id like to get.

Pick 1: Jack Watts, 195.8cm's and about 86 kilos. Make no mistake anybody who questions this guy as number 1, he deserves to be and is the best kid in the land.

Rich will be great, Naitanui will be an exciting player, and Vickery may just end up better than both of those two but Watts will be a sure fire superstar in a few years time and both WA teams would pick him given the chance.

Pick 17: Got two players I like for this pick, David Zaharakis and Mitch Robinson, both these players are midfielders and could very well be ready made, Zaharakis is a tremendous leader, can kick goals and will die for his clubs jumper. Robinson was a top age player in the champs this year and is ready made, a great talent and would play in our starting 22 next season as a midfielder.

Pick 19: Matthew Deboer and Jordan Roughead, either of these guys will be great. Before the draft camp alot of people slammed Deboer for not being quick enough, once he killed off those critics with his impressive sprint times he has shown he deserves to be picked top 20. His skills are good enough for a kid his age and he is an accumalator of possessions, he could average 25 per game. Roughead is a smart choice on a need basis here, he could become a very strong ruckman down the track, the vic country boy is the cousin of the Hawks Roughead and could learn with Spencer and play to hopefully be our starting ruckman someday.

Pick 35: Tough choices here, I like Mitch Banner but im not all to sure on him as an AFL player due to his size. a real go-getter who will kick goals and run all day, could be a good AFL player. I also like Jarred Redden here, he is a good young ruckman and if we decided not to pick up Roughead he would be a smart choice.

All this is on the basis that Blease, Hill, Swift etc won't be around at our picks.

Because im sorry everyone, I know we all want Blease for his pace, but he won't last to 17 in my opinion.

One that I would love to slide to 17 is Mckernan, he will be a very good AFL player, not a ruckman as he is in the 18's but a strong marking CHF with a booming kick, with Watts at FF and Mckernan at CHF we would be very dangerous in the future.

That being said I don't think he will slide and if we can pick up a quality mid at those picks I'll be happy.

Well, being a keen under 18's watcher I feel I should throw in my 2 cents.

Ive seen all the state rep teams play at least once.

Ive been questioning our picks all year.

But im pretty certain what players id like to get.

Pick 1: Jack Watts, 195.8cm's and about 86 kilos. Make no mistake anybody who questions this guy as number 1, he deserves to be and is the best kid in the land.

Rich will be great, Naitanui will be an exciting player, and Vickery may just end up better than both of those two but Watts will be a sure fire superstar in a few years time and both WA teams would pick him given the chance.

Pick 17: Got two players I like for this pick, David Zaharakis and Mitch Robinson, both these players are midfielders and could very well be ready made, Zaharakis is a tremendous leader, can kick goals and will die for his clubs jumper. Robinson was a top age player in the champs this year and is ready made, a great talent and would play in our starting 22 next season as a midfielder.

Pick 19: Matthew Deboer and Jordan Roughead, either of these guys will be great. Before the draft camp alot of people slammed Deboer for not being quick enough, once he killed off those critics with his impressive sprint times he has shown he deserves to be picked top 20. His skills are good enough for a kid his age and he is an accumalator of possessions, he could average 25 per game. Roughead is a smart choice on a need basis here, he could become a very strong ruckman down the track, the vic country boy is the cousin of the Hawks Roughead and could learn with Spencer and play to hopefully be our starting ruckman someday.

Pick 35: Tough choices here, I like Mitch Banner but im not all to sure on him as an AFL player due to his size. a real go-getter who will kick goals and run all day, could be a good AFL player. I also like Jarred Redden here, he is a good young ruckman and if we decided not to pick up Roughead he would be a smart choice.

When I first saw Deboer move he reminded me of a young Geoff Raines. He really does have nice balance with a low centre of gravity. But on the day I saw him at Casey Fields his kicking was terrible. Twice running into an open goal from 30 metres under little pressure he sprayed them everywhere. I like what I see, but his kicking is a concern.

I hope we don't get Mitch Robinson. He's tall, takes the game on, but he just doesn't reek of class. He reminds me of a rich mans Josh Thurgood, the gutsy Hawthorn redhead with bad skills. I did say 'Rich' mans.

I also like Zaharakis, but as time has gone on I wonder whether picks 17 or 19 are too early for him. He'll be a really solid AFL citizen, but I'm hoping for a bit more.

Make no mistake, this is the most important draft in Melbourne's recent history. Melbourne need to unearth a couple of out and out stars in this draft. Even down to pick 51 we should get a very good player, such is the strength of the draft. I'm hoping we pick players with class that have genuine upside to become stars of the competition and I'm not sure that Robinson or Zaharakis fall into that category. We need more than just good footballers, we really need some stars.

O'Keefe and Schoenmakers are 2 classic left footers who'd be in the top 3 or 4 kicks in the draft - just behind Rich, and they both love a contest. Schoenmakers has grown to 194cms, is a good mark and placed in the top 10 for quickest over 20 metres at DC. I salivate at the thought of Watts and Schoenmakers roaming the front half of the ground. O'Keefe is hard at it, 187cms, a good mark, was named on a hbf in the AA side after the under 18 Carnival and won South Australia's award for most valuable player. A running midfield role beckons. Importantly, both have x factor.

Now I know that there's not a hope in Haiti that I'll get what I want, but it's still fun analysing the likely prospects. It's a long wait til draft day.

It would be the poorest rating show in history

no one really cares unless ur a die hard supporter

Patrick Heenen with PSD 1 if he is available

Settle down Nugget.. I said TBC (to be confirmed - if you want me to spell it out for you, in other words I'll get back to it..)

So here it is after a little more research: -

1. Watts

17. Schoenmakers

19. Zaharkis

35. Redden

51. This pick is open slather, as a guess - would be used based on the clubs needs. Ie Ruckman? will be influenced at what we got at 17,19,35.

PSD1 - Who is out of contract? Tom Lonergan? Marc Murphy?

I would be very happy with the above four picks. Highly unlikely I know as 16 clubs are involved. But I think these four are around the mark at these numbers - but it wouldn't surprise me if Schoenmakers or Zaharkis went earlier than 17 and 19. But, we'll see. I would of had Blease in at 17, but I think he will go earlier to another club.