Ryan O'Keefe - Mixed reports

H_T

Ultimately, if Ryan O'Keefe nominates for the preseason draft, then it is up to Melbourne, not O'Keefe, whether we pick him or not. He can nominate his price, but we're in no worse position to match it than anyone else. The thing is, do we want to? Given that he's at the tail end of his career, and will be commanding a lot of money for a half forward flanker. I'd be interested for sure though.

He has to decide whether he wants to play for a contender in Sydney, or just come home now. He won't get to a contender in Victoria now that the trading period has passed. As others have noted, if he's not taken by Melbourne, he'll go to Richmond or Carlton, neither of whom will be in flag mode in the next 2 years with or without him. I'd stay in Sydney if I was O'Keefe.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A player who nominates for the PSD can put a price tag on his head, and its reported that he is going to put $600,000 per year, and ROK knows that there are only are few clubs who can afford that, and that is how he can get to the club of his choice

Add number 1 pick.

Sylvia about tp explode.

Possibly add O'Keefe.

Why cant we make the Finals?

This is why...

Scott Stevens

Michael Doughty

Andrew McLeod

Nathan Bassett

Tyson Edwards

Graham Johncock

Nick Gill

Simon Goodwin

Chris Knights

Brad Symes

Kris Massie

Scott Thompson

Robert Shirley

Ivan Maric

Brad Moran

Nathan Bock

Nathan van Berlo

David Mackay

Ben Rutten

Bernie Vince

Richard Douglas

Kurt Tippett

This is the Adelaide side of the 2008 finals team. The most under performed team of The series IMO. This is even WITHOUT Burton and Porplyzia.

Do you really think that the 2009 Melbourne side stacks up with this?

Slyvia about to expload is very questionable.

Players like Morton dont become superstars until they have had about 3 years in the system.

#1 Draft pick? Not a ready made footballer.

Again Y_M, god I hope youre on the money. Melbourne SERIOUSLY, are 3 years away from seriously contesting the finals again.

A player who nominates for the PSD can put a price tag on his head, and its reported that he is going to put $600,000 per year, and ROK knows that there are only are few clubs who can afford that, and that is how he can get to the club of his choice

If he wants to return to Victoria, It might not be wise for him to price himself out out of MFC.

There are a few interstate clubs below us and they will bite. Does he really want to roll the dice?

My money's on him staying at the Swans but if he doesn't, i can't see him going past WCE in PSD. They've retired older players, Judd and brought nothing but kids. Money should be no problem.

Get O'keefe.

This is why...

Scott Stevens

Michael Doughty

Andrew McLeod

Nathan Bassett

Tyson Edwards

Graham Johncock

Nick Gill

Simon Goodwin

Chris Knights

Brad Symes

Kris Massie

Scott Thompson

Robert Shirley

Ivan Maric

Brad Moran

Nathan Bock

Nathan van Berlo

David Mackay

Ben Rutten

Bernie Vince

Richard Douglas

Kurt Tippett

This is the Adelaide side of the 2008 finals team. The most under performed team of The series IMO. This is even WITHOUT Burton and Porplyzia.

Do you really think that the 2009 Melbourne side stacks up with this?

Slyvia about to expload is very questionable.

Players like Morton dont become superstars until they have had about 3 years in the system.

#1 Draft pick? Not a ready made footballer.

Again Y_M, god I hope youre on the money. Melbourne SERIOUSLY, are 3 years away from seriously contesting the finals again.

Thats fair enoiugh.

Just remember though that nobody saw the Bombers coming in 1993 with a team of kids.

Yeah that's probably right. Lucky Carlton. But I guess in a few years time when players start coming out of contract, they'll have some salary cap issues.

I'd definitely take him. The u23 approach to trading makes a lot of sense but the view that anyone over the age of 27 is surplus to requirements is becoming a little frustrating. The "they won't be around when we challenge for a premiership" approach doesn't sit well with me. Players like Green and O'Keefe have both proven to have sound bodies and can potentially player for another 4 - 5 seasons. Players with their finishing skills can fulfill a role well into their 30's. If Melbourne progresses at a similar rate to Hawthorn, these guys might just have a chance of finishing their careers with a flag. Both are excellent role models and provide much needed leadership. I'm glad Green has stayed and would welcome O'Keefe with open arms particular at a time when the PSD offers little to excite. He is essentially a free hit. Will he end up with us? Probably not. But jeez we're due to land a fish sometime soon.

the view that anyone over the age of 27 is surplus to requirements is becoming frustrating

I totally agree.

What's the alternative - picking up an 18 year old that wasn't good enough to be selected in the national draft and have a 90% chance of being nowhere near as good as O'Keefe.

I'd definitely take him. The u23 approach to trading makes a lot of sense but the view that anyone over the age of 27 is surplus to requirements is becoming a little frustrating. The "they won't be around when we challenge for a premiership" approach doesn't sit well with me. Players like Green and O'Keefe have both proven to have sound bodies and can potentially player for another 4 - 5 seasons. Players with their finishing skills can fulfill a role well into their 30's. If Melbourne progresses at a similar rate to Hawthorn, these guys might just have a chance of finishing their careers with a flag. Both are excellent role models and provide much needed leadership. I'm glad Green has stayed and would welcome O'Keefe with open arms particular at a time when the PSD offers little to excite. He is essentially a free hit. Will he end up with us? Probably not. But jeez we're due to land a fish sometime soon.

at last, some sense!

We will have a better team than Carlton and Richmond, and I bet they are both aiming for Finals.

Y_M you dont honestly think we have a better list than Carlton do you????????? Please tell me your joking???

Gibbs, Judd, Murphy, Kruzer, Warnock, Stevens, Fevola, Walker alone would beat our current team....

you idiot...

Totally agree. Young players develop quicker with better players around them.

The argument of "they won't be around when we challenge for a premiership" is folly.

Y_M you dont honestly think we have a better list than Carlton do you????????? Please tell me your joking???

Gibbs, Judd, Murphy, Kruzer, Warnock, Stevens, Fevola, Walker alone would beat our current team....

you idiot...

Gibbs - overrated pansy, Morton will be twice as good

Judd - groins are stuffed, wil decline raodily next year

Murphy - overrated, midget with crap disposal

Kreuzer - could be good

Warnock - lol, 20 games and has done nothing. And is anorexic

Stevens - youre kidding me

Fevola - ok, good full forward

Walker - HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Gibbs - overrated pansy, Morton will be twice as good

Judd - groins are stuffed, wil decline raodily next year

Kreuzer - could be good

Warnock - lol, 20 games and has done nothing. And is anorexic

Stevens - youre kidding me

Fevola - ok, good full forward

Walker - HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Mods ..... put this [censored] on meds. ;)

Yes, all that amazing talent and they won just 10 games.

They also won 10 games in 2004, the year David Teague won their B and F.

Mods ..... put this [censored] on meds. ;)

He actually has a point.

Carlton have absolutely no depth. Yes they have Judd and their #1 draft picks but they have no backline to speak of and besides Fev nothing up forward.

Incorrect. 2nd in Best & Fairest. Rated highly by opposition clubs. Disposal better than every mfc player at present.

Please, learn the game first before you comment.