The National Draft - some thoughts

sylvinator

Guest red and blue thru n thru

For me

Pic1. Watts

Pic17.blease/swift hoping ones still available

Pic19.One of the above or the best tall forward available.

(also Hard,tough and gutsier players should be a preference).

Sylvinator, yours is the post of the year. Thanks. A good thread too.

Personally, I'd tlike o see more class (and pace) injected into the midfield - and I hope the MFC uses picks 17 & 19 for that. Using those picks for midfielders is arguably the better percentage play too.

Do you pass up talls in a draft that many experts say is the best and deepest for talls that there's been ? And it's thought that there's not likely to be such a rich vain of talent any time soon.

Clubs will rate the draft in order. If a quality tall is available at 17 or 19 it would be pretty hard to pass up I imagine.

You seem to expect that 17 or 18 year olds are the finished product. At 17 or 19 we're not going to be selecting the complete midfielder. It's all going to be about which package we think we have the best shot at turning into a gem. In the case of Hill, it seems you're on the money in regards his weakness. Composure comes with experience and hopefully good coaching. It's tough to teach speed and agility.

On the other hand, I have seen very few weak kicks really improve to the point where they were elite standard. The funny thing about these draft camps is they test for a lot of things but not kicking under pressure. We can't afford to take players @ picks under #20 whose skills are poor in this area.

Not necessarily. If our recruiting staff deemed the KPP as a much better prospect than the midfielder, then I would be happy to go for the KPP. But if there are a bunch of players that we rate around the same mark, and that bunch includes KPPs and midfielders, then I'd like us to err towards midfielders.

I don't think it's absolutely critical to have two gun tall KP forwards (assuming Watts will develop into our gun tall KP forward). It is critical though to have a few gun midfielders.

Having thought about it Scoop, you're probably right. Our midfield is what needs the most strengthening atm.

However if this draft is a particularly strong draft for talls, we might not be able to resist. can never have enough KP depth i guess.

appreciate the feedback. Scoop Junior, WJ and Sylvinator are by far my favourite posters on demonland! It's as if we're all on the same wave length or something

Having thought about it Scoop, you're probably right. Our midfield is what needs the most strengthening atm.

However if this draft is a particularly strong draft for talls, we might not be able to resist. can never have enough KP depth i guess.

appreciate the feedback. Scoop Junior, WJ and Sylvinator are by far my favourite posters on demonland! It's as if we're all on the same wave length or something

Quite a convincing argument... Our midfield in definitely in need of strengthening, so perhaps 2 midfielders at 17 and 19 is the way to go!

Perhaps even a ruckman- ala Roughead- could be in the mix at 19?

thank you for the kind words DemonWithin.... you may post less than others however you are always extremely insightful... you're definitely up there with Scoop and WJ!

Pick #1 Jack Watts

Pick #17 Toughest Mid in the draft available

Pick # 19 Toughest KPP available

Pick #35 Another tough mid

So its Luke Molan at 19 then.........Unless there is a KPP that has fallen to us which we rated alot higher we should be taking ball carrying mids with toe at 17/19. Blease, Swift, Robinson, Zaharakis or players of similar vein.

I like the sound of Schoenmakers. Tallish, versatile and tested well at DC. On top of that there's a fair chance if we can get him we might be able to convince Ferrari to come on board as a major sponsor!

who's that Ferrari formal hire !! :lol: Give those Doggies a shake !! ;)

Pick 35 - Rory Sloane if he gets that far!

I couldn't agree more. I love the way he plays, and he is the kind of defender we want. He reminds me a lot of Campbell Brown.

for me:

1. Watts

17. Swift

19. Cornelius

35. Sloane

Guest red and blue thru n thru
I couldn't agree more. I love the way he plays, and he is the kind of defender we want. He reminds me a lot of Campbell Brown.

for me:

1. Watts

17. Swift

19. Cornelius

35. Sloane

if he is any thing like campbell brown im on board.

Just get some speed in the midfield. That's the priority!

Also if McKernan turns out to be half as good as his brother was in his North days, then we could be onto something.

The let-down of trade week will be offset by a great draft for the MFC. I reckon we'll be get a gem at pick 17!

The McKernan brothers are very much alike but remember, they're playing in entirely different eras. The younger version is unlike his older brother in that he's unlikely to play in the ruck. I do like the prospect of him as a marking tall but would he be a available at 17?

Guest paxino27
How many picks does everyone think we will use...who has left this year to make way for these picks, assuming we also save at least one for the Pre-season draft...

We'll use our first 4 picks in the national draft and pick 1 in the PSD. Once they've fired Carroll, delisted Meesen and promoted Spencer, Valentti and Wonn that leaves those five spots available. And here's who I think we should draft.

1. Watts

17. Blease

19. Roughead

35. Lisle

PSD

1. Lonergan if available, if not Lee.

MFC has clearly looked for every way to get out of paying Carrol's salary, but one things for certain. he won't be playing for us next year.

Out: 7

Neitz, Yze, White, Holland, Carrol, Weetra, Bode

In:

pick1,17,19,35,51

PSD 1

Elevate Wonamearri.

Keep Spenser and Valenti on the rookie list one more season.

MFC has clearly looked for every way to get out of paying Carrol's salary, but one things for certain. he won't be playing for us next year.

In:

pick1,17,19,35,51

PSD 1

Elevate Wonamearri.

do u think zomer will last long?

In:

pick1,17,19,35,51

PSD 1

Elevate Wonamearri.

Keep Spencer and Valenti on the rookie list one more season.

I think that's the most likely scenario. There's no urgent need to promote Valenti (Robertson on the LTIL means Valenti can still play) or Spencer.

Carroll will go, partly because I don't think he can't afford to have his dirty deeds publicly exposed in any civil action.

In:

pick1,17,19,35,51

PSD 1

Elevate Wonamearri.

Thanks silvinator...that seems like a logical scenario...i wander whether there might be one more player delisted that could be slightly left field...

Using all of the picks you mentioned is essential so i guess it will depend on whether they think they should promote Valenti as well.

In:

pick1,17,19,35,51

PSD 1

Elevate Wonamearri.

do you think they won't want to use pick 66?

do you think they won't want to use pick 66?

I think it's fairly certain Wonaeamirri will be upgraded from the rookie list. He is a cult figure in the afl already and we need good publicity!

He is in our best 22 i would think and he had a really good year. Well deserving of a place on the list.

In that case, we will not use pick 66 UNLESS we delist one more player before the draft.

I'm not sure if this will happen, we can only speculate.

Zomer played sandy ressies most of the year didn't show too much. Next year he must be kicking regular goals at sandy seniors if he wants a chance to prolong his afl career.

Spenser could be our next rookie listed ruckman who makes good (Jolly, Jamar etc). he looks promising well worth developing.

Valenti looks good but i'd keep him on the rookie list. he's a solid depth player imo in case of a long term injury.