Aside from Warnock, will the MFC chase players from other clubs?

Bring-Back-Powell

In the event that Warnock turns our offer down and chooses to stay at Freo OR gets traded to Carlton or Richmond, will we chase any other players with AFL experience?

Would we use our prized PSD pick on the best available un-contracted player or draft a kid that was overlooked in the national draft.

Your thoughts?

Would you rather draft a 23 year old player with 70 games under his belt or take the punt on a raw 18 year old who got overlooked in the national draft?

If a was a recruiter, i would trade for R.Warncok (3rd rounder) so that we could still use the PSD pick.

players we could look to seduce into the PSD:

- B.Dowler/M.Thorp/Boyle--- these are 3 KP forwards, all behind Roughy,Franklin. surely one of them would be looking for a team with more opportunities? MFC could offer any of these 3 a guerenteed forward position. My preference would be Thorp.

- Prismall---- sure he's playing the first final, but if he gets dropped for the granny, then surely he will leave for more opporunities elsewhere. He is the 22nd best player at Geelong but would probably be our best player.

Could be:

Pick 1- Rich/Naitnaui/Watts

pick 17- Blease

pick 19- Lewis Johnson

pick 51- Quick midfielder or small defender

pick1PSD- Thorp

trade- R.Warnock.

That would be rediculous....

Your thoughts?

Would you rather draft a 23 year old player with 70 games under his belt or take the punt on a raw 18 year old who got overlooked in the national draft?

Depends who that 23 yo is. Kinda hard to judge.

I was gungho on Kurt Tippett last year and wanted him instead of Meesen.

Have a look at all and sniff around Brent Reilly, Vince and Douglas.

Robbie Gray is also on the up. Maybe some DB influence can be persuasive. Pearce looks to be needing a change of scenery but i'll be wary of giving too much for him.

Where's Mitch Brown's knee at? Looked decent in his first year. Mitch Clarke, maybe looking for a change?

In the event that Warnock turns our offer down and chooses to stay at Freo OR gets traded to Carlton or Richmond, will we chase any other players with AFL experience?

Would we use our prized PSD pick on the best available un-contracted player or draft a kid that was overlooked in the national draft.

Your thoughts?

No doubt we will be looking around at other players. I attended a function with Chris Connolly earlier this year and he stated they have list of about 30 players they have in mind. Obviously a fair few of these would not even be offered up for trade or planning on walking into the pre-season draft and may have even re-signed with their own clubs since but I would think it would just be due dilligence of the club to have it in mind in case the right situation came up.

I noticed Mitch Clarke mentioned before here and he's one I wonder about too, kind of swinging in his roles at Brisbane it seems.

No..we will just sit around twindling our thumbs..waiting for the tea and lamingtons !!:rolleyes:

In the event we dont get Warnock..we will OF COURSE look to others.

The name of the game is you use your picks..wherever..to get teh best possible players..available at that moment..in that place.

there is also the option of rookie-ing someone passed overin teh draft also....;)

Your thoughts?

Who's better ?? quite a few players with games.. doesnt mean they might get that 71st game..they may have been found wanting..admittedly 70 games is a long while to have this occur..but !!

Again..its who's better. Does teh experience of the 70 gamer outweigh the ability ( if un realised) of the kid ?

Again..it will come down to what we need..at that time..and what's available

There is NO easy answer to any of this...when we can see names on lists..( drafts) much more will make sense.

Guest skipper3

Could not see Geelong getting rid of Prismall now. They really rate him down there & the club will not turn their back on the young fella now.

Also, would we want to get a player who we wont have at all next year??

Prismall did his ACL today- perfect, he'll be out of Geelong

that'll bring his value down as well. still worth getting IMO

warnock and prismall, trying not to use picks- use PSD for one

Bob, what is the story on Dowler? Has he been injured this year? Has he got ability? Will he ever get a game with the Hawks given their talent? Is he worth chasing?

He's played the whole year for Box Hill.

He started really slowly playing CHF and struggling to have an impact. Half way through the year he looked certain trade bait for the end of the year.

A new role was created for him as a Richo style wingman and he has thrived in that position in the second half of the year.

Nonetheless because of Hawthorn’s abundance of tall forwards you would think he’d be way down the pecking order and still be put on the table come trade week.

No..we will just sit around twindling our thumbs..waiting for the tea and lamingtons !!:rolleyes:

In the event we dont get Warnock..we will OF COURSE look to others.

Yes they will look at players from other clubs but I wouldn't be surprised it they do nothing about it. The club is dead keen on keeping all their draft picks, and I wouldn't be surprised if they use their pick 1 in the PSD on an 18 year old that was not good enough to be selected in the national draft.

No quick fixes at the MFC any more - fortunetly or unfortunetly depending on your point of view.. How I'd love to finally have a genuine A grader at the MFC like a Kerr or Cousins or Didak.

Yes they will look at players from other clubs but I wouldn't be surprised it they do nothing about it. The club is dead keen on keeping all their draft picks, and I wouldn't be surprised if they use their pick 1 in the PSD on an 18 year old that was not good enough to be selected in the national draft.

No quick fixes at the MFC any more - fortunetly or unfortunetly depending on your point of view.. How I'd love to finally have a genuine A grader at the MFC like a Kerr or Cousins or Didak.

When we have five or six picks in the ND why would we not go for an uncontracted AFL player with the PSD#1. It would be a waste of benefit of PSD#1 if we had to spend it a 7th round draft pick.

And you wont quick fix Club problems through the PSD anyway.

Go after a 22/23 year old with a few games under their belt. A raw 18 y.o is always a good risk, that said, he have had a few kids over the past few years who have not turned into the players we all though they would. Grabbing a player who is already looking the goods is safer than rolling the dice on another 18 year old.

And when i say a player "already looking the goods", i am not talking about a Meesen type player who COULD be good, I am talking about a disgruntled player who is getting a consistent run in another teams best 22. Someone that we can slot right in to be a part of our best 22.

There are many players who could do it, but the old "at that price" situation comes up. Given our current list, we would be mental to trade away any of our first few picks. And we know late picks will not land all that much.

Would love a Mitch Brown if he was available (his bro looks the goods down at collingwood), but is still not that proven young player we need.

I'd chase Brent Staker. A late second rounder for Brent would be a fantastic deal.

What about Ryan Gamble of Geelong. He looks the goods but can't get a look in because of the strength of that midfield.

I wouldn't waste a second rounder on Staker.

Would you take a 'punt' on Gamble? ;)

In all seriousness he could be an option worth pursuing, not sure Geelong would release him. But IMO I would want to hold onto our top 4 picks in the national draft...1,17,19,35.

Who would get you a top 10 pick in the current MFC list and who you be prepared to trade to get it?

I know the question was a little rhetorical, but the only way I could see us getting into the top 10 would be to give up Green and 17 or 19 for an 8, 9 or 10. Not that I want that, mind you.

Rivers and McLean would usually command a top 10 pick, but due to their injury problems, the club's on-field state and the importance of high drafts picks with the new teams coming in, you wouldn't be getting too many clubs wanting to offload prized picks now.