Voss takes Lions job

beelzebub

Y wouldn`t it work out?? If Dean Bailey can get a gig, I`m sure a 3 time premiership captain, all Australian, brownlow medialist!! could make it work!!.. Hrmmmm.. Michael Voss will be a wonderful coach, image playing like Melbourne did on the weekend, knowing at quarter time you gotta face Vossy!!! To be appointment so quick shows how respected he is from Brisbane!!

I don't know if this will work. Voss probably needed to spend some time as an assistant first. But I don't really care.

Explain why?? I don`t get how someone like vossy needs time as an assistant.. Also his been in a coaching program since hanging up the boots.

Michael Voss will be a wonderful coach,

based on ?? oh thats right..he ws a great player....yawn!!

Knowing and imparting are quite different traits.. He has absolutely NO runs on the board..

its a bit like all the fellas chasing the 'popular' pretty girl ...but has she a brain ??

The 'knowing' of football and the ability to create, direct, ,,,and manage all this is without any verifaciation in the instance of Voss. Getting your clubs fav boy isnt always the answer.

He may well work out...or he may not ( I know..insightful stuff )

Im just wondering if Brisbane have made the right choice.. personally I hope they havent and fall flat !! ;)

Explain why?? I don`t get how someone like vossy needs time as an assistant.. Also his been in a coaching program since hanging up the boots.

Knowing how the game works doesn't immediately mean a person will become a decent coach. On game day, Voss may find he doesn't have enough experience to know how to deal with in-game issues. I'm not saying he's definitely the wrong choice. I'm just saying I think they've rushed into what might not be the best choice.

its a bit like all the fellas chasing the 'popular' pretty girl ...but has she a brain ??

Well if your saying Michael Voss hasn`t got the smarts when it comes to being an AFL coach, you need help!! Some1 of his nature has only one way and thats success! Goodluck to him, i`m sure Vossy knows what he is doing!

Guest unstable punt
I don't know if this will work. Voss probably needed to spend some time as an assistant first. But I don't really care.

thats there problem, we've got plenty of our own

Well if your saying Michael Voss hasn`t got the smarts when it comes to being an AFL coach, you need help!! Some1 of his nature has only one way and thats success! Goodluck to him, i`m sure Vossy knows what he is doing!

If his coaching ability has anything to do with his commentary ability he will be a flop!!!

Jeez, calm down. But you're absolutlely right, great players should be trusted implicitly to become great coaches.

A great example would be Premiership coach Tim Watson - Great player, greater coach.

Knowing how the game works doesn't immediately mean a person will become a decent coach. On game day, Voss may find he doesn't have enough experience to know how to deal with in-game issues. I'm not saying he's definitely the wrong choice. I'm just saying I think they've rushed into what might not be the best choice.

If his coaching ability has anything to do with his commentary ability he will be a flop!!!

lol..lol bad!!! Bring back cannel 9 anyday!

Agree...just like Tim Watson. :unsure:

Time will tell. Iwould not be blowing trumpets. For all he was as a player there is no guarantee he will make it as a Coach. He could end up a spud!

To clarify the analogy....that which seems the goods...isnt always the case. ;)

'I don`t get how someone like vossy needs time as an assistant..'

Being one cog in a machine is vastly different to managing the entire machine.

He is a dead set rookie in the coaching game. Would you say with such certainty that Watts, who has dominated at the lower level, will also dominate at AFL from his first day? I imagine you'd say that he needs a lead in (year/s) mostly outside the main game to work up to the required level. True, one is more physical and one is more mental, but the principle still holds.

That transition is a lot smaller than the one Voss would undertake.

Ed: To answer the question, I think the first 3 years will seal his coaching fate one way or the other for good. Not saying much but it's in this time that he's likely to stuff up big time if he jumps straight in.

The club has said they know he is a novice but will "surround Voss with experienced assistants".

I've got no doubt he could Coach the team, but will he be able to Manage the wider football group?

Can't really use Tim Watson as an example of failure for a novice. He was not a favourite son at the saints.

I think Voss has got the power of personality and fast learning ability to succeed at Lions. That said, I hope he fails. Nothing personal...

Can't really use Tim Watson as an example of failure for a novice. He was not a favourite son at the saints.

:wacko:

Because he was a novice :rolleyes:

It would be irrelevant if he were some else's bastard child let alone a favourite son of any Club. Neither Voss nor Watson had any firm AFL experience at Coaching at an assistant level although both had stellar AFL careers

Your concern about managing the wider football group was one of Watson's major flaws..amongst others.

:wacko:

Because he was a novice :rolleyes:

It would be irrelevant if he were some else's bastard child let alone a favourite son of any Club. Neither Voss nor Watson had any firm AFL experience at Coaching at an assistant level although both had stellar AFL careers

Your concern about managing the wider football group was one of Watson's major flaws..amongst others.

RR, what I was attempting to get across was;

Watson was a novice.

Watson failed.

He was not a favourite son of St Kilda so the knives came out quickly. Had he been an ex St Kilda player he might have been more supported by the club.

Watson was flawed at MANAGING, probably due to inexperience.

As novices, Voss may succeed where Watson failed.

RR, what I was attempting to get across was;

Watson was a novice.

Watson failed.

He was not a favourite son of St Kilda so the knives came out quickly. Had he been an ex St Kilda player he might have been more supported by the club.

Watson was flawed at MANAGING, probably due to inexperience.

As novices, Voss may succeed where Watson failed.

Watson was a novice and failed. Voss is a novice and could easily go the same way.

Spare us the favourite son routine as St Kilda knife their own as well as they knife others. Ask Ross Smith and Grant Thomas. Its the same at any Club. If the Lions perform poorly next year the heat will be right on the novice.

I am not sure on what basis you think Voss will be better at managing than Watson. There is no evidence to suggest he is. In addition, there was a serious incident last year where Voss showed surprising immaturity in a situation that almost got him a criminal record.

Watson was a novice and failed. Voss is a novice and could easily go the same way.

Spare us the favourite son routine as St Kilda knife their own as well as they knife others. Ask Ross Smith and Grant Thomas. Its the same at any Club. If the Lions perform poorly next year the heat will be right on the novice.

I am not sure on what basis you think Voss will be better at managing than Watson. There is no evidence to suggest he is. In addition, there was a serious incident last year where Voss showed surprising immaturity in a situation that almost got him a criminal record.

I thought Voss might have more chance in the Managing area because he is a product of the Lions and is up with their culture.

Agree that Voss has personality flaws..

It will be an interesting period. If he fails, he fails. I really don't care!

Surely the best thing to come out of this is that we will no longer be subjected to Voss's vapid special comments. No longer must we turn on the TV of a Saturday avo/evening in fear of having a multitude of brain cells mercilessly exterminated.

As far as special comments go, he is only marginally better than Glen Jackovich. For his sake (and no other reason) I hope he is an infinitely better coach.