National 21 Addam Maric 4

National 53 Kyle Cheney 0

National 66 Tom McNamara 0

Pre 3 Stefan Martin 7

Rookie 3 Trent Zomer 0

Rookie 19 Austin Wonaeamirri 17

Rookie 35 Jake Spencer 0

Rookie 49 Shane Valenti 9

I can see at least 11 players from the last 4 years who can easily be 100 game players and big contributers.

These players are the core for the future.

There are not many picks here that I would give back....

2004 looks decent with Bate, Dunn and Newton. Confident all players will play 100, as long as Juice improves with form and consistency. Warnock appaears to be an effective rookie selection after we all wrote him off last year.

2005 is better as Bartram and Jones are first choice 22, and Buckley could potentially be a top 50 player in the AFL in a couple of years. The fact that Bartram and Buckley are fourth and fifth round draft picks reflects highly on CAC's ability to select late draft picks successfully.

2006 could very well be CAC's best effort given he got Petterd and Garland at post 30 picks. However if Frawley doesn't kick on (which I have my doubts on him) then you'd have to reasess CAC's selections for 2006. Weetra was obviously a blunder.

2007 is yet to be determined but CAC had something he's never had before...3 picks in the top 22. Morton looks like he'll be a very good player, but CAC will be scrutinsed if Palmer, Ward and Henderson turn out better. Grimes was a high risk high return pick due to injury and Maric was picked up. If Mc Namara and Cheney become regulars, then this will likely be CAC's greatest effort for the club.

Again we've been economical with our rookies with Warnock, Aussie, and Valenti all strong possibilties to be in our best 22 next year while Zomer could be a chance.

Overall I'm pretty happy with CAC's recent drafts, however it was the early 2000's which we are paying for at the moment, as we have a major gap in our 25-28 age group. This is why Geelong are so successful, as most of their players are in their mid 20's which is when most play their best footy.

Its interesting to note that of the 4 players that were picked up in the 2005 draft that have all currently played at senior level each one of them is a poor disposer of the ball (although I will concede Buckley appears to be improving).

Whilst there is some promise amongst the list you have assembled lets not forget that CAC was at the MFC for a long time and he along with Daniher were responsible for building and maintaining our list. They have both clearly failed in that area given our current pool of talent and our position on the ladder.

Dont count your chickens before their hatched.

I would wait at least 5 years before I get carried away with a draft year performance.

None of the players listed have achieved anything to get into raptures yet. Some still have question marks on them yet some posters seem rapt so far. Amazing.

There is some potential and IMO only Morton has the potential to develop into a "star". He still has a way to go to get there

I for one dont know about the 06 draft with our first selection of Frawley.

Still not sure about him as a player, i hope i become wrong but i just dont see anything special

Still not sure about him as a player, i hope i become wrong but i just dont see anything special

You are so right. A lot of people view this kid with rose coloured glasses, but I just can't see him being a genuine AFL player. I hope CAC hasn't stuffed up this critical pick 12 , given that we could've got our hands on blokes like Jack Riewoldt, Grigg, Houli, Urquhart...

Next year he should be starting 22 for the Dees...otherwise the jury will surely be out.

We have definitely done very well, despite not being able to land that 'superstar' or that CHF/CHB we've been praying for.

Another good indication of how well we have done can come down to the other players that we could have got with our picks.

Below are a couple of notibale players we could have selected (ie. the players that went after our pick, and before our next pick)

Note too that I have included eligible PSD & Rookie drafted players after our last picks in the national draft.

2004:

National 13 Matthew Bate Angus Monfries

National 15 Lynden Dunn Cameron Wood, Dean Polo, Nathan van Berlo, Brent Prismall

National 43 Michael Newton Justin Sherman, Brad Moran, Matthew Egan, Will Thursfield (Rookie), Josh Gibson (Rookie)

Rookie 10 Brendan Van Schaik Danyle Pearce, Clinton Young, Dale Morris, Harry O'Brien, John Griffen, Beau Wilkes

Rookie 26 Matthew Warnock Ryan Crowley, Aaron Edwards, Josh Drummond

2005:

National 12 Nathan Jones Shannon Hurn, Grant Birchall, Garrick Ibbotson

National 53 Simon Buckley Joel Patfull

National 60 Clint Bartram Mathew Stokes

National 68 Heath Neville Jason Porplyzia (PSD), Alan Toovey (Rookie)

Rookie 9 Jace Bode

Rookie 25 Daniel Hughes Matthew Priddis, Stpehen Gilham, Cameron Howat

Rookie 39 Shane Neaves Cheynee Stiller, Ben McGlynn, Kieran Jack, Ed Barlow

2006:

National 12 James Frawley Jack Riewoldt, Mitchell Brown, Leroy Jetta, Shaun Grigg, Albert Proud

National 30 Ricky Petterd Kurt Tippett, Jarryd Morton, Alwyn Davey, Bachar Houli

National 46 Colin Garland Kyle Reimers, Lindsay Thomas, Robert Gray, Josh Hill

National 62 Isaac Weetra Tyson Goldsack, Justin Westhoff, Aaron Edwards, David Rodan, Sharrod Wellingham (rookie)

Rookie 12 Daniel Hayes Jamie McNamara, Michael Jamison, Jake King, Jarrod Harbrow, Matt Campbell, Martin Clarke, Beau Wilkes

I have excluded the 2007 draft as it is too early to call on so many players.

I think he is a great size and has the althetic ability of the emerging modern day CHB - can't wait to see what he can produce next year after two years settling into the system and developing his body for AFL footy.

As i've outlined above, there proably isn't many other players you would consider getting instead of Frawley at Pick 12.

We have definitely done very well, despite not being able to land that 'superstar' or that CHF/CHB we've been praying for.

Another good indication of how well we have done can come down to the other players that we could have got with our picks.

Below are a couple of notibale players we could have selected (ie. the players that went after our pick, and before our next pick)

Note too that I have included eligible PSD & Rookie drafted players after our last picks in the national draft.

2004:

National 13 Matthew Bate Angus Monfries

National 15 Lynden Dunn Cameron Wood, Dean Polo, Nathan van Berlo, Brent Prismall

National 43 Michael Newton Justin Sherman, Brad Moran, Matthew Egan, Will Thursfield (Rookie), Josh Gibson (Rookie)

Rookie 10 Brendan Van Schaik Danyle Pearce, Clinton Young, Dale Morris, Harry O'Brien, John Griffen, Beau Wilkes

Rookie 26 Matthew Warnock Ryan Crowley, Aaron Edwards, Josh Drummond

2005:

National 12 Nathan Jones Shannon Hurn, Grant Birchall, Garrick Ibbotson

National 53 Simon Buckley Joel Patfull

National 60 Clint Bartram Mathew Stokes

National 68 Heath Neville Jason Porplyzia (PSD), Alan Toovey (Rookie)

Rookie 9 Jace Bode

Rookie 25 Daniel Hughes Matthew Priddis, Stpehen Gilham, Cameron Howat

Rookie 39 Shane Neaves Cheynee Stiller, Ben McGlynn, Kieran Jack, Ed Barlow

2006:

National 12 James Frawley Jack Riewoldt, Mitchell Brown, Leroy Jetta, Shaun Grigg, Albert Proud

National 30 Ricky Petterd Kurt Tippett, Jarryd Morton, Alwyn Davey, Bachar Houli

National 46 Colin Garland Kyle Reimers, Lindsay Thomas, Robert Gray, Josh Hill

National 62 Isaac Weetra Tyson Goldsack, Justin Westhoff, Aaron Edwards, David Rodan, Sharrod Wellingham (rookie)

Rookie 12 Daniel Hayes Jamie McNamara, Michael Jamison, Jake King, Jarrod Harbrow, Matt Campbell, Martin Clarke, Beau Wilkes

I have excluded the 2007 draft as it is too early to call on so many players.

Well researched, but remember every club could do the same type of list.

It has to be taken as a given that most players drafted don't become good players. Many will prove very ordinary.

Interesting Cold Hard Truth. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But players such as Tyson Goldsack, Josh Drummond, Brent Prismall, Harry O'Brien, the Porpus and Jack Riewoldt do raise eyebrows.

Having said that, happy with Bate, Jones, Buckley & Garland picks.

I think he is a great size and has the althetic ability of the emerging modern day CHB - can't wait to see what he can produce next year after two years settling into the system and developing his body for AFL footy.

As i've outlined above, there proably isn't many other players you would consider getting instead of Frawley at Pick 12.

if we didnt take him at 12 west coast would of taken him at 13. he'll get there just needs a big pre-season.

Dont count your chickens before their hatched.

I would wait at least 5 years before I get carried away with a draft year performance.

None of the players listed have achieved anything to get into raptures yet. Some still have question marks on them yet some posters seem rapt so far. Amazing.

There is some potential and IMO only Morton has the potential to develop into a "star". He still has a way to go to get there

I find it odd that you advise caution but then go on to say that only Morton potential "star" quality. Especially given that, until last year, Gary Ablett Jnr. was a mediocre small forward.

I do agree however that many posters somethimes get a little carried away with hope.

Guest Golgothan

What about Mitch Brown? Twin brother of collingwood's Nathan. Widely regarded as west coast next FF

But i don't rate Riewoldt ahead of Frawley currently. Frawley has managed more games and has shown just as much but at a club in a poor ladder position. I hold hope for Frawley and think he may still need a little more time then next year, which is fine because we've got some good defensive depth.

Interesting Cold Hard Truth. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But players such as Tyson Goldsack, Josh Drummond, Brent Prismall, Harry O'Brien, the Porpus and Jack Riewoldt do raise eyebrows.

Having said that, happy with Bate, Jones, Buckley & Garland picks.

The Porpus was delisted and re-drafted by Adelaide that same year, he's been around since about 03.

And Josh Drummond from what I've heard was a dud as a junior and Brisbane took a massive gamble on him (which has paid off obviously).

Goldsack and O'Brien, who are essentially key defenders, are both undersized and don't have great skills so it's understandable that they were overlooked

The Porpus was delisted and re-drafted by Adelaide that same year, he's been around since about 03.

And Josh Drummond from what I've heard was a dud as a junior and Brisbane took a massive gamble on him (which has paid off obviously).

Goldsack and O'Brien, who are essentially key defenders, are both undersized and don't have great skills so it's understandable that they were overlooked

Like I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and all it does for me is raise an eyebrow, to see who has kicked on. It is understandable to see that they were overlooked, and where we have done well with some.

I find it odd that you advise caution but then go on to say that only Morton potential "star" quality. Especially given that, until last year, Gary Ablett Jnr. was a mediocre small forward.

I do agree however that many posters somethimes get a little carried away with hope.

You should not. I said Morton has the potential to be that star but he has a long way to go. :blink:

BTW, Ablett was better than mediocre prior to 2007. He was already showing signs that he was a class act from his early days. He has just got better. And I dont think it has any relevance to my comments on Morton.

You should not. I said Morton has the potential to be that star but he has a long way to go. :blink:

BTW, Ablett was better than mediocre prior to 2007. He was already showing signs that he was a class act from his early days. He has just got better. And I dont think it has any relevance to my comments on Morton.

Well, what you actually said was that:

only Morton has the potential to develop into a "star".

The "only" part being the significant bit as it implies that no-one else has that potential. I was just pointing out that if it's "too early to count your chickens" it's also to early to discount any of our other young promising players from becoming stars in the future.

And Ablett may well have been "beter than mediocre" but that's about it. Are you saying that Morton is the only young player who is better than mediocre for their age level and experience?

Guest Demon heart
Not sure about Jones. I have severe doubts.

i have to disagree with you, jones will be a fantastic player. on the other hand i dont rate buckly has high as others....

Two years ago Ablett was a big of confidence and a big pre-season away from being what he is now. He was no less a player, just couldn't run in the midfield and there's been tonnes of stuff mentioned about that sit down session the Cats had where they told him he should be the equal of Judd

Well, what you actually said was that:

No. What I said was this:

Remember always quote in context. My statement hardly suggests counting chickens early. Thanks for the nitpicking.

The "only" part being the significant bit as it implies that no-one else has that potential. I was just pointing out that if it's "too early to count your chickens" it's also to early to discount any of our other young promising players from becoming stars in the future.

I didnt say they would not but I have not seen that potential thus far that I have seen in Morton. Happy for that to change. I have been waiting since Flower retired for MFC to develop its next truly top line player.

And Ablett may well have been "beter than mediocre" but that's about it. Are you saying that Morton is the only young player who is better than mediocre for their age level and experience?

If any of the mentioned players showed what Ablett showed in his career pre 2006, I would be rapt. He played 100 games in his first 5 years as a small forward for 120 goals and GFC goalkicking award in 2006.

Morton is 18 years old and has managed to play some very good football at the highest level in a crud team. I think there is so much to like about the football nous and ability of someone so you. Is there any other 18 year that can demonstrate similar poise?