Brad Green

Guest unstable punt

So you want to win and be successful as possible but you dont support administrations or boards? Gotcha. :wacko:But you support football teams. If you take out the Board, administrations and players out of football club what do you have? Alot of supporters with alot of history and nothing else.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are all talking ourselves into a mess (an affliction at this time of year).......

Especially given that no-one has actually publicly declared the want to move, or be moved

And most of our opinions are being based on Gerard Healy's unfounded speculation.

We'll know soon enough, but if he goes (and I'd trade others first) lets hope we get a worthy return.

Wasn't it reported in one of the Melb dailies first?

Someone said Sheahan mentioned it.

Babe I'm in Sydney so I don't know, only what I read here :rolleyes: !!!

Comment in Australian article that Green wants 3 yr deal, we are offering 2yr. No mention of $'s being problem.

Puts a slightly different complexion on it. But our recent history of giving 3yr contracts has not been good for the club, so .............

Article: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5012432,00.html

our very recent history on 3yr contracts is that we give 2 year contracts ;)

Incorrect. Comedy thread you might find in "General Discussion".

LOL totaly agree no finals next year for us unless they are considering the bottom 8 having their own finals

Come on and be realistic 3 yrs to build up at least

• 2 weeks later...

I know many rumours are spread around and most are just that..Rumours! Just wanted to share a rumour outta Tassie. Yes it is one of those friend of a friend rumours but interestingly the ``friend`` is close mates with Greeny`s old man . He says Greeny will be chasing the money and as we all have heard lately that the club intend to cut the salary cap considerably this year , I doubt he will be getting offered any pay rises in a hurry. Bailey has also clearly stated that he wants a team that want to play for the jumper and if they are chasing money then the answer is pretty simple that they won`t be at the club. It is interesting that Greeny is currently out of contract however (correct me if I`m wrong!)! As much as I think Greeny should be our Captain next year I will not be at all surprised if he is traded. He probably has the best dollar value of any of our players and if TJ can get us a pick 14, personally I think Brad has had a far better past 2 years than TJ has , so a top 20 pick is definitely not out of the picture and IMO considering how important this years draft will be, I think there is far more upside in recruiting a new kid who just might be around for 10 years as opposed to 2 more very good years from Brad Green in a team that will not be pressing for a flag for at least 3 years

green would be a handy addition to a team that believes they are challanging in the next two years. he will go in hard, and can play in almost any position, making him great cover for a whole range of players. i am not sure if he fits carltons window, but imo he would be a cheaper pick up than kerr for them, and probably have just as much effect. i think he is too short for the dogs, and hawthorn and geelong wont want him. so that being said, who is left for green? st kilda? i thought this would be their last roll, but maybe. collingwood? likely the best option for green, coming into a window with a good group of young kids...adelaide? im not really sure about the state of their list, but i think they are perhaps on the down not up.

If we managed to get a pick 10-25 for green or bruce i'd take it.

althing worse than that then just keep them.

imagine having 4 top 20 picks- 2008

3 top 20 picks- 2007 (Morton, Maric and Grimes)

and probably another 3 top 20 picks in 2009

That would set us up for a complete rebuild!!!

green would be a handy addition to a team that believes they are challanging in the next two years. he will go in hard, and can play in almost any position, making him great cover for a whole range of players. i am not sure if he fits carltons window, but imo he would be a cheaper pick up than kerr for them, and probably have just as much effect. i think he is too short for the dogs, and hawthorn and geelong wont want him. so that being said, who is left for green? st kilda? i thought this would be their last roll, but maybe. collingwood? likely the best option for green, coming into a window with a good group of young kids...adelaide? im not really sure about the state of their list, but i think they are perhaps on the down not up.

Good Post 'deanox', I think your close to the money. Bullies obviously need talls in a hurry so their quick need probably will count us out for their first pick of around 14/5, so more likely 2nd rnder from somewhere.

Deanox highlights the aspect thats the dilemma for the MGC footy dept.. What is Brads real value, both to us as an established talented player who has the repsect of the team etc...also what is his value on the 'market' ?

He's what..27.. be 28 start of next season. He's pretty fit and afaik free of major injuries. Brad is a very handy player if not quite tier 1.

He could easily get a game with most teams bar Geelong and probably Hawthorn. teams such as StKilda , Adelaide Sydney and the Doggies could probably find him more than useful over the next couple of years as they have a tilt.

Thats the crux of the matter isnt it.. Other teams wil be havinga look through the window...and we wont !! So what added currency does he carry wtih these teasm for 2-3 years as compared to us ? We might be seriously competitive in 4-5 years but Brad WONT be !!

So is this indeed where we box clever..and do something very un Melb and cash in that currency NOW.. and invest it into some others who will be hitting their straps in 4-5 ??

Of course it all hinges on what is ofered etc...but I would be very open to "listening' to other clubs right now !!

He could easily get a game with most teams bar Geelong and probably Hawthorn.

ne1 who thinks Green couldn't get a game with Hawks or Cats loses respect immediately, both teams would be happy to slot another running, marking, goal-kicking, target-hitting, courageous player to their list. How good would Green be with the support that the Premiership favourites could provide? It would be Alves to North, Wells to Blues, Healy to Swans all over again! I was bought up with the 'don't give a mug an even break' philosophy. Appoint him captain, tell the others to bugger off and watch the final few chapters of a Demon great unfold! With our baby list... let's keep a few shining lights over 25 around the place to lead the way.

ne1 who thinks Green couldn't get a game with Hawks or Cats loses respect immediately,

I'll juist have to live with that ..lol :rolleyes:

I hear its pretty tough geting a gig down at Corio.. and Im not sure who you would displace at Hawthorn..but thats your stance..thats fine

Brad's a very good player..in a very very VERY average team. He's not Tier 1 for mine..those two teams are !!

Green just might be a fit for the Eagles - I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as us. And Daniher is there now.

And they would get him for nothing in PSD. ;)

Both WA teams are cashed up. Freo have in excess of $2m available in the cap and West Coast have quite a lot available too. If Melbourne are making big $$ offers to Warnock, you couldn't blame Green looking for the $$ elsewhere. Could make for an interesting PSD.

Guest Chopper
Both WA teams are cashed up. Freo have in excess of $2m available in the cap and West Coast have quite a lot available too. If Melbourne are making big $$ offers to Warnock, you couldn't blame Green looking for the $$ elsewhere. Could make for an interesting PSD.

I dont think $ is the problem. He wants 3 years, we're offering him 2.

my point is that i am not sure who would want him. obviosuly id love to trade him for a pick in the top 20 or 15, not that i have anything against green, but because i see that as the way forward for the mfc. but you would assume the only teams chasing a 27 yo would be teams in the window within a year or two. so i think we can fairly write off all teams outside the top 8. the exception is carlton, because i think they believe they are going up, and they probably want to make the most of fevolas last few years as well. so the 9 clubs that might be interested are:

geelong- i cant see why they would want to ship in a non key (ie not a KPP or a star midfield) player, who they would have to pay well, and who would only contribute for 2-3 years, given that their list is already good, balanced, they will have to start paying extra for players soon anyway, and they already have younger players starved of opportunity. unless the deal involved say prismal for green, in which case it is probably a win for both clubs.

hawthorn - similar to geelong i cant see them bringing in an outsider into their mix of young home grown players. also as other players stocks rise so will their contracts. however he could be a good replacement as an experienced player for shane crawford who is surely almost gone. hawthorn have a key part of their list in the 25-26 year old bracket, and they will want to make the most of that before dew croad, bateman, jacobs, guerra, campbell, and osburn all retire. on the other side, they may want to hold onto their draft picks to develop younger players who will play wth buddy/roughead in years to come.

western bulldogs- after watching them on friday night i cannot see them chasing after another mid sized player, who can play forward back or midfield. the dogs need genuine KPPs, up front and back, and it wouldn;t surprise me if they chased some. they went after welsh last year, but he is a 2nd or 3rd tall, and they could use a genuine tall prospect.

st kilda- ageing list, in terms of where their experience lies, and it might come down to how far they get this finals series. should they reach a prelim or the GF, expect them to top up through trading for another roll of the dice next year. if they get knocked out in straight sets, they may decide to go with youth to bolster their list for the next 5 years, which will be the last parts of reiwoldts career.

adelaide- after being knocked out today, i cant imagine the crows are thinking premierships next year. and brad green wont make the difference to that side. they will also hold pick 9 which is higher than green is worth, and their next pick, 27, is probably lower than we would be hoping for.

north melbourne- will have picks in the 10-12 mark, which again is probably slightly too high. but like a couple of other clubs, their experience is getting older (25 and above), unlike the hawthorn and geelongs. that might mean north are keen to top up. last year, north traded later picks for players, including sam power, whos age fits in with the older bracket. perhaps they will be keen to secure another player in that group, especially if they win a couple of finals? green could be utilised to replace shannon grant around the forward line. they might not be keen to lose pick 10, but if they make the prelim and have pick 13 or 14 it might be a chance. but i would expect that picks 28-32, their second round picks, would be to low for the dees.

sydney- similar to north, how long do the swans have left with the current grounp? if they get knocked out early it might be time to pull the plug on a few careers and start rebuilding, but if they win a couple paul roos will be keen to have another crack with this group, because his time will only last so long. as above, if they win a final or two they could have pick 13 or 14 which is a possibility only if they think green will add to their structure. i think sydney probably lack a couple of tall players, but green fits their current mold of mid range height. and he is willing to back into a pack for the team.

collingwod- always after a player, is brad green a big enough name? i can see brad working for collingwood, and believe they would probably have the right draft picks to trade. they wont want to trade any players away to get him, and they might be keen to draft for kids to supplement their current young talent. however, if they want to make the most of burns, presti, obree, lockyer, johnson and davis, green might be a good pick up to help get them there next year.

carlton - as i said above, carlton have a pretty young list, however nick stevens and fevola, two key players for the blues, only have 3 years left. as the murphy, and gibbs brigade get better the blues believe they have a real shot in maybe 2 years. brad green would be perfect for that. the issues here are money, how could they possibly afford him while paying judd and fev (although it is carlton, and we know they have a way around these things. and would they prefer to go youth, to support the young brigade. do they really believe they have a shot with fev and stevens? or will they sacrifice this window for a bigger one that could open in 4-5 years?

I dont think $ is the problem. He wants 3 years, we're offering him 2.

whats the chances he'll the Garry Lyon talking to !! :D

Same rubbish with Robbo last year...if only a year !!

Still he's free to look for the best deal, he owes that to himself.

He could easily get a game with most teams bar Geelong and probably Hawthorn.

ne1 who thinks Green couldn't get a game with Hawks or Cats loses respect immediately, both teams would be happy to slot another running, marking, goal-kicking, target-hitting, courageous player to their list. How good would Green be with the support that the Premiership favourites could provide? It would be Alves to North, Wells to Blues, Healy to Swans all over again!

:lol::lol:

Nothing like overrating our own is there WW? :rolleyes:

Green is not even in Alves, Healy or Wells orbit.

Neither Geelong nor the Hawks would need Green.

He is honest. He is hardworking but he is not the sort of player that Clubs would pay hard to get hold of. Each of the Cats and Hawks have him covered.